TFA vs Rogue One

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beniboybling
All-out, who wins.

Sinious
R1 = Meh
TFA = F'ing infamy

The_Tempest
R1 was significantly better.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
^

cs_zoltan
Reported for mismatch.

Kurk
Rogue One stomps

Beniboybling
I preferred TFA. smile

UCanShootMyNova
R1 stomps in blitzkrieg. Right Bart?

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I preferred TFA. smile

Didn't expect anything else from a phag whose favourite "character" is assoka.

RHaggis
Rogue One was more entertaining, imo.

Nephthys
They do different things better. I preferred the characters of TFA and Kylo Ren was a better villain than R1's. Han's death and the lightsaber fight in the snow were also stellar moments, as was the Falcon fight and Poe's "One hell of a pilot!" moment. The start of the film also may be the best of any SW movie. There were weak moments, like on Han's cargo ship and the egregious "how are we seeing these planets explode?" shite, the final ship battle was also forgettable. Phasma wasn't handled well at all.

R1 had cool characters that were more entertaining as concepts than anything deeper, but they were strong enough that I'm legitimately bummed we can't see more of them. All the fight scenes were great. The Vader scene was spectacular. The start of the movie was rough and the Saw scenes weren't that great, though hardly bad or anything. However, it may have the greatest climax of any of the films. The finale was absolutely amazing and left me literally shaking as I left the theater.

Total Warrior
R1 stomps easily. It's better in litterally everything and i already look forward to watching it again asap, while i couldn't care less about TFA. Not that TFA is a bad movie, if i could give it a mark i would say 6,5/10, but R1 is a solid 8, 8,5.

Solar Power
TFA stuck with me more, but I honestly won't be rewatching either anytime soon. CGI Tarkin was pretty good imo.

nfactor1995
I liked Rogue One better and felt it was a better addition the new canon

Beniboybling
Here's a good article, I agree on most points:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/12/20/star-wars-rogue-one-vs-the-force-awakens-which-is-better/#6266b16e5bc7

DarthAnt66
TFA.

Darth Thor
TFA was trying too hard to be Star Wars.

R1 on the other hand gave just as much Nostalgia to the OT, while actually giving us a new story, new worlds, new ships, and breaking new ground with special effects as SW always has.

R1 also didn't feel the need to force in a Lightsaber duel just for the sake of it. But most of all R1 had balls, something TFA severely lacked.

There's No contest here IMHO. R1 stomps.

carthage
The Force Awakens

NewGuy01
Rogue One, but both had their ups and downs.

TheNuisanceBird
Rogue One. You'd have tic be pretty retarded to not make a movie better than TFA.

cs_zoltan
Here's a good article, I agree on most points:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/12/20/star-wars-rogue-one-vs-the-force-awakens-which-is-better/#6266b16e5bc7

That article (and with it, you) lost all credibility when it said Rey is a good character. Go die in your own vomit you miserbale f-uck.

Beniboybling
Happy new year to u too. smile

NewGuy01
https://youtu.be/YBLcxXR1PMw?t=27

SunRazer
Originally posted by NewGuy01
https://youtu.be/YBLcxXR1PMw?t=27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3oSAVwcD4U

NewGuy01
Originally posted by SunRazer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3oSAVwcD4U

https://youtu.be/4ESOrF_u1hg?t=121

SunRazer
https://youtu.be/4ESOrF_u1hg?t=121

https://youtu.be/4ESOrF_u1hg?t=255

NewGuy01
https://youtu.be/4ESOrF_u1hg?t=255

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8MZgZmeT4

SunRazer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn8MZgZmeT4

https://youtu.be/DZ1YNlSCBSA?t=108

NewGuy01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcEHOrhJmQ

|King Joker|
I liked TFA more. I totally understand why some people hate it because of its lack of originality, but honestly, I don't really care about that. I thought it was a very fun movie that entertained me throughout, I liked most of the characters, and it just settled with me better. Plus, it just felt like true Star Wars.

That's not to say Rogue One didn't entertain me, or that I didn't like most of the characters, etc. -- but comparatively, it just didn't really stack up.

