Best version of superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CentaurSuperman
What are your thoughts on this

bluewaterrider
Kara Zor-El, who is not a man at all (being, in fact, a young woman), but is nonetheless a version of Superman, as portrayed by Melissa Benoist, on the 2015 CBS show Supergirl, up until perhaps the first 2 episodes of her CW run.

One_Angry_Scot
I've always really liked All-Star Superman.

Surtur
Superdick(yes I know, not an official version). If I had to choose a favorite version from movies or tv shows then I'd choose DCAU Superman.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Kara Zor-El, who is not a man at all (being, in fact, a young woman), but is nonetheless a version of Superman, as portrayed by Melissa Benoist, on the 2015 CBS show Supergirl, up until perhaps the first 2 episodes of her CW run.

How is Kara a version of Superman? TV Supergirl is a version of..Supergirl.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Surtur
How is Kara a version of Superman?
TV Supergirl is a version of..Supergirl.

Last survivor of Kypton.
Come to Earth in a rocket ship.
Raised by a kindly couple.
Gains extraordinary powers from the sun.
Uses said powers to help other people, secretly at first, then as a costumed hero. Works for a newspaper. Pal of Jimmy Olsen, who sometimes assists on adventures or when fighting aliens. After internship under a demanding boss, becomes a reporter, who clashes with Lexcorp, and tries to aid people through journalism as well as direct physical intervention. Visits a Kryptonian modeled technical haven called the Fortress of Solitude when answers concerning original home planet are sought. First hero to befriend Mon-El, a Daxamite who came to Earth in a Kryptonian styled ship. Works with Mon-el, Martian Manhunter, Arrow, The Guardian, The Flash, and other vigilante heroes when encountering problems too big for a lone Kryptonian to handle.

Trocity
Lol, what the f**k? Supergirl is Supergirl, not a version of Superman. Superman literally makes an appearance in the show. erm

-Pr-
Them copying his story for herself doesn't really qualify her as a version.

That's like saying Arrow is a version of Batman, imo.

Also, iirc she knew from the start that she wasn't the last survivor of Krypton. For starters at least.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by -Pr-
Them copying his story for herself doesn't really qualify her as a version.

That's like saying Arrow is a version of Batman, imo.

You'd disagree with those who call her a female version of Superman, then? Said view is quite common, or at least asserted to be, by many on the 'Net.

Originally posted by -Pr-

Also, iirc she knew from the start that she wasn't the last survivor of Krypton. For starters at least.

Here you might be right; I was taking that from the perspective that Kara was the last person to make it off the planet Krypton alive.

Technically, Superman can't be the last survivor of Krypton, either. Besides Kara, there are numerous Phantom Zone criminals from Krypton that survive to this day on that show.

Speaking of Krypton, if you consider that an essential part of the Superman Mythos, I'm genuinely curious as to whether you'd consider Red Son to be a version of Superman, and, if so, why.
Ditto for the Justice League 3000 Superman featured a year or so ago, though not quite to the same extent.

emporerpants
This is silly. Supergirl is her own character, to say she is simply a different version of Superman is a disservice. Are you trying to degrade her character here blue? Wouldn't you agree that she is a character that deserves her own identity besides "another version of Superman?"

Or is your goal here to degrade Superman by saying that the best version of him is someone who is a totally different character? By the way, I'd say the same thing if you said Gladiator was the best version of Superman.

Simply having the same powers and being from Krypton don't make her the same character. She is a family member of his and totally different character. She also isn't an alternate version of him from a different reality. She exists alongside him in his own reality. Doesn't she deserve to be recognized for that, as her own independent being?

I mean, I'm not even that big of a fan of hers, but I totally think she deserves to be recognized as separate entity in her own right. Kinda wondering why you don't Blue. I mean, isn't one of the themes of her show that you seem to like that she is breaking away from Superman's shadow and establishing her own identity as something separate from Superman, and not just his little cousin?

