Is there a serious problem with our MSM?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
Given this "war on the media" that is unfolding around us, I wonder what people think about the statement that there is a serious serious problem with our media?

It's no doubt there are some in this country who agree, but there are others who seem to think that obviously while it could certainly use some improvement..it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

So is there a serious serious problem here with our mainstream media?

Robtard
The 'war on the media' is just a distraction used by the current administration. Look how they'll condemn one outlet and praise another, despite the media outlet they're praising has had evident issues with pushing bogus material and/or an agenda.

Curious, what do you consider the MSM to be, at least it's key players.

Flyattractor
I say YES. Big prob is the Leftist Media declared WAR on the Right a very long, long time ago. Long before Trump made a stand and decided to FIGHT BACK!

PUNCH THOSE LEFTIES IN THE NOSE TRUMPMIESTER!!!!!!

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
The 'war on the media' is just a distraction used by the current administration. Look how they'll condemn one outlet and praise another, despite the media outlet they're praising has had evident issues with pushing bogus material and/or an agenda.

It's why I put it in quotes, but this isn't the first administration to treat certain outlets like shit(see our prior administration and FOX). On top of that, it doesn't actually tell us if there is or is not a serious problem.

Biggest players seem to be places like CNN, NBC, FOX. Then you have other outlets, like the New York Times. Washington Post has to be included as well I'd say.

Those are far from the only ones.

IMO, when I see stuff like what NBC did with those kids..and other stuff like CNN insinuating Trump caused the Sweden riots(or the shit they pulled with the Milwaukee riots) I see serious problems and those are only a few things that happened in the last 3-6 months.

There are also problems though because a relatively unknown news outlet(thus not normally part of the mainstream) or an outlet that usually isn't taken seriously..if they have the right article, that stuff can end up getting shared a lot. Look at Buzzfeed, total shit..but how many outlets pounced on the Russian dossier news? I don't see Buzzfeed as part of the MSM, but their one article sure as hell went mainstream. So did they temporarily become a part of the mainstream..at least concerning that article?

You also didn't answer: is there a serious problem with the MSM?

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
It's why I put it in quotes, but this isn't the first administration to treat certain outlets like shit(see our prior administration and FOX). On top of that, it doesn't actually tell us if there is or is not a serious problem.

Biggest players seem to be places like CNN, NBC, FOX. Then you have other outlets, like the New York Times. Washington Post has to be included as well I'd say.

IMO, when I see stuff like what NBC did with those kids..and other stuff like CNN insinuating Trump caused the Sweden riots(or the shit they pulled with the Milwaukee riots) I see serious problems and those are only a few things that happened in the last 3-6 months.

There are also problems though because a relatively unknown news outlet(thus not normally part of the mainstream) or an outlet that usually isn't taken seriously..if they have the right article, that stuff can end up getting shared a lot. Look at Buzzfeed, total shit..but how many outlets pounced on the Russian dossier news? I don't see Buzzfeed as part of the MSM, but their one article sure as hell went mainstream. So did they temporarily become a part of the mainstream..at least concerning that article?

Conflating the critics Obama levied at Fox News over eight years compared to the scorched earth war the Trump admin is pushing against "the media" is silly and dishonest.

I'd say no, there isn't a serious problem taking it in as a whole. The biggest fake news spreaders tends to be from fringe outlets and sites like Breibart.

Robtard

Conflating the critics Obama levied at Fox News over eight years compared to the scorched earth war the Trump admin is pushing against "the media" is silly and dishonest. Remember, we're only starting our second month of Trump Co.

I'd say no, there isn't a serious problem taking it in as a whole. The biggest fake news spreaders tends to be from fringe outlets and sites like Breibart.

Surtur
I'm simply pointing out this wasn't the first administration to treat an outlet like shit. Which isn't an untrue statement.

Robtard
Correct, Trump's admin is not. And what I said, which was the reason you brought it up, to mitigate away. Can we not play these games for once? Thanks.

Surtur
Correct, Trump's admin is not. And what I said, which was the reason you brought it up, to mitigate away. Can we not play these games for once? Thanks.

Nobody is playing games but you it seems. I point out it's not the first administration to treat the press badly. Made no mention of time frames or anything like that. You felt you had to run and defend the Obama administration.

