Is Maul the weakest Sith Lord in terms of force abilities?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
When you consider that Maul can't even use Force lightning, which even a novice like Sirak knew Maul looks rather bland in terms of force abilities. Of all of the major Sith Lords in Legends/Canon, is Maul the poorest in terms of diversity of force techniques and weakest in terms of usage? If you take away his Lightsaber and pit him against the likes of Malak, would he end up being choked of and begging for mercy like a girl when he lost to Sidious? Why didn't Maul spend more time learning force techniques, and less time being a thug with a Lightsaber?

cs_zoltan
Because he couldn't use the Force as a substitute for Sidious' dick, like he could with a double bladed lightsaber hilt.

relentless1
yup, Maul is weak sauce when it comes to Force usage

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by relentless1
yup, Maul is weak sauce when it comes to Force usage

Nephthys
thumb up

JKBart
He isn't weak, he is powerful, and there are tons of Sith that are inferior to him in power. His versatility is very low for his power level, though.

Solar Power
What Bart said, and also the information in Darth Plaguies concerning his training.

Zenwolf
Because he was trained as an assassin/warrior, he had no need for such abilities. He makes up for this in his physicals, martial arts and bladework.

carthage
So he is just a highly trained thug with a Lightsaber, thanks for verifying that

Kurk
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Because he was trained as an assassin/warrior, he had no need for such abilities. He makes up for this in his physicals, martial arts and bladework.
thumb up
Originally posted by JKBart
He isn't weak, he is powerful, and there are tons of Sith that are inferior to him in power. His versatility is very low for his power level, though.
Well said. Maul has demonstrated that he has great force potential by pinning Sidious to a wall, ragdolling Maul and the 7th sister, etc

juggernaut74
Originally posted by carthage
So he is just a highly trained thug with a Lightsaber, thanks for verifying that Pretty much. He's nothing special as far as Sith go.

carthage
Beating half trained force sensitives? Oh my how impressive?!

Kurk
So he is just a highly trained thug with a Lightsaber, thanks for verifying that Then by that definition Anakin skywalker is a bigger thug as he can't utilize any force ability other than TK and isn't as refined in saber combat

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Kurk
Then by that definition Anakin skywalker is a bigger thug as he can't utilize any force ability other than TK and isn't as refined in saber combat

One better, all Jedi are just thugs cause they really don't use any cool offensive Force abilities and mainly use TK.

quanchi112
Then by that definition Anakin skywalker is a bigger thug as he can't utilize any force ability other than TK and isn't as refined in saber combat Carthage getting shown up left and right. Destroy him my apprentice.

ares834
So he is just a highly trained thug with a Lightsaber, thanks for verifying that

Hmm... I wouldn't say that. Considering he is reptedly beaten by padawans "highly trained" is a bit of a stretch.

Darth Thor
Only 1 Padawan ever beat Maul one on one.

Same as with Vader tbh.

When you consider that Maul can't even use Force lightning, which even a novice like Sirak knew Maul looks rather bland in terms of force abilities. Of all of the major Sith Lords in Legends/Canon, is Maul the poorest in terms of diversity of force techniques and weakest in terms of usage? If you take away his Lightsaber and pit him against the likes of Malak, would he end up being choked of and begging for mercy like a girl when he lost to Sidious? Why didn't Maul spend more time learning force techniques, and less time being a thug with a Lightsaber?

He's one of the Deadliest Sith Lords ever as confirmed in both Canon and Legends. So stop trolling.

S_W_LeGenD
In SWTOR:-

Sith Inquisitor class has access to Force lightning and esoteric powers in general.

Sith Warrior class is about martial aspects of combat and raw power.

----

IMO, Force lightning should have been a HIGH-END Force power; only the greatest Sith should have been capable of using it. However, George Lucas (being an idiot he is), cheapened it in Episode II and it became mainstream from there.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
In SWTOR:-

Sith Inquisitor class has access to Force lightning and esoteric powers in general.

Sith Warrior class is about martial aspects of combat and raw power.

----

IMO, Force lightning should have been a HIGH-END Force power; only the greatest Sith should have been capable of using it. However, George Lucas (being an idiot he is), cheapened it in Episode II and it became mainstream from there.

How did he cheapen it in episode 2?

Ursumeles
I suppose because Tyranus used it. LMAO

UCanShootMyNova
Yeah I know that's what he's referring to but I want him to say it out loud.

