Remakes that should NEVER happen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
I'll say the LOTR trilogy.

Kazenji
Back To The Future.

Ridley_Prime
Original Star Wars trilogy.

Tattoos N Scars
Sharknado series at any point in the future.

On a more serious note, both Rambo and Indiana Jones should never be remade. Stallone and Ford completely own those roles. Rocky too.

marwash22
Originally posted by Zack M
I'll say the LOTR trilogy. you're against making good movies?

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/sass1.png

marwash22
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Original Star Wars trilogy. lol. that's actually one that would benefit from a remake seeing as those movies are very outdated and didn't age well.

granted, I'm against it too, just because "they'd" likely fck it up somehow.

riv6672
I'm up for any movie being remade if its done well.

marwash22
Riv, i generally agree with that sentiment, but i dunno about "any" movie tho. Some movies are perfect and hold up to time, so a remake is pointless.

Even if a "perfect" movie gets remade, I don't lose sleep over it because it doesn't effect the original in any way. i can still watch the Ahnold 'Total Recall' and pretend the new one with Ferrell doesn't exist.

riv6672
Exactly! I love your mindset.
A remake doesnt reflect on the original. If its good then great, if its Total Recall, those that made it lose more than me.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by marwash22
Even if a "perfect" movie gets remade, I don't lose sleep over it because it doesn't effect the original in any way. i can still watch the Ahnold 'Total Recall' and pretend the new one with Ferrell doesn't exist.

Right, with stuff where the effects just need to be updated that's fine, but with something like Ghostbusters where the dry wit and chemistry would be damn near impossible to recreate, why bother? And you see it just pissed everyone off and flopped like a fish out of water.

Something like one of my favorite movies, Full Metal Jacket (or just about anything by Kubrick, really) is another example of something that would just be pointless to remake because the chemistry and genius of the performances and direction is impossible to recreate and will just cause disgust. Even the Psycho remake where they tried to do it shot for shot was terrible.

To me those are the kinds of movies that shouldn't be remade. And it's sad to say but a lot of the more modern filmmaking trends (more cuts, more digital effects) are often more damaging to films than beneficial, because there are few who know how to use them effectively. It's just studios trying to capitalize on name recognition to make some quick bucks. And no, it doesn't technically effect the original, but in a way it does because younger generations won't even know of the original.

Another example:

Point Break (1991) - 7.2 (on IMDB)
Point Break (2015) - 5.3 (on IMDB)

Two words: Gary Busey.

http://dailyxy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/72014-actor-gary-busey-arrives-at-the-80th-annual-academy-awards-in-hollywoo.jpg

Impediment
Godfather
Jaws
Star Wars
Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by Impediment
Godfather
Jaws
Star Wars
Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

You did not like Johnny Depp's remake? lol. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Kazenji
Back To The Future.

I actually want a new Back to the Future.

But yeah the chances of a new one not living to to the original is pretty damn high.

Surtur
Originally posted by riv6672
Exactly! I love your mindset.
A remake doesnt reflect on the original. If its good then great, if its Total Recall, those that made it lose more than me.

Agreed, I remember thinking this especially when the 2009 Star Trek movie came out and they destroyed Vulcan in it. Some people acted like this somehow magically erased all prior Star Trek movies and tv episodes out of existence.

It's the same with Star Wars and "GL raped by childhood".

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
Agreed, I remember thinking this especially when the 2009 Star Trek movie came out and they destroyed Vulcan in it. Some people acted like this somehow magically erased all prior Star Trek movies and tv episodes out of existence.

It's the same with Star Wars and "GL raped by childhood".
Yeah.
All the movies mentioned above? None of them matter if you/i/we didnt like them. The originals are still there.

Surtur
This is why netflix is such a glorious thing.

jinXed by JaNx
I think every movie should be released with a remake.

Impediment
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
You did not like Johnny Depp's remake? lol. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Absolute dog shit.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Right, with stuff where the effects just need to be updated that's fine, but with something like Ghostbusters where the dry wit and chemistry would be damn near impossible to recreate, why bother? And you see it just pissed everyone off and flopped like a fish out of water.

Something like one of my favorite movies, Full Metal Jacket (or just about anything by Kubrick, really) is another example of something that would just be pointless to remake because the chemistry and genius of the performances and direction is impossible to recreate and will just cause disgust. Even the Psycho remake where they tried to do it shot for shot was terrible.

To me those are the kinds of movies that shouldn't be remade. And it's sad to say but a lot of the more modern filmmaking trends (more cuts, more digital effects) are often more damaging to films than beneficial, because there are few who know how to use them effectively. It's just studios trying to capitalize on name recognition to make some quick bucks. And no, it doesn't technically effect the original, but in a way it does because younger generations won't even know of the original.

Another example:

Point Break (1991) - 7.2 (on IMDB)
Point Break (2015) - 5.3 (on IMDB)

Two words: Gary Busey.

http://dailyxy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/72014-actor-gary-busey-arrives-at-the-80th-annual-academy-awards-in-hollywoo.jpg

Someone mentioned in the YouTube comments for the 2015 Point Break trailer that 1991 Point Break had already been remade: in essence, The Fast and the Furious was a remake in terms of being in the same spirit.

That sounds like an interesting thread: what movies essentially remade other movies?

John Murdoch
But, on topic, Jurassic Park and the Indiana Jones movies. The contemporary effects seen in those movies (except Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) immerse you moreso in the movie than modern CGI remakes would, as well as making the films all that more enjoyable.

This pretty much goes for anything along those lines: ET, Star Wars OT, etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.