Avengers (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
Xg0SIUYY6OE

Looks like the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider developers are working together to make an Avengers game. I'm in! Both are fantastic developers.

Kazenji
Good to see Marvel getting back into putting games out again, Besides the mobile app ones

i want a to see a really good Thor game be made next.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Good to see Marvel getting back into putting games out again, Besides the mobile app ones

i want a to see a really good Thor game be made next. Yeah, I'm hoping it's an RPG. I miss Xmen Legends and Ultimate Alliance

-Pr-
I'd like to see something third person, but closer in than the Ultimate Alliance games.

Something Arkhamy, almost, but better than the recent Spider-Man games we got.

Like that Hulk game a while back with the city, etc.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
but better than the recent Spider-Man games we got.

Shattered Dimensions wasn't that bad from the two Beenox made

as for this the Eidos Montreal & Marvel partnership, Apparently they're also doing a Guardians of the Galaxy game.

-Pr-
Some details have started to emerge, though it's really not much to go on. It WILL be shown at E3, they said, though how much we see, whether it's gameplay or just a trailer, remains to be seen.

A bunch of sites are claiming the game will have single-player and 4-player co-op multiplayer modes, and a few are even claiming that the game won't be unlike Destiny.

As much as I would like a game that isn't a service and is just "here's a 3rd person superhero game with a story", a Destiny-style "four players team up to do dungeons as superheroes" game isn't exactly an unattractive proposition either.

God knows we need more superhero games. Arkham, Lego and Injustice can only tide me over for so long.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah, I'm hoping it's an RPG. I miss Xmen Legends and Ultimate Alliance an Ultimate Alliance game is coming out this very year.

-Pr-
Yeah; shame UA3 is switch exclusive.

Surtur
Some details have started to emerge, though it's really not much to go on. It WILL be shown at E3, they said, though how much we see, whether it's gameplay or just a trailer, remains to be seen.

A bunch of sites are claiming the game will have single-player and 4-player co-op multiplayer modes, and a few are even claiming that the game won't be unlike Destiny.

As much as I would like a game that isn't a service and is just "here's a 3rd person superhero game with a story", a Destiny-style "four players team up to do dungeons as superheroes" game isn't exactly an unattractive proposition either.

God knows we need more superhero games. Arkham, Lego and Injustice can only tide me over for so long.

We need single player experiences. Multiplayer in *addition* to that would be cool.

NemeBro
Both are fantastic developers. no

-Pr-
Originally posted by Surtur
We need single player experiences. Multiplayer in *addition* to that would be cool.

Yeah. This whole "singleplayer is dead" thing has been shown to be completely untrue. There's just less money in it to those people.

Nemesis X
Singleplayer is only spat on because you can't put loot boxes in it. Gonna be interesting to see what happens if those get banned.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Singleplayer is only spat on because you can't put loot boxes in it.

Except for the odd game that manages to do it.

Nemesis X
Except for the odd game that manages to do it.

For a time before everyone breathes down their necks like with Middle Earth Shadow of War.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by NemeBro
no Alright fine, the Deus Ex devs at least (MD was half a game at best but it was air tight gameplay wise; HR is fkn fantastic and in my top 10).

cdtm
Yeah, I'm hoping it's an RPG. I miss Xmen Legends and Ultimate Alliance

Still haven't opened up my 360 copy of UA2.

Probably not worth selling, only 60 on Amazon new.

NemeBro
Alright fine, the Deus Ex devs at least (MD was half a game at best but it was air tight gameplay wise; HR is fkn fantastic and in my top 10). I don't think either are good.

Human Revolution was great, but Mankind Divided was a big step down and let us not forget they are responsible for the execrable Thief revival, and that they partly share the blame for the incredibly stale Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Arachnid1
I don't think either are good.

Human Revolution was great, but Mankind Divided was a big step down and let us not forget they are responsible for the execrable Thief revival, and that they partly share the blame for the incredibly stale Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Solid points. I'm probably being too easy on them for HRs sake

They should have been ballsier with Shadow. That game felt like a safe carbon copy of those that came before, like Eidos was too scared to deviate too much and alienate the fan base. I put that entire series on Crystal more tbh. Too cookie cutter after the first.

