Blaster destructive capacity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
So reading through various comics and novels, blasters seem to be shown at various destructive capabilities.

The biggest constant one I see, is them exploding upon surfaces. Which is fine, that seems consistent.

But then....it kinda gets weird elsewhere. In some instances you have blasters blowing off limbs, blasting droids to pieces, and so on.

Then you also just have them hitting someone and just getting wounded, even if they don't have armor on. When the blaster being used, is the same exact blaster which was blasting droids to pieces and blowing off limbs.

So...how exactly are we suppose to handle this?

UCanShootMyNova
I imagine that blasters have different power settings and the lower on energy they get or are placed at the less destructive their output will be.

Zenwolf
I mean they do have different output settings, but I don't really see why someone would change between settings during the middle of combat. Because in the same instances, a limb might get blown off but then right after, someone just gets wounded in the leg or stomach.

I guess it's possible with switches, so it wouldn't be too complicated and suppose it saves on power consumption.

But then how do we rank it's destructive capability?

Because opening scene for ANH example, if the blasts are any indication, they were knocking back full grown men and causing explosions upon surface impacts.

So would the average setting for a rifle be something like a grenade?

UCanShootMyNova
The Empire was the most advanced civilization in Star Wars was it not? I'd imagine standard blasters are impressively powerful.

Zenwolf
Yeah, it's noted they had the most powerful personal weapons available to them. But the Rebels blasters were doing the same thing really.

By the by, Legends discussion folks.

FreshestSlice
It's for dramatic purposes and nothing more.

quanchi112
Inconsistencies in fiction is common place.

Zenwolf
True enough on that, I guess I just wanted to see if we should go by a particular scale or just take it as what it is. Either or is alright with me I guess.

FreshestSlice
I mean someone got hit in the face by a blaster bolt and nothing happened.

Deronn_solo
Their high-end showings are pretty ridiculous.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.