Inigo Montoya (PB), Achilles (Troy), Aragorn (LotR) and Viper (GoT) vs Cap

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nibedicus
Captain America vs 4 uber skilled fighters.

R1: Cap gets no shield. Cloth uniform.

R2: Cap gets Wooden Viking shield, cloth uniform

R3: Cap gets standarg gear. No guns.

Standard gear for team. Fight in front of the Troy gates. Team is 20m in front of Cap at the start.

juggerman
Cap would likely clear but that first round is the only one I'm iffy on. Cap has the stats to pretty much one shot everyone but he's not stab proof so him without the shield is the only one I think he can lose.

Now if there was a round four where Cap has 6 fingers on his right hand, Montoya would curb him

John Murdoch
Cap probably loses Round 1, maybe 2 if he can't adapt to the durability, balance, weight, etc. of the wooden Viking shield in time to defend and then dismantle the team.

Round 3 is a win.

FrothByte
Achilles is the biggest threat. Not only does he seem like the fastest and strongest of the 4, he's also the only one with a shield to block Cap's hits. Cap can probably one shot Viper or Inigo but I don't see him taking out all 4 before he gets skewered quite a few times. He loses round 1.

Round 2 is a toss up.

Cap wins round 3.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by FrothByte
Achilles is the biggest threat. Not only does he seem like the fastest and strongest of the 4, he's also the only one with a shield to block Cap's hits. Cap can probably one shot Viper or Inigo but I don't see him taking out all 4 before he gets skewered quite a few times. He loses round 1.

Round 2 is a toss up.

Cap wins round 3.

Agreed here.

BruceSkywalker
Cap clears but round 1 is a tough one for him

TheVaultDweller
Cap would lose round 1 IMO. Aragorn's sword has an awful long reach (and he is no slouch in the strength/skill department either). And he also has someone like Achilles to deal with. The moment he tries to go after one of them, chances are the other one gives him a new air hole or two. And that's ignoring the other opponents also jumping into the fight.

Not sure about round 2. Don't know how well that viking shield would hold up against repeated impacts from the team's weapons.

He should take round 3 though. Having his own physics-defying shield, which he is very familiar with, gives him a big advantage, compared to the other rounds.

Nibedicus
One possible tactic would be for Cap in R1 is to use his far superior mobilty to play keepaway to split the team.

That is, if the team falls for it.

TheVaultDweller
I am not sure Aragorn and Achilles, in particular, would fall for that kind of tactic. They themselves are both extremely experienced at fighting groups of opponents at once.

Nibedicus
Achilles might. The guy was brash and too much into personal glory. Even left his men to fight solo during the beach battle.

FrothByte
Yeah but Achilles himself is quite fast and mobile. Maybe not quite at Cap's level but having 3 other opponents to dodge should make it easy for Achilles to keep up with Cap.

Nibedicus
Achilles' speed and brashness would actually work to Cap's advantage.

Being the fastest, he would no doubt get way ahead of the group to chase Cap down. Allowing Steve to engage him solo for a short time.

If I know my anime, I remember an episode in Rouruni Kenshin where he explained it was a common tactic for fast Samurais when engaging large groups to run ahead and allow himself to get chased to separate the faster from the slower of the group. Whoever catches up is then slashed. Run away. Rinse. Repeat.

A valid tactic but it would depend on how fast Steve could take down Achilles given the shield and reach advatage.

If he does take down Achilles in time, it'll net him a shield which might be enough to take down the rest of the group.

Now how often he resorts to this tactic (if at all) and how succesful it'll be might be an issue, admittedly. So not gonna argue this as a likely scenario.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Achilles' speed and brashness would actually work to Cap's advantage.

Being the fastest, he would no doubt get way ahead of the group to chase Cap down. Allowing Steve to engage him solo for a short time.

If I know my anime, I remember an episode in Rouruni Kenshin where he explained it was a common tactic for fast Samurais when engaging large groups to run ahead and allow himself to get chased to separate the faster from the slower of the group. Whoever catches up is then slashed. Run away. Rinse. Repeat.

