Who had more stroke - Vader or Tarkin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
Who was the higher ranking character?

queeq
In ANH... Tarkin.

quanchi112
Tarkin. He overrode Vader at will. Kind of embarrassing for Vader tbh.

juggernaut74
Wasn't Vader demoted after the destruction of the first Death Star? I think I remember that in the Darth Vader comic.

queeq
The comic is EU.

juggernaut74
I thought the Marvel comics were canon?

Zenwolf
They are.

quanchi112
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I thought the Marvel comics were canon? They are I just don't feel the film directors acknowledge or give a shit. It's just to sell merchandise.

Darth Thor
I thought the Marvel comics were canon?

It's all canon now, and the Story Group is there is keep the film directors, cartoon creators,novelists and comic writers all consistent with each other.

Wasn't Vader demoted after the destruction of the first Death Star? I think I remember that in the Darth Vader comic.

This however is not relevant to the topic discussion as Tarkin was Dead so Palpatine couldn't demote/punish him (he even says so in the comic).

Beniboybling
On the Death Star, Tarkin, but Vader was beyond the Imperial hierarchy.

Igniz
Tarkin on the Death Star. I always felt Darth Vader was kinda like Black Ops type a guy when he's not on the Death Star.

Trocity
Both outrank Darth Maul, who was dead at this point at the hands of a padawan.

quanchi112
Maul didn't die. Does this guy even canon ?

Robtard
Tarkin had the higher military rank, but he knew he could only command/push Vader so far, cos at the end of the day, Vader could have killed Tarkin.

How anyone could think Vader was actually Tarkin's puppet, pretty retarded, imho.

quanchi112
Robtard insulting those who disagree is pretty despicable behavior tbh. Lighten up, shorty.

queeq
Where's the insult? e calls a certain behaviour 'pretty retarded', he's not insulting a person.

quanchi112
Originally posted by queeq
Where's the insult? e calls a certain behaviour 'pretty retarded', he's not insulting a person. Insulting anyone with that opinion as a retarded opinion is an insult whether you think so or not.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by quanchi112
Insulting anyone with that opinion as a retarded opinion is an insult whether you think so or not. That's just your opinion and it's wrong like all of your opinions.

queeq
laughing out loud

quanchi112
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
That's just your opinion and it's wrong like all of your opinions. You sound emotionally compromised. Oh well.

Surtur
I guess it depends on how much dexterity Vader's fake hand gave him.

Surtur
At the end of the day ask yourself who the Emperor cares more about: his super powered cyborg..or some d-bag who is quite easily replaceable.

Who would get in more trouble for killing the other for no reason? Vader or Tarkin?

Put it another way: you're a storm trooper and Tarkin orders you to do one thing and then Vader orders you to do something contradictory. Who are you going to disobey? Yep, we all know every single person is not going to disobey the emotionally unstable cyborg with magic powers.

juggernaut74
I'd say Vader was more important to the Emperor than Tarkin was being you put it that way but Tarkin seemed to have more stroke.

queeq
Vader was powerful, Tarkin was prolly more fit to lead a large army.

Surtur
Vader was powerful, Tarkin was prolly more fit to lead a large army.

Vader actually lead army's too during the Clone Wars remember. Tarkin might have been a better strategist.

Tarkin was also naive enough to believe Leia would tell the truth about the rebels.

quanchi112
So people finally realize this isn't a straight up this guys is better than this guy type question. They both had different situations each would be better suited for.

Lord Lucien
So people finally realize this isn't a straight up this guys is better than this guy type question. They both had different situations each would be better suited for. This is such an out-of-character thing for you to say.

quanchi112
This is such an out-of-character thing for you to say. I was joking. Tarkin has him beat in every single category. Vader is an emotional failure and was weakness personified. Better ?

Surtur
On the other hand Tarkin was too stupid to just destroy the moon in front of him instead of waiting to orbit around so he had a clear shot.

That is some b*tch ass shit.

