Trump pivots on Obamacare, says he wants to keep parts of it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
Interview with WSJ.

snowdragon
I think we'll see him doing this on several policies that he spoke of replacing/erasing etc.

I also think we'll see him softening on several positions such as immigration.

Ziggystardust
Originally posted by snowdragon
I think we'll see him doing this on several policies that he spoke of replacing/erasing etc.

Only time will tell...

I'm not so sure about that... Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, possibly second only to Jeff Sessions as a force for immigration control, has been named as part of the Trump Immigration Policy team. This is huge, as the biggest thing we have to fear at this point is that the Trump admin will be stuffed with the (((usual suspects))) who would unfailingly try to neuter and subvert the MAGA policy agenda. Getting Kobach involved sends the right message. Apparently, legislation is already being drafted for submission to Congress that would make E-verify mandatory for all employers rather than optional as it is today. That by itself would be even more effective than any wall - even though I still think the wall will be built anyway.

http://kctv.images.worldnow.com/images/22614882_BG2.jpg

The Ellimist
The big questions for me with respect to immigration are whether he wants to make legal immigration easier or harder, whether he wants to give deportees a chance to come back (as he said he would), and what he's going to do with dreamers.

The "Trump is just an act" theory would predict that he'll be liberal on all of these issues, thus appeasing the Democrats, while implementing tougher restrictions on general illegal immigration, thus appeasing the Republicans.

Tzeentch
Of course he's going to keep parts of it- the Senate and Congress wouldn't let him do anything else.

Whether you like Obamacare or not, it's a fact that millions of people have insurance through it. Nixxing it outright would **** the GOP platform for decades to come.

Bashar Teg
he said he'd kill it! he lied! it was all a conspiracy!

http://i.imgur.com/5cI9cS0.gif

Tzeentch
It's actually kind of ironic in a way. Trump really is just the Obama of rednecks.

jaden101
So far that's no wall, no repealing of obamacare, no draining the swamp and no locking up Hilary.

3 days...

meep-meep
Originally posted by Tzeentch
It's actually kind of ironic in a way. Trump really is just the Obama of rednecks.

First of all, that's a funny observation. I laughed for real. He is going to have to fall in line and tone back on a lot of hs rhetoric. It's bad for business. Not a fan of Trump but I heard there might be moves made to take away the ridiculous pension plans for retired politicians. Also, is it true he won't accept the presidential yearly salary. That would honestly give him brownie points.

|King Joker|
Yeah, honestly it was silly to think he'd be staunch on many of the positions he put forward during his campaign.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by jaden101
So far that's no wall, no repealing of obamacare, no draining the swamp and no locking up Hilary.

3 days...

Governing is hard.

BackFire

3 days...

I've already seen some of his ardent supporters getting frustrated by the idea that, after all, he may not even attempt to do any of these things. It's going to be ****ing hilarious to watch these people flipout over the next four years if this is the case.

Astner
I still think the funniest outcome is that you will end up with a creationist for vice president.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Astner
I still think the funniest outcome is that you will end up with a creationist for vice president.

The majority of their presidents have been creationists.

Mindship
Originally posted by BackFire
I've already seen some of his ardent supporters getting frustrated by the idea that, after all, he may not even attempt to do any of these things. It's going to be ****ing hilarious to watch these people flipout over the next four years if this is the case.
He played his mark. Now may come surprises, for both sides of the aisle.

Originally posted by Ziggystardust
Only time will tell...
I would think a big indicator of where he's really coming from will be what kind of Supreme Court judge he nominates.

Astner
I'm with you guys, I hope Trump fails. It would be so satisfying to see you suffer a financial collapse under his presidency, followed by a myriad of civil wars and invasions.

http://i.imgur.com/azyTeIM.png

krisblaze
Originally posted by Astner
I'm with you guys, I hope Trump fails. It would be so satisfying to see you suffer a financial collapse under his presidency, followed by a myriad of civil wars and invasions.

http://i.imgur.com/azyTeIM.png

The caliphate of sweden would be first on his list.

Astner
Originally posted by krisblaze
The caliphate of sweden would be first on his list.
If you've been keeping up with the Swedish press it sure seems like it. The outcry of the U.S. election in Sweden makes the U.S. response seem like yawn.

krisblaze

Bashar Teg
because deregulation is coming. why would the market panic at that?
when the next collapse/recession/depression happens a couple of years after as a direct result, THEN the market will panic and we can blame obama or the next president.

Bashar Teg
Not impressed by strawman and appeal to authority, nor do I feel obligated to dignify it. We just got out of an recession from the 2008 collapse, brought about from years of deregulation, and you're acting like you somehow proved that invalid. Have fun with that.

Surtur
Originally posted by Tzeentch

Trump see's an article about incest in Arkansas: That coulda been my son!

Let us hope Trump isn't as silent about these hate crimes as Obama has been about the epidemic of black on black crime.

Let us also hope him appearing to be willing to compromise signifies a realization that he can't behave in the manner he did prior to getting elected.

Surtur
We need to play the wait and see game when it comes to Trump himself. We have to play that game, we have to wait and see what he does.

I have seen people behaving in a really skeptical way when we were getting reports about Obama seemingly being a bit more chill about Trump after his meeting with him. People didn't seem to want to even entertain the idea that this was anything other than Obama merely trying to put on a brave face..as opposed to the actual possibility things might not turn out as bad as we all thought.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.