PS5 is set for 2020

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps5-release-date-news-and-features-1213409

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/28188/20170303/sony-to-release-ps5-in-2020-with-two-versions-vr-headset.htm

That gives the PS4 a 7 year life cycle. That's the exact amount of time the PS3 had before it's replacement console was put out. With he Scorpio coming out for this gen, the PS5 should be an absolute beast. It for damn sure better be a bigger step up than this generation was from the last.

BackFire
Worth highlighting the fact that the date is just a guess and not an official announcement, though 2020 is a pretty reasonable guess.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by BackFire
Worth highlighting the fact that the date is just a guess and not an official announcement, though 2020 is a pretty reasonable guess. Yeah sorry, the title is a little too sure isn't it?

Still, we'll see. There's plenty of time before then. It blows my mind though, that the PS4 has already been out for 4 years. It feels like it's been half that time, but it's actually likely halfway through its life cycle. I'd assumed the next gen consoles would have more noteworthy titles by now.

ares834
Agreed. This current gen kinda blows.

BackFire
Well this is around the time in a generation when it peaks. The next couple of years should see a lot of very good games.

Smasandian
The question is: Will there be another Playstation?

I think this all depends on how well Project Scorpio does because I don't see console manufacturers going with the "generation" model anymore. It's probably going to be every 2-4 years, a new upgrade will take place. And pre

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by ares834
Agreed. This current gen kinda blows.
Tbh, I don't really have much faith in another gen. 9th gen will no doubt inherit the bullshit perks of modern gaming, and probably have even tinier game libraries than the current outside of re-releases.

If current gen reaches a stride though these next/last years as pointed out, my sentiments may change, but until then I see no reason to believe another new gen will do much better... :/

As far as gaming libraries I mean.

Ridley_Prime
Aside from that... I wonder what kind of unique new feature/s a PS5 would have, if any at all. The exciting selling point about the PS4 was the share play feature, but sadly it got neutered after awhile when publishers didn't like the idea of others being able to watch or play their new games through another person's account before buying them, so that option got disabled for most games by a certain point...

Whatever else happens, after the recently announced Xbox Game Pass, hopefully they'll get rid of the ongoing joke that is PS Now and replace it with something better.

Other than that kind of stuff, I don't see too much else to hope for atm.

-Pr-
If they don't have 60fps as standard for their games, it's likely to be one of the things that puts me off, tbh. I'm only considering getting a PS4 because of the FF remake, and that might not even be that great.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by -Pr-
If they don't have 60fps as standard for their games, it's likely to be one of the things that puts me off, tbh. I'm only considering getting a PS4 because of the FF remake, and that might not even be that great. Yeah the episodic nature of FF7 is really putting me off. I'm actually hoping episodic games die off. Telltale titles have gone down in quality drastically and I'm assuming their sales have too (though I can give these a pass since they're 25$ at release and go down in price relatively quickly following release).

The Hitman game was the only game I've played where the episodic nature actually fit. Plus, they gave away entire levels for free, so it was well done. The RE game though? That was pathetic, and I haven't really seen any more episodic titles since. I think developers are wise to the bad rap that format gets. A FF game for damn sure shouldn't be sold in this format.

-Pr-
Hitman is one of those games where I'm happy to admit that I was wrong to be so worried. I don't have good internet, and I still rarely ran in to issues with the always online. I found myself replaying levels over and over to get level 20 mastery before I would even move on to the next one, so yeah, I definitely agree that the episodic nature suited it.

The only way I'll be comfortable with it is if they don't go above the three parts I've heard they're doing. I doubt it'll be disc 1 of the original game as the first release because FF7 as a game is very, VERY frontloaded, but as long as there's enough content to justify three releases, I'll be okay with it.

BruceSkywalker
alls i know is there best be some damn fine games for it

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by -Pr-
If they don't have 60fps as standard for their games, it's likely to be one of the things that puts me off, tbh.
There's that too I guess. Just remembered, should PS5 or something come with VR at a more affordable price (psh, as if), I'd be somewhat more considering of it.

Zack Fair
I'm okay with the current gen o_o

Looking forward to next gen. I'm pretty sure there will be another PS given the success of the PS4. I doubt the graphics will be a bigger leap than current one was from last. I feel like as generations keep coming the power gap between them shortens. I have no problem with this to be honest. I got over my "graphics" whoreness when I had a good PC rig.

