How would you explain Darth Bane to your average SW fan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
Take someone who is a casual fan; watched the films, maybe TCW and Rebels, and from time-to-time looks at a cool reference book they find at the library or book-store.

They know jack about ToR

They heard about Bane before, they might confuse him with Cad Bane, but otherwise they know of him only from casual mentions in the films.

How would you explain Darth Bane to them and the origins of Rule of two?

Carthage is banished from this thread.

Emperordmb
"The Sith Order used to be comprised of a ****ton of Sith at once, but they kept failing due to infighting, so one Sith named Darth Bane deceived the ideologically perverse Sith Order of his time into destroying themselves in war with the Jedi. Bane then rebuilt the Sith Order around the Rule of Two principal we see them operating with in the movies, one master and one apprentice, with the apprentice seizing the role of master by killing their master and taking on an apprentice and so on. This Sith Order rather than meeting the Jedi in open war manipulated galactic events from the shadows to destabilize the Jedi and Republic, accumulating more knowledge, wealth, and influence and biding their time until the Sith were ready to destroy the Jedi and overthrow the republic to place the Galaxy under Sith rule, which is what happened in the prequel trilogy."

Doesn't seem too tough to me

Geistalt
Principle (pardon my nit-picking). and you failed to mention that, by only training one apprentice, the Rule of Two ensured that each Apprentice'd be more powerful than their Master.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Geistalt
Principle (pardon my nit-picking).
https://www.allmystery.de/i/tbd416b_57334409_grammatik_macht_frei.jpg

Originally posted by Geistalt
and you failed to mention that, by only training one apprentice, the Rule of Two ensured that each Apprentice'd be more powerful than their Master.
I was keeping it simple and felt like your casual fan doesn't really give a shit about power scaling.

Rockydonovang
sith were wusses who kept getting whopped by the jedi so they, accepting their wussness, sneakked around like cowards for thousand years to weaken the republic subtle-like because they knew they were too damn weak to take the jedi head on

UCanShootMyNova
Given that's kind of the entire point of the Rule of Two I think that'd be relevant...

UCanShootMyNova
I'd describe Bane as this.

A Sith from a thousand years before the Prequels, who exterminated all the other Sith of his era and established the Rule of Two which is essentially a system that forbids there being more then two Sith at one time and ensure that each apprentice is more powerful then the master. Sidious was the last member of this Order.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
sith were wusses who kept getting whopped by the jedi so they, accepting their wussness, sneakked around like cowards for thousand years to weaken the republic subtle-like because they knew they were too damn weak to take the jedi head on
An order of 30 Sith managed to destroy an order of ten thousand Jedi... seems like the Sith knew what they were doing to me.

NewGuy01
A Sith Lord that lived roughly a thousand years before the movies. He lived in a time where there were thousands of Sith who fought the Jedi in massive battles, but were plagued by infighting and thus generally were at a disadvantage against the united Jedi. To remedy this, Bane killed all of the other Sith so that they'd be united. Yeah, I know how that sounds, he was a tad autistic.

red8
Dude created the Rule of Two.

I think that's all the casual fan needs to know.

Kurk
The point is to explain to a casual fan in-depth; not to give them a simplistic answer.

So far so good.

Also mention how he met his demise; his duels with Kas'im and Zannah

Emperordmb
His duel with Kas'im really isn't that relevant to the overarching story of SW. Probably the most thematically significant thing about Kas'im to the larger story of SW is that he was a source of inspiration for the Rule of Two.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Emperordmb
An order of 30 Sith managed to destroy an order of ten thousand Jedi... seems like the Sith knew what they were doing to me.
Rule of two had 30 sith? or is this kaan's suicidal brotherhood

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Rule of two had 30 sith? or is this kaan's suicidal brotherhood
The Rule of Two had 30 Sith in it's 1000 years.

Rockydonovang
The Rule of Two had 30 Sith in it's 1000 years.
huh.

Deronn_solo
He was a powerful bald head guy that could shoot lighting and had a hawt apprentice.

Emperordmb
A hawt apprentice whose name literally means whore in Hebrew... no seriously look it up.

SunRazer
Utter shit.

Deronn_solo
A hawt apprentice whose name literally means whore in Hebrew... no seriously look it up.

Holy shit, really? laughing out loud

SunRazer
Didn't get a result for "whore". I got "God's gift", though.

Eh, they're the same. smile

MythLord
Once there was a time where every apprentice with incomplete training was worth thousands of soldiers. The high tier Sith Lords were then obviously worth millions. Some bald weirdo with black lung came in, didn't get to grab Githany by the pwssy and decided to destroy them all in order to find a small child and make them play with his lightsaber.

He had an apprentice who's Sith name meant "whore" but actual name meant liquid that falls from the sky. Coincidentally, this man's best speed feat is deflecting liquid that falls from the sky. So he's really good with an umbrella.

Beniboybling
Sad pathetic turd, no need to go into details.

ILS
A good idea executed horrendously.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Bane is Star Wars' No Man's Sky.

relentless1
guy - "who's Darth Bane"

me - "some weak ass Sith Lord who created the rule that only two Sith Lords should be around at any given time; basically ****ing up the flow of the Prequels."

Ursumeles
Originally posted by ILS
A good idea executed horrendously.

SunRazer
What do people think of Bane in the pre-Karpyshyn material?

MythLord
Kevin J. Anderson did a decent job, actually.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by SunRazer
What do people think of Bane in the pre-Karpyshyn material?

You mean the shit where Bane moved a moon?

Worse than Drew's, lmao.

ILS
At least a frigging bartender didn't recite the Sith Code

Holy shit Drew

MythLord
Originally posted by ILS
At least a frigging bartender didn't recite the Sith Code

Holy shit Drew

laughing out loud

But seriously, despite being needlessly OP, pre-retcon Bane was actually decently-written for the most part. Kinda wished it stayed that way.

SunRazer
lol

Fated Xtasy
Good set up. Terrible execution.

Azronger
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
You mean the shit where Bane moved a moon?

Worse than Drew's, lmao.

Wait, what? That actually happened? Scans, please? I thought it was just a YouTube rumor or something like that.

Petrus
I'd describe Bane as a big, bald Sith who didn't approve of the Kaan's Brotherhood because he thought sharing power made them weaker. So, he decided to eliminate them and create the Rule of Two, an order where only two can exist, a master and an apprentice, with the purpose of passing on knowledge to each generation and maintaining powerful Sith whilst also hiding from their enemy until powerful enough.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by Azronger
Wait, what? That actually happened? Scans, please? I thought it was just a YouTube rumor or something like that.

Read the OP here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t435643.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.