Lord Lucien
I was joking. Tarkin has him beat in every single category. Vader is an emotional failure and was weakness personified. Better ? Much better. But it's just your wrong opinion.

quanchi112
Much better. But it's just your wrong opinion. My opinion is fact. Good day, sir. I always get the last word. In character thing.

Robtard
Where's the insult? e calls a certain behaviour 'pretty retarded', he's not insulting a person.

You're attempting to use reason on someone who is always in a state of emotional unreast. Seems you love a challenge.

But really, anyone who thinks Vader was actually Tarkin's puppet is also probably retarded on some level, if we're being honest.

Surtur
If Vader was Tarkin's puppet he's like that evil puppet that becomes possessed and murderizes it's owner.

Even his name is stupid. Tarkin. Sounds like the name of a pesticide company.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
You're attempting to use reason on someone who is always in a state of emotional unreast. Seems you love a challenge.

But really, anyone who thinks Vader was actually Tarkin's puppet is also probably retarded on some level, if we're being honest. You are just a little upset he bossed Vader around like his own personal pool boy.

Surtur
You are just a little upset he bossed Vader around like his own personal pool boy.

You are just upset because if he wanted to Vader could have snapped his neck without a second thought. Or probably cave his face in with a single punch.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Surtur
You are just upset because if he wanted to Vader could have snapped his neck without a second thought. Or probably cave his face in with a single punch. That's what makes it even more glorious since he could have crushed Tarkin but being the ***** Vader was he did nothing. He just took it.

laughing out loud

Surtur
That's what makes it even more glorious since he could have crushed Tarkin but being the ***** Vader was he did nothing. He just took it.

laughing out loud

I doubt Tarkin ever even kissed a girl.

Also yes it does make it glorious that Tarkin only lived as long as he did become Vader graciously allowed him to continue breathing.

Zenwolf
On the other hand Tarkin was too stupid to just destroy the moon in front of him instead of waiting to orbit around so he had a clear shot.

That is some b*tch ass shit.

Hm? That wasn't the moon the DS was going around. It was a gas giant. Yavin 4 was the moon.

Surtur
Okay, why didn't he just shoot through it then?! Yeah, I don't even know.

Zenwolf
Okay, why didn't he just shoot through it then?!

I don't think firing a planet destroying laser through a gas giant would have been viable.

quanchi112
I doubt Tarkin ever even kissed a girl.

Also yes it does make it glorious that Tarkin only lived as long as he did become Vader graciously allowed him to continue breathing. You are probably right. He probably had Stormtroopers restrain a woman as he just violated her. Why kiss the vermin.

Tarkin was an old man and despite his gaunt face and skeleton like frame he commanded Vader around like a butler.

Lord Lucien
Vader walking around with a napkin over his arm, a coattail cape, and saying in JEJ voice "Very good, sir" would make squeeee like a fangirl.

Surtur
You are probably right. He probably had Stormtroopers restrain a woman as he just violated her. Why kiss the vermin.

Tarkin was an old man and despite his gaunt face and skeleton like frame he commanded Vader around like a butler.

He told Vader to stop choking someone and he did.

What other commands did this person ever give to Vader? Name the top 5 commands he gave Vader. From least humiliating to most humiliating.

Plus of course Tarkin had to use storm trooper rape. Yet Vader..was a psychopathic whiny murderer and he STILL got some vagina willingly given. She was even willing to look past the whole "you chopped kids down with an energy sword" thing. Keep in mind at this point not only was Anakin a child killer, but he had a mullet too.

Tarkin probably took his sister/mother to prom. Then he left early to come home and play with his chemistry set.

quanchi112
He told Vader to stop choking someone and he did.

What other commands did this person ever give to Vader? Name the top 5 commands he gave Vader. From least humiliating to most humiliating.

Plus of course Tarkin had to use storm trooper rape. Yet Vader..was a psychopathic whiny murderer and he STILL got some vagina willingly given. She was even willing to look past the whole "you chopped kids down with an energy sword" thing. Keep in mind at this point not only was Anakin a child killer, but he had a mullet too.