Also, from a logical standpoint, she obviously isn't the same person. To say otherwise is being purposely obtuse.

SquallX
Best ****ing Superman of all time.
v=aPB4-EW2Fck

That ending always kill me.

Galan007
All-Star Superman by a longshot.

...Then Kal Kent/S1M... Then Superman Prime 1M. I'd also throw in Allen Adam/Quantum Superman, and Ultraman if they count.

quanchi112
Is this a trick question ?

Sensui
Elliot S. Maggin's Miracle Monday & Last Son of Krypton.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Galan007
All-Star Superman by a longshot.

...Then Kal Kent/S1M... Then Superman Prime 1M. I'd also throw in Allen Adam/Quantum Superman, and Ultraman if they count.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Is this a trick question ?

http://s6d4.turboimg.net/t1/31022372_image.jpg

Surtur
She's not a female version of Superman. She is a female member of his same species. She's not Superman and unfortunately never will be.

That's not a knock on her, but the chick just doesn't inspire people like Superman does(I mean people within the comic universe).

Superman hasn't been the "last son" of Krypton for a long time, these f*ckers just keep popping up left and right. He's more likely the last male ever born on Krypton. Well wait I'm sure as the planet was exploding some women were giving birth, so the last surviving male born on Krypton. Be glad your mom banged your dad when she did Kal.

cdtm
Plutonian.

Mindship
Animated Series Superman
MOS Superman
Byrne Superman

Do clones count? If so, Blue Marvel.

Rao Kal El
All star superman
Superman movie I & II
Kingdom come Superman
Byrne Superman

Superman has always have to do the right thing, that is his concept, he strives to be a better MAN.

TethAdamTheRock
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-25yGicH2Cfg/TgjK_nY7OYI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/5ilFEUstr1w/s1600/funny%2Bsuperman.jpg

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by emporerpants

... is your goal here to degrade Superman by saying that the best version of him is someone who is a totally different character? By the way, I'd say the same thing if you said Gladiator was the best version of Superman.

Even after nearly 3 weeks, and 3 other people citing totally different characters, you have yet to offer anyone save me censure.

Ultraman? Plutonian? Blue Marvel?

Where is the outrage from you for them as choices of favorite versions of Superman? Or is the name of Gladiator alone the one that would earn your disapproval?

bluewaterrider

emporerpants
Blue, you are right, I also don't think Ultraman, Plutonian, or Blue Marvel should be considered. They are copies and not legit versions of the character Superman. So, imo, copies should not be considered in a discussion about the best version of Superman and I think it is insulting to the character to imply that the best version of him is a totally different character, no matter who that character might be. I kinda stopped paying attention to this thread after I made my point last time, so if you feel unfairly singled out, I apologize, that was not my intent.

bluewaterrider
I did feel and was, effectively, singled out until now, Emp, so I thank you for your last post. I'll probably address some of the other issues you brought up, but I want that stated as my starting point.

bluewaterrider
You actually brought up a lot of points I think worthy of discussion.
I'll simply respond to some of these in order to start. Somebody wants to engage me on any of these, well, that's part of what the forum's for:

1. I was not and am not being silly or obtuse. At best, you could say perhaps that I was using fallacy of equivocation if YOU had posted this thread and the topic question.

But, you did not. This topic was instead posted by a member with less than 10 messages currently to their credit and is presumably a young and new member, age 25 or less. In other words, part of a generation that thinks nothing if, say, Bruce Jenner is now called a woman and is referred to as "Caitlyn".

On the comic book front?
This is the era where "Thor" is now considered the proper title of Jane Foster, even while original "Odinson" Donald Blake is wielding Norse or Asgardian weapons and having superhero adventures saving people and fighting trolls.

Just like his former girlfriend.

Who now has his name.
Which people have heavily commented on the past year or so.
Which you're no doubt aware of.

