Obama to tutor Donald on how to run the US.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beniboybling
From the Wall Street Journal:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/obama-is-planning-to-give-trump-some-extra-tutoring.html
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/barack-obama-donald-trump-transition

Oh dear, cause for... concern? Or maybe reassurance? Certainly brings new contexts to this expression:

http://i.imgur.com/Psu3UtL.png

Oh and this advertisement on greatagain.gov:

http://i.imgur.com/pDuskwh.png

Yes, that is actually real.

Honestly I'm starting to feel a little sorry for him. But then I laugh instead.

Nephthys
All these conspiracies for how Obama would try to stay in the White House after his terms up, yet I don't think anyone saw this coming...... mmm

Silent Master
Talk about obsessed.

Surtur
lol.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Silent Master
Talk about obsessed. Just keeping you updated darling.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Silent Master
Talk about obsessed.

'obsessed' indeed. do you have anything better to do than derail every topic on a dead movie forum that challenges your narrow world view? let me guess, i'm mad? cry gif? you're very clever.

Silent Master
Cool story, bro.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
'obsessed' indeed. do you have anything better to do than derail every topic on a dead movie forum that challenges your narrow world view? let me guess, i'm mad? cry gif? you're very clever.

You certainly seem genuinely irritated this time.

Silent Master
I was being serious. it was a cool story, bro.

Robtard
Originally posted by Beniboybling
From the Wall Street Journal:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/obama-is-planning-to-give-trump-some-extra-tutoring.html
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/barack-obama-donald-trump-transition

Oh dear, cause for... concern? Or maybe reassurance? Certainly brings new contexts to this expression:

http://i.imgur.com/Psu3UtL.png

Oh and this advertisement on greatagain.gov:

http://i.imgur.com/pDuskwh.png

Yes, that is actually real.

Honestly I'm starting to feel a little sorry for him. But then I laugh instead.

Obama's a decent guy and I'm sure he's doing it because he's concerned for the country, but that's not really his job is it.

He should leave when his time is up, America needs to learn a lesson the hard way in what are the repercussions in thinking 'no experience required' is a good idea for the position of POTUS.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Robtard

He should leave when his time is up, America needs to learn a lesson the hard way in what are the repercussions in thinking 'no experience required' is a good idea for the position of POTUS.

at what cost?

Surtur
Obama's a decent guy and I'm sure he's doing it because he's concerned for the country, but that's not really his job is it.

But it was less thinking that no experience required was good and more just thinking that everyone who did have experience was so very dishonest and corrupt. I know you disagree on how correct it is to believe that about Hilary, but it's where I saw a lot of people coming from.

I agree, Americans do need to learn a hard lesson and that lesson began when Trump won the presidency of this country. The lesson will continue no matter if his presidency goes smoothly or spectacularly bad. Since at the end of the day the real people who put Trump in the white house are all the ones who didn't vote for him, all the people who didn't pay attention to the other side. They let this happen.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
at what cost?

We're going to find out, but coddling and cosseting Trump isn't the right move. He's already being handed a country that is in a relatively good state, far better than when Obama took office in 2008.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
But it was less thinking that no experience required was good and more just thinking that everyone who did have experience was so very dishonest and corrupt. I know you disagree on how correct it is to believe that about Hilary, but it's where I saw a lot of people coming from.

I agree, Americans do need to learn a hard lesson and that lesson began when Trump won the presidency of this country. The lesson will continue no matter if his presidency goes smoothly or spectacularly bad. Since at the end of the day the real people who put Trump in the white house are all the ones who didn't vote for him, all the people who didn't pay attention to the other side. They let this happen.

Sure, whatever helps you cope with the upcoming shitcake even you're expecting Trump to bake for us.

Ah, the reversal of blame and so early, yes, clearly his voters (you being one of them) didn't elect Trump, it was everyone else.

Surtur
Serious question, how much damage can Trump do in 4 years?

I'm assuming Trump most likely couldn't achieve everything he wants to achieve in only 4 years, right?

Surtur
Sure, whatever helps you cope with the upcoming shitcake even you're expecting Trump to bake for us.

Ah, the reversal of blame and so early, yes, clearly his voters (you being one of them) didn't elect Trump, it was everyone else.

Well you see I don't like to use blame. People have been talking about that. "Oh in 4 years so and so will say they didn't vote Trump".

Truth is, in 4 years no matter what happens people shouldn't have to be defending who they voted for. It's pointless. But if we're going to complain and try to point fingers, maybe the people who so spectacularly failed to listen?

