Empire's End (Spoilers & Discussion)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
I've been reading through spoilers for the book and I think I finally have a solid grasp on the relevant aspects.

Palpatine instituted various observatories and warehouses of Sith artifacts throughout his reign. The most important of these was on Jakku.

The Jakku Observatory seems to be important for two reasons:

1.) Jakku was the jumping-off point into the Unknown Regions. Palpatine was obsessed with the Unknown Regions (as explained later).

2.) A Force nexus of uber proportions dwelled within the heart of Jakku. Mysteriously, most of it was already used up. I'm not sure why.

Palpatine put in place a plan, called the Contingency, if he would ever die. Surprisingly, Palpatine admitted that he could die, even noting a shatterpoint in his plans shortly before the Battle of Endor (i.e. Luke Skywalker). The Contingency called for the destruction of both the Galactic Empire and New Republic fleets to ensure the destabilization of the galaxy. Palpatine essentially believed that, if he were to ever die, everything should die with him, and all that remains should be "scavengers and the scum." To achieve this plan, an enforcer of Palpatine, Gallius Rax, would conduct a Sith ritual that involved throwing a Sith holocron into the core of Jakku's planet. This would initiate the destruction of the planet, which in return would destroy the New Republic and Galactic Empire fleets and armies on and around the world (so, of course, the plan also involved luring both factions to the planet in the first place). Obviously, this plan failed and Rax was killed. The extent of corruption in the core of Jakku is unknown to me, however.

Referring back to the first point, I'll just directly quote: "The Emperor was convinced that something waited for him out there - some origin of the Force, some dark presence formed of malevolent substance. He said he could feel the waves of it radiating out now that the way was clear. The Emperor called it a signal - conveniently one that only he could hear. Even his greatest enforcer, Vader, seemed oblivious to it, and Vader also claimed mastery over the dark force, did he not? Rax believed Palpatine had gone mad."

I find it likely that this dark-side presence is Snoke. In early books, it was revealed that the Emperor was mysteriously sending Imperials into the Unknown Regions. I believe he wanted them to investigate this dark power, but I do not believe any returned back. To me, it seems that both Palpatine and Snoke are locked in a stalemate. Snoke wants Palpatine to come to him in the comfort of his own home (i.e. the Unknown Regions), but obviously isn't confident enough to openly challenge Palpatine in the galactic theater (i.e. the known galaxy). In return, Palpatine is probing around to investigate Snoke, but doesn't want to walk blindly into the Unknown Regions and be killed.

At the end of Empire's End, an Imperial Remnant travels to investigate what Palpatine sensed in the Unknown Regions on board the Eclipse. Meanwhile, I believe the greater Galactic Empire surrenders to the New Republic, which happens to be the day that Ben Solo is born. Among those present on the Eclipse is the father of Hux, the commander of Starkiller Base in The Force Awakens. The presence of future First Order officers on the Eclipse, going into space where the First Order will eventually emerge out of, whom are all currently looking for some dark-side entity, seems to confirm Snoke (in my eyes) is the entity telepathically communicating with Palpatine.

I'm not sure all my facts here are right (correct me where I'm wrong), but this should be the general gist of it. Thoughts?

relentless1
sounds cool, when is this book supposed to be out? any material involving the Emperor is usually gold.

DarthAnt66
Tomorrow.

ares834
Sounds like shot like the rest of the aftermath books.

I also doubt that the presence is Snoke. Based on the novelization and the film, it seems as if both Han and Leia are personally familiar with Snoke and that he was around when Ben Solo was being trained. If he is some eldrich being I doubt it would play out this mundane. Far more likely that Snoke was given these powers by whatever exists outside.

Rockydonovang
You forgot when r2d2 finished off the empire....
Oh we're talking the reboot trilogy version

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by ares834
Sounds like shot like the rest of the aftermath books.

I also doubt that the presence is Snoke. Based on the novelization and the film, it seems as if both Han and Leia are personally familiar with Snoke and that he was around when Ben Solo was being trained. If he is some eldrich being I doubt it would play out this mundane. Far more likely that Snoke was given these powers by whatever exists outside.
Then why did only Palpatine sense this dark force and not Vader also? mmm The dark force seems to be specifically calling him and no one else.

I also agree that the plot will involve some dark side site (assuming that's what you're getting at), but I would imagine Snoke is Snoke by this time already.

Fated Xtasy
Cool story. Wonder where they're going here

ares834
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Then why did only Palpatine sense this dark force and not Vader also? mmm The dark force seems to be specifically calling him and no one else.

I also agree that the plot will involve some dark side site (assuming that's what you're getting at), but I would imagine Snoke is Snoke by this time already.

Because Vader isn't a pure dark sider; the light was always buried deep within him.

And I'm not sure if it's a site or some being. I just find it unlikely that Snoke is the source.

Darth Abonis
Just finished reading it. Didn't much care for it, but the ending was good.

The_Tempest
Decent book with a cool third act.

Petrus
Ant, your sig would be way cooler without the massive "DarthAnt66", tbh.

MythLord
Fascinating.

ares834

Zenwolf
Wait, wait...what?...

The_Tempest
The end of the book says Jakku was worse. Contextually, it was in that it was truly the final battle.

Cosmically, Endor was infinitely more important.

carthage
Disney hasn't been doing shit with Luke since Shattered Empire

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The_Tempest
The end of the book says Jakku was worse. Contextually, it was in that it was truly the final battle.

Mmm....I suppose.

ares834

Well, if that was Wendig's intent, he certainly ****ed it up.

"Now an even greater loss at Jakku was the final wound."

I mean it's obviously a bunch of bull shit. I just found it funny.

Originally posted by carthage
Disney hasn't been doing shit with Luke since Shattered Empire

Yeah, it's pissing me off. This is the "Thrawn trilogy" of the nuCanon and Luke doesn't even make an appearance. Ugh.

Rockydonovang

Nah, Disney's just hellbent on making Rotj pointless

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.