Arrival

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
aTNJtEXYsyw

100% Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016/

Zack M
Can't wait for this. Should be good.

steverules_2
Does look pretty good, what's your opinion TI? ...Oh....

Patient_Leech
This has gotten amazing reviews, but I find all the "stars" in it extremely boring.

Esau Cairn
Reviews say it's pretty slow & artsy.

People expecting Independence Day will be disappointed when they get Close Encounters...

BruceSkywalker
read the short story this is based on and that is much better no doubt

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Reviews say it's pretty slow & artsy.

People expecting Independence Day will be disappointed when they get Close Encounters...

PTHEHH More like they are gonna get a repeat of CONTACT.....

xvJrNDeogc8

Patient_Leech
Contact is great. The book is at least. The movie at least captured the spirit of the book.

Yeah, this does look like a bit more of an intellectual and artsy ID4. So what's the point of seeing it on the big screen?? I'll wait...

BruceSkywalker
looks like this is DEAD ON Arrival

dynamix
just came back room watching this and i really liked it. Its pretty slow pace so u have to go in expecting that but the cinematography was insanely dope. There was a spin a specific trope that i thought was pretty clever. i give it a 8.5/10

Quincy
It is pretty slow and it is artsy and it is very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It "got me" and there is a really sweet reveal that upends the movie like woah.

Kazenji
Found out this is yet another in a long line of movies, Where there were some scenes in the trailer for it which didn't make it to the final cut.

Ascendancy
I take it this is like all the slow eye sex of Interstellar with the pacing of Contact? Trying to decide between this and The Accountant for the Thanksgiving family film.

Patient_Leech
I keep hearing nothing but good things about this. As bored as I am by the cast, I guess I'll have to give it a chance at some point..

Inhuman
Saw this , I thought it was alright.
But not as good as I heard. Strange cause I like these type of movies.

Kinda similar to when I saw Birdman. Thought it was going to be great based on reviews but thought it was meh

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Inhuman
Saw this , I thought it was alright.
But not as good as I heard. Strange cause I like these type of movies.

Kinda similar to when I saw Birdman. Thought it was going to be great based on reviews but thought it was meh Phuck

I'm about to watch it tonight, and this is exactly what I thought of Sicario. It's by the same director so this doesn't bode well

Darth Thor
Saw this. Should have watched Fantastic Beasts instead.

It was okay in the end. But very very slow.

Flyattractor
Yeah. I could see this but it def don't sound like a Theater Watch.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Darth Thor

It was okay in the end. But very very slow. I saw Fantastic Beasts instead

It was OK too. Not amazing, but not bad

|King Joker|
I loved it, and was enthralled with the plot the whole time. I thought the pacing was perfectly fine as well.

Arachnid1

It was okay in the end. But very very slow. Now that I've seen this movie, I highly disagree. This movie was great, and was a lot more enjoyable than FB.

GREAT twist at the end

ares834
Saw this a few days ago. It was quite good, though nowhere near as good as the hype suggests.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Now that I've seen this movie, I highly disagree. This movie was great, and was a lot more enjoyable than FB.

GREAT twist at the end

To each their own. The ending was the only thing that made the film bearable for me.

carthage
facepalm

Robtard
Recently caught this, not a spectacular groundbreaking film, but good, imo. Worth the watch for any SciFi fan, just don't go in expecting fast-paced action.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Robtard
Recently caught this, not a spectacular groundbreaking film, but good, imo. Worth the watch for any SciFi fan, just don't go in expecting fast-paced action.

How does it compare to something like Interstellar?

Khazra Reborn
Just saw this, I was a bit disappointed, not due to the pacing or anything. I just felt the pay off regarding the 'universal language' was a bit lame.

carthage
You'd have to be a pretty big meathead to expect action in a film about linguistics and aliens unlocking the purpose of humanity.

Khazra Reborn
When did I say I was expecting action? I was simply a bit let down by the films final reveal.

Mindship
Originally posted by Robtard
Recently caught this, not a spectacular groundbreaking film, but good, imo. Worth the watch for any SciFi fan, just don't go in expecting fast-paced action. thumb up

Originally posted by Ascendancy
How does it compare to something like Interstellar? Interstellar had more action, iirc. Interstellar I also consider the true successor to 2001: a space odyssey, in terms of awe-inspiring. The venue for Arrival was more contained, the concepts inspiring more fascination than awe, imo.

Robtard
Originally posted by Ascendancy
How does it compare to something like Interstellar?

It's a simpler story than Interstellar, but overall I think Interstellar was the better quality flick, story, script, acting etc., despite its issues. I liked Interstellar though, a lot of people didn't.

Dr Will Hatch
Yeah, I'd agree with Robtard. Interstellar was the more ambitious, gutsy movie, and imo, even though it didn't succeed in everything it was trying to do, it was more memorable than Arrival. Actually, both movies both have the Bootstrap Paradox inherent in them, which is interesting.

Overall, I liked Arrival. I enjoyed that it was about something that most sci-fi movies gloss over- how next to be impossible it would actually be for humans and aliens to communicate with one another. Amy Adams was great in it. It's not a masterpiece like Villeneve's last movie, Sicario, but it's worth going out to see for sure.

Inhuman
Interstellar would have been amazing if the 2nd and 3rd acts were about exploring the various worlds in that black hole/solor system like they did the water planet and ice planet. There were a few more planets they didnt go to if I remember. The bookshelf mind trip thing about love was stupid.
So if it was more space exploration and less "love" conquers all nonsense it would have been great not just ok.

StiltmanFTW
Should have watched Fantastic Beasts instead.

Shoot yourself in the head.

Can't imagine it being worse.

Ascendancy
Thanks for the insights, peeps.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.