Black Lightning (CW)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
So, looks like CW is further expanding its DC-verse. Along with Constantine getting an animated show on CW Seed, a Black Lighting project is also in the works:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/24/black-lightning-cress-williams-cast-as-the-dc-superhero-in-berlanticw-series

Surtur
Good, DC is cultivating a nice little TV universe.

roughrider
If it doesn't cross over with the movie universe, I don't care.

Are they really going to use such a racially charged name? It's outdated.

Surtur
In the same universe you got a white chick whose name is White Canary.

BruceSkywalker
not high on the actor who was cast

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by roughrider
If it doesn't cross over with the movie universe, I don't care.
:/ In spite of its faults, the CWverse is still better than the Synderverse.

Surtur
Also when it comes to superhero tv shows DC blows Marvel right out of the water.

Marvel can take some super heroes from comics and mark some dark gritty and interesting shows, but they don't feel like super hero shows. The DC stuff does.

carthage
Agreed I prefer teenage drama, bad costumes, melodrama, and mediocre acting compared to the MCU hiring actual actors, creating great character dramas, and having interesting situations outside of X character hooking up with Y character and constant relationship issues.

Clearly Daredevil and Legion can't compare with Arrow and Flash

Ridley_Prime
Not all the costumes are bad, but unfortunately the good ones (Deathstroke and such) are the exception rather than the norm. Despite some of the drama and acting, some shows like Flash tend to feel quite quirky comic book-y enough in its own right, but really depends on the kind of tone you prefer, between that and the grimdarkness of Daredevil and the like. I enjoy both, but they're too different to really compare that much.

As for Legion, it's okay. Starting to like it more, but it's easily the least identifiable as a superhero show, especially if you don't know who like Xavier's son is.
edit: And it's not part of the MCU, but Fox's universe, I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong.

roughrider
Originally posted by Surtur
Also when it comes to superhero tv shows DC blows Marvel right out of the water.

Marvel's Netflix shows alone crush any DC shows.

TheVaultDweller
Comparing the Marvel Netflix shows to the CW DC-verse is a bit problematic, as one is darker, gritty, R-rated, and aimed at a more mature audience, whereas the other isn't. Well, Arrow tries to be gritty, but mostly fails in that regard. Out of all the shows, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow feel the most comicbook-y. At least IMO. Though Daredevil season 2 also had a distinctly comic book feel to me, personally.

Ridley_Prime
And we have Gotham for the DC TV grittiness, which in some regards I like better than most of the other shows.

But yeah. thumb up

roughrider
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
And we have Gotham for the DC TV grittiness, which in some regards I like better than most of the other shows.

But yeah. thumb up

My problem with Gotham is that it's a Batman show without Batman.

People getting all excited about the rise of some villains from the supporting cast - it doesn't matter so much to me, because Bruce is still a kid and can't do what he normally does.

If they had instead done an adaption of Gotham Central and just had stories where Batman is off screen and it's the daily lives of detectives under Gordon - that is something I could follow for a few seasons.

Surtur
Originally posted by carthage
Agreed I prefer teenage drama, bad costumes, melodrama, and mediocre acting compared to the MCU hiring actual actors, creating great character dramas, and having interesting situations outside of X character hooking up with Y character and constant relationship issues.

Clearly Daredevil and Legion can't compare with Arrow and Flash

Lol as super hero shows no they really can't compete, and that's not even debatable IMO. Legion starts out slow as f*ck, gets interesting, but he is NOT a super hero. It's not a super hero show.

Flash is a super hero show. The last episode had them fighting telepathic sentient gorilla's in another universe. That is comic craziness, those are true super hero type stuff. He's fought man sharks and holographic giant monsters, traveled through time, actually has helped save the world, etc.

Daredevil beats up drug dealers and gangsters mostly. Jessica Jones went after a single lone crazed super powered villain.

So for instance, if I'm a fan of silver age comics, would you recommend me Daredevil? Nah, you would not.