Tarkin probably took his sister/mother to prom. Then he left early to come home and play with his chemistry set. I do not have to list five things he told Vader to stop and he obeyed. What's better is per the film Vader had more power and some claim more authority yet he still obeyed. Vader was a burn victim and his own wife died because of a failure of willpower to,love because of her shitty and awful husband.

Tarkin treated him like a *****. Poor Vader.

Robtard
Quanchi only hates on Vader because I've said I like the character. I'm so in his head smile

Surtur
I do not have to list five things he told Vader to stop and he obeyed. What's better is per the film Vader had more power and some claim more authority yet he still obeyed. Vader was a burn victim and his own wife died because of a failure of willpower to,love because of her shitty and awful husband.

Tarkin treated him like a *****. Poor Vader.

All depends on your point of view. Vader turned to the darkside. For someone on the darkside, driving your wife to give up the will to live is a positive thing, not a negative. Especially if she had just had twins and yet Vader was SO much of an evil dick she just couldn't take his evilness so she died.

Being shitty and awful= great personality traits for the dark side.

Also Vader ends up becoming an immortal spirit and Tarkin is just space dust. BOOM! I doubt they even held a funeral, nobody gave a shit. Vader tries to murder his children and still they forgive him and he gains immortality.

Even the burned up psychopathic cyborg is more likeable than Tarkin. Let that sink in.

quanchi112
All depends on your point of view. Vader turned to the darkside. For someone on the darkside, driving your wife to give up the will to live is a positive thing, not a negative. Especially if she had just had twins and yet Vader was SO much of an evil dick she just couldn't take his evilness so she died.

Being shitty and awful= great personality traits for the dark side.

Also Vader ends up becoming an immortal spirit and Tarkin is just space dust. BOOM! I doubt they even held a funeral, nobody gave a shit. Vader tries to murder his children and still they forgive him and he gains immortality.

Even the burned up psychopathic cyborg is more likeable than Tarkin. Let that sink in. Vader bellowed out in tears and anguish over her death. Did you even see the film ? This is why you don't make any sense you just ramble on ignoring facts to try to undermine my solid case.

Vader was broken and turned to the dark side over his fear of losing her. If you didn't comprehend the film ask your mother to watch it with you the best time.

I don't care because Vader still took orders from Tarkin. Facts. Your hilarious crappy opinion isn't a fact.

Surtur
I never said he didn't love her or anything, I'm just saying from a darkside point of view the guy did good, I never said it was his own POV.

But for evil..it's good stuff.

Your guy is space dust. Vader is an immortal spirit. Boom. Vader was whiny, your guy was just dull.

quanchi112
I never said he didn't love her or anything, I'm just saying from a darkside point of view the guy did good, I never said it was his own POV.

But for evil..it's good stuff.

Your guy is space dust. Vader is an immortal spirit. Boom. Vader was whiny, your guy was just dull. From his own pov he failed disastrously to bellow out. From a dark side pov he failed since he went back to the Jedi. You make no sense from all the nonsense you ramble about.

He didn't intend it. From Palpatine's pov it was perfect but Vader was broken. He was weak. He isn't my guy he just treated Vader like a *****. Vader allowed it. Weak.

Darth Thor
There's a reason Kylo and Snoke worship Vader.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
There's a reason Kylo and Snoke worship Vader. Since when did Snoke even idolize Vader ? Kylo is young and will surpass Vader's skill in the second film. Already eclipsed him in evil. It's the same as Brady loving Montana but I guarantee in the twilight of his career he thinks he's better.

#believeinmyfirstorder

You can fantasize about the fallen shitty empire.

Nothing will change that it fell.

juggernaut74

You can fantasize about the fallen shitty empire.

Nothing will change that it fell. You seem pretty confident the First Order will not fail.

Lord Lucien
He has good reason to believe that. These movies will continue until heat death.

quanchi112
You seem pretty confident the First Order will not fail. Has the First order failed yet ? I desk in facts not what ifs you faithless cur.

Darth Thor
You seem pretty confident the First Order will not fail.