But then you just illustrated the problem by just laughing that off lol. Oh well, it was silly of me to think people would try to understand why this happened.

Beniboybling
Serious question, how much damage can Trump do in 4 years? Oh the famous last words. Do you really want to know?

Surtur
Oh the famous last words. Do you really want to know?

It's why I said "serious question".

I want you to keep in mind a few things. First, I'm not asking what Trump in super villain "I want to destroy everything" mode can do. Since obviously if he wanted he could order radioactive waste poured onto playgrounds and all that nonsense.

I'm saying just looking at his specific policies and what he says he wants to accomplish, what is the maximum amount of damage? On top of that, would it be reversible?

Robtard
Serious question, how much damage can Trump do in 4 years?

I'm assuming Trump most likely couldn't achieve everything he wants to achieve in only 4 years, right?

Really depends.

My main concern are Trump's appointments to the SC, as those last for decades to come. He's already got one because the Republican controlled Congress are being very un-American and won't allow Obama do to his job. Then there's the possibility that 3-4 more could retire or die during his 4-8 years.

Surtur
Okay, but one thing we hear about a lot is the environment. Lets look at that for a second. I feel like the courts and stuff are very hard to predict.

So let us say Trump goes for broke and he pulls out of the whole Paris thing. Let's assume whoever follows up in his presidency intends to basically undo everything Trump does when it comes to environmental issues.

What would happen in terms of environmental impact in those 4 Trump years?

Robtard
Well you see I don't like to use blame. People have been talking about that. "Oh in 4 years so and so will say they didn't vote Trump".

Truth is, in 4 years no matter what happens people shouldn't have to be defending who they voted for. It's pointless. But if we're going to complain and try to point fingers, maybe the people who so spectacularly failed to listen?

But then you just illustrated the problem by just laughing that off lol. Oh well, it was silly of me to think people would try to understand why this happened.

Considering we have Trump fair-weather fans already distancing themselves when they were gloating on election night and Trump hasn't even been sworn in, I don't think Basher's claim is all that unreasonable. If anything, he might have been a bit conservative in his "in 4 years" claim. More like 14 months.

LoL dude, it's almost like you outright expect Trump to become one of the most hated and disastrous presidents in history and you're trying to proactively defend the decision you made.

I laughed because you voted for Trump and are blaming others in why Trump is president. You should really stand by your decisions instead of flipping all over the place, imo.

Surtur
Considering we have Trump fair-weather fans already distancing themselves when they were gloating on election night and Trump hasn't even been sworn in, I don't think Basher's claim is all that unreasonable. If anything, he might have been a bit conservative in his "in 4 years" claim. More like 14 months.

LoL dude, it's almost like you outright expect Trump to become one of the most hated and disastrous presidents in history and you're trying to proactively defend the decision you made.

I have said I am doing the wait and see thing with him. I also don't actually feel anyone should have to truly defend who they voted for.

I never said I didn't stand by my decision though. What I said was I feel everyone played a role in this. I truly believe that, not because I feel I need to defend anything, and I'm not even saying that in a negative way. I think the people who didn't vote for Trump played their role in this because I feel some of their actions and behaviors might have spurned some folks to come out and vote Trump.

I stand 100% by my vote, and I always will. I'm just more or less trying to say one of the reasons he ended up winning was a failure to listen.

Beniboybling
Okay, but one thing we hear about a lot is the environment. Lets look at that for a second. I feel like the courts and stuff are very hard to predict.

So let us say Trump goes for broke and he pulls out of the whole Paris thing. Let's assume whoever follows up in his presidency intends to basically undo everything Trump does when it comes to environmental issues.

What would happen in terms of environmental impact in those 4 Trump years? Sure, but don't you think you should have been asking this question before you voted for him?

Surtur
Sure, but don't you think you should have been asking this question before you voted for him?

I'm more asking to try to understand just how badly some people feel this is going to get.

Lord Lucien
Sure, but don't you think you should have been asking this question before you voted for him? Yes, he should have.

Short-sightedness is universal, and the knee-jerk reaction to modern American politics and the visceral desire for "Change!" always leads to unforeseen consequences. Trump got in on that ticket and even now, the realizations are settling in that he may not be remotely qualified to occupy the Office.

I'm more asking to try to understand just how badly some people feel this is going to get. You're preemptively preparing your own defences for when Trump starts his decline--trying to establish a shield against the "See? What have you done?"s that are inevitably coming his voters' way.

