Silence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji

Patient_Leech
Is this the one that's taken like a decade or something to make? Seems like I saw something about it a month or two ago...

Kazenji
All i know about it was, A few month's or more back the media (mainly online) thought Liam Neeson was dying of some sort of illness and of course it was for this.

BruceSkywalker
this looks surprisingly good

Zack M
Scorsese never fails.

Patient_Leech
Finally got around to watching the trailer for this. Looks interesting. I'm a big fan of Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ, so will certainly be interested to see this.

Man, Andrew Garfield is impressive. He went from Spiderman to working with two of the greatest director's of all time (Mel Gibson and Martin Scorsese).

Robtard
Really looking forward to seeing this, despite some poor reviews claiming this film is Scorsese at his worst.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
...despite some poor reviews claiming this film is Scorsese at his worst.

Whut?? Not according to the common consensus on RT.

Robtard
IIRC, a movie reviewer from the SF chronicle that said this was a failed Scorsese film and then another internet based site.

But as I said, still really looking forward to this.

edit: Found one, was SFgate; not The Chronicle. Not a positive review from this person: http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Silence-is-Scorsese-at-his-worst-10836003.php

Will likely watch the film this weekend.

Patient_Leech
Wow, yeah. Definitely not complimentary.

I'm not a big Christian sympathizer myself, especially if they're in their country trying to "convert" them or something, but I'll still be interested to see Scorsese's take on the material.

2 hours 40 min does sound like it could be a bit much. It can be hard to maintain interest for that long.

carthage
None of the theaters where I live are carrying this

Patient_Leech
Was lucky enough to catch a cheap showing of this today.

Like many Scorsese movies I've seen it's not necessarily an enjoyable watch, but very thought-provoking. Having had some experience actually going on some medical mission trips with my dad (and not agreeing with "mission" portion of them) I found it a very provocative and insightful film. Who are we to try to plant seeds of another religion in Japan where they live at peace and oneness with nature? I don't think anyone has that right, no matter how fervently you may believe you have "the Truth." Does that justify the means with which the Japanese tried to stamp it out...? not necessarily, but therein lies the conflict. The film also demonstrates the pointlessness of martyrdom. It solves nothing and proves nothing.

Great film. That being said, the film is too long and lacks interest in the beginning needing some editing, but then again I've felt that way about several Scorsese pictures.

Patient_Leech
Pretty interesting watch for those who have seen the film...

qjhqcv9gR_Q

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Was lucky enough to catch a cheap showing of this today.

Like many Scorsese movies I've seen it's not necessarily an enjoyable watch, but very thought-provoking. Having had some experience actually going on some medical mission trips with my dad (and not agreeing with "mission" portion of them) I found it a very provocative and insightful film. Who are we to try to plant seeds of another religion in Japan where they live at peace and oneness with nature? I don't think anyone has that right, no matter how fervently you may believe you have "the Truth." Does that justify the means with which the Japanese tried to stamp it out...? not necessarily, but therein lies the conflict. The film also demonstrates the pointlessness of martyrdom. It solves nothing and proves nothing.

Great film. That being said, the film is too long and lacks interest in the beginning needing some editing, but then again I've felt that way about several Scorsese pictures.

I revisited this film and still stand by my initial reaction for the most part. Except this time I watched it with subtitles and enjoyed it much more thoroughly. The length bothered me less with the subtitles since I was able to hang on every word, particularly when heavily-Japanese accented actors were speaking in English.

It's an incredible work. Rare marriage of subject matter and precision of filmmaking. The stubbornness of the Christians clinging to dogmatic beliefs strikes me as the opposite of a virtue and the way the Japanese inquisitors oblige the martyrs to let their suffering mirror their savior's seems obnoxious. But the inquisitors do at least mix it up a bit and torture others to make the priests apostatize.

It's a fascinating film. I watched Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ again and then revisited this after. I'm curious how precise they were able to get with historical accuracy in Silence... Hm..

This is an interesting video essay...

Yj7SGe7FcYE

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Senor Cage
Scorsese never fails.

Hugo disagrees

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.