I'd give TFA a 9/10 and Rogue One an 8/10, tbh.

Beniboybling
Yeah, despite the lack of originality I still feel TFA had a better acted, more entertaining and more depth filled cast, hit more emotional highs and had a solidly engaging story arc throughout; whereas the first act of Rogue One was, to put it bluntly, kinda dull, the dialogue was a little clunky in some places, the characters less developed and the humour simply wasn't quite as well pulled off. It was still a great movie but TFA simply the better produced product, as you'd expect.

Azronger
Rogue One stomps.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Azronger
Rogue One stomps.

SunRazer
TFA was good, but R1 was better. Much better.

DarthDuelist9
The Force Awakens wins it for me, they're also difficult to compare since that both movies have a different purpose. Rogue One was this story they could put forward which needed to explain events and they already much of the setting through A New Hope (and by extent the Sequel Trilogy). The Force Awakens on the other hand needed to set up a (almost) completely new story which could be interesting and complex enough to make a trilogy out of it while also setting up characters that have more depth than the counterparts in R1.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
The Force Awakens on the other hand needed to set up a (almost) completely new story which could be interesting and complex enough to make a trilogy out of it while also setting up characters that have more depth than the counterparts in R1.

And they failed miserably. The story is a blatant ripoff of ANH and the characters suck. Kylo is daddy issues #237856t18725, and Rey is the worst shit that happened to Star Wars. Yeah, worse than Jar Jar.

Beniboybling
Lmao, anyone have real reasons for voting R1? smile

Selenial
Yes, 60% of the voters smile

Beniboybling
uhuh

Emperordmb
Lmao, anyone have real reasons for voting R1? smile
Honestly, while I found the lack of originality of TFA disappointing, I did legitimately enjoy TFA.

That being said, Rogue One does rank higher for me. Between it's plot originality, it's more fast paced nature, and the fact that I'm actually set up to be emotionally invested in the Rebels (unlike the new Republic, where the only reason I gave a shit about the destruction of the Hosnian system was Harrison Ford's sad face and John William's sad music), it was just more exciting for me to watch, not to mention it feels more like a war with the grittier combat scenes, and HOLY SHIT the space battle.

I also enjoyed how Rogue One was less morally black and white with even some of the good guys making hard calls and doing morally dubious things, whereas the most morally dubious shit in TFA from a good guy was "should I help out or run away from the fight."

I also preferred the villains of Rogue One, don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed Kylo Ren as a character, and thought Hux's passion driven extremist speech was a good choice for the character, but we know next to nothing about Snoke, Phasma was absolute shit, and Hux was relatively undeveloped, whereas Rogue One did an excellent job portraying the Empire and Krennic and Tarkin. Not to mention that the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin was actually something real with conflict over who gets credit for the Death Star, threats, passive aggressive compliments, and Tarkin knowingly ordering Krennic's death at the end, which definitely trumps the nasty looks Kylo and Hux shot each other during their conversations with Snoke. And again, even though I actually like Kylo and his character development... he just can't compare with the OG. Sure Vader wasn't in Rogue One that much, but both of his scenes were perfect.

And lastly, Rogue One just does a better job building off of the lore. It expands upon the origins of the Death Star, the Rebel alliance, the Empire, Darth Vader, the retrieval of the Death Star plans, does a lot of world building, and just ties up a lot of loose ends and connects and fits into the existing canon lore almost perfectly (aside from the Leia/Vader convo which is a little shaky). TFA on the other hand, while it does do some world building and sets up for a new trilogy, it honestly doesn't do the best job building off of what before it, instead of building off of a Galaxy freed from tyranny, it's resetting the plot to the ANH Empire/First Order vs Rebels/Resistance oppressor underdog dynamic, with the most building off of the ROTJ victory being the New Republic, which we got to spend zero time with before its destruction. On top of this, again while I enjoyed the movie, Luke running away makes zero sense given the way ROTJ set up his character arc.

Kurk
thumb up

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Emperordmb

I also enjoyed how Rogue One was less morally black and white with even some of the good guys making hard calls and doing morally dubious things, whereas the most morally dubious shit in TFA from a good guy was "should I help out or run away from the fight."

