marvel vs dc: the draft

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
just an idea sprung from another thread.

let's pretend for a moment the entire comics industry has been rebooted and collected under the labels of marvel or dc--all characters though, are now up for grabs. both companies get to DRAFT which character (and their titles) falls under their umbrella, based on a back and forth pick what's available style.

marvel wins the rock paper scissors and gets first pick. do they stick with one of their own heroes? do they choose dc's cash cow first? do they go to a smaller, lesser known pick as a shock? any character is available to them. who do they take with the first overall pick? how does dc answer? list a few of you picks--top 5 for each, top 10 if you're ambitious. how might the line-ups look if the companies had full control of their choices?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by leonidas
just an idea sprung from another thread.

let's pretend for a moment the entire comics industry has been rebooted and collected under the labels of marvel or dc--all titles though, are now up for grabs. both companies get to DRAFT which titles they choose, based on a back and forth pick what's available style.

marvel wins the rock paper scissors and gets first pick. do they stick with one of their own titles? do they choose dc's cash cow first? do they go to a smaller, lesser known pick as a shock? any title is available to them. who do they take with the first overall pick? how does dc answer? list a few of you picks--top 5 for each, top 10 if you're ambitious. how might the line-ups look if the companies had full control of their choices?

addendum--if marvel takes, say, superman, they get the attached family of books as well. not the jla though, as dc can still have a jla, just without superman....

if you don't like that, make your own rule. thumb up
A creative threadthumb up

1. Marvel: Batman
1. DC: Superman
2. Marvel: Spiderman
2. DC: Flash
3. Marvel: Iron Man
3. DC: Wolverine
4. Marvel: Thor
4. DC: Wonder Woman
5. Marvel: Hulk
5. DC: Green Lantern

leonidas
huh. nice. thumb up

and in before my edit i see. lol but seems to have worked out about how i was going for it. flash that high, eh? i'm little surprised. because of the tv show carry-over you think?

riv6672
Marvel goes first? They'd pick Spider-man as he's their flagship character.
DC is going to pick Batman, no question, first time out.

Neither is risking those two first round drafts.

DC has the harder choice, initially because Superman. I think they'd gamble on Marvel not wanting Superman bad enough, as he would alter their house style too much.

Round 2:
Marvel-Cap
DC-Supes

Round 3:
Marvel-Iron Man
DC-Wonder Woman

Round 4:
Marvel-Wolverine
DC-Flash

Round 5:
Marvel-Thor
DC-Green Lantern

Initially the companies are going to grab their 'babies', their defining characters/cash cows. Messing with each other is going to wait till a bit later in the draft.

carver9
Marvel would most definitely pick Batman first.
DC would most definitely pick Ironman first.

The rest is a flip.

riv6672
^^^interesting.
Thats perfectly viable thinking for Marvel, but if they did, i think DC responds with Spidey not Tony.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by leonidas
huh. nice. thumb up

and in before my edit i see. lol but seems to have worked out about how i was going for it. flash that high, eh? i'm little surprised. because of the tv show carry-over you think?

Thanks. ^^
1. Marvel: Batman, ultimate cash cow, most popular Superhero these days.
1. DC: Superman, the flagship char and the DC icon for too long.
2. Marvel: Spiderman, same as Superman for DC
2. DC: Flash, TV show and overall popularity.
3. Marvel: Iron Man, the Movies pushed him that far.
3. DC: Wolverine, from this point on I guess it will be hard. So most would just try to save their other cash cows. DC would still sninkt this one.
4. Marvel: Thor, with female Thor and Asgard.
4. DC: Wonder Woman, the biggest female Superheroine
5. Marvel: Hulk, the Marvel strongman and Supermans strength counterpart.
5. DC: Green Lantern, the corps is a too big player for the cosmology.

golem370
Call me slow but If I was Marvel and DC these would be my picks

Marvel-Deathstroke
DC-Daredevil

Marvel-Wonder Woman
DC-Iron Fist

Marvel-Flash
DC-Fantastic Four

darthgoober
My predictions...

1st round
Marvel would pick Supes(Marvel can't pull off a successful clone because of the big man himself. They're also better with streets in general so Batman isn't as appealing as many might think)
DC would pick Batman(Losing their primary icon, they've got to hold on to their #2)

2nd round
Marvel would pick Spiderman
DC would pick Wonder Woman

3rd round

Marvel would pick FF if the package comes with Dr. Doom(if he doesn't come with the package I honestly think they'd just go with Doom)
DC would pick Silver Surfer(Marvel struggles with Surfer but DC loves him, he fills the spot of a pure hearted alien and power gap left by Supes, and with their style of writing he'd be a big success there)

4th Round

Marvel would pick Hulk(Unless they still need to pick the FF)
DC would pick Hal and the GL corp

5th Round

Marvel would pick Thor(unless they still need Hulk)
DC would pick Flash(unless Marvel still hasn't chosen Thor, in which case they'd take him for themselves just out of spite for losing Supes since they know Marvel hates speedsters anyway so there's virtually no chance of him being their 6th round draft)

Beyond that, I have no idea.

riv6672
Originally posted by golem370

Marvel-Deathstroke
DC-Daredevil

Marvel-Wonder Woman
DC-Iron Fist

Marvel-Flash
DC-Fantastic Four
Those are sound picks for later in the draft.

DC isnt very diverse in streets outside the Bat family, and they like their MAs, so DD and IF make sense.
They also lack in teams outside the JLA TT franchises, and have a lot of venues to be exploited by a mid tier team of explorers like the FF.

