Denning on Darth Caedus or Darth Krayt vs Luke Skywalker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Troy Denning is the author responsible for Invincible and Apocalypse, among many other works.

Q: Hey Mr. Denning, I'm currently reading "Invincible" and have a question: who is closer to Luke in power, Caedus or Krayt?

A: That's kind of like asking whether Bruce Lee or Royce Gracie could take Von Damme. (;

---

So, while obviously an indirect answer, it seems Krayt and Caedus are *a lot* closer to each other than Luke.

I know nothing about Van Damme or Royce Gracie though, so I might be reading this completely wrong. Thoughts?

UCanShootMyNova
Van Damme was not only a martial artist but a film director, an actor, a screen writer and film producer so I think what he might be getting at there is that while Caedus or Krayt might be able to match him in some areas it doesn't matter because Luke is a master of multiple other arts entirely.

Could be misinterpreting that though.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Van Damme was not only a martial artist but a film director, an actor, a screen writer and film producer
Wasn't Bruce Lee also all of those things though? confused

I don't think that's the direction he's getting at there.

UCanShootMyNova
Was he? Not very knowledgable on Bruce Lee.

*Shrug*

The guy's being vague either way.

DarthAnt66
Yeah, Lee was a famous actor. I never even heard of Van, but Lee's with Norris. wink

He's obviously being vague, but I feel he did give a legitimate answer in his response.

What the answer actually was though is the question. mmm

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

I'll do some research on Royce Gracie.

Deronn_solo
Royce Gracie is a MMA legend, Bruce Lee and Van are actors, not top-tier fighters.

I honestly have no idea what Troy is tryna say here.

DarthAnt66
I think we're thinking too much into it.

He's pitting Van with Luke, Lee with Caedus, and Gracie with Krayt.

The way he words his response seems to convey the notion Van would definitely win - and it wouldn't even be a question.

Of course this is his personal opinion, hence the winky face.

But the truth we can take from it is that Denning considers Caedus and Krayt roughly interchangeable, but Luke on another level.

Trocity
Now the question is: Do we scale Caedus up because of how high most people have Krayt? Or scale Krayt down cuz Caedus was debunked and totes suckz.

The Ellimist
The answer is rather nonsensical.

Ursumeles
What do we learn after that and Tahiri's pedophilia?
Denninh has problems.

Beniboybling
Krayt has been debunked.

S_W_LeGenD
That was.... never mind.

Time to crash Darth Krayt's hype train?

Ursumeles
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Krayt has been debunked.
Yes. Wredd has better feats than he has.
Aurra = Wredd > Krayt = Caedus.

Unbowed
Actually that answer is surprisingly accurate.

Bruce Lee and Van Damme are just paper tigers, dilletantes who never seriously competed, who were turned into legends because of legions of dumb fans.

Gracie(i.e. Krayt) is a serious martial artist and was in his day one of the top fighters in the world.

Ursumeles
laughing

Luke stomps Krayt, lmfao.

Unbowed
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
What the answer actually was though is the question. mmm
I think his response is getting at the fact that the question is inherently hard to answer and somewhat childish.

Like who would win, a ninja, a Navy SEAL or a Spartan?

Which is the better car, a Ferrari, a Hummer or a Rolls Royce?

Beniboybling
Probably.

ninja would win tho

Ursumeles
Spartan > Ninja.

ILS
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I think we're thinking too much into it.

He's pitting Van with Luke, Lee with Caedus, and Gracie with Krayt.

The way he words his response seems to convey the notion Van would definitely win - and it wouldn't even be a question.

Of course this is his personal opinion, hence the winky face.

But the truth we can take from it is that Denning considers Caedus and Krayt roughly interchangeable, but Luke on another level. The way he phrased it suggests to me that there's no way of really knowing, because all three are legends in their field and have never (and will never) meet in the ring. Meaning he doesn't necessarily even have Luke above them.

Specifically though, Gracie made massive innovations in his field while the other two spent less time competing and more time acting. If we interpret it that way, which I don't think it makes sense, he would be suggesting Krayt is better than both of them.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Spartan > Ninja. https://media.giphy.com/media/3dJ09sFeN0IjC/giphy.gif

Wrong.

Unbowed
I always thought that, given that Luke's spirit appeared in Legacy to get Cade to combat Krayt, and their encounter in Apocalypse that ended on ominous terms("you must not be so certain Master Skywalker"wink that eventually Luke was going to die at Krayt's hand.

Well that was before Disney and Legends.

The OP should ask Denning if maybe he heard something about that.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by Beniboybling
https://media.giphy.com/media/3dJ09sFeN0IjC/giphy.gif

Wrong.
https://media.giphy.com/media/nStOsf5lCmlVe/giphy.gif

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Unbowed
I always thought that, given that Luke's spirit appeared in Legacy to get Cade to combat Krayt, and their encounter in Apocalypse that ended on ominous terms("you must not be so certain Master Skywalker"wink that eventually Luke was going to die at Krayt's hand.

I came.

ILS
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I came. lmao

Unbowed
I think it makes sense.

If Luke
a) is aware there's another Sith Order running around
b) knows from Jacen's vision that Krayt will eventually sit on the Throne of Balance with Allana at his side

there's no way he wouldn't attempt to do something about it. And with Krayt and the rest of his order still being alive and kicking a century later, Luke obviously had to have failed.

The most logical inference was that Krayt eventually made an overture to Allana and he either corrupted her or forced her into serving him(or a combination, much like he attempted with Cade) and uncle Luke rode to the rescue.

So Krayt and Luke fought, maybe with Wyyrlok and the rest of Krayt's inner circle ganging up on Luke. Luke got killed, probably sacrificing himself in a desperate attempt to save her. Krayt was left a cunthair away from death, just like on Had Abbadon. Allana is in shock and sees the error of her ways but she doesn't pay attention to Krayt, who she thinks is dead. She goes on to lead the Jedi etc.

Krayt is rescued and goes into stasis for a long time. No more activity for the one Sith. The Jedi think they're wiped out. A century later Legacy happens.

You know it's true.

UCanShootMyNova
"Krayt was left a cunthair away from death"

Xtasy. Sig this for me.

ILS
Krayt not fighting Luke is a crime against fan service, to be honest.

ILS
Originally posted by Unbowed
Krayt was left a cunthair away from death Also, lmao.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.