This was one of the big reasons I like RO, maybe I missed some EU stories but holy hell it bothered the crap out of me that the Rebellion was always 100% in the right with what they were doing, that they never did anything that was morally wrong.

Yeah...I know it's fiction, that was one of the things, despite me having the RA in my Top 3 factions that bothered me to no end, cause there was no way that they were always right, that's just completely unrealistic even by fiction standards with the way the SWU is set up.

Total Warrior
I 100% agree with What dmb said.

Darth Thor
Lmao Anyone seen S20 of South Park? It's a good study into how JJ Abrams screwing up TFA lead to Trump getting elected.

Freedon Nadd
Both suck.

red8
Rogue One by a long shot.
I loved pretty much everything about the movie.

My only complaints are:

- minimal dialogue
- minimal character development
- Jyn not being as rebellious as advertised

But considering the fast pace of the movie and the ending, it made perfect sense not to invest too much into these areas.

That being said, I would not want to see the main episodic movies being made similar to Rogue One. Official episode movies need more depth and more character development.

I rated TFA 7 - 7.5 / 10.
I rated Rogue One 9 - 10/ 10.

Rockydonovang
both suck

|King Joker|
Honestly, while I found the lack of originality of TFA disappointing, I did legitimately enjoy TFA.

That being said, Rogue One does rank higher for me. Between it's plot originality, it's more fast paced nature, and the fact that I'm actually set up to be emotionally invested in the Rebels (unlike the new Republic, where the only reason I gave a shit about the destruction of the Hosnian system was Harrison Ford's sad face and John William's sad music), it was just more exciting for me to watch, not to mention it feels more like a war with the grittier combat scenes, and HOLY SHIT the space battle.

I also preferred the villains of Rogue One, don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed Kylo Ren as a character, and thought Hux's passion driven extremist speech was a good choice for the character, but we know next to nothing about Snoke, Phasma was absolute shit, and Hux was relatively undeveloped, whereas Rogue One did an excellent job portraying the Empire and Krennic and Tarkin. Not to mention that the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin was actually something real with conflict over who gets credit for the Death Star, threats, passive aggressive compliments, and Tarkin knowingly ordering Krennic's death at the end, which definitely trumps the nasty looks Kylo and Hux shot each other during their conversations with Snoke. And again, even though I actually like Kylo and his character development... he just can't compare with the OG. Sure Vader wasn't in Rogue One that much, but both of his scenes were perfect.

And lastly, Rogue One just does a better job building off of the lore. It expands upon the origins of the Death Star, the Rebel alliance, the Empire, Darth Vader, the retrieval of the Death Star plans, does a lot of world building, and just ties up a lot of loose ends and connects and fits into the existing canon lore almost perfectly (aside from the Leia/Vader convo which is a little shaky). TFA on the other hand, while it does do some world building and sets up for a new trilogy, it honestly doesn't do the best job building off of what before it, instead of building off of a Galaxy freed from tyranny, it's resetting the plot to the ANH Empire/First Order vs Rebels/Resistance oppressor underdog dynamic, with the most building off of the ROTJ victory being the New Republic, which we got to spend zero time with before its destruction. On top of this, again while I enjoyed the movie, Luke running away makes zero sense given the way ROTJ set up his character arc. Ngl you might've changed my mind. :mmm:

Darth Thor

Ugh I just rewatched TFA last night and found some enjoyment in it.

It's basically Finn that makes that film enjoyable (on top of Han Solo of course).

If you just turn a blind eye to the way it rehash's ANH, then that helps too.

Nephthys
Literally who cares about that.

Beniboybling
Butt hurt people like Thor. smile

The_Tempest
Lot of people criticize TFA for being unoriginal, including people who like it.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Nephthys

I agree. TFA is shit by its own merits, plagiarising ANH is just the last straw.

Darth Thor

Butt hurt people like Thor. smile

"The Resistance" facepalm

Rebel95
They're both good in different ways.

I liked TFA because of the new characters, planets, and special effects. I wasn't a huge fan of the plot, and I thought it was really stupid how Rey beat Kylo Ren.