Thats really good thinking re: Supes. Hadnt considered that.
I have to agree on Bats. Money aside Marvel doesnt need him.

golem370
The idea of Marvel failing to make a popular Superman type I think it not that they are trying to match Superman popularity but to pay respect to the character.

I would like to see Marvel picking Martian Manhunter I think he would be used better there. It would be cool to see some lesser Marvel types get a revamp in DC aka Sleepwalker or Alpha Flight lol Ghost Rider.

golem370
Originally posted by riv6672
Those are sound picks for later in the draft.

DC isnt very diverse in streets outside the Bat family, and they like their MAs, so DD and IF make sense.
They also lack in teams outside the JLA TT franchises, and have a lot of venues to be exploited by a mid tier team of explorers like the FF.

They would variety to their MA a Blind Crime Fighter that rivals Batman in skill and Iron Fist with his unique type of fighting.

riv6672
^^^I know right, that would rock.

Me too, i've said it many times he'd fit in well.
If they did i wouldnt want them to puck Supes though, as he'd take away any shine MM would have on his own.

ghostman
marvel-new gods
dc-thor
marvel-martian manhunter
dc-silver surfer
marvel- captain atom
dc-FF

golem370
I could see a Thor & Wonder Woman Dynasty specially female Thor stick out tongue shifty

darthgoober

Marvel-Deathstroke
DC-Daredevil

Marvel-Wonder Woman
DC-Iron Fist

Marvel-Flash
DC-Fantastic Four
Originally posted by ghostman
marvel-new gods
dc-thor
marvel-martian manhunter
dc-silver surfer
marvel- captain atom
dc-FF
See I don't think there'd be that much swapping between companies. There'd be one or two picks from the other guys here and there, but for the most part I think each will want to maintain their own roster as much as possible. Picking 3 from the other company first and in a row would be akin to admitting that the other company was better all along

golem370
Originally posted by darthgoober
See I don't think there'd be that much swapping between companies. There'd be one or two picks from the other guys here and there, but for the most part I think each will want to maintain their own roster as much as possible. Picking 3 from the other company first and in a row would be akin to admitting that the other company was better all along

Is that what the companies think or the customers? I think for instance Stan Lee likes DC Characters and or comics. I say Wonder Woman to Marvel because it would be awesome to see a Thor/Wonder Woman coupling. I think DC would love a character like Daredevil and more recent Iron Fist.

ghostman
i feel like dc has more to lose than marvel. at the same time they have sooo much to gain as well!

darthgoober
Is that what the companies think or the customers? I think for instance Stan Lee likes DC Characters and or comics. I say Wonder Woman to Marvel because it would be awesome to see a Thor/Wonder Woman coupling. I think DC would love a character like Daredevil and more recent Iron Fist.
It's what it would feel like to the companies. I know they each like the other guys stuff, but wanting more of the other guy's characters than their own would send a bad message. As I said, I have no doubt that they'd choose to take a few of the other companies characters, I just don't think either would risk losing face by drafting more of the oppposition than the home team. Marvel choosing 3 characters from DC first would basically be saying that DC had better characters.

On a side note, I totally agree on how cool a Thor/WW duo in Marvel would be, but disagree about Daredevil in DC. Outside the Bat family, DC streets don't get to shine quite as much as they do in Marvel. He'd do well for a few stories, but then he'd lose a lot of what he has because DC puts so much emphasis on Bruce and comp.

ghostman
It's what it would feel like to the companies. I know they each like the other guys stuff, but wanting more of the other guy's characters than their own would send a bad message. As I said, I have no doubt that they'd choose to take a few of the other companies characters, I just don't think either would risk losing face by drafting more of the oppposition than the home team. Marvel choosing 3 characters from DC first would basically be saying that DC had better characters.

On a side note, I totally agree on how cool a Thor/WW duo in Marvel would be, but disagree about Daredevil in DC. Outside the Bat family, DC streets don't get to shine quite as much as they do in Marvel. He'd do well for a few stories, but then he'd lose a lot of what he has because DC puts so much emphasis on Bruce and comp.

exactly i feel like dc needs a more varied street scene. and a few more prominent heralds as well. i feel like silver surfer/galactus would do really well in dc

golem370
I don't see as one get any on the other.

riv6672
Thats what i based my OP on. Theyre gonna keep their babies.

Prof. T.C McAbe
I ask myself what would influence their decisions, money? Marvel makes more money with the movies, where DC is only successful with Batman in this department. Comics are less lucrative. So wouldn't it be wise to just weaken DC forever by taking this cash cow first?

staxamillion
The idea of Marvel failing to make a popular Superman type I think it not that they are trying to match Superman popularity but to pay respect to the character.

I would like to see Marvel picking Martian Manhunter I think he would be used better there. It would be cool to see some lesser Marvel types get a revamp in DC aka Sleepwalker or Alpha Flight lol Ghost Rider.

Didn't FF get cancelled. I don't see either drafting them as a team.

I also think that Marvel has better luck with teams, and groups; they will be trying to get some more stand alone guys that they can ALSO throw into a team.

I think you are spot on for Martian Manhunter going to marvel. they would do much better. cheers

IMO opinion if bats came to Marvel he would have to join a team/teams. I could see a good storyline or reoccurring theme that everyone believes that batman is mutant but he isn't. still Marvel would be crazy not to snatch Batman due to everything else included.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.