Clones overrated?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
I've noticed this in discussions, not really here and not nessecarily by those with SW knowledge that Clone Troopers are like the best thing ever.

But I'm thinking....is that really true? This just being the regular Clone Trooper mind you that people hype up.

The reason why I question this is...yes they are clones of the famous Jango Fett, but they have none of his skill and are trained completely different from how he was, all they have is his body.

This is one of the reasons people think they are the best and I'm not arguing this...but I'm not really seeing other than that they are Clones, how they are any different compared to other Troopers. Because a time comes, when there's only so much training your standard Trooper gets that before it becomes sort of redundant.

Another reason is that they killed the Jedi. Which yes again, they did...but when you look at it..why is this like the best thing ever? They did this with overwhelming numbers and surprise, you can't really argue against this because it's directly shown.

Ok...so other Troopers wouldn't be able to do this, if given the exact same circumstances? Mandalorians wouldn't be able to? Morgukais wouldn't be able to?

This seems kinda stupid and it's not as if it hasn't been shown Jedi getting overwhelmed by sheer numbers from something other than Clone Troopers. Reminding the Arena battle in AoTC?

Speaking of overwhelming numbers, the CIS. The Clone Troopers are well trained, alright we all know this. The thing of it is, that really makes me scratch my head with people overrating the Clone Troopers is this...

Their opposition wasn't....all that spectacular. I mean the CIS consisted of what? A bunch of corporate businessmen and a few Generals that actually knew what they were doing....and a bunch of droids.

Which the strategy as I see it is...to just throw large numbers in battle and hope for the best. This is seen in TPM, this is seen in AoTC, this is seen in OCW and just about every other EU material.

Why this is bad is...down to the individual trooper, the Battle Droids weren't tactful at all. They just walked forward with blasters blazing and the Clones did use tactics to take them out, which is great. However this would be a little more impressive if the droids weren't stupid.

This is kinda the flaw here I see...they themselves were smart, all the way down to the individual trooper, their opposition was not.

I mean you could say that the Clones could adapt if their opposition was actually smart enough to do something more than just walk or run forward. Which yes they could, but at the same time...I feel like there would be some kind of disadvantage because the Clones are more use to fighting droids than actual people who could think a step ahead or two.

So what's the consensus here folks?

relentless1
I've only ever seen debates on wether or not the Clonetroopers were superior to Stormtroopers and they certainly are superior.

As far as the rest of the larger Star Wars universe is concerned they were fodder as soon as they were required to be; once they became "evil" and obeyed the Chancellor/Emperors command they all of a sudden became way more inept lol.

Zenwolf
I don't really find Clones to be superior to Storms, with all the material I've read, they at best are equal where any difference is kinda negligible training wise, though elsewhere not so much. (Please don't derail the topic here.)

But anyway that isn't being discussed here, the question is...are they overrated?

Selenial
Yes, coming from the EU readers, no from anywhere else.

TCW ruined them like it ruined most of the EU, TBH.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Selenial
Yes, coming from the EU readers, no from anywhere else.

TCW ruined them like it ruined most of the EU, TBH.

Edit: Oh nvrm, I see.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.