Assassin's Creed: Origins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://wccftech.com/assassins-creed-empire-leaked-screenshot-confirms-ancient-egypt-setting/

It's in an ancient Egypt setting. About time. That has potential to be pretty cool. I'm assuming the protagonist is about to go pyramid raiding there.

Kazenji
Apparently this one is now called 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

http://wwg.com/2017/05/06/next-assassins-creed-is-named-origins/

Smasandian
Looks promising if the proposed changes are true.

BruceSkywalker
I'm hoping this will be awesomely great

Kazenji
Leaked image

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-09-sources-leaked-assassins-creed-origins-image-is-legit

Demonic Phoenix
Leaked image of Ba Yek, the new protagonist. https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/34943574/Ba_Yek.jpg.html

Impediment
Renamed the thread title.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Impediment
Renamed the thread title.

Might want to also merge the other thread with this one too.

Kazenji
kGq7ZCth7QY

Arachnid1
kGF2XaEYP24

-Pr-
I do like the idea of a new game, but it feels like it's still plagued by a lot of the old issues, like the awkward climbing controls. Going in a window should not be that hard.

Arachnid1
A7kSzTatiNo

Originally posted by -Pr-
I do like the idea of a new game, but it feels like it's still plagued by a lot of the old issues, like the awkward climbing controls. Going in a window should not be that hard. I've liked the more recent climbing controls. One button for up and one for down has been working pretty well IMO

Agreed on windows though. Most of the time, I just avoided them. It didn't look too bad in this vid though

-Pr-
I've been playing a lot of Syndicate lately, and tbh, as much as I like the idea of "one button for up, one for down", things like stepping down off of a three foot ledge are needlessly complicated.

Then there are things like not letting my use my pistol whenever I want.

I do hope Origins is better, but I am wary.

BruceSkywalker
I just wanna kill people in the game

Kazenji
Loot boxes confirmed in the game

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/10/06/assassins-creed-origins-loot-boxes-revealed-in-video/

in game cash is alright is ok i guess, If it was the other way around using real cash then it would be bad.

Arachnid1
This game is exactly the kind of evolution the series needed. The setting and side quests are phenomenal so far. I also like the new fighting system and the reworked stealth mechanics.

My favorite part so far though is the main character. Bayek is great. He's charismatic and likeable while also being pretty damn intimidating when he's mad (the opening cutscene for example was some wrathful shit). This is definitely the best entry since Black Flag, and it's by the same team. Looks like Black Flag wasn't an accident. These guys actually know what they're doing. I hope Ubi lets them helm all future AC games. Two great AC games in a row from them may have made me a loyal customer for future entries made by them.

Kazenji
Picked it up yesterday too, Went with the God's Edition

i like how it has also more RPG style elements to the game, Even as far as getting loot and selling it at the shops to make cash.

Smasandian
I'm not sold on the combat yet but the stealth is pretty damn good.

And the graphics....jesus, the ****ing graphics are incredible. I'm playing on a Xbox One X with a new 4k HDR TV and damn.....best looking game so far....it's incredible.

Kazenji
Takes a while to get use to the new style of combat, Like any other game i suppose.

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm not sold on the combat yet but the stealth is pretty damn good.

And the graphics....jesus, the ****ing graphics are incredible. I'm playing on a Xbox One X with a new 4k HDR TV and damn.....best looking game so far....it's incredible. Amen...the graphics are beautifully detailed(The Sphinx) I actually find myself spending an hour or two just roaming in the cities.

BruceSkywalker
love this so far

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
Takes a while to get use to the new style of combat, Like any other game i suppose.

True....but I've had over 10 years of Assassin Creeding and I guess I was used to how the combat worked.

I guess it goes with the RPG'ish feel this game has. However, I think I still prefer the old way.

Rebel95
Just got WWII and Battlefront 2 so I'll probably just wait until Christmas for this one but I'm looking forward to it, it looks great and sounds like people are enjoying it.

Smasandian
Still not feeling the combat but the stealth in this game is very, very good.

Overall, pretty damn good game. Plays like Zelda: BOW (which plays like Assassins Creed!) but I find Assassins Creed Origins a much better experience.

I know Zelda will be getting a ton of nods for GOTY but this game is a much better experience. There is actually things to do in it.

BackFire
So how's this game when compared to past AC games? Is it more or less the same thing again? Or are there a lot of changes to the formula?

Kazenji
There's quite few changes to to the formula.

Smasandian
Yes, there is.

1. Combat system is completely overhauled. You hold down to block, then RB/RT for light/strong attacks, parry attacks and build up an aggression meter for a overpowered attack. You can also break shields/blocks by holding down either button to power up an attack.

2. Archery is a huge part of the combat system/stealth. They basically act as guns but with arrows. You have a sniper bow, middle of the row bow, shotgun bow and then a submachine gun bow. Seems silly but it's pretty damn cool.

3. Stealth is fun. It's pretty fluid and doesn't have the same trappings as previous games. You can sneak around without using the hide grass trope....even though it's still prevalent.

4. At any moment, you can use an eagle to tag enemies and loot. It works very similar to the Ghost Recon Wildlands drone.