I liked Rogue One because it showed us the Star Wars universe like we've never seen it before, the space battle was epic, the ground battle was also epic, and the scenes with Vader were awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of the new characters however, and the first hour of the movie was a little slow.

Overall I'd say Rogue One was the better movie. I expect episode VIII will be really good; all of the same new characters (plus more), more planets, great special effects, and hopefully a better story than TFA.

Darth Thor
^ Rian Johnson is a great director as well. And can't wait to see Luke. Only problem I'm going to have going into Ep.8 is the whole set up Abrams did. They can't not make it like the OT now because that's the set up Abrams gave us.

Beniboybling
I hope it has AT-ATs and Luke is revealed to be Rey's father.

Freedon Nadd
Luke is for certain Rey's father.

Rebel95
I read somewhere that Rey is supposed to be a reincarnation of Anakin, and that the chosen one is reincarnated everytime the force is thrown out of balance. I really hope that's not what they're doing though.

Darth Thor
I hope it has AT-ATs

Shut up Beni...

I hope it has AT-ATs and Luke is revealed to be Rey's father.

Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Luke is for certain Rey's father.

I'm more and more certain this was pretty much revealed in the film. So unless Rian and Colin purposely change Abrams original intention due to the hype around the question of who Rey is, it should be Luke.

Beniboybling
you like AT-ATs in rogue one but not Ep VIII? smh

cs_zoltan
Rey is probably Assoka's daughter considering they are both disgusting Mary Sues.

Darth Thor

I like them not using and doing the same things over and over. Especially after TFA.

Seems you've forgotten the days when Star Wars used to actually surprise us.

Zenwolf

Those were AT-ACT, not AT-ATs.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I like them not using and doing the same things over and over. Especially after TFA.

Seems you've forgotten the days when Star Wars used to actually surprise us. wow such double standard, Rogue one was full of stuff from the OT yet no complaints? They even had cgi tarkin, what a rip off. I hope we get cgi Lando in VIII.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Those were AT-ACT, not AT-ATs. same difference uhuh

cs_zoltan
Beni's been triggered.

Beniboybling
i am a reasonable man, but Thor is testing my patience.

Petrus
TFA had good moments, but Rogue One is vastly superior, imho.

Petrus

I'm more and more certain this was pretty much revealed in the film. So unless Rian and Colin purposely change Abrams original intention due to the hype around the question of who Rey is, it should be Luke.

It's Palpatine. smile smile

Darth Thor
wow such double standard, Rogue one was full of stuff from the OT yet no complaints? They even had cgi tarkin, what a rip off. I hope we get cgi Lando in VIII.

Think really hard about this and if you still don't get it then I'll explain the difference to you.

Beniboybling
There is nothing you can explain to me. sad

Nephthys
Episode VIII isn't going to work unless we get Rey Palpatine IMHO.

darthbane77
I liked TFA better, but not by a whole lot.

Darth Thor
There is nothing you can explain to me. sad

Pretty arrogant thinking I can't explain anything to you about my preferences.

I'm not against nostalgia, but I'm used to Star Wars giving us something new and original with every film. TFA was the first SW film to revamp an old SW plot and sell it as a sequel, which didn't even make sense. I mean Resistance instead of Rebellion? First Order instead of the Empire? It's retarded. This is supposed to be a sequel to the OT, and yet somehow the Galaxy's just gone back to the same situation they were in the OT..

On top of that it's supposed to be 30 years later, and yet everyone's still using the same spaceships. Star Destroyer's, X-Wing's and Tie Fighters. But hey no Death Star right? Oh wait..

Now did R1 just copy a previous SW film? Nope. Is R1 giving us the same political situation and vehicles? Well.. Yeah... But it makes sense coming right before ANH. But heck they still managed to give us U-Wings and Death Troopers at least.

R1 is a Great example of how you can give us something new and different but still puts lots of nostalgia around it. TFA is a great example of a film just desperately clinging to nostalgia. It was the Superman Returns of SW films.

