2017 movie lineup

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

0mega Spawn
Is it just me or is the 2017 movie lineup the best it's been in years

Zack M
What are your top 5 you're looking forward to?

Kazenji
Hoping its a better year for the WB/DC made movies.

Firefly218
GotG 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Logan
Alien Covenant
Star Wars Episode 8

To name a few

riv6672
In NPO

Spider-man Homecoming (looks fun, and Keaton as Vulture is cool)
Clerks III/MallBrats (dates keep changing so here's hoping)
Skull Island (if only for John C. Reilly's manic performance)
Wonder Woman (i like that it seems to be a period piece)
Split (looks really interesting)
Guardians 2 (because awesome)

I dont really look for trailers online, but from what i've seen here and there, the above will be must sees for the reasons i stated.

Patient_Leech
In precisely this order...

1. Alien: Covenent
2. John Wick: Chapter 2
3. GotG Vol. 2
4. War For The Planet of the Apes
5. Underworld: Blood Wars
6. xXx: The Return of Xander Cage
7. Thor: Ragnorak
8. Kong: Skull Island
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
10. World War Z: 2 (Is this coming out in 2017?)

No one should ever look forward to DC movies ever again.

riv6672
I would put more stock in that statement if you didnt have the latest Underworld movie on your must see list. laughing

Kazenji
In no order

Alien: Covenent
John Wick: Chapter 2
GotG Vol. 2
War For The Planet of the Apes
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage
Thor: Ragnorak
Kong: Skull Island
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Spider-man Homecoming
Split
Star Wars Episode 8
Logan

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
I would put more stock in that statement if you didnt have the latest Underworld movie on your must see list. laughing

Underworld is a much better established universe than DC's. At least it has the balls to be R-rated instead of Suicide Squad, a movie about villains, and the doublestandard in BvS with Batman going on a killing spree, yet it's still PG-13. BvS and SS were the biggest turds of 2016. They clearly do not give a shit, because they know it will make a ton of money with Batman and the Joker.

riv6672
Turd.

Kazenji
I'm sure you are.

riv6672
I'm sure THIS is.

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/underworld-5-blood-wars-poster-kate-beckinsale.jpg

Flyattractor
Well the air brushing and leather does make it look better.

John Murdoch
Some must-sees, no particular order:
- Logan
- Ghost in the Shell
- Star Wars Episode VIII
- GotG 2
- Beauty and the Beast
- Blade Runner
- Alien: Covenant
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- John Wick 2
- Split

carthage
Logan
Ghost in the Shell
Star Wars
Alien Covenant
Thor Ragnarok

I would put Wonder Woman but I honestly have no faith in Warner brothers at this point, and Thor is going to be an action packed film.

Ascendancy
Why is WWZ: 2 on your list? The first one was the most inane waste of bytes since the inception of the digital motion picture. Is there something that I don't know about that will redeem it? They really couldn't have ventured any further from what made the book as great of a read as it was, and if anyone from the original is involved in it, I hope that every system containing scenes from the film spontaneously becomes self-aware and erases itself for the good of the universe.

riv6672
^^^laughing

Kazenji
simple minds are easily amused.

riv6672
^^^Which is why you obviously find yourself amusing.

You dont like the fact that i think the Underworld series sucks?
Tough shit, Kaz. smile

Ascendancy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azGzlvCygA

Flyattractor
Wasn't WWZ kind of a Flop? Or did it actually manage to make enough money?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Wasn't WWZ kind of a Flop? Or did it actually manage to make enough money?

It did decently (Box Office Mojo).

The trouble is a lot of people here are used to looking at Superhero comic movie numbers and yeah, they make bank. But that's still a profit.

Ascendancy
Any money it made was lucky for the two hours of garbage that it put on screen. The plot was dumb, and the director seemed to think the audience was full of morons with the 'reveal' of the 'secret' weapon against the zombies. Let's not forget either how they destroyed Brooks' description of the plague itself and how it developed. Literally one of the worst zombie films ever.

Khazra Reborn
Am I the only one looking forward to the beginning of Universal's shared Monster Universe?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Any money it made was lucky for the two hours of garbage that it put on screen. The plot was dumb, and the director seemed to think the audience was full of morons with the 'reveal' of the 'secret' weapon against the zombies. Let's not forget either how they destroyed Brooks' description of the plague itself and how it developed. Literally one of the worst zombie films ever.