ILS
Mm.

Okay, I'll bite.
Originally posted by JKBart
He isn't weak, he is powerful, and there are tons of Sith that are inferior to him in power. His versatility is very low for his power level, though. Quite possibly the most agreeable response to the thread. I don't understand what he's lacking in terms of versatility aside from Lightning though. He's shown plenty of abilities others haven't that aren't necessarily combat related.
Because he was trained as an assassin/warrior, he had no need for such abilities. He makes up for this in his physicals, martial arts and bladework. The thing I find cancerous about this outlook is the notion that you can divide Force users into "sabers guy" and "Force guy" - everything a Force user does is an expression of their connection to the Force.

It's not as simple as counting how many abilities one has; there's also the degree of mastery one has with the said ability. E.g Quinlan Vos (Legends), a novice Dark Sider managed to instinctively call upon Force lightning, indicating it isn't a very advanced technique, but when he tried to use it against Volffe Karkko he was pimpslapped and had much more powerful lightning returned to him. Using Zenwolf's method of deduction, Vos would appear more versatile than Karkko because "he can do the lightnings too and he is a saber guy!". Factor in potency and it's a different story.

The difference between Maul and most Sith who can call upon the all-mighty Force lightning, which novices and non-Sith can figure out how to use, is that when they're stabbed in the stomach they are out of commission, whereas you can cut Maul in half and it will literally just piss him off more. He is one of the single greatest Sith when it comes to Force augmentation and tapping into Force rage.

Originally posted by Solar Power
What Bart said, and also the information in Darth Plaguies concerning his training. If you're referring to the discussion between Plagueis and Sidious, I'd ask that you consider the fact that when Sidious was pitching the idea of training Maul, it would probably be a bad idea to mention that his plan the whole time was to murder Plagueis and have Maul rule alongside him as the new Rule of Two partnership, which is confirmed by both the novel, other Legends sources and now the canon interpretation of Maul (which is that he was Sidious' apprentice up until TPM, and was then out of the picture when Anakin came along).

Also... I don't get the issue with a Sith training as the warrior archetype. The Sith's ultimate goal is to kill the Jedi and rule the galaxy; the Sith warrior being trained to kill Jedi embodies this Sith ideal and uses the most effective means of murdering it's target: their own body and telekinesis. They'll have skill in Telepathy, perhaps lightning, and some other techniques, but the ones they truly master are the ones that allow them to complete their ultimate goal. I don't see how it could be viewed as an inferior path to take if you learnt a greater multitude of Force techniques which could end up being useless, opposed to mastering the few that get the job done. And as most of us know, most sourcebooks list Maul as being one of the most "highly trained" "lethal" "dangerous" and "skilled" Sith in the history of the Sith Order.

Just going to leave this here, as well. A post where I refer to a multitude of sources essentially debunking every notion presented in this thread, from Maul being weak, lacking versatility, having incomplete training, etc. I'm aware this was a troll thread but, on the off chance some of you were just mistaken and are open to seeing a different argument:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/obi-wan-vs-maul-read-1765585/?page=1#js-message-16188923

Darth Thor
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

Yes he cheapened it by giving the ability to a total of one other Sith- Dooku.

You see Maul can't win. If he shoots Lightning, then the ability has obviously been cheapened where any Dark Sider can use it. If he doesn't shoot Lightning then it's because he sucks erm

FYI It was Legends that cheapened Force Lightning, not Lucas.

ILS
If anything Legends cheapened lightning by giving it to every Tom, Dick and Harry... opposed to Lucas giving it to Sidious (most powerful Sith ever) and Dooku (at the time, second most powerful).

That said, there is the issue of potency. Lightning can be shit, powerful enough to ash people and everything in between.

Darth Thor
Yeah and if we go by Legends where every Tom, Dick, Harry can use it, what does it matter that Maul doesn't? Unless anybody actually thinks Mighella was a more powerful Force user than Maul because of Lightning Lol.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ILS
Mm.

Okay, I'll bite.
Quite possibly the most agreeable response to the thread. I don't understand what he's lacking in terms of versatility aside from Lightning though. He's shown plenty of abilities others haven't that aren't necessarily combat related.
The thing I find cancerous about this outlook is the notion that you can divide Force users into "sabers guy" and "Force guy" - everything a Force user does is an expression of their connection to the Force.

