Games that haven't aged well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VG_Addict
What are some games that were great for their time, or that you loved as a kid, but have aged poorly?

John Murdoch
One could argue Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Even the Goldeneye Reloaded and 007 Legends games abandoned its gameplay mechanics for those of the Call of Duty variety

cdtm
A lot of Genesis games, tbh.

Beyond Oasis is one good example. Big 16 bit graphics, awesome monsters, beat 'em up mechanics..

Awkward movements, a "trying too hard to be edgy" air about it. It's just not as timeless as the Zelda's. Like comparing Disney to Action Park. Or Pixar to Dreamworks.

Same deal with Sonic to Mario. Sonic's a perfectly good platformer, but hasn't aged nearly as well as Super Mario World..

Not saying Sega games were BAD, per say. They weren't. It's just, they were trying to beat Nintendo while Nintendo was just trying to outdo themselves, and it shows.

Nusa105
First Person Shooter i guess

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by John Murdoch
One could argue Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Even the Goldeneye Reloaded and 007 Legends games abandoned its gameplay mechanics for those of the Call of Duty variety
Aye. Goldeneye did sadly, age bad. Recently though, there was plenty footage shown of the cancelled port of it for XBL arcade (just look on youtube) with much better visuals and everything. Shame that game has to be in copyright hell. One major thing about Goldeneye I will say stands the test of time however, is the music.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Aye. Goldeneye did sadly, age bad. Recently though, there was plenty footage shown of the cancelled port of it for XBL arcade (just look on youtube) with much better visuals and everything. Shame that game has to be in copyright hell. One major thing about Goldeneye I will say stands the test of time however, is the music.

I will have to take a gander, Ridley. Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark are pretty much responsible for getting into any shooter games down the line in my life, so I'm interested.

That music is instantly recognizable and timeless for sure.

Ridley_Prime
Aye, yep.

Oh, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

Kazenji
Seems to come back to personal tastes this topic.

Khazra Reborn
I love N64, but most of its games have aged pretty poorly, not true for all, but most.

Ridley_Prime
It was the introduction to the transition from 2D to 3D era of gaming, so what'd ya expect?

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
It was the introduction to the transition from 2D to 3D era of gaming, so what'd ya expect?

Indeed. thumb up

Some games have aged very well though, I can play Mario 64 today, and enjoy it as much as I did then.

Arachnid1
The Silent Hill games and old REs, though I still love them

Luckily, RE7 will be the perfect evolution of the old gameplay

Tzeentch
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/The_Last_Guardian_cover_art.jpg

ares834
laughing out loud

cdtm
Shadow of Colossus certainly hasn't aged well. At least, the PS2 version hasn't.

And before anyone says "duh, PS2", God of War II STILL looks awesome to this day. Remember, that PS2 game was big news DURING the 360 era.

Lots of other games aged pretty gracefully, if not as.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1

thumb up

i was okay with the tank like control's too.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Arachnid1

Luckily, RE7 will be the perfect evolution of the old gameplay

Can't say I agree tbh, at least not completely, but that's me.

Unless we're talking just graphics, which of course have aged horribly.

Adam Grimes
RE 1, 2, Silent hill 1, 3 and especially 2 are still masterpieces in my book.

I'll go ahead and say Digimon 2003. As a kid I loved it but tried playing it on my phone last year and couldn't stomach the ****ing grind.

cdtm
Dungeon crawlers, like Shining in the Darkness, and the first few Phantasy Stars, where you're lost without a map.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
Dungeon crawlers, like Shining in the Darkness, and the first few Phantasy Stars, where you're lost without a map.

Legend of Grimrock says otherwise.

Jmanghan
Shadow of Colossus certainly hasn't aged well. At least, the PS2 version hasn't.

And before anyone says "duh, PS2", God of War II STILL looks awesome to this day. Remember, that PS2 game was big news DURING the 360 era.

Lots of other games aged pretty gracefully, if not as. SoTC is still one of the greatest games of all-time, imo.

Its aged ok, not great.

But the experience is still a must-play.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
Legend of Grimrock says otherwise.

Indy games are another animal. wink

Hmm, LoG is available on Ipad...?

Ooch, 4.99. Well, more reasonable then FTL: Faster Then Light's 10 dollar price tag. Glad I got that one on a Steam sale.

cdtm
Mass Effect 1.

FinalAnswer
It aged better then Mass Effect 3 tbqh

-Pr-
Mass Effect 1.

With mods it's graphically fine for the most part. The shooting isn't great, but its serviceable. and it's still a cracker of an RPG imo.

BackFire
Graphically, pretty much any PS1 game looks like crap now.

cdtm
Kingdom Hearts. All of them.

Although they were shit from the start, but now they're borderline unplayable.

ares834

cdtm
After you've played Dark Souls, it really looks bad though.

I'm talking the classic PS2 version, in widescreen on an hdtv.

cdtm
Going to add: Zelda games.

This is probably heresy, but the Zelda formula was fun in the 80's and 90's. Original Zelda was great, Link to the Past was great, OOT was fantastic. By the time of Windwaker, it started getting old, and then Twilight Princess came along, and now..

Now, it's just not as much fun anymore. There's better ways to get an rpg fix, whether it's Elder Scrolls games or Dragon's Dogman, or Witcher, or Souls.. Zelda was great when it was unique, but it's simply been outdone a million times over by now and refused to change with the times. And now all it has going for it is nostalgia..

And I guess my appreciation for nostalgia's run out. I can't even get into old Mario or Punch-Out anymore, I want something new..

wakkawakkawakka

NemeBro
Yeah, AC1 became horribly outdated the moment the sequel dropped, which improved on the first game in essentially every way. Arkham Asylum hasn't aged well for me for the same reason. Arkham City just improved on what Asylum did in every way.

ares834
Going to add: Zelda games.

This is probably heresy, but the Zelda formula was fun in the 80's and 90's. Original Zelda was great, Link to the Past was great, OOT was fantastic. By the time of Windwaker, it started getting old, and then Twilight Princess came along, and now..

Now, it's just not as much fun anymore. There's better ways to get an rpg fix, whether it's Elder Scrolls games or Dragon's Dogman, or Witcher, or Souls.. Zelda was great when it was unique, but it's simply been outdone a million times over by now and refused to change with the times. And now all it has going for it is nostalgia..

And I guess my appreciation for nostalgia's run out. I can't even get into old Mario or Punch-Out anymore, I want something new..

https://m.popkey.co/dbee2d/bbxo_f-maxage-0.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.