Ask an Army Vet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
I'm not an army vet, but I know Impediment is, and a few others on the site.

Though maybe it was stupid to make this thread without their consent.

Anyway, go ahead.

Flyattractor
How many times have you gotten shot in the head?

Surtur
Just how much heroin did you do in Vietnam?

Bonus question: ever accidentally set a village on fire or something because you're on heroin while handling guns and flamethrowers?

Surtur
I'm just kidding I don't think these people did heroin in Vietnam

Though that scene in "Full Metal Jacket" where they are in the helicopter and the one soldier is just..shooting at peasants and shit. Does that shit actually happen anymore?

walshy
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm not an army vet, but I know Impediment is, and a few others on the site.

Though maybe it was stupid to make this thread without their consent.

Anyway, go ahead. you even say it's stupid and you do it anyway????
Anyways I'm also an army veteran

Jmanghan
Originally posted by walshy
you even say it's stupid and you do it anyway????
Anyways I'm also an army veteran

Now... When you say Army Veteran...

walshy
I got a badge and certificate from the ministry of defence for partaking in army training

Flyattractor
Yeah that aint how it works Skippy...

RanebowSmack
Do you think women should be active participants in combat?

Surtur
I still don't even know if Walshy is a dude or not.

I'm just going to say it: if Walshy is male, that's extremely creepy to be pretending to be a chick.

If he/she is not male then okay...

Flyattractor
Originally posted by RanebowSmack
Do you think women should be active participants in combat?

Getting shot, blowed up and tortured should be an equal opportunity occupation.

walshy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36746917

I'm not sure about US but British army started allowing women in infantry earlier this year

shiv
Is there a polite way to say "You're Not In The Army Now General" to a neighbour who thinks the neighbourhood he moved into last Tuesday is an Army Base.

Surtur
Originally posted by shiv
Is there a polite way to say "You're Not In The Army Now General" to a neighbour who thinks the neighbourhood he moved into last Tuesday is an Army Base.

Tell him you want to visit the nearest army base and then ask him if he knows where it is. So then if it's like 5 miles away you then repeat it back to him and stress it that "Oh, so then there isn't any Army Bases around here for at least 5 miles? Interesting, very interesting."

walshy
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yeah that aint how it works Skippy... I had to swear an oath to the queen n shit

Impediment
Ask me anything.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Impediment
Ask me anything.
Ok....
Originally posted by walshy
I had to swear an oath to the queen n shit

Do you think Walshy could survive the hazing he/she/it would get during boot camp?

Surtur
Ask me anything.

Is there any semblance of reality in this or did Stanley Kubrick lie right to my face?

MsUmP1PGBGE

In other words my question is..does everybody really each get their own free towel?

Impediment
Blanket parties do happen, but hazing is a serious offense.

Jmanghan
Ask me anything. Are you allowed to bring game consoles with you?

I was thinking about getting my cousin a Playstation Vita next time I see him. (He's in the Coast Guard.)

Impediment
Are you allowed to bring game consoles with you?

I was thinking about getting my cousin a Playstation Vita next time I see him. (He's in the Coast Guard.)

In basic training no way, but once you're at your assigned duty station then yes.

RanebowSmack
How much are animals used in combat? Dogs or birds.

Surtur
Oh shit it'd be awesome if they had like trained American Eagles that could carry messages back and forth.

I do know there are mine detecting dogs and shit.

Impediment
Originally posted by RanebowSmack
How much are animals used in combat? Dogs or birds.

Dogs are very much used. German shepherds are amazing animals.

The Navy is training dolphins for sonar recon, too.

Surtur
Dogs are very much used. German shepherds are amazing animals.

The Navy is training dolphins for sonar recon, too.

Are american eagles used at all? Or hell falcons?

Impediment
Originally posted by Surtur
Are American eagles used at all? Or hell falcons?

LOL. No.

shiv
Do you miss the paperwork?

John Murdoch
Originally posted by shiv
Do you miss the paperwork?

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about that today...on my drive to work...with the Federal Bureau of Prisons...which has lots of paperwork involved.

wacko

Impediment
Never was a lot of paperwork in the infantry.

Jmanghan
How frequently do you get breaks from your job, get to go home and whatnot after you've been assigned?

Furthermore, (this is more a personal question), I know you're into video games, so is there any consoles you brought with you in the service? Handheld or ones that plug into a tv?

Impediment
How frequently do you get breaks from your job, get to go home and whatnot after you've been assigned?

Depending on where your home is, you can go there whenever you want to, just as long as you're back at your company for first formation in the morning, which usually PT. You accrue X amount of leave days per month that can be used. When I was in, the max amount of leave was 2 weeks per year, paid in full.

Furthermore, (this is more a personal question), I know you're into video games, so is there any consoles you brought with you in the service? Handheld or ones that plug into a tv?

If you mean Basic Training, then no, not at all.

When you get to your duty station, wherever it may be, you have the option to live off post in an apartment that you pay for out of your own pocket, or you can live in the barracks free of charge in a room with one roommate. You can have a tv, consoles, stereos, etc, in there.

I had the PS1, PS2, and the GameCube when I was in.

Jmanghan
Depending on where your home is, you can go there whenever you want to, just as long as you're back at your company for first formation in the morning, which usually PT. You accrue X amount of leave days per month that can be used. When I was in, the max amount of leave was 2 weeks per year, paid in full.

If you mean Basic Training, then no, not at all.

When you get to your duty station, wherever it may be, you have the option to live off post in an apartment that you pay for out of your own pocket, or you can live in the barracks free of charge in a room with one roommate. You can have a tv, consoles, stereos, etc, in there.

I had the PS1, PS2, and the GameCube when I was in.

Nah, and I didn't think you meant Basic Training.

Speaking of Basic Training, is it as soul-crushingly brutal as everyone says it is?

Impediment
It all depends on your personal resolve. It was the "best experience of my life that I NEVER want to do again".

Jmanghan
Is there like... special events? Like on-base, is there a movie night or something?

I know this is a weird question, and that its a job, above all else, but I'm curious.

jinXed by JaNx
Did you name your rifle?

What's the best perk that comes with serving? Raping the indigenous or a license to murder?

Impediment
Is there like... special events? Like on-base, is there a movie night or something?

I know this is a weird question, and that its a job, above all else, but I'm curious.

There's lots of things on base. You can come and go as you please. It's just like any other job, except you're stationed on that base. You can either live on or off base as you please. Bars, theaters, clubs, etc, have lots of events.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Did you name your rifle?

What's the best perk that comes with serving? Raping the indigenous or a license to murder?

Nah, I never named anything.

Neither of those. Perks are in the eye of the beholder.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.