Robtard
LoL Surt, you literally blamed the people who didn't support Trump for the Trump presidency, that's the blame-shifting I was referring to, which you'll already flipped on with "we're all responsible", what I mean about standing by your decisions.

Since at the end of the day the real people who put Trump in the white house are all the ones who didn't vote for him, all the people who didn't pay attention to the other side. They let this happen.

Beniboybling
I'm more asking to try to understand just how badly some people feel this is going to get. Well if we are considering some of the worst things that could happen we have things like ruining the planet's last chance to avert climate change disaster, pull out of NATO, cancel the Iran deal, roll back rights on abortion, gun control, maybe f*ck up the economy?, increase the national debt?

However, you should probably be more worried about the growing list of radical right-wingers he's beginning to gather around him, people like Steve Bannon, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they attempted to use their congressional power to make secure Republican majorities in future elections, and other unconstitutional shit.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yes, he should have.

Short-sightedness is universal, and the knee-jerk reaction to modern American politics and the visceral desire for "Change!" always leads to unforeseen consequences. Trump got in on that ticket and even now, the realizations are settling in that he may not be remotely qualified to occupy the Office. thumb up

Surtur
LoL Surt, you literally blamed the people who didn't support Trump for the Trump presidency, that's the blame-shifting I was referring to, which you'll already flipped on with "we're all responsible", what I mean about standing by your decisions.

I said at the end of the day I felt that. I didn't say it meant they solely and nobody else were responsible.

So once again: I'm standing by what I chose.

Surtur
You're preemptively preparing your own defences for when Trump starts his decline--trying to establish a shield against the "See? What have you done?"s that are inevitably coming his voters' way.

I don't need to prepare a defense though. I'm merely pointing out that when people want to start whining about pointing fingers, there will be plenty to point them at.

I stand by my vote for Trump. But I constantly hear people saying silly shit here all the time about "you won't say you voted, you won't say you voted" as if people who voted for Trump did all this? Please, it's bullshit. Plain and simple. You can choose to dress that up as "you're just preparing a defense" but it doesn't make it any less true.

From the moment Trump got elected all some could talk about was how others are going to have to defend this vote, etc.

Lord Lucien
I don't need to prepare a defense though. I'm merely pointing out that when people want to start whining about pointing fingers, there will be plenty to point them at.

I stand by my vote for Trump. But I constantly here people saying silly shit here all the time about "you won't say you voted, you won't say you voted" as if people who voted for Trump did all this? Please, it's bullshit. Plain and simple. You can choose to dress that up as "you're just preparing a defense" but it doesn't make it any less true.

From the moment Trump got elected all some could talk about was how others are going to have to defend this vote, etc. As you say.

Retroactively editing one's attitudes and beliefs is super easy, BTW. Hopefully if (when?) he starts f*cking up royally (even if the effects are only felt post-term), Trump voters with enough self-awareness can point to themselves and say "We put him in office" without simultaneously assigning blame to some other group.

Well if we are considering some of the worst things that could happen we have things like ruining the planet's last chance to avert climate change disaster, pull out of NATO, cancel the Iran deal, roll back rights on abortion, gun control, maybe f*ck up the economy?, increase the national debt? The Commonwealth Fund did an analysis on Trump's proposed Healthcare Reforms. Though now that he's come out in support of certain elements of the ACA, this may need to be updated. But as it stood then, his plan is gonna hit the federal deficit pretty hard, to the tune of $30 billion+

*note that's the deficit, not the federal debt.

Surtur
As you say.

Retroactively editing one's attitudes and beliefs is super easy, BTW. Hopefully if (when?) he starts f*cking up royally (even if the effects are only felt post-term), Trump voters with enough self-awareness can point to themselves and say "We put him in office" without simultaneously assigning blame to some other group.

But I don't need to edit anything. I will say it again so there is no confusion for people: yep, I believe at the end of the day his election was the result of those who failed to listen. Yes, obviously he also needs people to vote as well, nobody did this alone.

I think people do need to face the reasons this happened. But unlike you guys, I am not saying this will end in disaster. So I'm not trying to say this to you to try to defend Trump or so in the future I can say "gee well I told you so". I'm saying it because if people don't want this to happen again they need to know why it happened.

I'm standing by my choice, it's just I've already seen so many people so very concerned about what Trump voters will be saying and regretting and all this stuff. Just tells me people don't want to face why this happened.

Lord Lucien
But I don't need to edit anything. I will say it again so there is no confusion for people: yep, I believe at the end of the day his election was the result of those who failed to listen. Yes, obviously he also needs people to vote as well, nobody did this alone.

