Why do people call X-Men: First Class a good Prequel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

batman
I don't get why people say the Star Wars Prequels are awful for their continuity errors. Yet, X-Men: First Class is marked as a great Prequel, when it's packed with continuity errors left right & centre!

Some ghave made the argument 'But it's set in a different univeres!'But it's quite obvious that it does take place in the same universe as the Original trilogy, because it has the same opening. Also the sequel, Days of Future Past has a flash forward to X-Men: The ast Stand, so it is obvious that the films are canon.

People have also said, "The events from DOFP changed the timeline, so that's why FC follows a different continuity", but that argument is also invalid. Because First Class happened before the events of DOFP, so therefore the events leading up to it should be the same as they were before the timeline changed.

Raven not killing Trask may have changed the future, but it wouldn't change the past now would it???

So how is First Class a good Prequel?

Flyattractor
I wouldn't say it was a Good Prequel... A Good-ish one sure.....Better then X-3 by a long shot...

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by batman
I don't get why people say the Star Wars Prequels are awful for their continuity errors. Because they have continuity errors is why. And don't think you can disprove the criticism of those films by affirming the same criticism of this one.

The SW prequels are soulless and bland. People don't hate them for "the continuity errors" or the plot holes, they hate them because those movies are emotionally stunted and have immensely unlikable or boring characters/story threads/CGI/editing/acting/dialogue/everything really except the music.

First Class at least has those elements in place despite the inevitable continuity errors that every sequel/prequel/reboot will have.

Surtur
Lol, the prequels were bad because of continuity errors? Okay, if that if how you want to explain Liam Neesons performance? That's cool lol. Yep, the continuity is off, they forgot Qui Gon wasn't dull and one dimensional.

riv6672
Originally posted by batman
I don't get why people say the Star Wars Prequels are awful for their continuity errors. Yet, X-Men: First Class is marked as a great Prequel, when it's packed with continuity errors left right & centre!

Some ghave made the argument 'But it's set in a different univeres!'But it's quite obvious that it does take place in the same universe as the Original trilogy, because it has the same opening. Also the sequel, Days of Future Past has a flash forward to X-Men: The ast Stand, so it is obvious that the films are canon.

People have also said, "The events from DOFP changed the timeline, so that's why FC follows a different continuity", but that argument is also invalid. Because First Class happened before the events of DOFP, so therefore the events leading up to it should be the same as they were before the timeline changed.

Raven not killing Trask may have changed the future, but it wouldn't change the past now would it???

So how is First Class a good Prequel?
Valid question(s).
I'm not that worried about continuity errors but i know others are. If it counts for one franchise it should count for the other, though.

TheVaultDweller
Most of the X-Men films have some inconsistencies, even before First Class came around. A good movie can still have faults. First Class had a decent story, good casting, chemistry between the actors etc., so it still had plenty going for it, despite some faults. I can't speak for others, but I found the Star Wars PT to be rather boring, un-engaging, and they had so much unnecessary crap that made virtually zero impact on the overall plot of the films, as well as a few awful characters (Jar Jar and young Vader, just to name two examples).

riv6672
Yeah, good movie trumps inconsistencies.

Ascendancy
Indeed. There's also consideration for it being a story. Some novels that I've read do a good job of having characters present the idea that because what's happening in the moment will be relayed by others and shaped over time they are the only ones who will ever know how things truly occurred. I tend to take that view when it comes to franchises that span a large expanse of time and for series that are rebooted or purposely have different writers/directors/actors for different iterations.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Ascendancy
I tend to take that view when it comes to franchises that span a large expanse of time and for series that are rebooted or purposely have different writers/directors/actors for different iterations.

That's kinda the point.
Most movies are made without the thought or notion that it would turn into a franchise.
The 1st Alien & Terminator movies are good examples.

Once the fanbase & profit was established, inconsistencies were unavoidable in creating the franchise.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Most movies are made without the thought or notion that it would turn into a franchise. That's a bygone era. Now a franchise is required before something gets greenlit.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Because they have continuity errors is why. And don't think you can disprove the criticism of those films by affirming the same criticism of this one.

The SW prequels are soulless and bland. People don't hate them for "the continuity errors" or the plot holes, they hate them because those movies are emotionally stunted and have immensely unlikable or boring characters/story threads/CGI/editing/acting/dialogue/everything really except the music.

First Class at least has those elements in place despite the inevitable continuity errors that every sequel/prequel/reboot will have.

This, and to all the points made by guys like Ascendancy and Esau Cairn I say ditto to as well.

Everything franchise from the MCU to the Dark Knight Trilogy to Terminator have plot inconsistencies and holes.

I grew up with the OT Star Wars, but also was a kid come teenager when the PT was released. Of course as a kid, I thought the PT was great, but now it's easy to see its numerous flaws that make it inferior to the OT. Still enjoy the PT movies however, and if the script (mainly dialogue) was better for Revenge of the Sith, I'd probably rank it the numero uno Star Wars movie, period.

X-Men First Class has some great parts about its makeup, both as a standalone film and a franchise film:

Standalone:
- Directed by Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass, and, my fave, Kingsman). Kick-Ass and Kingsman along with First Class showed that he has an affinity for mixing genres in his films and the visual flair to make them stand out.
- The performances were great from many of the actors in the cast, especially McAvoy, Fassbender, Bacon, Hoult, and Caleb Landry Jones (Banshee).

Franchise:
- Made a clean reboot with the X-Men films (at least until Apoc came around)
- First Class mixed 4 origin stories (Charles, Eric, Raven, and the X-Men themselves as a team), a spy movie, a revenge tale, and the story of two friends that become enemies.
- Had, up to that point, probably the best showcase of all the mutants and their powers working as a team.

Patient_Leech
I didn't like it much at all.

But then again X-Men isn't really my cup of tea anyway.

Mindset
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I didn't like it much at all.

But then again X-Men isn't really my cup of tea anyway. Racist

relentless1
Originally posted by Mindset
Racist

eek! laughing laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Mindset
Racist
Yeah, I just don't like all that diversity. laughing out loud

Esau Cairn
That's a bygone era. Now a franchise is required before something gets greenlit.

Not necessarily.

There's a lot of movies that get released or start production each year that isn't mentioned on KMC.

I'm guessing but it feels like franchise films would prob only make 40% of films (blockbuster formula) that come out of Hollywood each year.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

But then again X-Men isn't really my cup of tea anyway.

Who needs Wolverine when you can kill with a tea cup?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Who needs Wolverine when you can kill with a tea cup?

Damn straight.

"Death by tea cup. Damn, why didn't I think of that?"

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/16RdEtQL9EQ/maxresdefault.jpg

queeq
Because they have continuity errors is why. And don't think you can disprove the criticism of those films by affirming the same criticism of this one.

Agreed!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.