The movie industry in Trump's America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
Seeing as we're a movie forum predominantly and we have a mixed range of political views on the boards and the fact that the movie industry is generally a more liberal orientated institution how do people on KMC think that Hollywood will respond to a Trump presidency?

Many mainstream movies in recent years while not overt commentaries on world politics have underlying themes relating to world events (the Captain America movies for example)

Will we see more overtly political movies in reaction to a government with a very different world view than the prevailing attitudes in the industry?

Will there be an audience backlash to that or are audiences either not bothered or not astute enough to notice themes in movies that aren't spelled out for them?

What do you lot think we'll be seeing over the next few years?

John Murdoch
Something like, say, Fahrenheit 9/11 before Bush/Kerry in Summer 2004 or W. before Obama/McCain in Fall 2008 I could see coming out likewise in 2020 before the next presidential election. A Trump version of one of those perhaps.

One of the most obvious examples is from 2006: V for Vendetta. The Wachowskis updated the story and setting to match that of the Bush presidency instead of Alan Moore's comic book being a commentary on "British Thatcherism" in the early 80's (paraphrased from Wikipedia's V for Vendetta film page). V for Vendetta is one of my favorite films - not just comic book films - period, but that kinda took me out of the viewing experience the first time through in the theater.

Hollywood could find another piece of source material and shift the plot to match Trump.

Flyattractor
I been hearing the Horror Movies are made under Oppressive Regimes by the Leftist Nazi Types so I could say we will see a Horror movie resurgence.

Lord Lucien
The villains in the Star Wars movies are all going to have progressively bigger and sillier hair as time goes on. And they'll all look like the Lorax.

Surtur
They will respond with the butthurt. Just look at California and how blue it is next time you see an election map.

On top of that, all these celebs wasted time and money trying to seal the deal for Hilary.

We're especially going to have them being upset and trying to get messages out because when you tell a bunch of narcissists that they are out of touch with reality they tend to lash out.

Remember, these same people who were so horrified Trump might not accept the results..more or less have encouraged their fans not to accept the results.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Surtur
They will respond with the butthurt. Just look at California and how blue it is next time you see an election map.

On top of that, all these celebs wasted time and money trying to seal the deal for Hilary.

We're especially going to have them being upset and trying to get messages out because when you tell a bunch of narcissists that they are out of touch with reality they tend to lash out.

Remember, these same people who were so horrified Trump might not accept the results..more or less have encouraged their fans not to accept the results.

Agreed. No need to throw a protest and ransack cities every time something doesn't go someone's way.

I also got a good chuckle out of the Star Wars hair comment. Snoke using dat Rogaine doe.

Firefly218
Thanos will be an overt Trump metaphor

jaden101
Originally posted by Firefly218
Thanos will be an overt Trump metaphor

Well the MCU is an interesting example because it's so long running it'll be interesting if the direction changes from what was originally intended.

DC probably have an easier time of it. They can change The Flash to The Fash and Superman to SSuperman

Surtur
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Agreed. No need to throw a protest and ransack cities every time something doesn't go someone's way.

Yep and unfortunately I'm already seeing some disturbing trends of people trying to somewhat make excuses for this.

Like for instance, the people who burned stuff because Obama was elected? Totally worse somehow because..reasons.

Firefly218
Yep and unfortunately I'm already seeing some disturbing trends of people trying to somewhat make excuses for this.

Like for instance, the people who burned stuff because Obama was elected? Totally worse somehow because..reasons. If you're a Trump supporter I'm srry you don't get to complain about disturbing trends... The Nazis and kkk had a fuking parade for fuks sake

NemeBro

Like for instance, the people who burned stuff because Obama was elected? Totally worse somehow because..reasons. Pretty sure they were worse because they did it for racist and Islamophobic reasons, whereas the Hillary supporters are doing it because they fear Trump will destroy America.

Do you really have trouble understanding the difference, lol?

Do you believe that actions are all that matters, regardless of the reasons they were done?

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
Pretty sure they were worse because they did it for racist and Islamophobic reasons, whereas the Hillary supporters are doing it because they fear Trump will destroy America.

Do you really have trouble understanding the difference, lol?

Do you believe that actions are all that matters, regardless of the reasons they were done?

I just don't find destruction and violence to be more okay for any reason.