Yep, it's been only a month and yep, they've gone after Trump way way harder than Obama.

So indeed, we need not play games, but something tells me this won't be the last we hear of this.

Robtard
I'll take that as a negative. Oh well.

Surtur
I'll take that as a negative. Oh well.

If you didn't want games being played, why play them?

Bashar Teg
sure whirly was trolling, but he brought up a question which crosses my mind often. do you have a job, surt? a bit of a derailment, i admit. however since the topic is just more purely hypocritical whiney nonsense, i kinda feel justified in asking.

BackFire
I think the biggest issue arises from the proliferation of the 24 hour news networks, and thus the 24 hour news cycle that now exists. The three big news stations all must cover something over the course of a day, even if there isn't anything particularly important or news worthy going on, and so you see them exaggerating stories constantly and talking about relatively unimportant things for hours and hours. You see constant "breaking news" alerts for practically nothing. Also because each network is competing not only with the other networks, but websites, they sometimes rush their stories, which increases the likelihood of making a mistake and getting something wrong.

There's also a problem with all of these networks being first and foremost entertainment, and conveying actual news and information a far distant second, as far as priorities go. They want as many eyeballs as possible, and so they'll talk about whatever they can to get those eyeballs, even if it's something superfluous. Of course, this also enhances their partisanship, they are all going for a specific audience, and don't want to lose that audience, so they will generally report things in a way that reinforces their audience's bias, telling them only what they want to hear as much as they possibly can.

The bias that exists in the media isn't new, though. There have always been left leaning and right leaning publications. The partisanship is worse now in that regard, but it's worse in pretty much every aspect of society, it's not unique to the media.

So yeah, there are problems, but they're pretty easy to avoid - just don't watch the 24 hour news networks. There are plenty of good news websites out there to get decent news and information.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
sure whirly was trolling, but he brought up a question which crosses my mind often. do you have a job, surt? a bit of a derailment, i admit. however since the topic is just more purely hypocritical whiney nonsense, i kinda feel justified in asking.

No, I no longer work due to health reasons.

Anyways, what do you make of this story:

O'Keefe Drops "Bombshell" Undercover Footage From Within CNN

Admittedly it's from O'Keefe, but he's actually providing the footage and apparently asking for help from others in sifting through it so..I dunno, I am curious. I could post a new topic for it, but I feel it could be justified discussing it here.

Surtur
Not saying the audio is automatically true though, I have no clue. Could just be some kind of stunt by this guy.

Robtard
No, I no longer work due to health reasons.

Assuming you're receiving government assistance(?), as someone who has worked steadily and paid taxes since I was fifteen years old, you're welcome.

Surtur
Nothing about the O' Keefe thing?

Robtard
Didn't click the link yet.

Are you on the ACA as well?

Bashar Teg

Bashar Teg

Surtur
Yeah, I was forced to get on the ACA. Also yep: I have no problem with Trump wanting to repeal and replace it or repair it.

Robtard
So you are on that dreaded "Obamacare!" LoL, dude. This gets sadder and sadder.

Surtur
So you are on that dreaded "Obamacare!" LoL, dude. This gets sadder and sadder.

I never said it was dreaded, I simply said I have no problem if Trump wants to repeal and replace it.

Adam_PoE
Yeah, I was forced to get on the ACA. Also yep: I have no problem with Trump wanting to repeal and replace it or repair it.

Did you purchase private insurance on GetCoveredIllinois.gov or are you on Medicaid?

If you are collecting SSDI, you are either receiving a subsidy for your private insurance or getting free healthcare through Medicaid.

You, more than anyone, should be concerned about what happens to the ACA.

Those of us with group insurance through our employers will be largely unaffected.

Robtard
Prepare yourself to possibly have to make a choice between encompassing medical coverage or your weed/alcohol, Surtur.

Bashar Teg

so you really are the ultimate hypocrite. well i better get back to work so that i can help pay for your lifestyle, freeloader druggie troll.

Beniboybling
freeloader druggie troll. hue hue

Surtur
Don't judge me just because I am disabled and on welfare and don't pay my taxes. Walk a mile in my shoes bro, walk a mile in my shoes.

