Is the PT era *that* good with lightsabers, or are the other eras just not explored?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
If one were to list the top ten greatest duelists in Star Wars, I'd imagine that a vast majority would be from the prequel trilogy. Based on the seven forms of lightsaber combat, it can be argued that sine prequel trilogy character holds the trophy as the best practitioner of almost every form in all of history (ex. Yoda with Ataru, Dooku with Makashi, etc). So, I ask the question: is the prequel trilogy era just a blatant outlier when it comes to dueling skills, or is it simply because there's little works to really flesh out all the other era's dueling capabilities? If the former, why is this the case?

The Ellimist
Greater exposure plays a role, but it doesn't explain everything.

The fact of the matter is that the PT era has combatants like Yoda, Sidious, Anakin, Windu, Dooku and also the likes of Obi Wan, which in most eras would dominate everyone else in sabers. Yoda and Sidious (and Anakin, but I'll avoid that debate) in particular are beyond-Vitiate-level outliers of all history that would form an unstoppable central theme to any other era's conflict...and they're both in the PT era.

A lack of exposure seems implausible; it's rather implausible that there's a Yoda sitting somewhere that we've never heard of, given that the real Yoda's already been called the most powerful Jedi to his time ever, and given that this other Yoda is never mentioned. And we know factually that no sith before Sidious as powerful as him ever came.

This makes sense. It's reasonable to think that the Force would reach an appex around the moments of the Chosen One and the surrounding events, and it's already rational that saber technique would be refined and improve over the ages.

Zenwolf
Well yeah as of Canon.

TenebrousWay
On average? They should. This doesn't mean the heavy hitters of previous eras can't compete with them.

I have the personal opinion that PT era characters are the product of thousands of years of refinement and evolution in the quest to understand the mysteries of the Force. As such, I think they can do more with the same, if compared with the ancient characters.

The Ellimist
Well, Vitiate was the dominant power for like a thousand years. He was literally an existential threat that required the unification of the entire galaxy to stop. He's like the most powerful non-entity Force user through 24,000 years of history.

Then the PT era has Yoda and Sidious more powerful than him outright, Anakin situationally stronger and certainly moreso by potential, and if we lump in the rest of the modern era, several others with the potential to surpass him (Kyp, Galen, the Skywalkers, arguably Maul, etc.).

Yeah, it's not just exposure.

Ursumeles
Both.

Honestly, the Top dogs of the area(Yoda, Sidious, Anakin) aren't reached by anyone in history, bar Luke and maybe Caedus.
The next better ones(Windu, Tyranus, Kenobi, Maul) are reached by a few more(Revan, Krayt, Kun, Jaina, Cade, Arcann, Outlander, Ulic etc.), but the PT era likely still comes out on the top.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Both.

Honestly, the Top dogs of the area(Yoda, Sidious, Anakin) aren't reached by anyone in history, bar Luke and maybe Caedus.
The next better ones(Windu, Tyranus, Kenobi, Maul) are reached by a few more(Revan, Krayt, Kun, Jaina, Cade, Arcann, Outlander, Ulic etc.), but the PT era likely still comes out on the top.

Quit sucking his dick. Caedus is debunk, move on with your pathetic life.

Ursumeles
Still not sure how you can debunk a character mmm

ILS
They aren't just *that* good with lightsabers, they're the most powerful era of Star Wars, pound for pound, which is why they're better duelists. It's all derived from the Force.

It just gets confusing when man-child authors and MMO-writers are allowed creative space; every character is badass and can destroy ships and Force choke this guy who can Force choke this guy who killed a God who and so on.

Nephthys
Lol, cry harder that other era's aren't trash to glorify your PT boner.

ILS
Originally posted by Nephthys
Lol, cry harder that other era's aren't trash to glorify your PT boner. Waaaaah!

The_Tempest
Neph has truly become a vortex of bitterness and hostility.
He's now but another iteration of Legend.

Ursumeles

Nephthys
Originally posted by The_Tempest
He's now but another iteration of Legend. http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/019/649/OK_thumb.jpg

ILS
Originally posted by The_Tempest
He's now but another iteration of Legend. He's Legend with better rhetoric and meme-usage, but more unstable.

The_Tempest
It's been so fun being the Joker to his Harvey Dent.

Nephthys
Man, these are some sick-nasty burns. Ya got me! I'm really feeling it!

The_Tempest
Why so serious? erm

Though Dent was indeed burned pretty badly mmm

Nephthys
https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/negativeman-55f.png

****ing savage.

The Ellimist
It would be funny to see you two meet in real life.

Ursumeles
thumb up

The_Tempest
Not sure Neph is ready for my animal magnetism.

The Ellimist
If I saw the both of you side by side, would I be able to tell which is which? What about after a brief conversation? mmm

The_Tempest
He'd be the one bowing.

cs_zoltan
*blowing

Nephthys
Originally posted by The Ellimist
It would be funny to see you two meet in real life.

I would no joke just punch him in the face.

The_Tempest
You kinky betch

Nephthys
Yes, you would slur your words after I knocked a few of your teeth out, just like that.

cs_zoltan
He must've triggered you bad, Neph.

Nephthys
I simply dislike him strongly.

The_Tempest
My power over you is immense.

The Ellimist
Neph's descent into madness is legitimately terrifying.

Time-Immemorial
Yes, you would slur your words after I knocked a few of your teeth out, just like that.

This post qualifies as smart?

Time-Immemorial
https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/negativeman-55f.png

****ing savage.

Man a real winner here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.