Cool story bro

not everyone has read the book like yourself.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Am I the only one looking forward to the beginning of Universal's shared Monster Universe?

I'm still reserving judgment on that one. Will see how I enjoy the first film, and go from there.

Esau Cairn
The plot was dumb, and the director seemed to think the audience was full of morons with the 'reveal' of the 'secret' weapon against the zombies.

Name a zombie movie where the plot wasn't dumb.

I didn't find the "reveal" as moronic but more a nod to H.G Wells' War Of The Worlds.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Name a zombie movie where the plot wasn't dumb.

I didn't find the "reveal" as moronic but more a nod to H.G Wells' War Of The Worlds.
Them going back over and over and over and hitting the audience in the head with "zombies ignore you if you're already terminal" was pathetically bad. It's one thing to make sure that everyone is keyed in on what's going on in case they missed the context clues, but they both saturated the movie with those context clues, then did 5 minutes of flashbacks with voice overs. The only way it could have been more overdone is if they put massive text up on the screen saying that if you have a terminal illness they'll ignore you.

I have no problem with a nod to plot devices from other well-known films, but they handled it poorly.

I also get that not everyone has read the novels, but there was literally no reason to even buy the rights from Brooks because their story so loosely touches on it that if it hadn't been called the same thing I'd have had no idea it was in any way sourced from it. The book was great because it told the story from the perspective of survivors all over the world and made what happened a puzzle that came together over the course of the read. WWZ was just a bunch of disjointed action scenes with lulls in the middle that did little to help connect to the characters.

Lastly, the masses of CGI zombie track stars throughout was a weak trope. I don't think anyone would find TWD enjoyable if every episode were them running into a new herd, and even less so if they were the type in WWZ. Fast zombies are rarely the way to go, and the film handled them horribly.

I'm glad that Brooks is getting extra checks for his IP, but it sucks the big one that Hollywood decided to destroy such amazing source material and turn it into something so generic and story-wise on a B-movie level if it weren't for the budget and Pitt at the helm.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Yes.

Esau Cairn
Them going back over and over and over and hitting the audience in the head with "zombies ignore you if you're already terminal" was pathetically bad. It's one thing to make sure that everyone is keyed in on what's going on in case they missed the context clues, but they both saturated the movie with those context clues, then did 5 minutes of flashbacks with voice overs.

From memory there's only 3 or 4 incidents where the zombies "ignore" the injured,sick or weak (soldier with injured leg, sick kid, old man & maybe a 4th I can't remember...)

These incidents nag Pitt's character & he plays them back in his head (once) before he makes the connection. He then gives his summary to both the scientists & audience alike.

I honestly wouldn't call this a saturation of context clues.

As I compared it with War Of The Worlds where there is zero context at all.

A voice over telling us the aliens are defeated because of the common cold. The end.

Then you have The Wizard Of Oz where the wicked witch's demise is a bucket of water. No context, no explanation why whatsoever...the audience just accepts it. The end.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yes. wacko

Esau Cairn

I also get that not everyone has read the novels, but there was literally no reason to even buy the rights from Brooks because their story so loosely touches on it that if it hadn't been called the same thing I'd have had no idea it was in any way sourced from it. The book was great because it told the story from the perspective of survivors all over the world and made what happened a puzzle that came together over the course of the read. WWZ was just a bunch of disjointed action scenes with lulls in the middle that did little to help connect to the characters.

I tried reading WWZ but I found the "interview format" tedious & definitely not the greatest source material for Pitt to make a Hollywood blockbuster with.

It probably would've worked better as a tv series if they wanted to stay close to the source material as possible.

This isn't the first time Hollywood has bought the rights & then went ahead & butchered the source material. Won't be the last either.

marwash22

Spider-man Homecoming
Skull Island
Wonder Woman
Split

John Wick: Chapter 2
War For The Planet of the Apes

Originally posted by John Murdoch

Star Wars Episode VIIIthumb up

Esau Cairn

TWD's perspective is more about humanity's downfall & the level of evil & violence certain aspects of society will easily resort to. The zombies become 2nd nature like dealing with seasonal droughts, plagues & storms...they're not so much a threat as a way of life to deal with.
It's always about the evil encounters with humans that keeps the story going.

TheVaultDweller
Fast zombies worked in Zombieland. Remember to do your cardio. big grin

Ascendancy
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Haha, QFT. I'll definitely give you that one.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

Great call.

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake as well.

