Why does Sidious use a cane?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
We know that Yoda's cane could provide him with nutrients and anesthetics; not to mention that jedi morals forbid the abuse of powers to sustain yourself indefinitely.

My Star Wars Visual Dictionary states that the Emperor used the cane because he wanted to appear weak, not because he needed it.

Why do you think this is? To test for mutiny among potentially over-confident military officers?

Emperordmb
*an cane

I'm disappointed in you Kurk. Thought you knew better.

Zenwolf
Wrong forum there Kurk, but he did grow weaker physically, so the cane was more than likely needed to some extent. But it's just really to put on a public show for the galaxy. No one would ever suspect a feeble old man who walks with a cane, to be an evil Sith Lord. (Save for of course those who knew him very well.)

Kurk
Originally posted by Emperordmb
*an cane

I'm disappointed in you Kurk. Thought you knew better. can you please destroy carthage in the vader vs bane thread? If you don't want to spoil your image, pm me some arguments.
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Wrong forum there Kurk, but he did grow weaker physically, so the cane was more than likely needed to some extent. But it's just really to put on a public show for the galaxy. No one would ever suspect a feeble old man who walks with a cane, to be an evil Sith Lord. (Save for of course those who knew him very well.)
no fu**ing shit I put it in the versus forum by mistake. The source book does state that he didn't need it, so not sure what you mean. Public image is one thing, but Emperor Palpatine was about as old as Dooku, yet the latter didn't use a cane despite him being head of state of the CIS.

Do you think it's reasonable to assume that Palpatine was not powerful enough in the force to where he could sustain himself through the force permanently whenever he walked?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Kurk
can you please destroy carthage in the vader vs bane thread? If you don't want to spoil your image, pm me some arguments.

no fu**ing shit I put it in the versus forum by mistake. The source book does state that he didn't need it, so not sure what you mean. Public image is one thing, but Emperor Palpatine was about as old as Dooku, yet the latter didn't use a cane despite him being head of state of the CIS.

Do you think it's reasonable to assume that Palpatine was not powerful enough in the force to where he could sustain himself through the force permanently whenever he walked?

Well Dark Side Sourcebook says he grew physically weaker due to all the dark side usage.

I mean I'd wager he can sustain himself, he's shown himself a few times without using his cane. Though probably not permanently due to the dark side usage he's done over all the years.

Plus the whole Jedi attempting to assassinate him story he spewed out, saying that they left him scarred and deformed which the cane also fits perfectly for that too...well at least public wise, even if that is technically something that was true.

Kurk
So the use of the dark-side will physically cripple you? Doesn't really make sense if you ask me when looking at geriatric dark-side users like Dooku or Vitiate (though I know he transferred bodies; not all that familiar with him).

Also Sidious announced his "scarred/deformed attack by the jedi" to the senate without his cane, so not sure there either.

Zenwolf
So the use of the dark-side will physically cripple you? Doesn't really make sense if you ask me when looking at geriatric dark-side users like Dooku or Vitiate (though I know he transferred bodies; not all that familiar with him).

Also Sidious announced his "scarred/deformed attack by the jedi" to the senate without his cane, so not sure there either.

Yeah it was to the Senate, but it's not as if he was moving around, plus the years following it'd be logically to assume(to the standard person of the galaxy) that the Emperor's wounds he sustained was catching up to his body, along with his aging.

Dooku didn't really use the dark side as much as Sidious did as far as what I know. Or well in the manner of speaking that Sidious would use it. Plus later years, = more to study and dark side usage, doing all sorts of rituals, studying further the dark side and so on and so forth through his Emperor tenure.

Kurk
So using the dark-side will physically destroy you? A pretty stupidly ironic concept considering many dark-side users fear death more than anything and do whatever they can to avoid it.

Trocity
You are such a loser.

Zenwolf
So using the dark-side will physically destroy you? A pretty stupidly ironic concept considering many dark-side users fear death more than anything and do whatever they can to avoid it.

Well yeah, there has to be some drawback. They are seeking a path to easy power.

Of course it's not immediate, but will eventually show. You get stronger and stronger in the dark side, but your body will fail in the long term.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Trocity
You are such a loser. Do not speak about my apprentice like this ever again, weakling.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Trocity
You are such a loser.

Kurk
#notanargument smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile roll eyes (sarcastic)

Beniboybling
But it is true. smile

Kurk
Originally posted by Beniboybling
But it is true. smile what evidence do you have to support it?