5. There is a major loot system in the vain of Destiny/Division. It works well.

6. Crafting system that works like Far Cry.

7. There is main quests, and a ton of interesting side quests. They generally follow the same type of gameplay loop (ride horse to camp and eliminate somebody) but they have dedicated narrative that pushes you towards the quest.

Basically, it plays like Zelda: Breath of Wild (which plays like Far Cry/Assassins Creed). There is a interesting main quest, interesting side missions and activities that are not used to gather shit but to explore the surrounding areas of the map. It's not about ticking off a checkmark on a screen but more about seeing cool shit.

So....Assassins Creed Origins = Far Cry + Ghost Recon Wildlands + Division/Destiny and a bit of Zelda.

BackFire
Cool, sounds good. I might have to check it out.

Smasandian
Yeah, it still retains it's Assassins Creed vibe that makes the series fun to play but simplifies key parts of the game. In a good way I might add.

There is an activity where you find papyrus rolls, which give you a puzzle to find a treasure. They give what area they are in and a few clues. It's like those Batman:AA puzzles where you receive a riddle and you have to take a picture of it. But you get great loot instead. They do a good job having things to do around each area so you get to explore some of it.

And it does help that the game looks fantastic....especially with HDR and 4K.

BackFire
I did just get a 4k HDR TV.

Kazenji
Make sure you have some room on your console too, Takes up 50gb for the install.

Kazenji
ugh the 15 min rule...........^ Install data is 50gb

i've mainly been playing it on a HD TV and the game still good.

jaden101
Originally posted by BackFire
So how's this game when compared to past AC games? Is it more or less the same thing again? Or are there a lot of changes to the formula?

Basically they copied The Witcher III for general gameplay and added bows.

In scope its fantastic. Plot is a mixed bag. Protagonist is once again atrocious.

Minimal seafaring this time which works for me because its always been an utter waste of time.

Kazenji
I've been liking the Protagonist, Best one since Ezio & Edward Kenway.

BackFire
Originally posted by jaden101
Basically they copied The Witcher III for general gameplay and added bows.

In scope its fantastic. Plot is a mixed bag. Protagonist is once again atrocious.

Minimal seafaring this time which works for me because its always been an utter waste of time.

Does it have good sidequests like W3?

Smasandian
Yes. Maybe not as good but they are not bad.

Most quests give you a reason to do so. There is always some sort of story attached to it. However, they usually involve investigating something, or clearing out a bandit camp. Some can be quite extensive in where you go.

Overall, the side quests are probably the best in the series. Not on Witcher 3 levels (even those involve a lot of the same type of mechanics...investigate area, follow tracks/smells and then eliminate whatever beast you come across) but are still pretty good. The side activities are fun in my opinion.

And Bayak is good character. I felt for him.

BackFire
Cool, sounds good. I'll probably get this game in the future once I finish up some games in my backlog.

Smasandian
I would probably do the same but I bought the game to try out the new Xbox and 4k.

Funny thing, I have been replaying Witcher 3 and I forgot how stiff the character movement is. As well, moving around on a horse is a bit frustrating.

I compared it to Origins and that game is heads above Witcher 3 when moving around. The controls are spot on and riding a horse is not frustrating as Witcher 3.

BackFire
Not sure if you're aware, but in one of the patches for Witcher 3 they included an alternative movement mode in the options menu that makes Geralt control better.

BruceSkywalker
finished this now about to download the dlc

BackFire
Been playing this for a while. Been enjoying it. I really like the loot system in this game, it's better than a lot of actual looter games out there in that it always feels like a better piece of gear is just another gameplay loop away.

Do think maybe the world is too big. Also there's a lot of sidequests and they're more or less required in order keep up with the level ranges of the main quests. Would have preferred if they were a bit more optional as they are pretty hit and miss.

Also as fun as the world is to explore, and as much as this game gets compared to Witcher 3, I think they are missing some very key components that made the Witcher 3 great instead of just good, and that's the story and characters. They just aren't very good here. There aren't a lot of great supporting characters that you really get attached to imo, and while the main character himself is good in that he has a solid and likeable personality, the overall narrative feels a little sparse and drawn out.

Even so, probably the best Assassin's Creed game I've played. Combat is fun and the core gameplay loop is fun. And the story is by no means bad, just feel it could be better, especially with how long the game is.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BackFire
Been playing this for a while. Been enjoying it. I really like the loot system in this game, it's better than a lot of actual looter games out there in that it always feels like a better piece of gear is just another gameplay loop away.

Do think maybe the world is too big. Also there's a lot of sidequests and they're more or less required in order keep up with the level ranges of the main quests. Would have preferred if they were a bit more optional as they are pretty hit and miss.

Also as fun as the world is to explore, and as much as this game gets compared to Witcher 3, I think they are missing some very key components that made the Witcher 3 great instead of just good, and that's the story and characters. They just aren't very good here. There aren't a lot of great supporting characters that you really get attached to imo, and while the main character himself is good in that he has a solid and likeable personality, the overall narrative feels a little sparse and drawn out.

Even so, probably the best Assassin's Creed game I've played. Combat is fun and the core gameplay loop is fun. And the story is by no means bad, just feel it could be better, especially with how long the game is.

have you killed a phylake yet?

jaden101
Anyone done Curse of the pharaohs yet?

It really is vastly superior to the Hidden Ones. Much grander in scale and the afterlife sections are all uniquely stunning.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.