A valid tactic but it would depend on how fast Steve could take down Achilles given the shield and reach advatage.

If he does take down Achilles in time, it'll net him a shield which might be enough to take down the rest of the group.

Now how often he resorts to this tactic (if at all) and how succesful it'll be might be an issue, admittedly. So not gonna argue this as a likely scenario.

To be honest, I don't really see an unarmed Cap easily taking a fully armed Achilles. If Cap tries to rush it then he'll get cut up. And the arena isn't so huge that it will take more than a just a second ot two for the others to join the fray.And unarmed Cap isn't taking out a fully armed Achilles in just a few seconds.

Nibedicus
To be honest, I don't really see an unarmed Cap easily taking a fully armed Achilles. If Cap tries to rush it then he'll get cut up. And the arena isn't so huge that it will take more than a just a second ot two for the others to join the fray.And unarmed Cap isn't taking out a fully armed Achilles in just a few seconds.

That would indeed be the determining factor of the fight.

Depends on how far and how long Cap takes the run. If he decides to play keepaway for quite a bit of time, he might end up getting more than a few seconds. Not to mention gas out some of the less superhuman fighters (Don't remember Inigo or Oberyn being too good in their cardio. Aragorn is a cardio muthafukin beast tho.). In which case, if it takes too long, he can leave Achilles behind and play keepaway again, frustrating Achilles. Or he can break away from Achilles and take down some of the weaker fighters like Oberyn or Inigo.

The tactical advantage of mobility vs melee combatants cant really be ignored.

FrothByte
That would indeed be the determining factor of the fight.

Depends on how far and how long Cap takes the run. If he decides to play keepaway for quite a bit of time, he might end up getting more than a few seconds. Not to mention gas out some of the less superhuman fighters (Don't remember Inigo or Oberyn being too good in their cardio. Aragorn is a cardio muthafukin beast tho.). In which case, if it takes too long, he can leave Achilles behind and play keepaway again, frustrating Achilles. Or he can break away from Achilles and take down some of the weaker fighters like Oberyn or Inigo.

The tactical advantage of mobility vs melee combatants cant really be ignored.

Hmm... I have to admit that might work. I guess I just can't see Cap pulling a Mayweather in a fight. Still, it's a viable option. Still not a guaranteed win, since he can't block or tank hits from the swords and will need to make sure he doesn't make any mistakes, but at least it will give him a chance.

KingD19
We see Cap easily fending off Bucky's knife and T'Challa's claws. He knows how to not get hit with blades, and that's fighting people with similar enhanced powers.

TheVaultDweller

TheVaultDweller
Also, I would hardly say he was doing it "easily". He was definitely exerting himself against those two. Had to double-post, basically, because the edit function is being weird for me right now.

KingD19
When I say "easily" I mean he does it with efficiency and doesn't get cut once. And this is against people who are similarly enhanced. Aragorn is not a slouch in combat, but he's not Winter Soldier, even with a longer weapon. The closest thing in the Fellowship to Cap and Friends is Hobbit era Legolas.

TheVaultDweller
He wasn't fighting Black Panther and Winter Soldier at the same time, though. He is fighting 4 opponents at once here, all with weapons that have a greater reach than knives/claws (and they all definitely know how to use them properly). If he had to take them on one at a time, gauntlet style, then it'd be a different story, IMO.

FrothByte
Originally posted by KingD19
When I say "easily" I mean he does it with efficiency and doesn't get cut once. And this is against people who are similarly enhanced. Aragorn is not a slouch in combat, but he's not Winter Soldier, even with a longer weapon. The closest thing in the Fellowship to Cap and Friends is Hobbit era Legolas.

Not true, we do see Cap get cut with WS's knife, and when he fought BP he had his shield. Plus he fought them one on one. In round 1 he'll be without his shield, fighting 4 opponents at the same time, all using weapons far longer than a knife or claws. Plus strength doesn't matter as much with bladed weapons since you need very little strength to puncture and cut skin.

