Is it a good use of energy to try and become proficient enough in legends for debate?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk

cs_zoltan
SW debating is not a good use of energy in any shape or form.

UCanShootMyNova
Last year I would have just advised you to become knowledgable in Canon but at the rate they're putting new material out usable for debating material ( far too slowly ) I wouldn't advise it. I'd focus on a certain character or era and expand out from there in Legends.

Unless you're a slow researcher. Then by all means, go for Canon.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by cs_zoltan

This most of all.

Azronger
If you want to debate Legends, go for it. If not, don't.

Kurk
Good practice for academic papers Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Last year I would have just advised you to become knowledgable in Canon but at the rate they're putting new material out usable for debating material ( far too slowly ) I wouldn't advise it. I'd focus on a certain character or era and expand out from there in Legends.

Unless you're a slow researcher. Then by all means, go for Canon.
I was thinking about just focusing on a couple characters, but then I would have to depend on those characters being matched by chance.

Maybe focusing on just one era is a better choice.

Do you still believe canon debating material isn't going to produce itself faster anytime soon? Wouldn't the new movies change that?

cs_zoltan
Don't debate stuff you don't care about. Read/debate about era/character you'd like to. It's that simple.

UCanShootMyNova
It doesn't seem like it.

Kurk
Don't debate stuff you don't care about. Read/debate about era/character you'd like to. It's that simple. But you need to know about your opponent to make true counter arguments, don't you? I may not care much about Mace, but I need to understand him in order to debate him vs Dooku for example.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Kurk
But you need to know about your opponent to make true counter arguments, don't you? I may not care much about Mace, but I need to understand him in order to debate him vs Dooku for example.

Nah, ask for quotes and sources. I haven't read a single NJO book but I'm still capable of arguing against characters of that era by simply reading a few pages around quotes that get posted. No need for me to read everything about a specific character.

UCanShootMyNova
Zoltan's on point with da advice tbh.

Geistalt
SW debating is not a good use of energy in any shape or form. Not to say that I wouldn't try my hand at it anyways (against my better judgment).

The Ellimist
Nah, ask for quotes and sources. I haven't read a single NJO book but I'm still capable of arguing against characters of that era by simply reading a few pages around quotes that get posted. No need for me to read everything about a specific character.

thumb up Your general debating ability is probably more important, which extends to rhetoric, argumentation and also knowing how to extract context from people's evidence/not being gullible.

Kurk
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Zoltan's on point with da advice tbh.
ikr, I'm surprised he's not telling me to drink bleach or take potassium cyanide.

Good point Mr. Zoltan. I think I'll switch to focusing on select characters.
But that of course is a recipe for inherit bias in any debate so what's the point if you turn into EmperorDMB and say that Bane could defeat Mace and Vader together.

cs_zoltan
Liking a character and hence arguing for it doesn't necessary make you biased. You can also use your knowledge to argue why (s)he'd lose a matchup.

I say why put effort into arguing for a character you don't care about? I certainly don't like SW debating that much. Just don't go overboard and become obsessed with them winning. There's no shame in your fav made up characters losing to other made up characters.

UCanShootMyNova
ikr, I'm surprised he's not telling me to drink bleach or take potassium cyanide.

Good point Mr. Zoltan. I think I'll switch to focusing on select characters.
But that of course is a recipe for inherit bias in any debate so what's the point if you turn into EmperorDMB and say that Bane could defeat Mace and Vader together.

He puts Bane > Caedus.

Emperordmb
I don't think Bane can take Mace and Vader together wtf

Kurk
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I don't think Bane can take Mace and Vader together wtf
Well Bane > Mace and Bane > Vader right?

The Ellimist
Good practice for academic papers

In all seriousness, more general debating ability is actually useful in real life as long as you know when it's applicable.

quanchi112
Kurk is dumb. Canon.

Kurk
Originally posted by quanchi112
Kurk is dumb. Canon.
I learn from you, my master.

quanchi112
I learn from you, my master. I know you've come slithering back eager for more of my wisdom.

#calledit

UCanShootMyNova
Quan don't fall for it. He's just going to gather info on you again.

quanchi112
He will have to Quanchi4life on his back to get another chance as my footstool.

Kurk
http://i.gifntext.com/42092-i-pledge-myself-to-your-teachings.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.