Accolades for PT Jedi being some of the best swordsmen in history?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
Can be for individuals or for the entire Order. I know Fisto, Kolar, Tiin etc. have those. What about others?

ILS
Jinn has one

Emperordmb
Practically everyone with a name has one lol

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Practically everyone with a name has one lol

Pretty much. Though I wouldn't say all of history, but within the Jedi Order.

UCanShootMyNova
The vast majority from the PT era.

In fact I can't think of a single one that comes from a third person perspective outside of the PT era considering Kas'im's own is based entirely on Bane's opinion. smile

Solar Power
You'll never guess where I got this from. wink

Ursumeles
Qui-Gon's RT? smile

Solar Power
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Qui-Gon's RT? smile

No. smile

Azronger
Can you post the the accolades themselves here? "Practically with everyone with a name has one" isn't helping. I've checked several Council RT's and am finding zero from objective sources.

Azronger
Originally posted by Solar Power
You'll never guess where I got this from. wink

TPM novelization, I think. But anway, it doesn't specifically refer to all of history, which is what I'm looking for.

Nephthys
There aren't any from objective sources. yes

Emperordmb
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
The vast majority from the PT era.

In fact I can't think of a single one that comes from a third person perspective outside of the PT era considering Kas'im's own is based entirely on Bane's opinion. smile
Syndicate's trying to pull me out of my newfound state of enlightenment https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_sad.gif

Emperordmb
Anoon Bondara by being a weapons master is confirmed as being one of the greatest duelists in the history of the Jedi order. He admits inferiority to Qui-Gon and Windu, so that same accolade can apply to anyone above or equal to Qui-Gon or Windu as well.

Azronger
Anoon Bondara by being a weapons master is confirmed as being one of the greatest duelists in the history of the Jedi order. He admits inferiority to Qui-Gon and Windu, so that same accolade can apply to anyone above or equal to Qui-Gon or Windu as well.

That's not an objective quote.

UCanShootMyNova
Anoon Bondara by being a weapons master is confirmed as being one of the greatest duelists in the history

Where?

As far as I'm aware he's noted to be one of the best fighters in the Order at the time but not due to being a weapons master.

"Master Bondara epitomized what Darsha hoped to become one day. The Twi'lek Jedi Master lived in the Force. Always still and complacent as a pool of unknown depth, he was nevertheless one of the best fighters in the order." - Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Azronger
Despiteany claiming literally every character has them, I'm finding none. Even the B-team quote was from the perspective of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Beniboybling
Most are from subjective sources, but not exactly uninformed ones, or rather ones we are given reason to dobut. Plo Koon and Sora Bulq however are objectively stated to be some of the best combatants in history. Yoda is as well.

ChaosTheory123
Could have sworn Yoda/Windu/Dooku at least had some 3rd person omniscient narrator accolades to this effect

Azronger
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Most are from subjective sources, but not exactly uninformed ones, or rather ones we are given reason to dobut. Plo Koon and Sora Bulq however are objectively stated to be some of the best combatants in history. Yoda is as well.

What sources are there for Koon and Bulq?

Beniboybling
Plo Koon is a member of the Jedi High Council and a Jedi General in the Clone Wars. Koon is one of the most powerful Jedi ever, with awesome fighting ability, strong telekinetic powers and superb piloting skills.

--Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/106251/4554801-from+intrepid.png

MythLord
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Could have sworn Yoda/Windu/Dooku at least had some 3rd person omniscient narrator accolades to this effect

They do. As does Qui-Gon:

"Jinn was generally regarded as one of the best pure swordsmen the Order had ever seen."

-- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Anoon Bondara:

"Master Bondara epitomized what Darsha hoped to become one day. The Twi'lek Jedi Master lived in the Force. Always still and complacent as a pool of unknown depth, he was nevertheless one of the best fighters in the order."

-- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

"This Twi'lek Jedi Master -- always one to chafe at the rules and restrictions -- was regarded as one of the best fighters and duel instructors in the Jedi Order."

Shaak Ti:

"The Jedi revere Shaak Ti as one of the highest of their Order and among the most accomplished in lightsaber combat."

-- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide

"The Jedi revere Shaak Ti as one of the highest of their Order, and one of the most accomplished in lightsaber combat, of which she mastered the Makashi and Ataru forms.

-- Star Wars UK Magazine 6.17

"Shaak Ti is a Master of Makashi and Ataru forms in addition to her legendary strength in the Force. Known far and wide as a cunning and serene Jedi, only the most skilled of the Order could stand against her!"

-- The Clone Wars Adventures

Kit Fisto:

"Even the greatest warriors of the Jedi -- Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, even Yoda -- could not defeat the Sith.

-- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld

Sora Bulq:

"Sora Bulq was one of the greatest lightsaber instructors the Jedi order had ever known, perfecting the various forms of combat techniques, both classical and experimental."