Nibedicus
Hmm... I have to admit that might work. I guess I just can't see Cap pulling a Mayweather in a fight. Still, it's a viable option. Still not a guaranteed win, since he can't block or tank hits from the swords and will need to make sure he doesn't make any mistakes, but at least it will give him a chance.

Playing a Mayweather would make sense, tho. He is fighting 4 armed opponents. Cap is not above using cover vs guns so I don't see him above using superior mobility when faced with multiple armed opponents. Splitting them up to take em on 1-on-1 makes enormous sense tactically (and may well be the only "smart" action he can take here).

Nibedicus
To add, Cap did manage to fight Loki pretty effectively even tho Loki had superior reach with his staff. Cap got hit because Loki tanked his punches like nothing and Cap got hit on the counterattack.

I see Cap vs Aragorn going like this, with Cap evading the first swing and attacking inside Aragorn's range. This time, tho, Cap's punch would crack/break Aragorn's ribs.

FrothByte
To add, Cap did manage to fight Loki pretty effectively even tho Loki had superior reach with his staff. Cap got hit because Loki tanked his punches like nothing and Cap got hit on the counterattack.

I see Cap vs Aragorn going like this, with Cap evading the first swing and attacking inside Aragorn's range. This time, tho, Cap's punch would crack/break Aragorn's ribs.

To be fair, Cap only lasted that long with Loki because he had his shield.

TheVaultDweller
And Loki's plan was to get captured, to get on board the helicarrier.

Nibedicus
To be fair, Cap only lasted that long with Loki because he had his shield.

Well, technically, he didn't last at all. stick out tongue

He did throw his shield at Loki. Which Loki deflected. Cap then enganged him shieldless, evading 2 swings, attacked inside the range then got tagged (cuz Loki literally ignored Cap's punch). Loki then had him dead to rights had he not gone "kneel".

Edit. My point was that Cap does have the on-screen showings needed to prove that he has the combat acumen to evade longer reach melee weapons and to attack inside his opponent's range.

FrothByte
Well, technically, he didn't last at all. stick out tongue

He did throw his shield at Loki. Which Loki deflected. Cap then enganged him shieldless, evading 2 swings, attacked inside the range then got tagged (cuz Loki literally ignored Cap's punch). Loki then had him dead to rights had he not gone "kneel".

Edit. My point was that Cap does have the on-screen showings needed to prove that he has the combat acumen to evade longer reach melee weapons and to attack inside his opponent's range.

Well Loki is definitely no slouch, but I wouldn't consider his weapon handling skills anywhere near as fast as Achilles or Inigo. So I don't believe him evading Loki's staff is proof that he can evade Inigo and especially Achilles.

Nibedicus
Well Loki is definitely no slouch, but I wouldn't consider his weapon handling skills anywhere near as fast as Achilles or Inigo. So I don't believe him evading Loki's staff is proof that he can evade Inigo and especially Achilles.

A staff is def slower than a rapier or a Xiphos.

Point was based on skillset and knowhow. Having the agility and speed are another thing.

While his Loki battle might not definitively prove him being able to dodge attacks from Achilles or Inigo (tho it makes a much better vs Oberyn and Aragorn). Even granted that Loki's nonchalant non-look arrow catch puts his personal agility quite up there. We can simoly dip into Cap's other agility showings to see if other "feats" would support the case of him being able to circumvent their weapons.

We basically have some data that he has the skills and sense to avoid swords and spears as well as being able to fight against such weapons effectively. The question then lies on if he has other showings that puts his agility firmly above theirs.

Gimme a bit to dip into my Cap agility showings to see if I can find something.

wallman77
He def loses 1. Achilles with aragorn are bad enough. Two more playing distractions? All Achilles needs is one opening and he will definitely capitalize on it. Aragorn can get him that open.

Jmanghan
The team stomps. :/ Inigo Montoya being the least skilled fighter here.

The Viper isn't the most skilled fighter in GoT.

However, Achilles and Aragorn are both Superhuman, and would destroy Cap on their own.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.