Best video game genre for Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILS
Shooter? RPG? Action RPG? Racing? RTS?

Kinect?

Among any others, which has turned out best with a Star Wars setting, in your opinion. And, potentially, which could turn out best? Are there some genres that just don't work?

DarthAnt66
Battlefront II and KotOR.

razminr11
The Battlefront series has been the best at making you feel like a boots-on-the-ground soldier, while the Jedi Knight series (namely Jedi Academy) has been the best at making you feel like a Force user.

ILS
I think BFII is a perfect example of how SW can excel in the shooter genre. You could do pretty much everything you could ask for.

Solar Power
RPG, Star Wars is an expansive universe rich in lore, and being able to explore it as your own customized character has always been fun. I've had good times with games like Kotor and Kotor II just replaying and seeing all the different outcomes of my choices. Doesn't really work as a MMO, but I blame that more on the tediousness of MMOs than the storytelling potential of the franchise.

Azronger
Shooter: BF II
RPG: KotOR I & II
Action RPG: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast & Academy
Racing: Dunno. Episode 1 Pod racer, maybe?
RTS: Empire at War
Kinect: If done better it could have a lot if potential. But currently the best game that comes close is probably TFU I on the Wii.
1v1 Fighting: Episode III video game

Now combine all of these and you have the perfect concept for a Star Wars game. All it needs is a competent developer.

DarthDuelist9
No love for Battlefront?

cs_zoltan
I'm biased toward RPGs, but still I'd say that.

Beniboybling
Kinect, yeah.

Rebel95
They need to remake battlefront II, but they'll probably just make a new one with the new trilogy characters. Hopefully it'll have a campaign mode like battlefront II did

Zenwolf
Tbh I am surprised that there were only 2 RPG games made given how big the SWU is.

Why no company has made something akin to Elder Scrolls, no idea...because that's something just waiting to happen.

Petrus
RPG. The fact that SW's lore is neverending and the fact that it's setting is a futuristic universe with spacechips and cool battles, makes it perfect for this particular genre to exploit.

Although, Action and Shooter genres could also fit quite perfectly with SW in general, as seen with Battlefront or the JK series.

I'm honestly dying for a SW RPG game to be released for the new generation consoles.

cs_zoltan
Peasant spotted.

Petrus
Huh?

cs_zoltan
https://67.media.tumblr.com/b91f2257e43beea338c4a3ddef772ca8/tumblr_mktkd1ySoq1r6xcvmo1_500.jpg

Zenwolf
My only guess is because Bethesda kinda mastered that type of open world RPG stuff, which is why we've only ever gotten 2 that's as close to open world as we would get.

Shame really.

Petrus
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
https://67.media.tumblr.com/b91f2257e43beea338c4a3ddef772ca8/tumblr_mktkd1ySoq1r6xcvmo1_500.jpg

I actually do prefer PC games, but mine sucks for gaming, so. Peasant it is.

Petrus
Originally posted by Zenwolf
My only guess is because Bethesda kinda mastered that type of open world RPG stuff, which is why we've only ever gotten 2 that's as close to open world as we would get.

Shame really.

I'm not a big fan of the 'open world' sub-genre in RPG. I enjoy games like Mass Effect, Fable or Dragon Age a lot more. Actually replaying the ME series in Xbox One rite now.

Zenwolf
It could work for Star Wars quite well, given the atmosphere and all that I think.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
https://67.media.tumblr.com/b91f2257e43beea338c4a3ddef772ca8/tumblr_mktkd1ySoq1r6xcvmo1_500.jpg You'd hate me even more then.

First time I played KOTOR was on an original Xbox.

cs_zoltan
Idk if could hate you more than I already did.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.