Heck Lucas himself called TFA a very Retro movie, but really liked R1. There's nothing hypocritical there. It's a perfectly valid criticism of TFA, that doesn't wholly apply to R1.

And FYI AT-AT's make sense for a ground assault in the OT time period. Plus we hadn't seen them on screen in a good long while. But I don't want Episode 8 now to just be a copy of ESB. And I'd definitely prefer they come up with some new vehicles (30 years on).

Episode VIII isn't going to work unless we get Rey Palpatine IMHO.

Personally not buying into any of these Grandparent theories, because I think they need to go into who her parents are, not grandparents.

She's most likely a Skywalker.

Beniboybling
Pretty arrogant thinking I can't explain anything to you about my preferences.

I'm not against nostalgia, but I'm used to Star Wars giving us something new and original with every film. TFA was the first SW film to revamp an old SW plot and sell it as a sequel, which didn't even make sense. I mean Resistance instead of Rebellion? First Order instead of the Empire? It's retarded. This is supposed to be a sequel to the OT, and yet somehow the Galaxy's just gone back to the same situation they were in the OT..

On top of that it's supposed to be 30 years later, and yet everyone's still using the same spaceships. Star Destroyer's, X-Wing's and Tie Fighters. But hey no Death Star right? Oh wait..

Now did R1 just copy a previous SW film? Nope. Is R1 giving us the same political situation and vehicles? Well.. Yeah... But it makes sense coming right before ANH. But heck they still managed to give us U-Wings and Death Troopers at least.

R1 is a Great example of how you can give us something new and different but still puts lots of nostalgia around it. TFA is a great example of a film just desperately clinging to nostalgia. It was the Superman Returns of SW films.

Heck Lucas himself called TFA a very Retro movie, but really liked R1. There's nothing hypocritical there. It's a perfectly valid criticism of TFA, that doesn't wholly apply to R1.

And FYI AT-AT's make sense for a ground assault in the OT time period. Plus we hadn't seen them on screen in a good long while. But I don't want Episode 8 now to just be a copy of ESB. And I'd definitely prefer they come up with some new vehicles (30 years on). Is this a bad time to say I was trolling?

Darth Thor
Is this a bad time to say I was trolling?

You little ....

Beniboybling
http://i.imgur.com/4DW8ATv.png

quanchi112
TFA and it isn't even close.

Petrus
Lmfao.

S W LeGenD
TFA was clearly the far superior movie. Really do not understand why so many people have R1 ahead of it.

Kurk
Originally posted by S W LeGenD
TFA was clearly the far superior movie. Really do not understand why so many people have R1 ahead of it. Because TFA was pushing a liberal agenda and was the farthest thing from original plot.

NewGuy01
Because TFA was an ANH copy-paste taking place in a less interesting time period with a less interesting protagonist than Rogue One.

Emperordmb

And lastly, Rogue One just does a better job building off of the lore. It expands upon the origins of the Death Star, the Rebel alliance, the Empire, Darth Vader, the retrieval of the Death Star plans, does a lot of world building, and just ties up a lot of loose ends and connects and fits into the existing canon lore almost perfectly (aside from the Leia/Vader convo which is a little shaky). TFA on the other hand, while it does do some world building and sets up for a new trilogy, it honestly doesn't do the best job building off of what before it, instead of building off of a Galaxy freed from tyranny, it's resetting the plot to the ANH Empire/First Order vs Rebels/Resistance oppressor underdog dynamic, with the most building off of the ROTJ victory being the New Republic, which we got to spend zero time with before its destruction. On top of this, again while I enjoyed the movie, Luke running away makes zero sense given the way ROTJ set up his character arc.

Sinious
Not sure which one was more devastating: the cancer I got from reading through some of the posts in this thread or the AIDS I got from Neph's "Rey Palpatine"

I just hope Beni dies.

MythLord
TFA will always be better. smile

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Sinious
I just hope Beni dies. Originally posted by Beniboybling
http://i.imgur.com/4DW8ATv.png

Beniboybling
Originally posted by MythLord
TFA will always be better. smile Prolly yeah.

Darth Thor
Because TFA was an ANH copy-paste taking place in a less interesting time period with a less interesting protagonist than Rogue One.