I think people do need to face the reasons this happened. But unlike you guys, I am not saying this will end in disaster. So I'm not trying to say this to you to try to defend Trump or so in the future I can say "gee well I told you so". I'm saying it because if people don't want this to happen again they need to know why it happened.

I'm standing by my choice, it's just I've already seen so many people so very concerned about what Trump voters will be saying and regretting and all this stuff. Just tells me people don't want to face why this happened. Of course not, admitting we may be a part of the problem (personally a part, not just collectively) hurts pride and ego. And conceits. Better to point and blame.

But if you want people to "listen" as you say, do them courtesy of doing the same. Listen to them. You've been quite keen to gloat, brag, and condescend recently. Do you really think that's the attitude people who don't agree with your positions appreciate? To lament that people don't listen leads to division and conflict, then to turn around and act like a smug jackass toward those very people... You can't ride the high horse while cutting its legs out from under you.

Surtur
But christ we're just arguing about blame now. This is why I'd rather talk about the reasons this happened as opposed to just trying to blame any group.

Surtur
Of course not, admitting we may be a part of the problem (personally a part, not just collectively) hurts pride and ego. And conceits. Better to point and blame.

But if you want people to "listen" as you say, do them courtesy of doing the same. Listen to them. You've been quite keen to gloat, brag, and condescend recently. Do you really think that's the attitude people who don't agree with your positions appreciate? To lament that people don't listen leads to division and conflict, then to turn around and act like a smug jackass toward those very people... You can't ride the high horse while cutting its legs out from under you.

But I'm not lamenting they aren't listening to me man. I just can't help just seeing that people don't seem to want to try to examine why this happened.

You are correct I do feel I can listen better, if people don't want to listen to me because I gloated fine, I just hope they don't ignore the overall situation.

Lord Lucien
But christ we're just arguing about blame now. This is why I'd rather talk about the reasons this happened as opposed to just trying to blame any group. Unfortunately in an election that involves two competing parties that appeal and market themselves toward specific groups of people, you can't "analyze" why without pinpointing those groups.

If you can do it without emotional investment or holier-than-thouism, you'll get somewhere. But good luck conveying that in text form. On a public and politically divisive message board. This message board.

But I'm not lamenting they aren't listening to me man. I just can't help just seeing that people don't seem to want to try to examine why this happened.

You are correct I do feel I can listen better, if people don't want to listen to me because I gloated fine, I just hope they don't ignore the overall situation. Listening to your opinion and feelings is as important as listening to someone else's. It's a collective thing spread across millions of people. Even if just one or two people can find common ground and mutual courtesy between their opinions, then it's still something. Something that needs to be repeated many more times.

Surtur
Unfortunately in an election that involves two competing parties that appeal and market themselves toward specific groups of people, you can't "analyze" why without pinpointing those groups.

If you can do it without emotional investment or holier-than-thouism, you'll get somewhere. But good luck conveying that in text form. On a public and politically divisive message board. This message board.

I guess this makes sense, but we need to try to analyze in a way that isn't blame.

People are less likely to listen if you full on just go right into blame mode.

I would imagine it might even make some Trump voters less likely to come and speak out against some of the stuff he does because they think someone might just shame them for having voted for him in the first place.

Robtard
I said at the end of the day I felt that. I didn't say it meant they solely and nobody else were responsible.

So once again: I'm standing by what I chose.

And I as I said, it's like you're expecting Trump to bake us a turdpie and you're preemptively trying to shirk responsibility in why Trump is president despite being a Trump supporter/voter; while passing on the blame to people who didn't support/vote for Trump in why Trump is president. Very mature, that.

Surtur
And I as I said, it's like you're expecting Trump to bake us a turdpie and you're preemptively trying to shirk responsibility in why Trump is president despite being a Trump supporter/voter; while passing on the blame to people who didn't support/vote for Trump in why Trump is president. Very mature, that.

I don't know what to expect. I'm not trying to shirk anything. I wanted people to understand the reasons that lead to his win.

I also feel I don't have anything to even shirk. Good or bad Trump's choices are his own. Trying to shirk it would be just as bad as going "I told ya so" if he turned out to be a great president.

Robtard
There's no singular reason in why he won, but you're literally trying to pass-the-buck already onto the people who didn't support/vote for him in why he won in the chance he ****s up you can wash your hands of it, despite supporting/voting for Trump.

