Will There Be A Light Saber Duel In Rogue One?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
In the 7 films so far we've seen at least one light saber duel but for some reason I think this will be the first film without one.

Darth Thor
A lot of the spin-off films will be without Saber fights. Unless you think Han Solo or Boba Fett will get into one.

But doubt we will ever get en Episodic Saga film without a Saber battle.

Bashar Teg
only possibility i see of a duel happening is if donnie yen's character duels vader. other than that i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Thor
A lot of the spin-off films will be without Saber fights. http://i.imgur.com/89pDr2F.jpg

juggernaut74
I hope Vader at least uses his to kick some ass.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I hope Vader at least uses his to kick some ass.

I hope he doesn't need to ignite it because he's so powerful. At least not until he's ambushed/surrounded by a small battalion. But then that would distract from the main story for a bit of fan service so probably not a great idea narrative wise.

Lord Lucien
Enough with the lightsabers. Is it impossible to have a Star Wars movie without whipping those things out? We're already getting Vader, that's good enough. 'Member all the time he used his lightsaber in the OT? One scene in each movie, and it was for a singular confrontation with a his old master or his son. It's when shit was serious. Fighting some Rebels, let's see him be a badass with just his (restrained) Force powers and sheer presence.

I wanna see Vader be cool again, not just another "Check out mah lazr sword!"

Darth Thor
Honestly I think they should have left the traditional Saber duel out of TFA even. There was no Jedi to fight Ren, so they had him injured and conflicted e.t.c ... IOW felt kinda forced in just for the sake of it.

So yeah I don't think Lightsaber fights have to be in every film. I'm sure this one will skip on them at least.

Lord Lucien
TFA was a soft reboot that needed to prove Disney could be trusted not repeat the mistakes of Star Wars-past. So the inclusion of a saber fight in it was essentially mandatory, and IMO, pretty well done (visual-wise). The use of sabers in that film was tempered and well paced, even if Rey's inexplicable ability to use one came right out of left field (unless it's meant to tie-in with whatever revelation has been storyboarded for her character). The sabers felt at home in TFA.

A Jedi weapon that works best when Jedi fight. I viewed them in the OT as these traditional, symbolic things that were brought out when Jedi fought Jedi, or when the situation really demanded it. They never felt like the go-to battlefield weapon that a combat soldier swings around in a war filled with projectiles and explosions (the entire PT/Clone Wars indulges in that everywhere you look). To me, they were more like Highlander swords; you fight with guns, explosives, and vehicles when shit is heavy and you're in the middle of a galactic war with sapceships, but when you're up against a fellow Immortal playing the Game, out comes the sword. Moments and duels of ritual and tradition to decide the fate of the world, not "OMGz that lightsaber is so f*cking cool! Use it all the time! And do alot of spins and jumps and Matrix shit too!"

To that end, a story about a smuggler fighting for the Rebellion doesn't warrant a lightsaber at any point. Not even as a quick fanservice 'snap-hiss' before the scene changes. Leave them out. Less is more, make us crave them. Not expect them like clockwork.

Zenwolf
But Luke clearly fought with his lightsaber outside of just dueling. So really the OT started all that.

Lord Lucien
That's what I mean by "when the situation really demanded it." It feels like a weapon that's revealed when the moment is tense, and shit is about to go down. I didn't mean that it was supposed to be dogmatically reserved for just Jedi duels. More for a scene that has some weight, some tension, some emotion to it.

ESB it's on for like 2 seconds when Luke attacks the Wampa or cuts open the AT-AT. Like 5 seconds in RotJ when he took down the speeder bike. Even the opening battle with Jabba--with it's build-up with R2 and the gangplank jump--felt like it won them battle. The Jedi is here! And he's armed and f*cking dangerous! The lightsaber meant something to the scene.

TFA largely kept to that. When it came out with Kylo, it felt appropriate and brief. When Finn used Luke's, the battle felt like it meant something. Same with Rey. The PT just sort of had them everywhere all the time. They lost emotional significance and just became another glowing thing on screen. And Vader needs to be badass again. Seeming him being a menacing, ominous figure just by his presence or mention of his name will do that. When that red saber comes out, Vader should mean serious business. Fighting a bunch of ragtag Rebels should be beneath him and undeserving of his lightsaber.

Zenwolf
Well given the PT was during around when the Jedi were at large, I'd expect light sabers to be shown largely.

Bashar Teg
maybe it'd be nice to see vader actually hunt down and destroy a jedi, as promised. i think that's where ip man comes in. that's what my money's on.

juggernaut74
I don't think we'll see any Jedi in Rogue One.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
maybe it'd be nice to see vader actually hunt down and destroy a jedi, as promised. i think that's where ip man comes in. that's what my money's on.

His character isn't a Jedi, been confirmed. No Jedi in this movie.

Bashar Teg
source?

juggernaut74
Who's ip man?

Zenwolf
source?

Was a tweet I saw, can't give link. I think Donnie spoke about it, his character is just one who follows the Jedi philosophy.

juggernaut74
I don't know how close Rebels is to Rogue One in the timeline but we could see Inquisitors pop up.

Bashar Teg
Who's ip man? irl he was the guy who trained Bruce Lee. Donnie yen plays Ip man in a series of fancifully written chinese action movies.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Was a tweet I saw, can't give link. I think Donnie spoke about it, his character is just one who follows the Jedi philosophy. could just be lying like jj abrams lied and said that Khan wouldn't be in star trek into darkness. We'll see. My money is still on jedi

juggernaut74
Vader actually shown killing a Jedi during the era of the Jedi purge would be pretty cool.

queeq
Yes it would. But I don't really want to see a long, highly choreographed lightsaber fight. Just a nasty, straight forward destructive blow would be nice.

Darth Thor
Vader actually shown killing a Jedi during the era of the Jedi purge would be pretty cool.

Not really relevant to this film though. The Jedi do get involved. But right after this in ANH.

queeq
True.

JediRobin23
maybe it'd be nice to see vader actually hunt down and destroy a jedi, as promised.

Yes. agreed. since Vader is in it, why not start the movie with Vader killing one of a last republic jedi.

It would connect what obiwan said in ep4 better.....

queeq
I don't connecting is the key idea of the anthology movies. Although it does that by the very premise already: stealing the DS plans.

JediRobin23
With Vader in it, hard not to connect it

queeq
So we don't need Jedi to be killed either.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by queeq
So we don't need Jedi to be killed either.

of course we don't need it. it just would make perfect sense, is all.

JediRobin23
It would be nice, but not required

Guess it's still too early to judge before watching roque one...

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by JediRobin23
It would be nice, but not required

Guess it's still too early to judge before watching roque one... F*ck you, I will judge from on high until everyone's concession is accepted.

phinney6
I just want more killing in general...but that's just me.

queeq
Watch Ash vs. Evil Dead then...

Zenwolf
Originally posted by queeq
Watch Ash vs. Evil Dead then...

http://33.media.tumblr.com/e5adf9d88a376ee0fc21227d953e09dc/tumblr_n070wiqzVV1r4r6gpo2_500.gif

queeq
That's the man, but that is not the series!

Indisposable
If there is a Jedi in this film and there is a lightsaber battle between the Jedi and Vader I want it to be like queeq says. Over within seconds. I want Vader to just be a powerhouse in the few scenes he is in. But Ive got a nervous feeling he is just a glorified cameo. I mean I hope Im wrong and we see him kick ass but I just got a feeling its a cameo

queeq
A few more days...

Indisposable
The hype is real

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.