-- Star Wars Databank: Bulq, Sora

And prolly a few others I'm forgetting.

Azronger
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123

I'm mainly looking for accolades for other people than those three.

Azronger
Plo Koon is a member of the Jedi High Council and a Jedi General in the Clone Wars. Koon is one of the most powerful Jedi ever, with awesome fighting ability, strong telekinetic powers and superb piloting skills.

--Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/106251/4554801-from+intrepid.png

The Koon quote doesn't say he's one of the most skilled in history. And the Bulq quote refers to him as a teacher, not as combatant. There's a difference.

Beniboybling
The criteria you gave was not skill, simply "the best", Plo Koon being one of the most powerful Jedi ever thanks in part to his "awesome fighting ability" fits that bill.

As far as skill is concerned, its mastery of technique that the source attributes Sora's title to.

Azronger
Originally posted by MythLord
They do. As does Qui-Gon:

"Jinn was generally regarded as one of the best pure swordsmen the Order had ever seen."

Regarded by whom? That's not an objective source.

Is that from a third person perspective? Nevertheless, it doesn't refer to all of history.

Again, regarded by whom?

It's from the perspective of the PT Jedi and doesn't refer to all of history.

That's basically the same quote, lol

Doesn't refer to all of history.

Doesn't refer to all of history

Referring to him as a teacher, not as a combatant.

Azronger
The criteria you gave was not skill, simply "the best", Plo Koon being one of the most powerful Jedi ever thanks in part to his "awesome fighting ability" fits that bill.

As far as skill is concerned, its mastery of technique that the source attributes Sora's title to.

Well, from now on you know I'm looking for accolades that talk about skill.

Technical sophistication isn't the same as combative ability.

Beniboybling
Skill = technical sophistication and combative ability is what the Koon quote relates to, you need a pick a criteria.

Azronger
Skill = technical sophistication and combative ability is what the Koon quote relates to, you need a pick a criteria.

I am specifically looking for combative ability and raw skill, not technical ability, since that doesn't necessarily mean you're an effective combatant.

The Koon quote basically says "Koon is skilled" and that's about it. I'm looking for quotes that refer to all of history.

MythLord
@Az Regarded by a vast majority of Jedi, I'd assume. Jedi who obviously are well aware of past history, and I see no reason for them to suddenly be wrong just because you wish to dismiss it.

Also, just because it says "Order" without the addition of "all time" doesn't suddenly mean it isn't referring to the Order in-general, i.e. from the dawn of it's existance.

And Sora was noted as one of the greatest teachers/instructors because he had perfected every combat form, indicating his technical skill was some of the greatest in history.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Azronger
I am specifically looking for combative ability and raw skill, not technical ability, since that doesn't necessarily mean you're an effective combatant.

The Koon quote basically says "Koon is skilled" and that's about it. I'm looking for quotes that refer to all of history. confused

It says that Koon is the one of the most powerful Jedi in history in part due to his "awesome fighting ability". That fulfils your criteria. I would also argue that technical proficiency does translate indeed translate into combat effectiveness.

Azronger
@Az Regarded by a vast majority of Jedi, I'd assume. Jedi who obviously are well aware of past history, and I see no reason for them to suddenly be wrong just because you wish to dismiss it.

Just because they're aware of the Order's history doesn't mean they had the ability test their skill against the dead, lol.

Given that we are talking about PT Jedi, I see no reason why we should expand the statement to include all eras, unless stated so.

And as I said before, that doesn't mean you're an effective combatant. I'm pretty sure the Grand Inquisitor would be stomped by the majority of Jedi across all eras, yet his technical skill was to the point where he could identify a Jedi's chosen form in seconds.

Azronger
confused

It says that Koon is the one of the most powerful Jedi in history in part due to his "awesome fighting ability". That fulfils your criteria. I would also argue that technical proficiency does translate indeed translate into combat effectiveness.

No, it states he's one of the most powerful Jedi ever. It doesn't say that "awesome fighting ability" is one of the reasons why. It's just one of the things attributed to Koon, alongside the "most powerful" accolade.

Besides, I wonder what the hell does lightsaber combat and piloting skills have to do with Force power, lol.

Beniboybling
No, it states he's one of the most powerful Jedi ever. It doesn't say that "awesome fighting ability" is one of the reasons why. It's just one of the things attributed to Koon, alongside the "most powerful" accolade.

Besides, I wonder what the hell does lightsaber combat and piloting skills have to do with Force power, lol. It's not referring to Force power, but potency in general, hence why it lists a range of talents, or rather the features of one of the most powerful Jedi ever.

You also overlooked my point regarding Sora Bulq.

MythLord
Just because they're aware of the Order's history doesn't mean they had the ability test their skill against the dead, lol.

