Can Yoda defend against Drain?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
Discuss

Ursumeles
Depends on the drain user. He could probably do it at least to an exent, like Krayt did to Abeloth and Luke.

Azronger
Well, obviously, but does he know any specific technique?

DarthAnt66
Yes.

Azronger
Quote?

Deronn_solo
I think any high-level Force extent, but I doubt Yoda knows any specific techniques to resisting it.

If so, why didn't he teach it to Anakin instead of Ulic? We also know the second most powerful Jedi on the council, Mace Windu, was powerless against drain, too.

Nephthys
Regular drain? Yes. Nihilus and Traya's drain? No. Valkorion's drain? Who knows.

Darth Abonis
Possible it is

Azronger
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
I think any high-level Force extent, but I doubt Yoda knows any specific techniques to resisting it.

If so, why didn't he teach it to Anakin instead of Ulic? We also know the second most powerful Jedi on the council, Mace Windu, was powerless against drain, too.

Could Anakin have taught it to the rest of the Order?

Azronger
Originally posted by Nephthys
Regular drain? Yes. Nihilus and Traya's drain? No. Valkorion's drain? Who knows.

Valkorion's drain is regular drain.

Nephthys
The one he used on Ziost? Lol no.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Azronger
Could Anakin have taught it to the rest of the Order?
mmm

Possible. Thing is, the technique for one reason or another, leads one to drift towards the dark side.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/93477/3207236-0148248616-DarkR.png

"The ancient Jedi Master warned that the knowledge he would pass to Anakin would let him resist the effects of the Force stripping Harvester and Dark Reaper it activated, but would perhaps give him too much power. Anakin was confident he could avoid the temptation of the dark side, so with one last warning, Ulic told him what he needed to know."

Knowing how cautions the Jedi Order can be, I doubt it would be something they would want taught. That being said, it's entirely possible someone like Yoda would know of the technique regardless given his role in the Jedi Order, and such.

Azronger
The one he used on Ziost? Lol no.

It's just a Death Field on a planetary scale.

Azronger
mmm

Possible. Thing is, the technique for one reason or another, leads one to drift towards the dark side.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/93477/3207236-0148248616-DarkR.png

"The ancient Jedi Master warned that the knowledge he would pass to Anakin would let him resist the effects of the Force stripping Harvester and Dark Reaper it activated, but would perhaps give him too much power. Anakin was confident he could avoid the temptation of the dark side, so with one last warning, Ulic told him what he needed to know."

Knowing how cautions the Jedi Order can be, I doubt it would be something they would want taught. That being said, it's entirely possible someone like Yoda would know of the technique regardless given his role in the Jedi Order, and such.

It's not the technique itself, but it feeding into Anakin's arrogance that would lead to the dark side, I think.

But yeah, the Jedi were probably just too cautious to distribute knowledge of it freely.

SunRazer
Yoda doesn't seem to know specific techniques to counter Drain, but he can probably prevent himself from being Drained by anyone just because of how powerful he is.

TenebrousWay
Yoda should be learned enough in the Force to know how to mitigate it's effects, even if he doesn't have formal knowledge on the subject. Plus, he's freaking powerful.

NewGuy01
It's just a Death Field on a planetary scale.

I doubt it. More likely that it's some variation of the Nathema ritual.

Azronger
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I doubt it. More likely that it's some variation of the Nathema ritual.

My point was that it's effects don't deviate from standard Drain.

SunRazer
The Nathema ritual is not akin to Drain Life at all.

Azronger
It killed every being on the planet and transferred the energy to Vitiate. That's exactly like Bane's Death Field in DoE, except on a larger scale.

SunRazer
It also stripped the planet of the Force, which Drain Life doesn't do.

That's like saying Nihilus' Drain on Katarr is the same as Vitiate's ritual or Bane's Death Field (on a larger scale) since he killed every being on the planet and transferred the energy to him. Which it isn't.

MythLord
Originally posted by SunRazer
Yoda doesn't seem to know specific techniques to counter Drain, but he can probably prevent himself from being Drained by anyone just because of how powerful he is.

I wouldn't be surprised if he knows, however. But prolly this. thumb up

Azronger
Originally posted by SunRazer
It also stripped the planet of the Force, which Drain Life doesn't do.

That's like saying Nihilus' Drain on Katarr is the same as Vitiate's ritual or Bane's Death Field (on a larger scale) since he killed every being on the planet and transferred the energy to him. Which it isn't.

The Force being stripped could've just been a result of so many simultaneous deaths. Alderaan and Malachor V became wounds simply because of that.

Nephthys
erm

Azronger
It's a likely possibility.

Nephthys
If you don't know anything about Kotor II or Swtor, sure.

Geistalt

Azronger
If you don't know anything about Kotor II or Swtor, sure.

