The Runaways

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



TheVaultDweller
I mentioned it in another thread, but figured I might as well make a new one for it, seeing as it doesn't have one (as far as I am aware). Basically, a show based on the Marvel comic, The Runaways, is in the works, and will be aired on Hulu. The actual Runaways team, as well as members of the Pride, have already been cast:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/810247-marvels-runaways-cast-revealed

http://deadline.com/2017/02/marvels-runaways-kip-pardue-ryan-sands-angel-parker-cast-hulu-pilot-1201907267/

Dreampanther
Nice.

TheVaultDweller
Z6_0dJkjFAM

marwash22
My hopes for this are lower than Trump's approval ratings

TheVaultDweller
The trailers for both this and Cloak & Dagger have been extremely underwhelming. Marvel seems to be floundering a bit on the TV front, with the dismal reception of shows like Inhumans and Iron Fist, The Defenders getting mixed reviews, and now the trailers for the new stuff hardly inspiring confidence. Only thing that still looks promising is The Punisher.

carthage
The Defenders has positive reviews

But yeah they don't look promising

TheVaultDweller
The Defenders did have positive reviews from a lot of places, but it also had plenty of criticism as well. It generally wasn't as well received as DD S1&2, JJ or even LC.

Dreampanther
Started off pretty well, I thought. Spent a bit too much time on the parents for my taste but had to establish them as characters, I suppose, rather than just generic evil parental figures. Hope they focus a bit more on the kids from Ep 4 onward - I got a nice Breakfast Club vibe from them.

Both the writing and directing seemed a step up from Inhumans, at least.

TheVaultDweller
I watched the first episode at a friend's place. Thought it was alright, even if the teen angst vibe got a bit heavy at times. Had enough going for it that I will give it another episode at least.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I watched the first episode at a friend's place. Thought it was alright, even if the teen angst vibe got a bit heavy at times. Had enough going for it that I will give it another episode at least.

Gets a bit better with the teen angst once they start focusing less on Amy's death on more on the freaky shit going on. So far I prefer it to The Gifted where I'd get rid of everyone except Blink and Proudstar and get someone else to direct it.

wakkawakkawakka
I'm kind of surprised to see the somewhat positive reception behind this. Especially since the show is 3 episodes in and the characters still haven't actually "ran away" yet.

That and there isn't any really path to connect with any of the characters as, aside from there parents, they've yet to move beyond the rich LA millennial kids. Even the one mutant in the show doesn't have much to warrant investment as of now IMO.

tkitna
First 3 episodes were awesome in my opinion. I'm hooked.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I'm kind of surprised to see the somewhat positive reception behind this. Especially since the show is 3 episodes in and the characters still haven't actually "ran away" yet.

That and there isn't any really path to connect with any of the characters as, aside from there parents, they've yet to move beyond the rich LA millennial kids. Even the one mutant in the show doesn't have much to warrant investment as of now IMO.

Eh, I personally haven't enjoyed it as much as some others seemed to have, but I thought it was alright. Definitely a step up from Inhumans. My biggest gripe is them focusing on a few things that I don't really give two shits about (like which parents are secretly banging behind their partners' backs). But hey, maybe that thread will have a payoff down the line.

I am curious to see the approach they are going to take with the Staff of One. Seems magic-y so far, but also slightly different to the comics.

I do find the positive critical reception kind of amusing, considering one of the writers on this was also a writer on Iron Fist, and we know what the critics thought of that.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I do find the positive critical reception kind of amusing, considering one of the writers on this was also a writer on Iron Fist, and we know what the critics thought of that.

Personally, my biggest problem with Iron Fist wasn't the writing: It was the fact they got someone who had never set foot in a dojo to play arguably the greatest martial artist in the Marvelverse and he was so awkward and unconvincing I wanted to skip his fighting scenes - and ffs, if you don't want to watch Iron Fist for the fighting scenes then really, what's the point?

carthage
No thanks to this crap

Surtur
Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.

Well, they are pretty much all in charge of big companies/projects, which gives their kids the rich lifestyle they live. But no, it's more than just run-of-the-mill corrupt business people. They actually went pretty much all in, and even added Old Lace, the genetically engineered dinosaur.

Dr Will Hatch
I'm a huge fan of the comics and therefore was really scared to watch this show because I thought they would fu.ck it up, and it turned out my fears were justified. This show bears almost nothing in common with the comic. For me, this show is just as bad of an adaptation as The Dark Tower movie was for that book series.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Surtur
Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.


Yeah, they fu.cked up a lot. The parents pose no resemblance to how they were in the comics. The only good one is James Marsters and the guy who plays Alex's dad. The rest suck.

Dreampanther
Ha, TOAA finally made his appearance in The Runaways this week.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.