It's not as simple as counting how many abilities one has; there's also the degree of mastery one has with the said ability. E.g Quinlan Vos (Legends), a novice Dark Sider managed to instinctively call upon Force lightning, indicating it isn't a very advanced technique, but when he tried to use it against Volffe Karkko he was pimpslapped and had much more powerful lightning returned to him. Using Zenwolf's method of deduction, Vos would appear more versatile than Karkko because "he can do the lightnings too and he is a saber guy!". Factor in potency and it's a different story.

The difference between Maul and most Sith who can call upon the all-mighty Force lightning, which novices and non-Sith can figure out how to use, is that when they're stabbed in the stomach they are out of commission, whereas you can cut Maul in half and it will literally just piss him off more. He is one of the single greatest Sith when it comes to Force augmentation and tapping into Force rage.

If you're referring to the discussion between Plagueis and Sidious, I'd ask that you consider the fact that when Sidious was pitching the idea of training Maul, it would probably be a bad idea to mention that his plan the whole time was to murder Plagueis and have Maul rule alongside him as the new Rule of Two partnership, which is confirmed by both the novel, other Legends sources and now the canon interpretation of Maul (which is that he was Sidious' apprentice up until TPM, and was then out of the picture when Anakin came along).

Also... I don't get the issue with a Sith training as the warrior archetype. The Sith's ultimate goal is to kill the Jedi and rule the galaxy; the Sith warrior being trained to kill Jedi embodies this Sith ideal and uses the most effective means of murdering it's target: their own body and telekinesis. They'll have skill in Telepathy, perhaps lightning, and some other techniques, but the ones they truly master are the ones that allow them to complete their ultimate goal. I don't see how it could be viewed as an inferior path to take if you learnt a greater multitude of Force techniques which could end up being useless, opposed to mastering the few that get the job done. And as most of us know, most sourcebooks list Maul as being one of the most "highly trained" "lethal" "dangerous" and "skilled" Sith in the history of the Sith Order.

Just going to leave this here, as well. A post where I refer to a multitude of sources essentially debunking every notion presented in this thread, from Maul being weak, lacking versatility, having incomplete training, etc. I'm aware this was a troll thread but, on the off chance some of you were just mistaken and are open to seeing a different argument:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/obi-wan-vs-maul-read-1765585/?page=1#js-message-16188923 thumb up

cs_zoltan
Top 3 saddest things in this world:

3. Gay marriage
2. Feminism
1. Serious reply to a troll thread

Darth Thor
This is obviously a Troll thread, but I've seen the argument many times concerning Maul not being that great because he doesn't shoot Lightning.

Azronger
Maul isn't close to being the weakest, and he does know Force lightning. He isn't anything spectacular, though, and would lose to Malak.

quanchi112
Fl can be easily negated and it isn't that great of a power anyways.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Azronger
He isn't anything spectacular, though,

He is. He's one of the Deadliest Sith Apprentices of all time. Maybe just one of the deadliest Sith of all time.

That's been confirmed in both Legends and Canon.

Plus wasn't he rated on the same tier as Dooku in Sabers by Nick Gillard, and actually above Dooku in Sabers by that Top 5 Red Saber duelist list? mmm

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Top 3 saddest things in this world:

3. Gay marriage
2. Feminism
1. Serious reply to a troll thread
Lul

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ILS

The thing I find cancerous about this outlook is the notion that you can divide Force users into "sabers guy" and "Force guy" - everything a Force user does is an expression of their connection to the Force.

Swords I wasn't trying to downplay Maul or anything, just that....well that's what Maul was focused on, his saber skills, material arts and physicals.

So I don't see why you find it 'cancerous'....when that's what it is.

Darth Thor
Swords I wasn't trying to downplay Maul or anything, just that....well that's what Maul was focused on, his saber skills, material arts and physicals.

So I don't see why you find it 'cancerous'....when that's what it is.

Perhaps he had more focus on martial prowess than exotic powers, but he was definitely trained in the ways of the Sith, and not just as a mere assassin. At least in Canon anyway.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Perhaps he had more focus on martial prowess than exotic powers, but he was definitely trained in the ways of the Sith, and not just as a mere assassin. At least in Canon anyway.

Well I wasn't really trying to say he was trained as just as a simple assassin, he was clearly a Sith, I guess I should have used different wording there or just threw in Sith. So apologies on that.