I completely forgot about Thief. I remember being pretty excited for that after Human Revolution. The developer-game pairing seemed like a really good match. This is a solid L for Eidos.

MD was a step down from HR. Good gameplay wise, but the story ended halfway through and they removed boss fights because of people's bitching (FUK). I don't want to defend this game since I b*tched pretty hard about all that in the thread for it, but I did have fun in terms of pure gameplay (not that that excuses MDs shortcomings).

We'll see what they do with this Avengers game.

Kazenji
What a letdown, Hardly any gameplay.

Jmanghan
I don't think either are good.

Human Revolution was great, but Mankind Divided was a big step down and let us not forget they are responsible for the execrable Thief revival, and that they partly share the blame for the incredibly stale Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I still think Deus Ex and Invisible War are leagues ahead of both games.

BruceSkywalker
game looks good despite no gameplay

ares834
Looks like ass. The designs are atrocious.

Estacado
Gameplay looks cool, Tony's and Thor's design looks kinda meh but this could be really fun.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Estacado
Gameplay looks cool, Tony's and Thor's design looks kinda meh but this could be really fun.

What Gameplay?

steverules_2
An avengers came without cap?

Khazra Reborn
The character designs are awful, the gameplay better be stellar.

-Pr-
It was posted on reddit earlier that (supposedly) the design team took note of the lukewarm reception the designs got at E3, and will be looking at redoing a bunch of them.

I mean, Iron Man looked fine I suppose, but I wouldn't say no to changing that awful Cap suit, or fixing Widow's chin.

In other news, people who have played it have described it as a mix between God of War and Anthem.

-Pr-
According to the devs at E3:

-Single-Player and Multiplayer are completely separate, but the stories of each will intersect.
-Microtransactions will be included, but not in a pay2win capacity.
-Each character will have mutliple skill trees.
-Gear upgrades will be separate from your costume, so no having to use an Iron Man armour you don't like just to have +10 to repulsor power.

Obviously whether all of this remains true, remains to be seen.

Kazenji
Yeah the trailer for this game is a disservice to the actual game what i've heard.

-Pr-
Yeah. They really need to show us more gameplay, particularly that of Hulk, as every mention I've read of the game says he's by far the most fun to play.

Trocity
Originally posted by ares834
Looks like ass. The designs are atrocious.

BruceSkywalker
Yeah. They really need to show us more gameplay, particularly that of Hulk, as every mention I've read of the game says he's by far the most fun to play.

gameplay prolly won't happen until early next year

-Pr-
Actual gameplay in this video:

NrtZPs3hepo

A more complete one:

at-oBQVptKA

-Pr-
Kamala Khan was announced as the next playable character:

S1VZi4KFXww

With that stretching tech down, getting Mister Fantastic in game should be easy enough.

-Pr-
Game overview:

leeNBWSm0AQ

-Pr-
To be fair, it looks like it's come a long way in the last few months.

Utrs9IBqJIM

Nemesis X
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290331801601400832

As if the live service wasn't questionable enough, Marvel has struck a deal with Sony to make Spider-Man an exclusive playable hero on the PS4 & PS5 versions of Avengers. Not a timed exclusive, an exclusive. If you're a Xbox or PC player who was gonna look forward playing him, you're SOL. Surprising nobody, this rustled the jimmies of many a gamers now getting harassed by shills 'cause you be not a bot.

I would get if Spider-Man had exclusive extra side goodies on the PlayStation side what with having an exclusive game on that platform from extra costumes, a bonus map, a challenge pack, whatever but the character himself? That I don't get. Unless a Soul Calibur 4 twist happens and the other versions of the game get exclusive heroes too, oughta tell ya about $ony's confidence in this console war.

Smasandian
I would get if the characters were Sony specific...or Xbox specific and clearly meant as a joke....kinda of like Soul Caliber 2 with Link or Spawn.

But Spider-man...one of the most popular superhero...that's brutal. They can go **** themselves.
There is rumours that Sony will be doing a lot of these types of exclusive deals to get people on the PS5. Personally, I think it's bullshit.

I'm already a bit annoyed by Deathloop being an timed exclusive. I think 3rd party exclusives should also go away.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
There is rumours that Sony will be doing a lot of these types of exclusive deals to get people on the PS5. Personally, I think it's bullshit.

