Rank these versions of Anakin/Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
TCW Anakin
ROTS Anakin (regular state of mind)
Zonakin
Knightfall Vader
Mustafar Vader

DarthDuelist9
1. Zonakin
2. Knightfall Vader
3. ROTS Anakin
4. Mustafar Vader
5. TCW Anakin

relentless1
Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
1. Zonakin
2. Knightfall Vader
3. ROTS Anakin
4. Mustafar Vader
5. TCW Anakin

switch TCW and Mustafar and thats a pretty decent list

DarthDuelist9
Originally posted by relentless1
switch TCW and Mustafar and thats a pretty decent list

Perhaps, it's kind of deciding what's more impressive, pushing back ROTS Obi-Wan or fighting as an equal with Dooku.

Kurk
Most powerful to least (fighting ability holistically) :

Zonakin
ROTJ Vader (Legends)
Knightfall Vader
ANH Vader (legends)
ESB Vader (legends and canon)
ANH Vader (canon)
Rebels Vader
LOTS Vader
Mustafar Vader / ROTS Anakin (regular state of mind)
ROTS Anakin (regular state of mind) / Mustafar Vader
RotJ Vader (canon)
TCW Anakin
AOTC Anakin
Vader shortly after getting the suit

Unsure
TFU Vader

Rebel95
Originally posted by Kurk
Most powerful to least (fighting ability holistically) :

Zonakin
ROTJ Vader (Legends)
Knightfall Vader
ANH Vader (legends)
ESB Vader (legends and canon)
ANH Vader (canon)
Rebels Vader
LOTS Vader
Mustafar Vader / ROTS Anakin (regular state of mind)
ROTS Anakin (regular state of mind) / Mustafar Vader
RotJ Vader (canon)
TCW Anakin
AOTC Anakin
Vader shortly after getting the suit

Unsure
TFU Vader
Why do you have ROTJ Vader so far apart in legends and canon?

Kurk
Originally posted by Rebel95
Why do you have ROTJ Vader so far apart in legends and canon?
Because RotJ is his peak in legends but Rebels era is his prime in canon so...

Some influential SW person said that Vader is "burnt out" during the RotJ in canon.

I would consider bumping canon RotJ right below LotS but idk if RotJ Luke > RotS Anakin

ares834
1/2. Zonakin/Knightfall Vader
3. Mustafar Vader
4. RotS Anakin
5. TCW Anakin

Rebel95
Personally I'd say:

1/2. Zonakin/Prime Darth Vader
3. Knightfall Vader
4. ROTS Anakin
5. Mustafar Vader
6. TCW Anakin

The Ellimist
Zone
Knightfall
ROTS
Mustafar
TCW

Solar Power
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Zone
Knightfall
ROTS
Mustafar
TCW

Originally posted by Rebel95
Personally I'd say:

1/2. Zonakin/Prime Darth Vader
3. Knightfall Vader
4. ROTS Anakin
5. Mustafar Vader
6. TCW Anakin

This seems good. Zonakin is Anakin with everything on the line determined to win, with the experience and gradual power growth accumulated from the clone wars and no emotional baggage (furnace heart too stronk). Knightfall Vader is similar, Anakin is taking out some subconscious arrogance along with the emotional hasty decision to become a sith to save Padme and Palpatine saving him from becoming too conflicted when slaughtering the jedi at the temple.

RotS Anakin is standard Anakin, better than his TCW self, but just operating on a normal level I would say he's >/= Dooku level.

Mustafar Anakin is emotionally ****ed, mind ****ed by Palpatine and the weight of his actions starting to catch up to him, making him rely on weak justifications. Feels like he's betrayed by the two people he loves most, but still too cognitively clouded to be convinced that he's wrong. Still powerful tho.

TCW Anakin is just inconsistent, at best stalemating Dooku, but at worst stalemating Hondo and a monkey-lizard. Not couonting Mortis showings ofc.
EDIT: *counting

Ursumeles
Zone
Knightfall
ROTS
Mustafar
TCW

Azronger
1. Knightfall
2. Zone
3. RotS
4. Mustafar
5. TCW

NewGuy01
1. Knightfall
2. "Zone"
3. RotS
4. Mustafar
5. TCW

Azronger
What are people's reasons for putting Mustafar Anakin above TCW?

The Ellimist
Why Knightfall over Zone?

Originally posted by Azronger
What are people's reasons for putting Mustafar Anakin above TCW?

Mustafar Anakin was driving back Obi Wan almost the entire fight, yet Obi Wan at this point does not seem to be that far off from Dooku as a duelist.

But generally it just seems unlikely that his emotional instability would not be covered by the growth from TCW to RotS, which by all accounts appears to be enormous.

Azronger
Why Knightfall over Zone?

Knightfall is more powerful than Sidious. Zone couldn't blitz Dooku.

That was my original reason for putting Mustafar above TCW, but then I came to consider Force abilities. What do you base your claim off of? What has Mustafar Vader done that is better than dominating Asajj Ventress?

SunRazer
Obi-Wan was also hindered for most of the fight, which includes almost all of the part where he was driven back.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Azronger
Knightfall is more powerful than Sidious.

Source?