I am aware. But those are beings who possess far superior knowledge on the subject than we do, unless they're missing some insane parts of the lore, which I doubt they would be.

Again, you're dismissing it based on an appeal to the subjectivist fallacy.

Given that we are talking about PT Jedi, I see no reason why we should expand the statement to include all eras, unless stated so.

And I see no reason why we should consider the Jedi Order as of PT any different from the Order in KoTOR, its the same Order with the same principles and thus should apply to all eras and I see no reason why it should focus on just one.

And as I said before, that doesn't mean you're an effective combatant. I'm pretty sure the Grand Inquisitor would be stomped by the majority of Jedi across all eras, yet his technical skill was to the point where he could identify a Jedi's chosen form in seconds.

Which is more due to a lack of physical augmentation, precognition and practical application on his part. But Bulq's ability to hang with Mace and trash Tholme is enough to not mark him in that field, obviously.

Azronger
It's not referring to Force power, but potency in general, hence why it lists a range of talents, or rather the features of one of the most powerful Jedi ever.

Eh, fair enough. Not in the mood to argue.

What point? You just said you'd argue technical sophistication translates to combat effectiveness (which it does, to an extent).

Azronger
I am aware. But those are beings who possess far superior knowledge on the subject than we do, unless they're missing some insane parts of the lore, which I doubt they would be.

Again, you're dismissing it based on an appeal to the subjectivist fallacy.

What "far superior knowledge"? Sure, they have access to more in-universe lore than we do, but again, they have not sparred with the dead, so that's utterly irrelevant.

The subjectivist fallacy would require the truth to be objective. I've seen no proof that the opinions of the living on the dead are nothing more than their opinions.

Eh, fair enough.

So if the GI were given greater physicals, he'd be able to contend with the greats? GI is someone who fights Padawans, not masters.

Bulq only hung with Windu because the latter was conflicted. I see no evidence he could've, otherwise.

And what has Tholme got to his name, other than being stomped by Dooku?

SunRazer
Interestingly, Qui-Gon's only objective accolade(s) refer to him being among the best of his time, not of all time. The one that refers to all time mentions him being "generally regarded" as such, which isn't quite as concrete as the OP was looking for.

The OP's rather strict criteria allows for surprisingly few accolades, to be honest.

MythLord
What "far superior knowledge"? Sure, they have access to more in-universe lore than we do, but again, they have not sparred with the dead, so that's utterly irrelevant.

I'd assume greats like Vodo-Baas, Revan, Ulic, etc. would have their greatest achievements documented. So then the Jedi in-universe would compare those respective achievements to the level of skill Qui-Gon and Bondara possess.

Come to think of it, that's what we're doing, only those dudes have more access to lore(in some cases), superior intelligence and the Force. Their opinions might be more accurate than our own.

The subjectivist fallacy would require the truth to be objective. I've seen no proof that the opinions of the living on the dead are nothing more than their opinions.

And dismissing it is your own opinion.

So if the GI were given greater physicals, he'd be able to contend with the greats? GI is someone who fights Padawans, not masters.

Sure. The only reason the GI fights padawans is, well, because that's what he was made for. If he practicalised his lightsaber capabilities and improved his physical capabilities to the point of someone on, let's say, Jinn's level, he'd be capable of contending with some top-tier swordsmasters(of course, not Sheev, Luke, Yoda, Mace or Tyranus since they're a pretty high league).

Bulq only hung with Windu because the latter was conflicted. I see no evidence he could've, otherwise.

Mace wasn't conflicted, he was distraught. Which means he's upset, basically. He might've been holding back, sure, but to what degree? He seems to be determined in capturing Sora, and he draws his blade first and initiates the combat.

Nobody's doubting Mace's superiority, but he's certainly not stomping Bulq.

And what has Tholme got to his name, other than being stomped by Dooku?

Stalemating Quinlan Vos, and getting a compliment by Tyranus for keeping his swordsmanship on a level higher than most Jedi. Also stomping some of the most well trained warrior cults in history like Morgukai and Anzati.

Nephthys
I doubt the GI could reach Jinn's level. He was just a random temple guardsman iirc. Jinn was one of the greatest Jedi swordsman in history. He probably improved significantly between Order 66 and Rebels, but I'd still only say he's at Elite Mook status.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by SunRazer
The OP's rather strict criteria allows for surprisingly few accolades, to be honest. The OP sux yeah.

MythLord
Originally posted by Nephthys
I doubt the GI could reach Jinn's level. He was just a random temple guardsman iirc. Jinn was one of the greatest Jedi swordsman in history. He probably improved significantly between Order 66 and Rebels, but I'd still only say he's at Elite Mook status.

Not what I was arguing, dear. I'm arguing if the GI had Jinn's level of physical capabilities and practical fighting technique, he could contend with some of the greats.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.