Which makes me not want a PS5 if it only promotes this kind of crap more. There are lots of better and more healthy means getting the one up on your competitors. This is just cowardly. And scummy.

Smasandian
I guess....but look at the heat Microsoft is taking with their exclusives..putting them on the PC day 1.

You see the same comments..."they are dumb...what's the point of buying an Xbox"....when gamers should be commending them.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS wants to put there exclusives on PS5....it doesn't seem they care that much anymore.

BackFire

jaden_2.0

-Pr-
It isn't just Spidey either. PS is getting a bunch of timed shit before MS does like skins, xp bonuses etc

Square America have been bastards for years now, but this is particularly bastardy.

Smasandian
Both companies have done this in the past...but I don't think MS has done something similar in awhile.

They have said they want to step away from timed exclusives (like Rise of the Tomb Raider) but the last show they had..had console exclusives...not sure what that means. It gets kind of murky on what is considered "3rd party" with some of the more indie like games....most likely indie developers getting an influx of cash to make a game...and releasing on that platform.

Smasandian
BACKFIRE QUOTE: "Well Sony and MS are diverging pretty heavily as far as their goals. Don’t wants everyone to own a PS5. MS is trying to become the Netflix of gaming."

Which is smart. I was watching the Giant Bomb team talk over the MS press conference....one of them I believe mentioned that developers are very happy with the results when releasing on Game Pass.

I wouldn't be surprised if other larger corporations start releasing on the platform if the game doesn't sell as well as it could.

If I know a game is going to sell badly, I know with 80% certainty it will end up on Game Pass soon....Metro Exodus and Rage are good examples of this.

Nemesis X
y3FBOuE8rq4

BackFire
Yeah and it makes sense when you consider that Sony Is largely a hardware company and MS is a software company.

-Pr-
Both companies have done this in the past...but I don't think MS has done something similar in awhile.

They have said they want to step away from timed exclusives (like Rise of the Tomb Raider) but the last show they had..had console exclusives...not sure what that means. It gets kind of murky on what is considered "3rd party" with some of the more indie like games....most likely indie developers getting an influx of cash to make a game...and releasing on that platform.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing. They're both awful. I was just saying that adding Square America in to the mix is like, multiplying dickhead by dickhead until you have dickhead squared.

y3FBOuE8rq4

My guess as to why it's not a PS exclusive title was that CD probably started it off with every intent of it being equal across the board. Then, when they were nearly done, Square were like "lol add Spider-man".

Honestly, if the rumours/leaks hadn't happened, we probably wouldn't even know what little we know now.

Nemesis X
https://www.pcgamer.com/avengers-dev-explains-why-spider-man-is-a-playstation-exclusive/

In one interview, he says how the exclusive playable Spider-Man is gonna be unique and awesome and crazy fun while in another he tells you it isn't that special, play the other content and get over it. Make up your mind, Scot! haermm

"We have a product for people who can't get online, it's called Xbox 360."

"Don't you guys have phones?"

"When you think about it, Magneto is just a function."

That attitude must work apparently...

Nemesis X
And you can tell how conflicted the man is between those interviews. He knows if he says the obvious that Marvel was basically bribed, he's gonna get in trouble.

Smasandian
The problem is that it will work. Until consumers stop buying shit for situations like this...it will continue.

Though, I will admit that it doesn't seem to be as prevalent as the 360/PS3 era and only Sony is still continuing (aka...exclusives items/timed DLC). Destiny 2 DLC packs were available for a year before getting to Xbox.

-Pr-
And you can tell how conflicted the man is between those interviews. He knows if he says the obvious that Marvel was basically bribed, he's gonna get in trouble.

Of course he is. The leaks forced their hand, but instead of doing damage control, they're just doubling down and being smarmy about it.

The problem is that it will work. Until consumers stop buying shit for situations like this...it will continue.

Though, I will admit that it doesn't seem to be as prevalent as the 360/PS3 era and only Sony is still continuing (aka...exclusives items/timed DLC). Destiny 2 DLC packs were available for a year before getting to Xbox.

The last XBOX ****ery I can remember is the Tomb Raider thing. Was there anything more recent than that?

Smasandian
Which was 5 years ago...jesus, felt like yesterday.

