Castlevania (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Netflix has announced that it has greenlit an original animated series based on Konami's Castlevania.

The animated series is being developed by Adventure Time producer Fred Seibert's Frederator Studios, with writing from Warren Ellis, the comic book author behind Transmetropolitan, The Authority, Netwave, and Iron Man: Extremis. Castlevania will be produced by Adi Shankar, the guy behind the Punisher: Dirty Laundry and the Power/Rangers fanfilms that everyone loved for being grimdark, alongside Ellis, Seibert, and Kevin Kolde.

The folks behind Castlevania have already blocked out two seasons, one in 2017 and a second in 2018.

"Castlevania is a Netflix Original Series with Season 1 launching in 2017 and Season 2 in 2018. Furthermore, I personally guarantee that it will end the streak and be the western world's first good video game adaptation," said Shankar.

The series will seemingly star a new Belmont, instead of the one of the existing versions.

"Inspired by the classic video game series, 'Castlevania' is a dark medieval fantasy following the last surviving member of the disgraced Belmont clan, trying to save Eastern Europe from extinction at the hand of Vlad Dracula Tepe himself," reads Netflix' synopsis.

BruceSkywalker
i am very excited to watch

quanchi112
**** yes. Game of Thrones style. I loved the Lords of Shadow game. I have high hopes and want a Legend of Zelda series down the road.

Surtur
Either it will be awful or it will be awesome, there will be no in between with this. Hopefully it turns out well. Though I do find it a very odd choice since the show will no doubt be incredibly expensive to make and it's a bit of a gamble for something based on a game, but hopefully it pays off.

Originally posted by quanchi112
and want a Legend of Zelda series down the road.

3D5tkAUNFa4

ares834
iIMrFnl5NiA

Looks awesome. The fact that this is written by Warren Ellis, gives me great faith that it will be.

marwash22
i'm here for this.

Kazenji
Adi Shankar the producer for this will also be doing a Assassins Creed Netflix series.

carthage
Will definitely be checking this out!

Gotta finish Twin Peaks first though

Dreampanther
Out today!

Impediment
I'll be watching this tonight!

Bashar Teg
four episodes wtf man

carthage
I know I just saw that on Screenrant, Inwas hoping it had more episodes.

BruceSkywalker
i liked this a lot.. however just 4 f^cking episodes... hope the 2nd season will be 13 or more

ares834
What the ****? A mere 4 episodes?!

Damn thing ends when it's basically just beginning to start. Pretty good other than that though. I loved the animation.

carthage
Exposition is a little clunky at times but I liked it Trevor was funny and a good character. Way too short though! Great soundtrack as well

Dreampanther
Ha, came as a surprise to me as well! They could easily have made a 90 minute movie, but I suppose they wanted to gain some experience with the episodic format. Anyway, 7/10. I am an anime fan and I think they missed a few tricks they could have used to make the action more exciting to watch, and the voice actors need some more experience. But the writing was solid with a decent plot and characters interesting enough to make me want to see more.

-K-M-
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i liked this a lot.. however just 4 f^cking episodes... hope the 2nd season will be 13 or more

It will be 8 they said

KingD19
Let me kiss you.

Surtur
Eh, I found the series boring.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by -K-M-
It will be 8 they said

it better be or else stick out tongue

Ridley_Prime
The script for season 2 is completed (loved every minute of the 1st season, though first episode was easily the best IMO), and the producer also wants to do a dark Metroid adaptation next. Hot damn.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
The script for season 2 is completed (loved every minute of the 1st season, though first episode was easily the best IMO), and the producer also wants to do a dark Metroid adaptation next. Hot damn.

Yep. Sadly, we have to wait until 2018 for the next 8 episodes. The first four were pretty much lifted from the developmental hell script from 2007.

Also, the writer didn't like Grant, so he won't be in the storyline. Kinda sad, given that he was the most useful companion in the actual game itself. Alucard was a damn joke and Sypha took hits like cheap glass.

snowdragon
I enjoyed this, very Vampire Hunter D'ish.

Ridley_Prime
Bump. Season 2 was great.

cdtm
It was.

Warren Ellis in top form here.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by snowdragon
I enjoyed this, very Vampire Hunter D'ish.

Ridley_Prime
cYNGDUIBUhE

BruceSkywalker
i enjoy this so looking forward to seeing

cdtm
Horrible timing, this should come out with Halloween.

carthage
Looks great as usual

Ridley_Prime
Finished season 3 last night. Still knocking it out of the park with the last few episodes.

carthage

carthage
excellent season

BruceSkywalker
just started watching season 3.. 1st episode was pretty good

Ridley_Prime
https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1383088111513571328?s=21

Final season huh? mmm

cdtm
Probably for the best, after the first season it gets progressively worse. Season 3 was entirely skippable; as no plot progression happens AT ALL.

Ridley_Prime
Wasn't a big fan of season 2 outside of the main fight scenes, but season 3 I found to be a fun change of pace, even if it was considerably filler. That said, yeah, probably for the best for this to be the last one. Would be down to seeing a show storyline of another Belmont though.

cdtm
Kind of puzzling this gets cancelled while Voltron keeps getting renewed.

Because this is INFINITELY better then that show.

Ridley_Prime
L7iWXfZzEMc

Arachnid1
I'll need to rewatch this. It's been so long I've forgotten most if it.

I'm up for season 4 though.

wakkawakkawakka
Guess its all over now. The animation really went all out this season with Issac and Carmilla along with Trevor vs Death being standouts IMO

Robtard
Seems like the animation style in S4 is different, improved.