This. Except I'd say the time period is only less interesting because they made it less interesting.

Sinious
I can't even see that broken image Beni. Were you trying to give me a third lethal disease on top of the ones I got from your thread?

Beniboybling
The image is fine, you are the broken one here. uhuh

cs_zoltan
R1 is good, TFA is the worst SW movie so far.

So yeah...

SunRazer
Rey Palpatine? **** off, lol.

That's on par with Snoke being Tarkin, Vader or Mace Windu.

Sinious
Rey Palpatine disturbs me on a very personal level. I don't even want to articulate anything about it even if it is to mock the concept. I mean, honestly, just establish him as the GOAT and then leave the character alone. Disney acting like Palpatine never existed beyond that much exposure would be the ideal scenario at this point.

The image is fine, you are the broken one here. uhuh That's just mean. I even tried it with a different browser. sad

SunRazer
I'm more disturbed the evidence they have for her being a Palpatine. She does stabbing moves like him. She has a similar accent. She's tempted by the dark side.

My mind is blown, and not in the right way.

Sinious
Kill me pls.

Total Warrior
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
R1 is good, TFA is the worst SW movie so far.

So yeah... now, let's not exagerate. It was still better than TPM

SunRazer
One thing's for sure: ANH > TFA.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Total Warrior
now, let's not exagerate. It was still better than TPM

Nah, TPM at least had the Duel of Fates. TFA had nothing.

SunRazer
It had that helicopter shot to end the movie.

****ing shit. Which scummy ****er decided that would be a good idea?

NewGuy01
Would have been better if it ended with Rey in space flying to dagobahAhch-To, and then maybe given Luke a solo close up clip.

Sinious
https://i.stack.imgur.com/bznz4.jpg
How many times do I have to post this you ****ing retards?

Beniboybling
As many times as you need Sinny, you'll get through this.

carthage
TFA needs more outdated CGI, political dialogue, a horrible child actor, every actor sounding dry and emotionless, and Gungans if it wants to compete with the masterpieces that are TPM and AOTC.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Nah, TPM at least had the Duel of Fates. TFA had nothing.

This.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by carthage
TFA needs more outdated CGI,

What a dumb criticism saying an 18 year old movie has outdated effects.

carthage
Its a dumb criticism when it hinders enjoyment of the film because it looks like shit?

You're a dumbass, lol

Darth Thor
Its a dumb criticism when it hinders enjoyment of the film because it looks like shit?

You're a dumbass, lol

It's an 18 year old movie you dummy, and you're complaining it looks outdated.

Hey guess what? ANH has outdated practical effects. Clearly that means ANH is shit laughing out loud

Beniboybling
ANH aged better than TPM. Because it used practical effects. smile

nfactor1995
Rogue One is better IMO. I liked TFA as a standalone, but I don't particularly like the direction it is taking Star Wars.

SunRazer
TFA needs more outdated CGI, political dialogue, a horrible child actor, every actor sounding dry and emotionless, and Gungans if it wants to compete with the masterpieces that are TPM and AOTC.

Indeed it lacks those, but makes up for it with a recycled script from ANH, a clearly PC cast, sacrifice of OT characters in clear favour of said PC cast, a shallow Palpatine-esque villain, a shallow Death Star ripoff, a comparatively lackluster score, the destruction of the New Republic government being glossed over in a couple of seconds, Rey being far more of a Mary Sue than Anakin or Luke ever were, and a helicopter shot to end the movie. And the setting was very poorly established, IMO, moreso than TPM.

|King Joker|
Lmfao @ people losing enjoyment because the leads are a women and a black guy. It's called representation, and the fact that it bothers you is beyond me. I barely noticed.

SunRazer
For what it's worth, they didn't completely abandon practical effects in TPM like they did in AotC and RotS. There are some scenes that look real in TPM. TPM had plenty of shitty, goofy moments and the Gungans were a ****-up, but at least it attempted to be original. That's a huge, huge step-up from the HD, 3D re-release of ANH.

Geistalt
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Lmfao @ people losing enjoyment because the leads are a women and a black guy.

