Luke Quote

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthbane77
Quote that says Luke could have become as powerful as Anakin at FP, I need to know where to find it.

NewGuy01
There's a few. You're probably thinking of the one from Vanity Fair magazine, though.

darthbane77
Might be

ares834
It doesn't exist.

NewGuy01
" when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor. That's what Siths do! He tries it with anybody he thinks might be more powerful, which is what the Emperor was looking for in the first place: somebody who would be more powerful than he was and could help him rule the universe. But Obi-Wan screwed that up by cutting off his arms and legs and burning him up. From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

ares834
Yep. But, like I said, it does not mention that Luke could reach Anakin's FP only that he could become more powerful than the Emperor.

SunRazer
It says Luke could become "that", with "that" referring to "what was supposed to become".

darthbane77
Originally posted by NewGuy01
" when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor. That's what Siths do! He tries it with anybody he thinks might be more powerful, which is what the Emperor was looking for in the first place: somebody who would be more powerful than he was and could help him rule the universe. But Obi-Wan screwed that up by cutting off his arms and legs and burning him up. From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that." thanks

ares834
Originally posted by SunRazer
It says Luke could become "that", with "that" referring to "what was supposed to become".

And "what was supposed to become" refers to Anakin becoming more powerful then the Emperor.

NewGuy01
Arguably.

ares834
Not really. I mean the sentences immediately before it are about how Anakin could have surpassed the Emperor but no longer can since he was crippled. So, logically, "become" would refer to that.

Now, perhaps Lucas did mean that Luke could reach Anakin's full potential. However, that is not made clear in the passage and would be merely an assumption on our part. We can not definitively state that Luke FP = Anakin's FP based on this passage alone.

SunRazer
Actually, the preceding sentence says that he won't be as strong as the Emperor anymore, but we know his potential is even greater. The other sentence just says that the Emperor wanted someone stronger than himself, which isn't relevant.

At best you can say it's ambiguous, like NewGuy said. Certainly worth noting in any case.

ares834
Actually, the preceding sentence says that he won't be as strong as the Emperor anymore,

Actually? I posted virtually the same thing.

but we know his potential is even greater.

That's nice but is irrelevant. The passage is about how Sith are looking for apprentices who can surpass themselves. Anakin's full potential is never a subject in the passage but his ability to surpass Sidious is.

The other sentence just says that the Emperor wanted someone stronger than himself, which isn't relevant.

How is it not relevant? The next few lines build entirely off this.

At best you can say it's ambiguous, like NewGuy said.

I agree, at best, it is ambiguous. But, if we use logic and contextual clues it is evident that "what the son could become" refers to "somebody who would be more powerful than ". Not some nebulous "full potential" that is not once mentioned in the passage.

Like I said, either way, it's not a definitive statement by Lucas.

SunRazer
Turns out that the quote's from Rolling Stone, not Vanity, which is where they discuss his potential. So you're likely right.

There's a quote where Vader muses about the possibility of Luke's potential exceeding Anakin's, but that was written in 1996, before the Prequels.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.