Old Man Whirly!
4 episodes in.

cdtm
Fingers crossed this won't be even worse then the abominable season 3.

Old Man Whirly!
A magical show, far better than it deserved to be. It transcended the source material infinitely. It had a redemptive and hopeful ending, who expected that? Love triumphs and good people get what they deserved. Even Lisa and Vlad got a second chance.

cdtm
Up to the last episode or two.

Liked Isaac and Hector's resolution. Thought Hector had the short end of the stick up to now. Don't quite agree with Isaac's logic that Hector was simply an instrument, and therefore blameless... A Nazi officer is an instrument to Hitler, are they blameless?

I mean, Hector did willingly act in despicable ways until Carmella's betrayal.

Also a little confused narratively on why Isaac felt the need to attack them in the first place. He seemed happy enough simply being free, and doing his own thing out in the wild, never a hint of wanting revenge.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by cdtm
Fingers crossed this won't be even worse then the abominable season 3. I enjoyed season 3, especially Isaac and Legion.

emporerpants
This was probably the best thing I've watched in a long, long time. The ending was perfect.

cdtm
Felt like Trevor vs Death was hurt by establishing he was pretty weak compared to Dracula. It's like he sacrificed himself to beat a featless wonder.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I enjoyed season 3, especially Isaac and Legion.

I liked Isaacs arc best over the course of the entire series.

If I have a complaint, its that him fighting felt out of place. He's supposed to forge monsters to fight for him, and use supporting sorcery and cleverness, being a master warrior who looks like he could give Alucard a good fight makes him feel too OP.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by cdtm

If I have a complaint, its that him fighting felt out of place. He's supposed to forge monsters to fight for him, and use supporting sorcery and cleverness, being a master warrior who looks like he could give Alucard a good fight makes him feel too OP.

Well Issac was only able to fight Carmilla at all due to prep work and he still used monsters. Though I haven't played the games so I wouldn't have too much context behind Issac's style either.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by emporerpants
This was probably the best thing I've watched in a long, long time. The ending was perfect. thumb upOriginally posted by cdtm

If I have a complaint, its that him fighting felt out of place. He's supposed to forge monsters to fight for him, and use supporting sorcery and cleverness, being a master warrior who looks like he could give Alucard a good fight makes him feel too OP. Isaacs' arc was the best story.Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Well Issac was only able to fight Carmilla at all due to prep work and he still used monsters. Though I haven't played the games so I wouldn't have too much context behind Issac's style either. thumb up I haven't played the game either.

Robtard
I played the first game as a kid on the NES back in the mid 80's stick out tongue

But I liked this show overall, well done animation imo.

Ridley_Prime
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403385425109061633?s=19

That was fast.

Kazenji
All leading to Symphony of the Night events i hope.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by emporerpants
This was probably the best thing I've watched in a long, long time. The ending was perfect. Strong case for the best animated show of all time imo.

Jmanghan
This is a great show... BUT if they wanted to start from the beginning and go to the end of the Castlevania timeline (which I'm assuming is what they wanted), then they should've started with Lament of Innocence. They make references to Leon but his story is never shown.

They could still do a flashback 2-parter or something, but man, big missed opportunity.

The lines, music, and the way Leon uses the whip on top of being the starting point of the Castlevania timeline would have fit extremely well in the show:
ynazvplAhhk Uc37pD_9IC8

Impediment
I'm pretty sure that Warren Ellis wont be returning as the writer since he's gotten into hot water over sexual harassment charges.

A shame, really. Ellis is a top notch writer.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Impediment
I'm pretty sure that Warren Ellis wont be returning as the writer since he's gotten into hot water over sexual harassment charges.

A shame, really. Ellis is a top notch writer. Yes he is, his novels aren't bad either. I particularly liked crooked little vein. Gun Machine was meh.

cdtm
He's a liberal hack! I read Transmetropolitan or whatever it was called, and all he did was knock down Thatcherism and dog lovers.

At least he went against "Transhumanism" though, that would absolutely NOT fly today.

Ridley_Prime
ONqNEPTPyqU

Ridley_Prime
https://collider.com/castlevania-nocturne-release-date/

Coming sooner than expected.

Ridley_Prime
8F5ODQ22REk

Old Man Whirly!
Looks awesome, even without Ellis.

cdtm
Hopefully will be better then the final few seasons which were honesty abysmal. With a few exceptions.

The series peaked with Dracula's death imo.

Impediment
Ellis deserves to be involved, dammit.

cdtm
Guys a dog hater, hard to feel sympathy for him.

His views are funny though, you should check them out, he essentially acts like me winding up Rob, if the dog lovers were Democrats or Never Trumpers.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Impediment
Ellis deserves to be involved, dammit. Yes, he does!

Robtard
Why they dump Ellis? First seasons were solid and fun.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Why they dump Ellis? First seasons were solid and fun. Ellis has apologised for taking advantage of female fans... nothing I wouldn't do tbh. shifty

Robtard
Ah, he's a toucher.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Ah, he's a toucher. a bit of online too.

Ridley_Prime
_afpwpbKPs0

Old Man Whirly!
Does not look good. sad hope I am wrong.

carthage

Ridley_Prime
They changed her character design and whatnot from the games. I didnt have a problem with her here particularly, but yeah, Nocturne as a whole has been a more divisive adaptation amongst the fandom.

It had its moments during the last few or couple episodes and the ending, but overall a step down from most seasons of the previous show.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.