The following linked commentary is quite typical of present Thor discussions:

http://fanbros.com/not-impressed-new-thor-and-captain-america/

bluewaterrider
I often read articles about comics, comics themselves, and sometimes, personality profiles of people who post about comics.

Often, though not always, helps me determine the poster's point of view.

The poster of this thread is interesting right off the bat, in relation to the discussion we've been having. He has the name Centaur-Superman.

Now, it's possible the original poster (OP) of this thread came up with the name on his own completely at random. Or took the name from some Silver Age story Ol' Blue had.

However, there is ALSO a story of fairly modern comic age called "Whom gods destroy" that he would have had a chance to select his name from.

Ever read that story or what it is about?

-----------------------------------
At one point during the conflict, Superman had been defeated and transformed into a centaur who debauched his way across the countryside accompanied by maenads (the female centaurs). At this point in the story, the heroes are staging the final raid against Ares' citadel, but to atone for his unwitting crimes against women, Superman must do so cast in the form of a teenage girl...
-----------------------------------

http://www.tgfa.org/comics/superman/superman.htm

Interesting, to say the least.

The story even reinforces the italicized bit and the theme of fluidity above at its climax:

http://s6d1.turboimg.net/t1/31935784_image.jpg http://s6d1.turboimg.net/t1/31935786_image.jpg

bluewaterrider
Supergirl is her own character, to say she is simply a different version of Superman is a disservice. Are you trying to degrade her character here blue? Wouldn't you agree that she is a character that deserves her own identity besides "another version of Superman?"

I haven't said Supergirl is simply a different version of Superman.
Yet she is a version of Superman.

I agree that she is a character that deserves her own identity besides "another version of Superman".
Still, she is a version of Superman, a female version of him, even as Blue Marvel is a black Marvel Comics version of Superman.

Perhaps using another "Black Superman" can illustrate?
Muhammad Ali was a boxer. Yet to say he was "simply" a boxer is a disservice I think you and most other people would recognize.
Ali was a character that deserved HIS own identity besides "another boxer".
But he was still a boxer.

That he was much MORE than that is not taken away with that admission.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDHi-vJCYs

bluewaterrider

is your goal here to degrade Superman by saying that the best version of him is someone who is a totally different character? By the way, I'd say the same thing if you said Gladiator was the best version of Superman.

Worthwhile to point out, even as an excuse to give a better version of the previous clip, calling someone "the best version of Superman" is not necessarily degrading to EITHER party ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ws0MnVlQn8g

-Pr-

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by bluewaterrider

Speaking of Krypton, if you consider that an essential part of the Superman Mythos, I'm genuinely curious as to whether you'd consider Red Son to be a version of Superman, and, if so, why...

Ever heard the term "synchronicity"?

Seems to be an amazing amount of it in this thread now, if I have the correct understanding of the definition of that term.

For you initially mentioned Supergirl's awareness of at least one other Kryptonian survivor as a disqualifier of her being a version of Superman, who knew of no others for years after he first arrived.
Then DC released a Supergirl who, fittingly, has NO awareness of Krypton and the status of any survivor save herself.
Just came out in the last 2 weeks, but you admitted you had no knowledge of it till now.

Appropriately, earlier in this thread, as demonstrated with the quote above, Red Son Superman was asked about by me, because his actual origin, not revealed till the latter part of his original series, contains conflicts with several elements generally thought essential definers of what makes Superman ...Superman.

Well. guess who just took center stage weeks after our initial discussion here whom I was unaware of till now?

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/01/06/this-just-happened-the-man-of-steel-goes-multiversal

A very TIMELY discussion we seem to be having now, then, if nothing else ...

http://s6d2.turboimg.net/t1/32069015_image.jpg

abhilegend
Yeah, Blue just hates Superman for some reason and fawns over Supergirl.

Not surprising to say in the least.

-Pr-
Stones in glass houses, Abhi.

NewGuy01
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--dLWO0xVi--/1365074993479999778.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.