Something akin to this...MS owned (or used too...) the Ferrari license for Xbox and PC games. This means racing games on those platforms had to go through MS to have Ferrari's. It was a big kerfuffle between MS and EA (who owned Porsche).

But I believe EA and MS worked something out because Forza 7 (and DLC for 6) had Porsche but I'm not too if this is the case anymore.

But it seems they are less today and that's probably because of the leadership change with Spencer and the new CEO.

Ridley_Prime
QHEtEwr-oqw

haermm
Not that this game's competition (the GAAS Suicide Squad) is looking any better.

Trocity
I watched someone stream this game for a little while and it honestly looks really bad.

Kind of embarrassing.

Kazenji
I've watched some of it, From what i've seen from it's about a 7/10.

-Pr-
The game was rushed, that much was obvious. Even with the extra months added on, they obviously needed more to work out the kinks.

That said, I'm having a lot of fun with the campaign. The characters feel distinct from each other, and feel like, imo at least, they should.

Nemesis X
The single player looks alright and had multiplayer not been slapped on it, it would've easily been more appealing 'cause as it stands I don't wanna look like I'm endorsing for more looter brawlers as Warp Zone put it. If anyone's planning to buy this just to scratch that Marvel itch, there's Ultimate Alliance y'know or Marvel Lego which is surprisingly entertaining.

Khazra Reborn
Can you play through the whole story as one character? Or do they force you to play as the bullshit characters as well

-Pr-
The campaign cycles through the various characters depending on what the mission entails.

The non-story stuff lets you choose.

I don't know what you mean by "bullshit characters" though. There's only six of them.

Khazra Reborn

-Pr-
shrug

It's a story campaign. There's more non-campaign missions where you can play as whoever you like. It's how you level your characters.

Surtur
How is the gameplay? I heard it falls short.

Is this an x-men legends type game?

-Pr-
It's strange. All six characters, imo at least, handle extremely well. I might even claim that this is the best version of any of them ever put in a game when it comes to gameplay stuff like powers etc.

The real issue is the balancing. The game is badly balanced in solo play, and there are issues with enemies being able to interrupt you, but you can't interrupt them. The game is also very parry heavy in terms of what they expect from you the player.

It has the bones of a really good game, gameplay wise. They just need to tweak it.

If you want an idea, here's one:

7fUwUVSR0eQ

Surtur
It comes off like one of those games with wasted potential.

Just watching that, it comes off like it fails at making the player feel as powerful as the Hulk truly is.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Surtur
It comes off like one of those games with wasted potential.

Just watching that, it comes off like it fails at making the player feel as powerful as the Hulk truly is.

There are times when it feels like that. There are also times when you feel super-powerful. It being a constantly updated game means I can have some optimism though. Or at the very least, keep my fingers crossed.

Trocity
Super Fit Epic Hulk Outfit? Lmao wth, that isn't how Hulk just normally looks?

Surtur
Yes I read it would be getting lots of updates. Hopefully it can improve.

-Pr-
There's supposed to be a wartable soon where they give out a roadmap for the coming months. That's going to be key.

Even with it's faults, the game does keep me coming back to it because the characters just "feel" right to me in how they play, for the most part.

Newjak
I wanted to be excited about this game but after other reviews/watching the first 1 of the game I've definitely started to lean to not picking it up.

Kazenji
It's strange. All six characters, imo at least, handle extremely well. I might even claim that this is the best version of any of them ever put in a game when it comes to gameplay stuff like powers etc.

Not sure about that for Iron Man/Stark, He behave's too much like Deadpool and yes i know it's the same voice actor who voiced him a previous game.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
I wanted to be excited about this game but after other reviews/watching the first 1 of the game I've definitely started to lean to not picking it up.

Honestly, I would wait until they fix the combat balance.

Not sure about that for Iron Man/Stark, He behave's too much like Deadpool and yes i know it's the same voice actor who voiced him a previous game.

His quips during combat can be a bit lame, sure, but otherwise? I don't see it.

Plus, I was speaking more about gameplay. His powers, his animations etc.

Nemesis X
9t-5tEsLaA4

"Avengers currently in limbo, with Crystal Dynamics seemingly pushing back a number of it's roadmap objectives while simultaneously trying to fix what currently ails the game (loot, loot, and more loot). Since players don't know when fixes are coming, interest in the game appears to be tapering off at an increased pace and that's starting to come with a few noticeable issues for players that remain." - From one of the articles YongYea reads.

