DC Comics TV shows have bad costume design

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



roughrider
Am I right?

Watching again some action from Arrow, I got reminded how sh***y the costume design for the heroes is, on virtually all the shows (non-superhero shows like Lucifer are the exception, but instead is coated with Jerry Bruckheimer's usual all-glossy-surface-no-depth production.)

Oliver Queen is a possible exception; he's got greater detail on his outfit and isn't trying to be a walking comic book. But I can't stand to look at TV Superman's outfit (that cape just bugs me), and virtually all the rest on Arrow, Legends Of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and anyone who cameos on Powerless. And this has been going on since the days of Smallville (look back at those costumes and try not to wince at the cheesiness.)

But it's TV, they don't have the movie budget you say (And I think the costume design for DC movies is just fine, BTW.) But contrast them with the Marvel shows. The more real approach at Marvel is much better, and if it's not important that a character has a costume, Marvel gets around it.

It's like the DC TV universe is trying to be a live action cartoon - like Bruce Timm's shared universe brought to life - rather than just being live action.

carthage
DC shows are inferior across the board to Marvel's.

Also if you want a laugh look at Supergirls bargain bin costume of Cyborg Superman and Arrows Deadshot. They look like ****ing shit

Inhuman
I want to start watching all the CW DC shows but I always get the feeling it will be the usual teen drama CW show with super heroes.

Ridley_Prime
The costume for Deathstroke (Arrow S2) was pretty spot on, and Katana in Arrow S3 looked very much like the one in the Suicide Squad film to a T. Those are about the only exceptional examples I can think of though for the CWverse. Mostly everything else is cheap leather in some form, but if the episodes of said shows are otherwise enjoyable, it doesn't usually take away from the experience for me that much.

wakkawakkawakka
You don't like cheap leather costumes?! What's wrong with you people?

roughrider
I think the worst has to be every live action version of Hawkman. The actor always looks ridiculous.

Arachnid1
We'll have to agree to disagree:

http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:131109?quality=0.8&format=jpg&width=1440&height=810&.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/c/c5/Reverseflash.png/revision/latest?cb=20160305074253

riv6672
Originally posted by roughrider
Am I right?
No.

TheVaultDweller
If you want to see absolutely awful comic costumes, look at the 1997 Justice League failed pilot.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Justice-League-movie-970x545.jpg

roughrider
Originally posted by carthage
DC shows are inferior across the board to Marvel's.

Also if you want a laugh look at Supergirls bargain bin costume of Cyborg Superman and Arrows Deadshot. They look like ****ing shit

when I saw what Red Tornado looked like on Supergirl, all I could think was how much he looked like s***.

Surtur
Both can be bad. Yeah, I'm looking RIGHT AT YOU Luke Cages brother wearing ridiculous looking power armor.

TheVaultDweller
To be fair, that costume was inspired by a 70s Diamondback look.

http://download-tv.com/uploads/posts/2016-10/thumbs/14755933778luke-cage-easter-eggs-diamondbacks-classic-costume.jpeg

However, the writers had enough sense to realise Luke's 70s costume did not translate well, so no idea why they went forward with this one.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by roughrider
when I saw what Red Tornado looked like on Supergirl, all I could think was how much he looked like s***.
Kinda. Parasite in the show looked cool though imo, although different.

staxamillion
cyborg superman, vibe, mr. terrific all sh!te

Ridley_Prime
To be fair, it wasn't even Cyborg Superman; it was Cyborg Henshaw.

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
To be fair, that costume was inspired by a 70s Diamondback look.

http://download-tv.com/uploads/posts/2016-10/thumbs/14755933778luke-cage-easter-eggs-diamondbacks-classic-costume.jpeg

However, the writers had enough sense to realise Luke's 70s costume did not translate well, so no idea why they went forward with this one.

I just choose to believe whoever made the armor personally hated Diamondback and thus chose to make him wear that.

roughrider
Originally posted by Surtur
I just choose to believe whoever made the armor personally hated Diamondback and thus chose to make him wear that.

It was Hammertech, which is the opposite of Starktech in that it looks...not cool.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.