As for the bad costumes, yeah, totes:

http://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/diamondback-green-hammertech-suit-luke-cage-1.jpg

staxamillion
the DC shows do seem more like a comic book than the marvel shows but the marvel shows IMO are just better shows in general. so yeah I agree sometimes you DO want to see some of the craziness like the shark guy or Grodd... I bet if marvel could make it not cheesy looking they would do more stuff like that. I like the contrast

Surtur
Exactly. Sometimes you just wanna see a guy punch a sentient telepathic ape in the face. Sometimes you want dark gritty stuff.

Digi
Yeah, comparing CW to Netflix Marvel stuff is pretty dumb. One is throwing CGI sharks at us for sh*ts and giggles. The other...is basically doing the opposite. Apples and oranges.

Flash is still a lot of fun. Happy I'm sticking with it. The crossover was great, and also had good ratings, which is a good sign. I'm guessing we'll see more crossovers in the future.

As for Black Lightning...the Flash is the only CW I stuck with. So this will have to really be something to push me back into a 2nd show. But CW does not lack for effort with their super-verse, which has always been one of their best qualities.

tkitna
Originally posted by roughrider
Marvel's Netflix shows alone crush any DC shows.

Marvels Netflix shows are better than most DC big theater offerings let alone that drivel that the CW puts out.

carthage
trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY

The show isn't connected to the Arrowverse either.

marwash22
lmao.

nah man.

TheVaultDweller
That trailer looked cheesy as f***. Action sequences didn't look too bad overall, in terms of choreography, but that can't carry a show.

-Pr-
Originally posted by carthage
trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY

The show isn't connected to the Arrowverse either.

Pretty much exactly what I expected. Not sure if that's good or bad.

BIG mistake not connecting it to Arrow though, imo.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by -Pr-
Pretty much exactly what I expected. Not sure if that's good or bad.

BIG mistake not connecting it to Arrow though, imo.

They will probably claim it's an alternate Earth later down the line if the show doesn't do well on its own.

marwash22
they didn't even get the lightning effects correct.

looks like complete shit.

TheVaultDweller
It looked a lot like the Livewire lightning from Supergirl, which doesn't look great either. Which is weird, considering the Flash's lightning effects usually look pretty good. Like I mentioned before, the actual fight choreography doesn't look too bad (about on par with Arrow and the other shows) but that won't save it. I will still likely end up watching at least the pilot episode though, but this trailer did not inspire confidence.

Ridley_Prime
Aside from the epic cheesiness of this as pointed out (think I'll just casually check out the pilot and then pass on watching it as a whole), kinda makes me feel more strongly that they should've went with Static Shock as a show over someone lesser known like Black Lightening. I mean even if they didn't have the budget to show Static always flying around electrically on a trashcan lid, I get the feeling I'd still be more invested in it than this here.

TheVaultDweller
So, read a few articles from the last week or so. And there are indeed plans to cross this over with the Arrowverse at some point. Not immediately, but the showrunner said that it is definitely something they plan on doing eventually. And there are also suggestions that they are planning on introducing Static Shock as well.

Dreampanther
Premier Tuesday.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/images/shows/cw20171212a.jpg

BruceSkywalker
wonder how long until this is part of Arrowverse

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Premier Tuesday.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/images/shows/cw20171212a.jpg

Sadly, given what we've seen from the other latest seasons of CW shows, I expect this is going to be full of cringe (you guys know what I am talking about).

Ridley_Prime

Ridley_Prime

marwash22
Against my better judgement, I watched the pilot and had my thoughts about it confirmed... straight trash.

unlike recent 'Arrow' or 'Legends', etc., this one pisses me off because Black Lightning is one of the few characters we have, and now with this, the CW has given us shitty Black Lightning and shitty Mr. Terrific.

fck off, CW.

Dreampanther
Action was entertaining but there's more drama than a Jerry Springer show. Another superhero show I'll watch for a week or two before I drop it.

Surtur
At this point they're just tossing any super hero show at the wall they can and hoping anything will stick.

TheVaultDweller
I tried to watch the first few minutes. But I was immediately bothered by something rather unexpected. And that is the horrible posture of the lead actor. Seriously, straighten your neck, you lazy f***. He looks like he is actively trying to scrunch up or make himself look smaller half the time.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Action was entertaining but there's more drama than a Jerry Springer show. Another superhero show I'll watch for a week or two before I drop it.