Surtur
If you're a Trump supporter I'm srry you don't get to complain about disturbing trends... The Nazis and kkk had a fuking parade for fuks sake

Would it make just as much sense if I said those who supported Hilary can't ever whine about the corruption of Donald Trump?

It would, right?

Firefly218
I just don't find destruction and violence to be more okay for any reason. Don't act like only Hillary supporters are being aggressors, for the most part they're just exercising their civic right to a peaceful protest. Instances of racism, sexism and homophobia by Trump supporters have surged post-election. Are the graffitied swastikas on a Muslim mosque or the burning crosses okay?

Besides it was Trump in 2012 who suggested republicans should MARCH ON WASHINGTON and have a revolution because Obama won. And it was Republicans that rallied around the "grab my musket" if Hillary wins shit

NemeBro
I just don't find destruction and violence to be more okay for any reason. Then why do you support the death penalty?

Surtur
Don't act like only Hillary supporters are being aggressors, for the most part they're just exercising their civic right to a peaceful protest. Instances of racism, sexism and homophobia by Trump supporters have surged post-election. Are the graffitied swastikas on a Muslim mosque or the burning crosses okay?

But nobody said that it is only Hilary supporters. What I'm saying is I think setting fire to stuff and attacking innocent people for no reason is NOT somehow just a little less wrong because you're upset over Donald trump as opposed to "insert anything else". People can choose to interpret that as thinking that in life the reasons never matter, but no this is just specifically when it comes to burning shit and attacking innocents, to which nope: the reason doesn't matter.

I never said there isn't hate from the other side as well. It's definitely on both sides. I'm not excusing the violence by either side.

I realize this man and you just illustrated one of my biggest gripes. What Trump did was wrong in 2012. Even now, Trump was wrong to ever suggest he would not accept the results of the election. That is where my gripe comes in because as horrified as people were at these things..some of those same people are now the ones who don't want to accept the results of the election. They are the ones committing acts of violence specifically because they do not like how things turned out.

That is where the hypocrisy comes in. But I am not condoning violence by either side, or this type of behavior. It wasn't okay when Trump did it, and the mere fact he did it in the past definitely doesn't make it somehow less wrong for others to do it now.

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
Then why do you support the death penalty?

Didn't know we violently killed people with it these days.

Also as you can see from my above post, I talk about how attacking innocents for whatever reason is wrong.

Firefly218
But nobody said that it is only Hilary supporters. What I'm saying is I think setting fire to stuff and attacking innocent people for no reason is NOT somehow just a little less wrong because you're upset over Donald trump as opposed to "insert anything else". People can choose to interpret that as thinking that in life the reasons never matter, but no this is just specifically when it comes to burning shit and attacking innocents, to which nope: the reason doesn't matter.

I never said there isn't hate from the other side as well. It's definitely on both sides. I'm not excusing the violence by either side.

I realize this man and you just illustrated one of my biggest gripes. What Trump did was wrong in 2012. Even now, Trump was wrong to ever suggest he would not accept the results of the election. That is where my gripe comes in because as horrified as people were at these things..some of those same people are now the ones who don't want to accept the results of the election. They are the ones committing acts of violence specifically because they do not like how things turned out.

That is where the hypocrisy comes in. But I am not condoning violence by either side, or this type of behavior. It wasn't okay when Trump did it, and the mere fact he did it in the past definitely doesn't make it somehow less wrong for others to do it now. Okay so we're all against ppl doing bad things... Doesn't change the fact that liberals have a right to build a peaceful but strong and passionate opposition to the Trump regime.

Surtur
Doesn't change the fact that liberals have a right to build a peaceful but strong and passionate opposition to the Trump regime.

This is true, but nobody said they can't peacefully protest. They have that right.

I just want to say though that even ignoring vandalism and burning stuff and attacking people, blocking freeways or interstates or any other kind of public roads also falls under the category of "non peaceful ways to protest".

Bashar Teg
inflating the actions of a few rioters in order to conflate the significance of millions of protestors.
such original, much clever. wow!

Surtur
Except no..I never said these make the peaceful protests less significant.

These obnoxious few can make some others look bad, but it doesn't mean the reasons of the peaceful people aren't there.

Firefly218
This is true, but nobody said they can't peacefully protest. They have that right.