Neither could Yoda. Sidious couldn't blitz Windu in pure sabers; the gap between them before vaapad seemed at most to be the same as Zonakin's and Dooku's.

What reason is there to think TCW Anakin is stronger in the Force?

In either case, I doubt a fight between the two would come down to telekinesis.

Sort of dominating Obi Wan, who at this point seems to be within the same tier as Dooku as a duelist. In either case, given that Mustafar Vader has only one fight, a lot of it is just guessing that he's probably better than an Anakin pre-big power boost.

JKBart
1. Zonakin
2. Knightfall Vader
3. Enraged RotS Anakin Skywalker
4. Regular RotS Anakin Skywalker
5. RotJ Vader
6. ANH Vader
7. Mustafar Vader
8. Late TCW Anakin Skywalker
9. 19-15 BBY Vader
10. AotC Anakin Skywalker

SunRazer
@Ellimist - He wasn't dominating Obi-Wan at all, and as I said, Obi-Wan was hindered for most of the fight.

DarthAnt66
Anakin was dominating Kenobi in the film version.

In the novel version, there was definitely more parity.

TenebrousWay
Late TCW Anakin > Mustafar Anakin, IMO.

SunRazer
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Anakin was dominating Kenobi in the film version.

Not really. He definitely landed more hits and had the advantage, but it wasn't really domination.

If you dominate a fight, it usually doesn't last anywhere near as long.

DarthAnt66
What? Anakin made Kenobi retreat like half a mile, lmfao.

SunRazer
Obi-Wan retreated a lot against Grievous as well. As I recall, Gillard also states that they "match each other perfectly", although I don't recall whether that's in reference to style or their actual performance in the fight.

DarthAnt66
No he didn't, lmfao. No where close to *a mile*, at least.

DarthAnt66
Actually, I don't think Kenobi yielded any ground against Grievous when it was all set and done (once the fight began). erm

SunRazer
Well, the fight against Grievous was shorter, but even as Obi-Wan was fighting Grievous and taking some of the General's weapon hands, he was on the backfoot. It's part of his style.

I agree that Anakin held the edge, and if your definition of dominance is just having the upper hand throughout the fight, then I'll agree with that as well. I'm not agreeing with anything akin to a stomp, obviously.

DarthAnt66
In the films, Kenobi's style isn't to yield ground. In the fight against Grievous, he didn't yield ground.

In the fight against Anakin, he yielded "a mile" of ground and constantly suffered devastating blows.

SunRazer
"Devastating"? They hurt, but inflicted no permanent damage whatsoever.

And yes, he did yield ground against Grievous. He's on the backfoot the entire time against Grievous. Yet he still took two of Grievous' hands.

The Ellimist
Kind of working against myself here but:

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
In the films, Kenobi's style isn't to yield ground.

It's common to yield ground if you're on the defensive against a more powerful foe, especially in this case, where his objective is to lure Anakin to the lava. There are several moments where it's inconvenient for him to give ground, and so he doesn't.

Well he jumps around and can dodge under him because Grievous is large and much slower than Anakin. He didn't really need to.

Which blows are you referring to?

DarthAnt66
@Nova: No, you're wrong.

Against Grievous, they fought back and forth, with the net with Kenobi maybe a few meters back.

With Anakin, it was one-sided and Kenobi was pushed back a mile of terrain.

SunRazer
Back and forth was at first, when Obi-Wan leapt over him. After Obi-Wan takes one of Grievous' hands and Grievous attacks with three lightsabers, you see Obi-Wan retreating pretty quickly as he fends off the General's strikes.

Yes, it's one-sided. There's a clear advantage on Anakin's side. I agree with you if that's what you meant by "dominating". As I said, I don't agree if you mean "stomping".

DarthAnt66
Then Kenobi positions his feat and holds his ground for the remainder of the battle.

It doesn't compare to retreating a mile of terrain. thumb down

SunRazer
Uh, no. Right after that, Obi-Wan takes another hand, and then Grievous bladelocks him and pushes him back again.

As I said, the fight against Anakin was much, much longer, and without any obvious way of winning straight-up, Obi-Wan would naturally have to retreat.

We shouldn't compare the total amount retreated, since the times elapsed in both fights don't compare either. What we should compare is the rate at which they were retreating. In which case, yes, Obi-Wan's rate of retreat in the Grievous fight was about the same as against Anakin in some parts of the Anakin fight, and even greater than against Anakin in other parts of the fight.

DarthAnt66
The fight is longer because Kenobi can't beat Anakin at the same speed he bested Grievous - that's the whole point. erm

DarthAnt66
The fight between Kenobi and Anakin showed the disparity that you admitted would be "enormous," minus Kenobi's familiarity with Anakin's style.

SunRazer
Yes, and I'm already in agreement with that.

You've ignored this about four times now - I'm in agreement if your definition of "domination" is just Anakin having the upper hand throughout the fight, with Obi-Wan having no obvious means of a straightforward victory. I don't agree if you mean that Anakin was stomping. That's all it comes down to.

DarthAnt66
I never said "stomping" - I said he was "dominating". erm

And he was - indisputably.

SunRazer
So the first definition? If so, we're in agreement.

That wasn't hard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.