Bashar Teg
Don't judge me just because I am disabled and on welfare and don't pay my taxes. Walk a mile in my shoes bro, walk a mile in my shoes.

i've never committed disability fraud, so i cannot begin to relate.

Surtur
i've never committed disability fraud, so i cannot begin to relate.

Come on now Bash everybody commits a little fraud every now and then.

shiv
Take downs. Ommissions. Exclusions. Special Interest.

I was in a discussion on the coverage of a natural disaster relief effort.

The cameras on national networks were showing american and british aircraft landing with aid.

Friends in Germany & Dubai observed how the images they were seeing (their camera feed) was not being edited to show only fins and wings of selective allied craft.

Friends in Dubai were saying oh wow Country X has sent aid. Their aeroplane is unloading in the landing bay right next to that cargo aeroplane from The U.K. / from The U.S.
Verified by friends watching in Germany.

At the time, MSM were pushing the angle: Country X is Bad.

I have a friend who, in-between her day job was making waves on a national scale.

Absolutely nobody at the company had a clue.

Like: Seriously: No One.

Nobody at the company or at the press office at head office picked up on it.
It woud have been great publicity for the company.
It would also have been strong positive publicity for fem media.
But nothing.

Just one front page headline in one minority weekly.

She led and organised a national protest which got praise from the state police commissioner + had the country's highest ranking police commissioner inviting her to speak at the capital.

This got 0% coverage. Like absolutely zero. On tv, On national Radio, In the daily papers. Zero.

The fem magazines weren't interested.
Just 1 minority report. On a natonal issue.

But when there was a wtflol incident (involving our business premises, (a client and an animal under her care) that got the attention of the local paper and was picked up by every global news agency and reported world wide as an omg-whoaa-wtf-lol news story.

Last year on a major network They had people talking about Trump versus Latinas.

They got 1 latina woman who was pro Trump. When she started to say... "Well actually, for me as a latina, the top 4 issues in this election are... "

And the news anchor was like.. "Thank You >name here< That's all we have time for!"

So I went to look for videos of latin americans talking about why they were voting for Trump.

And I was like: Whoa

As for takedowns. Watch how many times Jeff Bezos's daily rag publishes articles in favor of Trump.

On the rare occasions one gets past the Editor.

Clock how long it stays up before: "The page you were looking for is no longer available."

Cassie Jaye's struggle:

https://twitter.com/Cassie_Jaye/status/833752643243692032

https://twitter.com/Cassie_Jaye/status/832333061194911744

Take Downs. Ommissions. Exclusions. Special Interest.

All this fake news stuff is a diversion.

Oh Btw Surtur:

Hi.

dadudemon

Come on, man. Why would you take hypocritical potshots like this at someone just because you have political disagreements?

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
I think the biggest issue arises from the proliferation of the 24 hour news networks, and thus the 24 hour news cycle that now exists. The three big news stations all must cover something over the course of a day, even if there isn't anything particularly important or news worthy going on, and so you see them exaggerating stories constantly and talking about relatively unimportant things for hours and hours. You see constant "breaking news" alerts for practically nothing. Also because each network is competing not only with the other networks, but websites, they sometimes rush their stories, which increases the likelihood of making a mistake and getting something wrong.

There's also a problem with all of these networks being first and foremost entertainment, and conveying actual news and information a far distant second, as far as priorities go. They want as many eyeballs as possible, and so they'll talk about whatever they can to get those eyeballs, even if it's something superfluous. Of course, this also enhances their partisanship, they are all going for a specific audience, and don't want to lose that audience, so they will generally report things in a way that reinforces their audience's bias, telling them only what they want to hear as much as they possibly can.

The bias that exists in the media isn't new, though. There have always been left leaning and right leaning publications. The partisanship is worse now in that regard, but it's worse in pretty much every aspect of society, it's not unique to the media.

So yeah, there are problems, but they're pretty easy to avoid - just don't watch the 24 hour news networks. There are plenty of good news websites out there to get decent news and information.

Oh, look, the only intelligent and well-thought-out post in the thread. Yes, this is the correct perspective. And The Media is always chasing the controversial story. The more controversial and shocking, the better. Americans are addicted to bullshit and non-news news.