They already have. What happened to Starkiller Base? Didn't take much to make Captain Phasma put the shields down laughing out loud

Surtur
From his own pov he failed disastrously to bellow out. From a dark side pov he failed since he went back to the Jedi. You make no sense from all the nonsense you ramble about.

He didn't intend it. From Palpatine's pov it was perfect but Vader was broken. He was weak. He isn't my guy he just treated Vader like a *****. Vader allowed it. Weak.

I never said it was his own POV.

It's okay though if you want to cling to this dull character. I'm sure Vader, as an immortal spirit, reflects about it often. I'm guessing Tarkin would as well if he wasn't..nothingness.

I think I understand your problem. You're upset because you know Vader could kill Khan.

quanchi112
They already have. What happened to Starkiller Base? Didn't take much to make Captain Phasma put the shields down laughing out loud So you believe they fell when starkiller went down. I suggest you watch the next film because Snoke isn't done. You really disrespect my first order probably out of jealousy.

quanchi112
I never said it was his own POV.

It's okay though if you want to cling to this dull character. I'm sure Vader, as an immortal spirit, reflects about it often. I'm guessing Tarkin would as well if he wasn't..nothingness.

I think I understand your problem. You're upset because you know Vader could kill Khan. So you concede the point.

It isn't about emotions it's about facts. You seem unable to handle this it'll be ok. Tarkin bossed him around. He allowed it. Shameful. Vader is gone only Anakin remains. He rejected the dark side because in the end he was a pansy.

Off topic and Khan crushes him. Try to stay on point you seem all over the place.

Surtur
So you concede the point.

It isn't about emotions it's about facts. You seem unable to handle this it'll be ok. Tarkin bossed him around. He allowed it. Shameful. Vader is gone only Anakin remains. He rejected the dark side because in the end he was a pansy.

Off topic and Khan crushes him. Try to stay on point you seem all over the place.

It is about facts. Fact is Vader is superior in every way. Fact is Vader is not as dull. Fact is Tarkin lived only as long as he did because Vader allowed him to keep breathing.

You read way too much into Vader not murdering someone because Tarkin said stop.

Side note: why would the one other guy mock a mentally unstable cyborg with telekinetic powers? It's like these people just want to be euthanized by Vader. That guy owes Tarkin a big thank you.

ares834
Well Rogue One seems to have answered this and it appears that Vader has more authority then Tarkin as Krennic believes Vader has the authority to reinstate him as commander of the Death Star over Tarkin.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by ares834
Well Rogue One seems to have answered this and it appears that Vader has more authority then Tarkin as Krennic believes Vader has the authority to reinstate him as commander of the Death Star over Tarkin.

Yeah. Pretty much.

quanchi112
It is about facts. Fact is Vader is superior in every way. Fact is Vader is not as dull. Fact is Tarkin lived only as long as he did because Vader allowed him to keep breathing.

You read way too much into Vader not murdering someone because Tarkin said stop.

Side note: why would the one other guy mock a mentally unstable cyborg with telekinetic powers? It's like these people just want to be euthanized by Vader. That guy owes Tarkin a big thank you. Vader is superior in terms of formidability which makes this even worse for him even he outranked him. This means Vader allowed a weaker man with no authority boss him around in front of their subordinates. That's your speculation.

He told him to cease and he listened like a *****. Vader looks embarrassingly bad if this is the case. Well done. Vader is now a cuck per his own prerogative.

juggernaut74
I think it's a good bet Vader could have killed Tarkin and the Emperor would have been "oh well".

quanchi112
I think it's a good bet Vader could have killed Tarkin and the Emperor would have been "oh well". So it even makes Vader look worse.

#finebyme

Darth Thor
I think it's a good bet Vader could have killed Tarkin and the Emperor would have been "oh well".

Nah Palpatine would have been pissed if he did that.

Vader did however seemingly have the authority to replace Tarkin as commander of the Death Star.

quanchi112

Vader did however seemingly have the authority to replace Tarkin as commander of the Death Star. He let Tarkin boss him around willingly. laughing out loud

Robtard

Vader did however seemingly have the authority to replace Tarkin as commander of the Death Star.