Darth Thor
Well I wasn't really trying to say he was trained as just as a simple assassin, he was clearly a Sith, I guess I should have used different wording there or just threw in Sith. So apologies on that.

thumb up

Ursumeles
Imho, he should be at least in the Top 30.

Trocity
Maul has demonstrated that he has great force potential by pinning Sidious to a wall

Never happened.

ragdolling Maul

Lol.

ILS

So I don't see why you find it 'cancerous'....when that's what it is. Because for one, Maul did dedicate time to non-combat/esoteric Force powers, just not lightning, and two, warrior-related Force abilities are still Force abilities, and therefore an indication of power.

I suppose cancerous was a bit much though, apologies.

Darth Thor
It actually speaks to Maul's abilities that his TK is so potent when he was more focused on Martial ability.

Look at this we're taking a Maul Troll thread and turning it around into a Maul respect thread wink

ILS
It's funny how we used to do nothing apart from butt heads; how times change.

Darth Thor
The fight to respect Maul has brought us together.

Zenwolf
In fact another thing is, FL isn't used a whole lot compared to TK, in fact TK is the most versatile of Force abilities when you look at the supplement powers it gives.

Let's see...

Saber Throw, Deflection, Alter Environment, Flight/Levitation, so on and so forth.

You could really do the same thing as Force Lighting, by calling down Lighting from the sky with Alter Environment, manipulating the air currents and what not. Difference really being, is that it's not coming from a Force User so you would be limited in where you could use it, but essentially it'd be the same thing.

quanchi112
The fight to respect Maul has brought us together. I have been Maul's greatest champion on the boards. You disrespect him in favor of the cripple.

FreshestSlice
LMFAO, Maul's also a cripple.

Sinious
Maul has demonstrated that he has great force potential by pinning Sidious to a wall seriously kys

quanchi112
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
LMFAO, Maul's also a cripple. No, he isn't he's been upgraded. Vader needs a suit to live. The guy is a burn victim/cripple. Life must be just awful for that girly man.

FreshestSlice
noun
noun: cripple; plural noun: cripples

a person who is unable to walk or move properly because of disability or injury to their back or legs.

Sounds like Maul to me.

quanchi112
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
noun
noun: cripple; plural noun: cripples

a person who is unable to walk or move properly because of disability or injury to their back or legs.

Sounds like Maul to me. He can move fine with his legs. When does he walk with a gimp ? Ironically Vader has a noticeable gimp at the end of the rebels episode they both appeared in. Maul was fine. Vader had that mean gimp to his step.

smile

Zenwolf
Because of a super weapon exploding on top of him.....Vader walks just as fine otherwise.

Darth Thor
Yeah I'm sure Khan would tank that explosion laughing out loud

quanchi112
Because of a super weapon exploding on top of him.....Vader walks just as fine otherwise. That has nothin got do with my point but I'll walk you back since you let it fly right over your head. Unable to walk or move properly aptly described Vader not Maul in the same episode that aired. I didn't say Maul could tank it without any ill effects only that this applied to Vader not Maul making it hilariously ironic.

quanchi112
Yeah I'm sure Khan would tank that explosion laughing out loud He survived the vengeance crash landing just fine. Don't be upset Khan heals while Vader is a burnt Freakshow.

Solar Power
Originally posted by ILS
If you're referring to the discussion between Plagueis and Sidious, I'd ask that you consider the fact that when Sidious was pitching the idea of training Maul, it would probably be a bad idea to mention that his plan the whole time was to murder Plagueis and have Maul rule alongside him as the new Rule of Two partnership, which is confirmed by both the novel, other Legends sources and now the canon interpretation of Maul (which is that he was Sidious' apprentice up until TPM, and was then out of the picture when Anakin came along).

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/obi-wan-vs-maul-read-1765585/?page=1#js-message-16188923

I'm actually quite a fan of your posts, so I have read what you said in that thread before. Unfortunately, that was a while back and I couldn't remember exactly what you said nor where I could find what you said, and considering this is a troll thread, I didn't put much thought into my response. Needless to say, I agree with you upon rereading and will make sure to consider this in future posts.

MythLord
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BIwVCpSqVcY/WCJdJBp9sDI/AAAAAAAADfM/XdDMBWQ--3YU8WBNo4NqQAL64H-fUfuowCL0B/h168/2016-11-08.jpg

TenebrousWay
Emperor Pelpelican >> Vitiate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.