And there are definitely great news outlets. I think staying away from Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc....stay away from them all. Huff Po and Wa Po...LA Times...rubbish.

Keep da faith!
Originally posted by dadudemon
Come on, man. Why would you take hypocritical potshots like this at someone just because you have political disagreements?

Because when the hypothetical potshot is proven, which it has been, the individual's character is revealed DDM.

Surtur

My feelings were really hurt and I just feel very insecure about being disabled now.

jaden101
BmksM8gNcQA

This is what you get when even the reporters can't hide their boredom at having to fill time with non news. This case being the birth of Prince George

Surtur
Even people in this country were losing their shit over the ability of rich royals to procreate.

jaden101
Even people in this country were losing their shit over the ability of rich royals to procreate.

Very ironic if it's republicans with a small r

shiv

dadudemon
Originally posted by Keep da faith!
Because when the hypothetical potshot is proven, which it has been, the individual's character is revealed DDM.

I posted "hypocritical", not hypothetical because Bashar is being hypocritical.

Also, there is a joke that you're not getting. I'll PM you.

BackFire
Oh, look, the only intelligent and well-thought-out post in the thread. Yes, this is the correct perspective. And The Media is always chasing the controversial story. The more controversial and shocking, the better. Americans are addicted to bullshit and non-news news.

And there are definitely great news outlets. I think staying away from Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc....stay away from them all. Huff Po and Wa Po...LA Times...rubbish.

The best news sources that I've found seem to be Reuters, NPR.com, bbc.com and NBCnews.com. What's interesting is at times how different some of the websites are from their TV/radio sister stations that share the same name. CNN.com seems to be much better than the actual TV station. And NPR on the radio is pretty left leaning, but their website is very solid with good reporting. Reuters overall seems to be the best of the bunch.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
The best news sources that I've found seem to be Reuters, NPR.com, bbc.com and NBCnews.com. What's interesting is at times how different some of the websites are from their TV/radio sister stations that share the same name. CNN.com seems to be much better than the actual TV station. And NPR on the radio is pretty left leaning, but their website is very solid with good reporting. Reuters overall seems to be the best of the bunch.

Yes, I've been happy with NPR but I had no idea about Reuters...I'll start reading their news more. Thanks for the rec.

Flyattractor
NPR needs to stop being a Commie Leach and stop taking tax payer money to broadcast their Leftist Agenda. Go out and get their Nazi Socialist Big Money Sympathizers to bank roll them.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Flyattractor
NPR needs to stop being a Commie Leach and stop taking tax payer money to broadcast their Leftist Agenda. Go out and get their Nazi Socialist Big Money Sympathizers to bank roll them.

Dude...are you high off your balls or something?

You should probably sign out, sober up, take a nap, eat something healthy, then consider signing back in.

jaden101

You should probably sign out, sober up, take a nap, eat something healthy, then consider taking a header off a high building onto some high voltage power lines

Fixed that for you 👍

Flyattractor
I would only jump off a building if I knew I would land on Jaden....cause he is a big fattie.

Nephthys
The "serious problem" is called Donald Trump.

You should probably sign out, sober up, take a nap, eat something healthy, then consider signing back in.

No, he's always like that.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Nephthys

No, he's always like that.

Yes. I am just more then all you Leftist Ninnie Stick in the Muds.

Nephthys
More what?

jaden101
I would only jump off a building if I knew I would land on Jaden....cause he is a big fattie.

Word is you like getting on top of men.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Nephthys
More what?

Not surprised Neppy don't know the definition of a word like "FUN"!!!! But then he/she/it is a Ninnie Stick in the mud.

Originally posted by jaden101
Word is you like getting on top of men.

Oh just you fat boy....Just YOU!

Love that Warm Hot Chocolate PUDDING!!

chingchangwalla
Christ. There has always been a problem with the media, only now are people shedding light on it.

dadudemon

Doesn't matter.

He has absurdly giant, muscular calves, that are larger than many weightlifters quads.

He's like batman. If you jumped on him, don't worry, he can take it. no expression

Surtur
Ohh Trump. He's going to give us the most batshit insane 4 years ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.