Beniboybling
Your posting history. smile

Kurk
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Your posting history. smile be specific otherwise you are delusional by definition

Fated Xtasy
be specific otherwise you are delusional by definition
Darth Bane V Vader

Asking dmb, of all people, for help.

It just speaks of past mental illness. Kurk, we're here to help... This is a safe space

Beniboybling
smile thumb up

Kurk
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Darth Bane V Vader

It just speaks of past mental illness. Kurk, we're here to help... This is a safe space dmb wanks bane as I do Dooku, does he not?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Darth Bane V Vader

If you are arguing Bane>Vader I am the best person to ask for help, wtf does "of all people" mean?

Kurk
If you are arguing Bane>Vader I am the best person to ask for help, wtf does "of all people" mean? right m8 I needed help doing that as I believe bane beats Vader in force .

Fated Xtasy
dmb wanks bane as I do Dooku, does he not?

You're not the best or most knowledgable Dooku wankeruhuh

So no :3

If you are arguing Bane>Vader I am the best person to ask for help, wtf does "of all people" mean?

That's the joke. I'm suggesting that a person with lesser knowledge of Bane, could form a better argument than you :P

Beniboybling
If you are arguing Bane>Vader I am the best person to ask for help, wtf does "of all people" mean? It means you are of low birth, intellect and ethnicity.

S_W_LeGenD

Yes.

You think Count Dooku was at his prime during Episode III?

Vitiate stopped aging after Nathema event.

Kurk
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Yes.

You think Count Dooku was at his prime during Episode III?

Vitiate stopped aging after Nathema event. are you saying Dooku wasn't at his prime by RotS? Obviously the older one gets they're going to deteriorate in physical health more, but how do we differentiate physical aging with pure "rotting" of the body through dark side usage?

The point of this thread was to address sidious 's handicap which doesn't make all that much sense to me.

The source book says that he didn't need it and only did so to appear weak; which I don't understand why a leader would want to.

Disregarding the book, I can only assume sidious used the cane because he would otherwise be unable to sustain himself through the force augmentation for extended periods of time. This would indicate sidious isn't as powerful as he's wanked to be. Sure yoda used a walking stick, but it contained food/nutrients as well as natural anesthetics. Also the Jedi were forbidden from abusing their power for personal gain like that.

Rockydonovang
he needs a cane because he's a pathetic ripple...
that can make dooku a crippled feck from across the effing galaxy

NemeBro
are you saying Dooku wasn't at his prime by RotS? Obviously the older one gets they're going to deteriorate in physical health more, but how do we differentiate physical aging with pure "rotting" of the body through dark side usage?

The point of this thread was to address sidious 's handicap which doesn't make all that much sense to me.

The source book says that he didn't need it and only did so to appear weak; which I don't understand why a leader would want to.

Disregarding the book, I can only assume sidious used the cane because he would otherwise be unable to sustain himself through the force augmentation for extended periods of time. This would indicate sidious isn't as powerful as he's wanked to be. Sure yoda used a walking stick, but it contained food/nutrients as well as natural anesthetics. Also the Jedi were forbidden from abusing their power for personal gain like that. Sidious founded his empire by appearing weak, when he revealed himself to the Republic as a deformed victim of a seemingly unprovoked assassination attempt by Mace Windu, despite the fact that he was obviously still very powerful at this point, as seen when he fought and ultimately defeated Yoda.

Sidious spent countless years posing as a harmless politician on Naboo and later Coruscant. He is a megalomaniac, but he doesn't seem to have any particular desire for people to fear him as this super cool sith badass. He's always favored putting on a facade of harmlessness.

Kurk
Originally posted by NemeBro
Sidious founded his empire by appearing weak, when he revealed himself to the Republic as a deformed victim of a seemingly unprovoked assassination attempt by Mace Windu, despite the fact that he was obviously still very powerful at this point, as seen when he fought and ultimately defeated Yoda.

Sidious spent countless years posing as a harmless politician on Naboo and later Coruscant. He is a megalomaniac, but he doesn't seem to have any particular desire for people to fear him as this super cool sith badass. He's always favored putting on a facade of harmlessness. That makes good sense and all, but why would any charismatic leader want to appear weak? Who would rally around you? I can see why playing the victim is beneficial when starting an empire, but once you have a reign of terror type thing going, it just makes you appear weak.

Think about how we look at North Korea and the media points out things like Kim Jong Un limping, using a cane, obese, etc. They want to spread the image that he's weak.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.