Patient_Leech
lol

H18RUB1cxfI&feature=youtu.be&t=5m18s

Ascendancy
The descriptions of Underworld, Resident Evil, and Alien were hilarious. I'll still definitely be seeing the latter two, doe, hah.

That writers' strike really did a number on Hollywood.

riv6672
Looking forward to Resident Evil & Alien. thumb up

Kazenji
**** the Resident Evil as far as i care

looking more forward to Resident Evil 7 game.

riv6672
Originally posted by Kazenji
**** the Resident Evil as far as i care
Thats how i feel about Underworld. laughing

Unfortunately i had to see it, as my spouse is a fan. no
Fortunately she's also a RE fan, so i get to crush on Alice with no worries! yes

Kazenji
I hate the movies with Milla, Except for the 1st movie it was somewhat like the games

but i'd rather watch the CG animated movies.

queeq
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Is it just me or is the 2017 movie lineup the best it's been in years

Errr.... it's sequels, reboots, remakes... all rehash of stuff we've seen before. How can that be the best movie line up? It's more a demonstration of lack of imagination and vision, and a strong sense of greed in milking the cow...

This line up is only about money. Not about great movies.

Kazenji
I'm sure that there will be other movies yet to be announced, Ones that'll try and get nominated for next years awards season.

riv6672
Those are the movies i usually dont enjoy.

queeq
Riv is a sequels lover.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by queeq
Errr.... it's sequels, reboots, remakes... all rehash of stuff we've seen before. How can that be the best movie line up? It's more a demonstration of lack of imagination and vision, and a strong sense of greed in milking the cow...

This line up is only about money. Not about great movies.

Yeah, but don't be a total negative Nancy. At least some of the sequels are to really good stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, War for the Planet of the Apes, John Wick, Alien, etc.. it's an exciting year. Yeah, I couldn't give less of a shit about Power Rangers or Transformers, etc.. but that's the case with every year.

queeq
True.

War of the Planet of the Apes: definitely a wanna-see. So is Guardians (although I dread a movie that's lost the magic of the original).

Alien Convenant... well, to be honest... I dunno. Big Alien fan here, big Ridely Scott fan too... but from what I saw so far is much of the same: people get off spaceship, explore another spaceship, find eggs, eggs hatch, face hugger comes out, people running through hallways, people getting locked out because of infection... and then I guess aliens show up. Oh, and there is a droid.

Hollywood is running out of ideas, people.

riv6672
Riv is a sequels lover.
And you hate everything, if we're stating the obvious.

Patient_Leech

Hollywood is running out of ideas, people.

Here you go...

15 Original Movies Coming Out in 2017

I'm looking forward to Valerian and A Cure For Wellness the most, but some others sound interesting, like Life and I'm also interested in just about anything del Toro does.

riv6672
I'm interested in how many of those queeq will hate. laughing

Flyattractor
Dunkirk maybe, if Nolan don't lay too much of his style of butter on it. Valerian(?) looks way to Euro to be really good imo.

BruceSkywalker
Here you go...

I'm looking forward to Valerian and A Cure For Wellness the most, but some others sound interesting, like Life and I'm also interested in just about anything del Toro does.

will be seeing the bulk of these

carthage
Life and Song to Song look like the most promising, Valerian is another obvious pick for me as well

queeq
I'm interested in how many of those queeq will hate. laughing

Why do you say I hate everything? Just because I don't swallow everything the studio's feed me.

Some of the original movies look good. I wonder what Abrams will do with Dark Tower... I feel like he's kinda lost his magic a bit since ST:ID.

Valerian, I dunno... looks to me a little like Jupiter Ascending: a CGI fest... and we have to wait and see if there's any substance to it.

A Cure for Wellness looks very interesting... but it also has all the ingredients for a generic horror film. We just have to wait and see.

ianthek
There are quite a few this year that look promising, and that's from a cynical old git. Hopefully they won't suck.

queeq
Actually, I do look forward to Spider-Man Homecoming.

Ascendancy
Here you go...

That whole slate of originals looks great, though I'm really, really not pleased that the one trailer for Life showed exactly who falls victim to the organism first. Who makes these trailers? mad

Also looks like Besson is finally in form for the first time since Fifth Element. I really might have to skip all the sequels in favor of all the original releases. Well, most of the sequels/reboots anyway.

Kazenji
Valerian isn't really "Original" as its based on someone else's work.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Valerian isn't really "Original" as its based on someone else's work.

Just means not a sequel or remake.

queeq
Exactly. That'll do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.