Upset that he lost a skilled and valuable commander to his forces, yes. But it's not like Palps would have killed Vader as punishment in ANH if Vader 86'd Tarkin; he still had use for Vader.

ares834

The_Tempest

Nah. Vader was relaying the Emperor's commands, he was asking if the Emperor was keeping Krennic in command. Tarkin is either Vader's equal or superior, not subordinate.

ares834

The_Tempest
Nah. Vader, at this point, is just the proverbial Mouth of Sauron. His authority derives entirely from his proximity to Sheev and has no position in the formal chain of command. He was relaying Sheev's orders. And Krennic wants to be able to speak to Sheev himself.

Tarkin bosses Vader around. Vader's not the kind of guy who suffers impertinence lightly, as R1 shows. He's not beneath Vader.

Robtard

ares834
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Nah. Vader, at this point, is just the proverbial Mouth of Sauron. His authority derives entirely from his proximity to Sheev and has no position in the formal chain of command. He was relaying Sheev's orders. And Krennic wants to be able to speak to Sheev himself.

There is nothing in the dialogue suggesting Vader is relaying Sheev's orders. One would think that if that was the case, Vader would make it clear that the orders come from the Emperor. In fact, after he asks if he is in charge of the DS again, Krennic asks if Vader will speak to Palpatine. Yes, he has no formal rank and yes all his authority is derived from Palpatine. But then, ultimately, all authority in the Empire is pretty much derived Sheev. If he wants to, he could put a random Stormtrooper in charge.

Darth Thor
Yeah Krennic asked Vader to grant him command of the DS. He didn't ask Vader to ask Palpatine.

Also Krennic wanted Vader and Palpatine to personally visit the demonstration of the DS. Tarkin was like "it's best to save you the embarrassment of it fails" or something. Again suggesting Vader's the top dog after Palpatine.

And even if it's a case of Vader being the channel to Palpatine, that on its own says a lot about Vader's standing.

quanchi112
Tarkin does boss Vader around and that is undeniable. It drives the Vader fanatics up a wall.

laughing out loud

The_Tempest
There is nothing in the dialogue suggesting Vader is relaying Sheev's orders. One would think that if that was the case, Vader would make it clear that the orders come from the Emperor. In fact, after he asks if he is in charge of the DS again, Krennic asks if Vader will speak to Palpatine. Yes, he has no formal rank and yes all his authority is derived from Palpatine. But then, ultimately, all authority in the Empire is pretty much derived Sheev. If he wants to, he could put a random Stormtrooper in charge.

Yeah Krennic asked Vader to grant him command of the DS. He didn't ask Vader to ask Palpatine.

Also Krennic wanted Vader and Palpatine to personally visit the demonstration of the DS. Tarkin was like "it's best to save you the embarrassment of it fails" or something. Again suggesting Vader's the top dog after Palpatine.

And even if it's a case of Vader being the channel to Palpatine, that on its own says a lot about Vader's standing.

Krennic asks if he's still in command. He never asks Vader to put him in command. Since we know for a fact Vader doesn't have any formal rank or authority at this point beyond his relationship with the Emperor, logic dictates that he is referring to the Emperor putting him in charge.

Again, Vader takes orders from Tarkin in ANH. Not suggestions, orders. Vader is not one to suffer that kind of impertinence from a subordinate. Tarkin is his equal or superior.

ares834
Vader has authority. He doesn't have an official rank. There is no implication that anything Vader says or does in R1 comes from the Emperor.

And Tarkin is the "superior" on the DS.

quanchi112
http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/1529442/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

The_Tempest
Vader has authority. He doesn't have an official rank. There is no implication that anything Vader says or does in R1 comes from the Emperor.

And Tarkin is the "superior" on the DS.

What authority does he have?

Sure we do: because he doesn't actually have any official power to do anything beyond what he is charged to do with the Emperor.

...why would Tarkin be "superior" on the Death Star?