Surtur
There's no singular reason in why he won, but you're literally trying to pass-the-buck already onto the people who didn't support/vote for him in why he won in the chance he ****s up you can wash your hands of it, despite supporting/voting for Trump.

I have said there are multiple reasons, I've also talked about what I feel played a major role.

But anyways, I don't think there is anything I or anyone else need to wash our hands of.

BackFire
Trump not knowing much about the job should surprise no one who has actually been following this election. He made it very clear numerous times during the debates that he doesn't actually know what the job entails, or its limits.

I'm glad to hear Obama is going to put a bit more effort than is normal to help teach and guide Trump, my hope is that he will continue to talk with Trump after and be a voice in his ear after Trump becomes president, and hopefully be a counter weight to the seemingly very extreme right wing echo chamber that Trump is setting up for himself in the whitehouse. Hopefully Obama can pull him in a slightly more moderate direction.

As far as how much damage Trump can do in 4 years, it's difficult to say. I think the most potential for long term damage would lie with foreign affairs and how the rest of the world might see America if Trump fails to actually earn their respect and earns a leadership role. Then other countries will take up that leadership role on various aspects. We're already seeing this with the Paris agreement for climate change. Other countries are planning on just moving forward without us, including China and possibly even Russia, this would improve the standing of China and Russia in the eyes of the rest of the world while simultaneously diminish our standing.

Silent Master
There might not be a singular reason why he won, but Hillary and the way a good portion of the media treated her are two of the reasons Trump won and it's both sad and funny that some people can't seem to bring themselves to admit it.

Surtur
I know some want Obama to just wash his hands of everything. Some because they don't want him involved, some because they feel America needs to learn a lesson. But I think that if it's shown Trump is actually willing to accept help from Obama(even only a small amount) that is a good sign.

BackFire
I know some want Obama to just wash his hands of everything. Some because they don't want him involved, some because they feel America needs to learn a lesson. But I think that if it's shown Trump is actually willing to accept any kind of help from Obama that is a good sign.

I agree. I think seeing the two of them together more often over the next couple of months will go a long way towards reassuring those who are legitimately scared of Trump and his presidency. Though ultimately it's Trump's actions that he will be judged on.

shiv
News Hour: Trump's World
BBC World Service
Sat 12 Nov 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04f31kt

Contributors:

James Woolsey - former Director of the CIA and currently a senior advisor to Donald Trump

Carl Bildt - former Swedish Prime Minister

Kevin Rudd - former Australian Prime Minister

Thomas Wright - fellow at the Brookings Insitution in Washington

Jane Arraf - journalist and writer who lives between Cairo and Baghdad

The Two Former Presidents of Sweden and Australia and The Former Head of The CIA

In particular

Give good information on The Transition Process.

A fully government staffed transition team has been working with trumps transition team for months now.

Strong Credible Sources of Information.
Different from comments leaked to the media by an un named, un-identified DNC loyalist on staff at The White House.

What Obama is saying. What Trump is saying.

Its a great narrative.

A Multi Trillion Dollar Apparatus like the U.S. Government just doesn't leave stuff like this to the last minute, to the last couple of months, to chance.

They've got it all worked out/Its been all worked out. Now that they've actually won the thing. They won't be rushing around trying to recruit 1 thousand or two thousand or 4 thousand people/faces.

They're just going to be be making the call ups now. If they haven't already made them.

Obama who is on his final foreighn tour now. This working together stuff. Its exactly the kind of stuff people want to hear in China, Europe, Asia, Africa.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by BackFire
Trump not knowing much about the job should surprise no one who has actually been following this election. He made it very clear numerous times during the debates that he doesn't actually know what the job entails, or its limits.

I'm glad to hear Obama is going to put a bit more effort than is normal to help teach and guide Trump, my hope is that he will continue to talk with Trump after and be a voice in his ear after Trump becomes president, and hopefully be a counter weight to the seemingly very extreme right wing echo chamber that Trump is setting up for himself in the whitehouse. Hopefully Obama can pull him in a slightly more moderate direction.

As far as how much damage Trump can do in 4 years, it's difficult to say. I think the most potential for long term damage would lie with foreign affairs and how the rest of the world might see America if Trump fails to actually earn their respect and earns a leadership role. Then other countries will take up that leadership role on various aspects. We're already seeing this with the Paris agreement for climate change. Other countries are planning on just moving forward without us, including China and possibly even Russia, this would improve the standing of China and Russia in the eyes of the rest of the world while simultaneously diminish our standing. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.