Yeah, from what I did see, the action sequences didn't seem too bad (which I commented on with the trailers as well). But fight choreography alone isn't enough. Otherwise, I would just constantly watch those live-action fanmade Naruto clips on youtube (I did actually see one that was surprisingly good).

BruceSkywalker
first 45 minutes were a bore..

last 15 minutes were awesome

-Pr-
I just watched the first episode. It was... It was just average. Nothing about it really stood out to me.

Originally posted by marwash22
Against my better judgement, I watched the pilot and had my thoughts about it confirmed... straight trash.

unlike recent 'Arrow' or 'Legends', etc., this one pisses me off because Black Lightning is one of the few characters we have, and now with this, the CW has given us shitty Black Lightning and shitty Mr. Terrific.

fck off, CW.

Mind elaborating as to why it was trash?

wakkawakkawakka
As far as the resident black CW superhero goes does this mean that Firestorm now wins by default?

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
As far as the resident black CW superhero goes does this mean that Firestorm now wins by default?
I guess, but since they killed off Prof Stein in the Nazi crossover, we may never see Firestorm again, or at least for awhile... Speaking of, putting Legends of Tomorrow on hold to have Black Lightning be in its time slot was not worth it.

juggernaut74
I have this recorded on my DVR but before watching I have some questions:

1. Does this take place on the Flash/Arrow earth or the Supergirl earth?

2. What city does it take place in?

KingD19
1. Not sure but it will have a crossover.
2. Fictional city of Freeland.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka

Nah, Wally is still kicking around, even if he isn't there all the time. Plus, not sure if we will ever see much of Firestorm again after Stein dying and Jax leaving.

Ridley_Prime
Eh, I like Wally, but he hasn't done much that noteworthy. Firestorm had more memorable appearances, at least for me.

KingD19
I just want Black Lightning to last long enough for Static to get introduced and get his own hopefully decent spinoff.

marwash22
If you like Static why would you want him relegated to a "decent" show spun off from a shit franchise?

I just want the CW to stop or do better.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Eh, I like Wally, but he hasn't done much that noteworthy. Firestorm had more memorable appearances, at least for me.

Well, they will probably call him back to fill in while they handle this whole Barry in jail plot they have going.

80sBaby
Interesting. This is the only board where I've seen people who actually didn't like the show.

I liked it and thought the 2nd episode was even better than the first.

Darth Thor
Damn a lot of hate. I really dug the pilot.

cdtm
It's not really working for me.

Way too much pandering to take this seriously. The old man want being whipped is a pale immitation of Cage and Jessica Jones, without any of the funnies..

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Damn a lot of hate. I really dug the pilot.

I just found it a little bit bland to start with. Not necessarily bad, but just kind of meh. Like I said, the main thing that actually bugged me was that damn neck posture. Might seem trivial to some, but when I imagine my superheroes, I don't imagine them kind of slouched over, shoulders hunched.

cdtm
It's like someones dad doing Halloween dress up.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm
It's not really working for me.

Way too much pandering to take this seriously. The old man want being whipped is a pale immitation of Cage and Jessica Jones, without any of the funnies..

Oh, they're pushing way too hard to try to make their own version of Cage. You can practically smell it.

BruceSkywalker
show has cheap budget lol.. they have put on the costume the ten minutes of the show lol

Darth Thor
Yeah except it so far it seems everything Cage was trying to be IMO.

But honestly too early to tell. Could suck from the next episode. Cage also had a decent pilot but took about 5 episodes to suck.

-Pr-
After four episodes, I think it has a long way to go before it even approaches the level Cage was operating at.

cdtm
I really hate his wife.

"I watched them kill my father!"

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!"

Ouch! Harsh, lady.

I get she's worried about him, but that's both cold, AND domineering/controlling. You get the impression she's not truly concerned, and more upset that he's upending her happy little home life.

Otherwise, not a bad episode at all. The fight between father/daughter was actually kind of interesting.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
show has cheap budget lol.. they have put on the costume the ten minutes of the show lol

Wow. That was a Pretty Lame Excuse.

But then Brucie is a pretty Lame Little BeeYotch.

So no big surprise there.

eek!

carthage
Oh man this last episode was pretty cringe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.