Darth Thor

Because that's his command.

In the Tarkin novel Palpatine tells Vader for him and Tarkin to decide between themselves whose in command for that mission. Implying that neither has been given a higher overall authority over the other. So they probably decide on a case by case basis.

So there's definitely a level of parity there. R1 however seems to suggest it's a case of Vader =/> Tarkin rather than the other way around. Not that I'd have any issue with it being the other way around.

ares834
What authority does he have?

Sure we do: because he doesn't actually have any official power to do anything beyond what he is charged to do with the Emperor.

His authority is that he is the Palpatine's right hand man and enforcer. We see him command and take the initiative several times to serve the Emperor throughout ANH and Rebels. He is not going to consult with Sheev on every action he is going to take. To bring it back to R1, if Vader thought Krennic was more fit to defend the DS than Tarkin presumably he could give Krennic the command. Now he can't just do this because he likes Krennic better rather it must best serve the Emperor's own interests.

Ultimately, nothing in the film nor the novelization suggests Vader has consulted with Sheev prior to his conversation with Krennic. It appears that these are Vader's commands not Palpatine's direct commands. Whereas in RotJ he makes it clear that he is expresssing the Emperor's commands.

Tarkin would be his "superior" as he commands the DS. It's akin to a General deferring to the captain of a naval vessel.

quanchi112
Grabs popcorn.

The_Tempest
His authority is that he is the Palpatine's right hand man and enforcer. We see him command and take the initiative several times to serve the Emperor throughout ANH and Rebels. He is not going to consult with Sheev on every action he is going to take. To bring it back to R1, if Vader thought Krennic was more fit to defend the DS than Tarkin presumably he could give Krennic the command. Now he can't just do this because he likes Krennic better rather it must best serve the Emperor's own interests.

Ultimately, nothing in the film nor the novelization suggests Vader has consulted with Sheev prior to his conversation with Krennic. It appears that these are Vader's commands not Palpatine's direct commands. Whereas in RotJ he makes it clear that he is expresssing the Emperor's commands.

Tarkin would be his "superior" as he commands the DS. It's akin to a General deferring to the captain of a naval vessel.

Nah, the novel has Krennic saying: "Does that mean I'm still in command? You'll speak to the Emperor - " right before Vader cuts him off with a choke.

Which underlines the point: unless what Vader says comes straight from Palpatine himself, Tarkin is supreme.

And your comparison about generals/captains is flawed. Vader exists outside the chain of command and so would have no hierarchical reason to defer to Tarkin unless Tarkin himself simply wields more authority than Vader.

Again, this is why Tarkin gives orders throughout ANH without hesitation or fear and Vader takes them without hesitation or reprisal. Vader is not the sort of man to bark orders at... unless he's expected to obey them.

Now I can buy that they're essentially equals and Vader takes Tarkin's shit out of a profound mutual respect for the man, but the implication that Tarkin > Vader is far more bountiful than the reverse. Tarkin is not subordinate to Vader, period.

ares834
He says the same thing in the movie as well. What Krennic wants Vader to speak to the Emperor about is not clarified, however considering he was previously asking Vader to get him an audience with the Emperor it seems that is what he was going to ask about once more. It certainly does not seem to be about the Emperor putting him back in charge as his first question assumes that is already the case.

The comparison is certainly not perfect but the jist of it works specifically because it is about authority and not rank. On board his own vessel the commander wields more authority (but still does not outrank) than those who generally wield more.

Not at all. I'll repeat because you have yet to provide evidence to the contrary, Krennic believes Vader can put him in command of the DS and we have no reason to believe this comes from the Emperor himself (other than your own notions on how the Imperial hierarchy works.) Regardless, it's clear we will not come to an understand on this topic so it will be my last post on it.

The_Tempest
That's cool and all, but in addition to Vader being the bottom to Tarkin throughout the entirety of ANH, you even have officials like Dave Filoni flat out saying Tarkin outranks Vader: http://www.starwars.com/news/interview-dave-filoni-on-star-wars-rebels-part-3

I have explicit evidence from the films and LFL authorities. Respectfully, you have (by your own admission) clumsy analogies that don't really apply and the fact that Vader is your favorite character.