If they make Finn queer, they're pushing an agenda tho

SunRazer
Lmfao @ people losing enjoyment because the leads are a women and a black guy. It's called representation, and the fact that it bothers you is beyond me. I barely noticed.

I don't have problems with representation, and I support most of the left-leaning movements these days. I don't mind that the lead's a famel or black, just that they could've been less conspicuous about their leanings towards the PC movement. And maybe on it's own it wouldn't be noticeable, but it was definitely noticeable once they began to sacrifice the OT characters in favour of them. Leia going straight to hug Rey and ignoring Chewie after Han's death is what I'm talking about.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Geistalt
If they make Finn queer, they're pushing an agenda tho They won't, hence the introduction of the Asian chick. They're trying to extinguish the FinnPoe shipping.

Anyways, I think someone confirmed that there will be a gay character in TLJ, really looking forward to the bitching if that turns out to be true. smile

SunRazer
They won't, hence the introduction of the Asian chick. They're trying to extinguish the FinnPoe shipping.

Anyways, I think someone confirmed that there will be a gay character in TLJ, really looking forward to the bitching if that turns out to be true. smile

Nah, on it's own it might be a pile-on of PCness but it won't detract from the film itself. Maybe if they make Leia go straight to hugging him and ignore Luke then it'll be a problem. thumb up

|King Joker|
I don't have problems with representation, and I support most of the left-leaning movements these days. I don't mind that the lead's a famel or black, just that they could've been less conspicuous about their leanings towards the PC movement. And maybe on it's own it wouldn't be noticeable, but it was definitely noticeable once they began to sacrifice the OT characters in favour of them. Leia going straight to hug Rey and ignoring Chewie after Han's death is what I'm talking about. Less conspicuous how? And they announced even before castings I believe that the sequel trilogy was going to focus more on the new characters and not the OT characters, since the ST is supposed to be "passing the torch". I'm 99% sure it had nothing to do with a liberal PC agenda. Also, IIRC, Leia hugging Rey was a mistake and Leia was actually supposed to hug Chewie, but I might be wrong on that.

SunRazer
As I said, Leia hugging Rey and ignoring Chewie is my main gripe. Just having newer characters and focusing on them is natural.

And maybe having a genuinely diverse cast instead of just a PC-favoured cast would help. They did have Poe, I guess. As I said, not too big of a gripe, but the Leia scene definitely stood out and costs the film some points. Sure it was a mistake, but that doesn't excuse it. That's simply going to be an unfavourable part of the comparison against TPM.

Geistalt
Actually, y'know what? I'd find it hilarious.

Just to illustrate what's wrong with that:

*lets black guy play a main character*

*makes him play a homosexual*

Geistalt
Actually, it's a double standard if he's straight.

|King Joker|
As I said, Leia hugging Rey and ignoring Chewie is my main gripe. Just having newer characters and focusing on them is natural.

And maybe having a genuinely diverse cast instead of just a PC-favoured cast would help. They did have Poe, I guess. As I said, not too big of a gripe, but the Leia scene definitely stood out and costs the film some points. Sure it was a mistake, but that doesn't excuse it. That's simply going to be an unfavourable part of the comparison against TPM. I didn't like that scene either, but I don't really know how you're attributing that to it being PC rather than it being just a genuine mistake.

It was genuinely diverse, people of all different races and a relatively even spread of both males and females in it, kind of like they were trying to reflect the people of Earth, not some rural place in Kentucky. Like I said, the Leia-Rey thing was just a mistake and Leia was actually supposed to hug Chewie (IIRC), so it's not like they were actively trying to favor the "PC cast". TPM on the other hand was completely stale, everyone talked in the same monotone voice and had no personality. It's torture watching it.

Geistalt
They should just let him be an aromantic hero, like Luke.

Emperordmb
There's nothing wrong with a diverse cast, but it seems disingenuous to me to suggest there isn't anything agenda based when in the SW celebration panel, Kathleen Kennedy said "Strong female character" so often that if you played a drinking game while watching it you'd die of alcohol poisoning, and a Rogue One writer said the empire was an evil white supremacist organization.