Anthem: First time?

-Pr-
Yeah, it's very much a "wait and see" thing right now. It's not looking good, but it's a damn shame because when the game is good, it's ****ing amazing. It's just not often enough.

ares834
9t-5tEsLaA4

"Avengers currently in limbo, with Crystal Dynamics seemingly pushing back a number of it's roadmap objectives while simultaneously trying to fix what currently ails the game (loot, loot, and more loot). Since players don't know when fixes are coming, interest in the game appears to be tapering off at an increased pace and that's starting to come with a few noticeable issues for players that remain." - From one of the articles YongYea reads.

Anthem: First time?

Good.

**** this game. And **** games as service.

Smasandian
There is nothing wrong with games as a service if it's done well.

If the core gameplay loop is solid then it's nice to get a game consistently updated with content.

cdtm
Games as a service is unnecessary, and just one more way to bleed you dry. I want a one time fee and then all the time in the world to play at my leisure, without having to worry about credit cards or wasting a subscription.

Smasandian
You do not need to pay anything when playing a service model game.

I have played probably 1000 hours between both The Division games and I have no paid a single cent after the initial purchase.

Same with Rocket League as well.

Kazenji
There is nothing wrong with games as a service if it's done well.

If the core gameplay loop is solid then it's nice to get a game consistently updated with content.

yeah i hear Destiny and a few others have gotten the idea right, Seems this Avengers game has failed at it.

Originally posted by cdtm
Games as a service is unnecessary, and just one more way to bleed you dry. I want a one time fee and then all the time in the world to play at my leisure, without having to worry about credit cards or wasting a subscription.

Once again, you're misinformed.

Smasandian
I haven't played too much Destiny.

I just know from The Division 2, there is roughly 30-40 hours of campaign with 15 missions, untold amount of unique side missions and 5-7 different repeatable activities. The end game consists of 2 large stronghold, 5 new missions (free DLC) and an less than ideal repeatable mission.

Then they released a full add-on with an entire new map, new missions, new guns and armour, an 2 new bad guy groups. It's essentially an expansion pack

The microtransactions is currency, which you can use to buy cosmetics. However, through the game, you unlock lock crates that give these cosmetics. There is also ability to trash any cosmetic that you already have into a different currency, which then allows you to unlock specific cosmetics that you want.

The season pass doesn't add anything you cannot get by playing...just gives more drops, cosmetics and other stuff like that.

BackFire
From what I hear about this game it seems the consensus is that this game would have been a really cool and normal campaign focused single player game and it feels like they forced a GaaS strategy into it.

cdtm
yeah i hear Destiny and a few others have gotten the idea right, Seems this Avengers game has failed at it.

Once again, you're misinformed.

Service normally = subscription.

Still not preferable for a single player campaign focused game, as it requires constant online access and when the company folds, you lose your game.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
From what I hear about this game it seems the consensus is that this game would have been a really cool and normal campaign focused single player game and it feels like they forced a GaaS strategy into it.

I would agree with that.
It didn't help that the previews from a year ago showed no GaaS type elements and everybody assumed it was Arkham Asylum type lover affair.

It also doesn't make sense at all with the subject matter. Destiny, WoW, Division and other similar games have weapons, armours and etc to utilize stats for....makes no sense that the Hulk gains attack power based on his jeans.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint just went through the backlash for that as well

-Pr-
There's supposed to be a big patch this week, but it is approaching the point of no return.

Square should have never pushed for the game to be released so early.

-Pr-
Big patch today, yet another step in the right direction in terms of bug fixes, and some new content is coming tomorrow.

They just have to keep at it with the content, especially as regards adding new iconic villains. They've already been datamined in terms of what heroes will be coming out, so that side of things should be sorted at least.

Nemesis X
https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/16/21519397/marvels-avengers-kate-bishop-first-raid-aim-cloning-lab-next-gen-delay

huh.

-Pr-
It's Kate Bishop, so I'm not exactly broken-hearted. I don't mind them focusing on bug fixes for now. It's taking it's time, but they are making progress. Whether they can undo all the bad (which was genuinely warranted) press though, is another thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.