But facts are facts and Vader does what Tarkin tells him to do.

ares834
Wells as you pointed, Vader has no rank and therefore can't be outranked. But the evidence by Filoni is certainly the best evidence yet.

juggernaut74
I still think Vader could have gotten away with killing Takin had he wanted to. He was dropping high ranking officials left and right it seemed.

Zenwolf
Left and right?...He killed all of....2 people. Ozzel who failed him multiple times, Hoth being the last straw and Captain Needa.

Admiral Ozzel was the only high ranking officer he killed and it was completely justified.

juggernaut74
He killed more in his solo book didn't he?

Zenwolf
I was just speaking of the movies, but yeah.

Although this concept of Vader killing officers for the smallest of things, is the dumbest thing ever if they are looking to the movies for a source...because he didn't just kill them left and right.

juggernaut74
He's killed Admirals and Captains whenever he wanted and went unchecked.

BTW who was the Admiral he killed in the Darth Vader book? His name escapes me.

Zenwolf
Yeah, but by just the movies? He didn't.

I dunno, can't remember.

Darth Thor
But the evidence by Filoni is certainly the best evidence yet.

Yeah that's the first time I've heard that Tarkin actually outranks Vader, which R1 certainly didn't show (and neither did Rebels Iirc).

But the Tarkin novel has Palpatine telling Vader for him and Tarkin to decide amongst themselves whose in charge for a particular mission, suggesting parity among the two of them.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Yeah, but by just the movies? He didn't.

I dunno, can't remember. Well I referring canon sources not just films.

Zenwolf
Fair enough.

ares834
He killed General Tagge in the comics. Though Tagge is no Tarkin.

The_Tempest
Yeah that's the first time I've heard that Tarkin actually outranks Vader, which R1 certainly didn't show (and neither did Rebels Iirc).

But the Tarkin novel has Palpatine telling Vader for him and Tarkin to decide amongst themselves whose in charge for a particular mission, suggesting parity among the two of them.

That's fairly early on in the Empire's career and before Tarkin is promoted to Grand Moff.

That aside, you'll notice the overall thrust of my argument is that I can accept the two are on par. But Tarkin outranking Vader is infinitely better supported than the reverse.

Based on evidence: It's OK to assume Tarkin outranks Vader. It's also OK to assume the two have parity and Vader respects him. It's not OK to assume Vader outranks Tarkin. He doesn't.

ares834
No one said Vader "outranks" Tarkin, only that R1 suggested he had more authority.

juggernaut74
He killed General Tagge in the comics. Though Tagge is no Tarkin. That's right.

Although Tagge was a Grand Admiral iirc.

The_Tempest
No one said Vader "outranks" Tarkin, only that R1 suggested he had more authority.

We're playing semantics at this point: Tarkin bosses Vader around. Vader takes it. Vader does not boss Tarkin around.

Zenwolf
That's right.

Although Tagge was a Grand Admiral iirc.

Tagge was Grand General.

I still kinda find it lame they killed him off so quickly, when he had the sense to evacuate the Death Star.

juggernaut74
No one said Vader "outranks" Tarkin, only that R1 suggested he had more authority. Is it fair to assume the Emperor favors Vader over Tarkin?

The_Tempest
In case it was lost on the previous page:
We're playing semantics at this point: Tarkin bosses Vader around. Vader takes it. Vader does not boss Tarkin around.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Tagge was Grand General.

I still kinda find it lame they killed him off so quickly, when he had the sense to evacuate the Death Star. My bad. But in U.S. military Admirals and Generals are equal ranks, just different branches.

ares834
We're playing semantics at this point:

Perhaps. I just wanted to clarify my side of the argument for anyone reading and dismiss any possible confusion.

Zenwolf
My bad. But in U.S. military Admirals and Generals are equal ranks, just different branches.

Yeah, was just fixing it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.