SunRazer
I didn't like that scene either, but I don't really know how you're attributing that to it being PC rather than it being just a genuine mistake.

It was genuinely diverse, people of all different races and a relatively even spread of both males and females in it, kind of like they were trying to reflect the people of Earth, not some rural place in Kentucky. Like I said, the Leia-Rey thing was just a mistake and Leia was actually supposed to hug Chewie (IIRC), so it's not like they were actively trying to favor the "PC cast". TPM on the other hand was completely stale, everyone talked in the same monotone voice and had no personality. It's torture watching it.

TPM's dialogue issues have been accounted for and are matched by TFA's rip-off script.

|King Joker|
I'd rather have a rip-off script than a completely original yet dogshit one. TFA's script allows for an entertaining movie with good dialogue and acting, TPM's doesn't, really.

Zenwolf
a Rogue One writer said the empire was an evil white supremacist organization.

This probably bothered me more than any other thing frankly.

Geistalt
I'd rather have a rip-off script than a completely original yet dogshit one. Yeah; the Boonta race was garbage.

So was the disingenuous acting and killing off Maul's penis.

At least TFA had humor and action.

SunRazer
I'd rather have a rip-off script than a completely original yet dogshit one. TFA's script allows for an entertaining movie with good dialogue and acting, TPM's doesn't, really.

It's passable because it's been so long since we've had a movie of the sort, and also because ANH itself was good. No doubt the actual script was better and felt more like Star Wars than TPM, but I definitely felt they were playing it way too safe. Maybe that's fair given the reception of the Prequels.

That being said, the rip-off spread to Snoke and Starkiller Base, which is a significant mark against the movie in my opinion. Palpatine in TPM was a significantly superior villain to Snoke, and there's nothing really comparable to Starkiller Base (but then again, they weren't going for a shallow Death Star in TPM). I also think that the glossing over of the destruction of the New Republic capital compounds my problems with Starkiller Base.

SunRazer
Yeah; the Boonta race was garbage.

Nah, that was fine.

Zenwolf
Also enjoyed the uniqueness of the Gungans tbh, didn't use blasters or vehicles, but their own technology that they made and beasts.

SunRazer
Not using blasters or vehicles? The Ewoks? Apart from hijacking an AT-AT (which was really Chewie) they didn't do it either.

Emperordmb
Yeah but the gungans had actual unique technology as opposed to the ewoks using sticks and rocks.

SunRazer
Fair enough on the new technology, but not using blasters and vehicles is nothing unique.

Zenwolf
Not using blasters or vehicles? The Ewoks? Apart from hijacking an AT-AT (which was really Chewie) they didn't do it either.

Well as DMB said, the Gungans had unique technology, Ewoks did not, plus at least 1 Ewok did grab himself a blaster.

Edit: Didn't say not using blasters or vehicles was unique.

Geistalt
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Well as DMB said, the Gungans had unique technology, Ewoks did not, plus at least 1 Ewok did grab himself a blaster. You DARE assume the Ewok's gendur?!

Zenwolf
You DARE assume the Ewok's gendur?!

It was Flitchee, he was a male Ewok.

Geistalt
Was Rogue One really better than Kylo Ren's constant fvck-ups and temper tantrum(s)?

And all the Bond Villain Stupidity?

If so, I regret having voted for TFA.

SunRazer
Yeah. R1 had infinitely better villains. Vader shits on Kylo in every sense of the word, and the same can be said of Krennic & Hux and Tarkin & Snoke respectively.

Personally, I also enjoyed the protagonists a bit more. Then there's everything else. Better humour, better atmosphere, better dialogue, better ending; R1 did everything better, really. And of course the Death Star >>> Starkiller Base.

Although that alien torture thing in R1 was a bit weird and felt like an afterthought.

Zenwolf
I think my gripes were more or less even with both movies tbh.

Beniboybling
Good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsIQa7sH5_Y

Darth Thor
^ Got bored at "hi I'm Michael"

Beniboybling
Not surprised, short attention span and low intellect are a common pair. uhuh

|King Joker|
Good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsIQa7sH5_Y thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.