I just want to say though that even ignoring vandalism and burning stuff and attacking people, blocking freeways or interstates or any other kind of public roads also fall under the category of "non peaceful ways to protest". If you're gonna criticize the liberals then by principle you should equally criticize the Trump supporters, who are engaging in arguably worse activities.

There's a difference between being genuinely fearful for your livelihood and supporting a platform of hatred, bigotry and division.

Surtur
If you're gonna criticize the liberals then by principle you should equally criticize the Trump supporters, who are engaging in arguably worse activities.

There's a difference between being genuinely fearful for your livelihood and supporting a platform of hatred, bigotry and division.

They are both wrong, but you talk about equally criticizing and that is one of the reasons I talk about it..in the media we mostly hear about the activities of one side.

Firefly218
They are both wrong, but you talk about equally criticizing and that is one of the reasons I talk about it..in the media we mostly hear about the activities of one side. So you're trying to counterbalance the "liberal" media by exclusively criticizing liberals? How noble

Surtur
So you're trying to counterbalance the "liberal" media by exclusively criticizing liberals? How noble

Except I'm not exclusively criticizing them. I've talked in other topics as well about how both sides are wrong. Once again: Trump voters who are committing hate crimes and violence as just as bad, just as wrong.

As for me being noble? No. Definitely not anymore noble than focusing on the wrongdoings of one side while sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la la la" about the stuff on the other side.

jaden101
Well this went about as well as could be expected.

Worth a try though

Firefly218
Originally posted by jaden101
Well this went about as well as could be expected.

Worth a try though Every comedy will be a lowkey Trump roast

Surtur
Every comedy will be a lowkey Trump roast

Plus every drama that attempts to include some kind of political commentary will turn into unintentional comedy gold.

You and I might disagree on a lot, but we can agree this is all just comedy gold!

jaden101
So who'd play Trump in a movie, serious or otherwise?

Certainly not DeNiro 😂

Bashar Teg

Certainly not DeNiro 😂

what a dumb question. alec baldwin of course.

jaden101
Steven Seagal

Firefly218
Nicholas Cage or Bryan Cranston could make Trump a bit more interesting and less of a generic villain

Bashar Teg
Steven Seagal

damn...you're right. his skin is even close to the right color/texture.

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/headshots/steven-seagal-3.jpg

Surtur
So we've chosen who plays Trump, but who plays his hair?

I bet Andy Serkis could do wonders with the part and some nice CGI.

The Nuul

Certainly not DeNiro 😂

back to the future biff

http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/15/31/980x490/landscape-1438023859-trump-as-biff.jpg

Surtur
Oh shit no I got it. I have the perfect person. Joe Pesci, but not any Joe Pesci, Joe Pesci from the JFK movie:

http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsP/13696-9760.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uSDy3dXPTmw/RkTmqlcdOeI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/U0L7QrLZdGo/s320/Pesci+3.BMP

3ema7lfEAMk

John Murdoch
Oh shit no I got it. I have the perfect person. Joe Pesci, but not any Joe Pesci, Joe Pesci from the JFK movie:

http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsP/13696-9760.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uSDy3dXPTmw/RkTmqlcdOeI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/U0L7QrLZdGo/s320/Pesci+3.BMP

3ema7lfEAMk

HAHAHAHAHA.

Oliver Stone did JFK and W., why not Trump?

Also, big time lol at Future Biff as Trump and Andy Serkis finally getting that Oscar for portraying the hair. Great stuff!

Surtur
Originally posted by John Murdoch
HAHAHAHAHA.

Oliver Stone did JFK and W., why not Trump?

Also, big time lol at Future Biff as Trump and Andy Serkis finally getting that Oscar for portraying the hair. Great stuff!

Also for some reason in the JFK movie this happens:

KRnVZaVKrV8

Yes that is a scene from the JFK movie with Joe Pesci, Tommy Lee Jones, and Kevin Bacon having some kind of gay orgy. Joe Pesci is dressed like someone from the 1800's, I don't even know what the f*ck Kevin Bacon is supposed to be, and Tommy Lee Jones for some reason is painted gold.

And there is a part where Joe Pesci pinches the golden nipples of Tommy Lee Jones. It truly sounds like something you'd find in bad fan fiction. Or I guess really good fan fiction depending on your point of view.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.