Enlighten me, then.

quanchi112
Originally posted by MythLord
I wouldn't be surprised if he knows, however. But prolly this. thumb up So not one solid good reason but hey I bet he could because he's powerful. laughing out loud

Fanboyism is running wild. Yoda wasn't even powerful enough to beat his lesser Dooku in combat.

S_W_LeGenD
Valkorion's drain is regular drain.
Valkorion had mastered (and employed) different Force Drain techniques.

He demonstrated the pinnacle of Force Drain powers on Ziost in particular; unidentified technique though. Only Darth Nihilus matched it.

Azronger
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Valkorion had mastered (and employed) different Force Drain techniques.

He demonstrated the pinnacle of Force Drain powers on Ziost in particular; unidentified technique though. Only Darth Nihilus matched it.

All are variations of regular drain.

S_W_LeGenD
All are variations of regular drain.
What do you mean by that?

Force Drain is just an umbrella term for describing techniques with the shared goal of feeding on the energy of victims without their consent. However, these techniques significantly vary in nature and their implications. For example Drain Life Essence and Death Field are two different Force powers.

Azronger
Death Field is just a variation of Drain Life. Force Drain is a completely different power.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/force-misconceptions-force-drain-kotor-ii/128438/#comments-block-1828641

S_W_LeGenD
Death Field is just a variation of Drain Life. Force Drain is a completely different power.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/force-misconceptions-force-drain-kotor-ii/128438/#comments-block-1828641
Fair.

But your point is similar to mine; Drain techniques significantly vary in nature and their implications.

Now, identity following Drain techniques:-

Example 1:

In return, the Emperor draws on his servant's strength in the Force and body to feed his ever-increasing power, leaving the servants withered and frail.

Example 2:

The temple became a nexus of dark side energy as the Emperor performed rituals within, drawing strength and knowledge from his captives.

Example 3:

REVAN COULD FEEL THE EMPEROR FEEDING ON HIM, drawing on his power to sate his endless hunger.

Example 4:

"The scores of dead have nourished me. I am awakened. And I bring with me--death!"

Example 5:

Obsessed with achieving immortality, the Sith Emperor has targeted his own former subjects on the planet Ziost, with every death seemingly extending his dark power.

Example 6:

https://i.imgur.com/wQ7QCJM.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/EvIcDCN.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/YSRDKed.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ortG6ew.mp4

Deronn_solo
If Yoda knew how to circumvent Drain, why was Anakin the only one in the entire Jedi Order, capable of stopping the Dark Reaper and not Yoda?

Wishful thinking, isn't sufficient evidence, lmao.

MythLord
And why wouldn't Anakin teach the technique to Yoda?

Deronn_solo
Because he had zero actual reason to?

Again, wishful thinking isn't actual evidence.

MythLord
Except, y'know, teaching people close to him how to defend themselves against one of the deadliest techniques in the galaxy...

Deronn_solo
Besides the fact that the teachings were dangerous and that Mace, second in command behind Yoda, was drained of his energy by life sucking Vampires, AFTER the Dark Reaper Crisis?

Azronger
Besides the fact that the teachings were dangerous and that Mace, second in command behind Yoda, was drained of his energy by life sucking Vampires, AFTER the Dark Reaper Crisis?

Source?

Deronn_solo
Don't have the scans, but it happen in Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures "No Way Out" comic series.

I'll see if I can scan the comic after I finished watching "Wrong Turn" on my tablet.

aalyasecura95
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111140132/4915385-windu.png

thumb up . google search "mace windu drain"

Deronn_solo
Ah, that's it. Thanks Secura. smile

SunRazer
The Force being stripped could've just been a result of so many simultaneous deaths. Alderaan and Malachor V became wounds simply because of that.

Except Malachor wasn't stripped of the Force as Nathema was, lol.

MythLord

I find the avatar of Light is more than capable enough to learn dangerous teachings that padawan Annie could.

Also, quote/source for it being after the Dark Reaper Crisis? And the Countess was draining an unready Mace who had no idea he was being depowered and was fighting hordes and hordes of zombies.

Not to mention, her Draining technique isn't the same as Nihilus' or Valkorion's, or the Dark Reaper's, in terms of its properties.

Nephthys
Suggesting that Anakin would teach Yoda the technique is entirely speculative and baseless. With the Dark Reaper destroyed there'd be no reason to and with a war on, more pressing things to do.

MythLord
I'd imagine Anakin would've thought the ability is useful and would come in handy if the Sith ever try such a trick again.

Seems likely he'd at least share what he learned to benefit the future of the Order.

Nephthys
Your imagination isn't proof or evidence though.

But yeah, Anakin sure is big on sharing for the benefit of the order. thumb up

MythLord
Neither is yours, but you seem to think it's more legit than canonical statements. thumb up

And yeah, Anakin would've definitely wanted to benefit the Order at this time, since his faith in it hasn't been shaken yet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.