Smasandian
I agree. I'm playing Horizons: Zero Dawn and it looks absolutely fantastic. Not PC fantastic but then again the PS4 is not $1500.

I also disagree about the lack of games. While it doesn't equal the quantity of titles the previous generation did, the quality is fantastic. Just the past two months had 4-5 plus 85% on Metacritic get released.

Zack Fair
I agree about the games. I think the gen is doing fine in that department. Like lets not forget Last Gen has been around for aninsanely long amount of time. Its not really fair to compare them. Current Gen had a rocky start but a lot of sequels have learned from their mistakes and there is still room for new IPs and highly anticipated sequels. Hopefully the sequels will continue the trend of improving their foundations.

For example I am eager to see what Bungie has learned and what they can do with Destiny 2 now that it dropped last gen. Game had a lot of flaws when it came out, but the current game is such an improvement over the original release that i just can't help but be excited.

An example of a sequel improving over its rocky start would be Titanfall 2. Campaign was absolutely fantastic and the MP just as fun and polished as it ever was, if not mroe so.

Watch Dogs 2 would be another good example. I didn't play it because of gaming budget being tight, but I heard good things about it.

Smasandian
My only gripe is that there hasn't been a influx of original IP like the previous generation had.

But the quality is there. There has been some fantastic games in the last 4 years. I know selective memory of previous console generations happen a fair bit but I think people forget prior to the 360/PS3, high quality titles were in short supple. There was a shitload of crap in the PS2 era.

Ridley_Prime
I just feel like AAA games for the most part, have lost their luster unless they do something new/different, which thankfully, some still do, but the gaming droughts we've been having this gen is in part a cost of the result of pumping out too many AAA's and such last gen on a yearly basis. IMO anyway.

Yeah, there is the lack of original IP's too, but can still agree that there's been some great titles in recent years, even if I feel they're too far in between.

Smasandian
What gaming drought? I have no idea what you are talking about.

In the past year, there has been.

Battlefield 1
Dishonored 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Division
Titanfall 2
Gears of War 4
Dying Light: The Following
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Doom
The Witness
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Steep
Quantam Break
Watch Dogs 2
Far Cry Primal
Dead Rising 4
The Last Guardian

And then in the last month,

Horizons: Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 7
Zelda: Breath of Wild
Nier:Automata

And Mass Effect in two weeks. And that's only the games I have played so I'm probably missing.

I don't really how you can say there has been a "drought". You might think they have lost their luster but that really doesn't have anything to do with consoles themselves. We are just used to have enough fantastic quality titles to choose from.

And the last year, we had titles like:

MGSV
Witcher 3
Super Mario Maker
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Rocket League
Bloodborne
Rainbow Six Siege

I would agree on original IP but gamers are also part of that type of problem.

Ridley_Prime
Maybe drought wasn't the right word on my part; just more of a decline in number of games to choose from in general, and that list there isn't even all that to me, good as some of the mentioned games are. You're right though that we've become used to having more which last gen kinda spoiled us in that sense, but even then I haven't gone as far as to call the current gen bad, though compared to previous ones it has barely sustained me.

Arachnid1
You have games listed on your list like CoD: IW, The Division, and Far Cry Primal. The fact that games came out this year doesn't matter if they were shit games. Last gen was better by a mile

Smasandian
But they aren't shit.

Do you know what shit games are? Those three are far from it. They might be paint by numbers but they are not crappy. There is a lot of skill within those games and if they were released 10 years ago, they would be put into the same "do you remember when" category.

I'm not arguing that this generation has better games. I'm just mentioning that the idea that this generation has nothing is ludicrous.

Trocity
The Last Of Us 2 is coming out on the current gen, which means this gen is the best.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
But they aren't shit.

The Division is for some people.

Adam Grimes
Rdr2 will render your complaints invalid.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
The Division is for some people.

So?

Most complaints are about the end game content. One of the reasons why the end game content is much aligned with fans is because they enjoyed Level 1-30.

It's far from being shit. I think people in general of over-exgerrating what "shit" games mean. You might not like the game but that's doesn't equal shit.

Kazenji
So?

Most complaints are about the end game content. One of the reasons why the end game content is much aligned with fans is because they enjoyed Level 1-30.

It's far from being shit. I think people in general of over-exgerrating what "shit" games mean. You might not like the game but that's doesn't equal shit.

So?

personally i wouldn't touch it unless i had a ten foot pole, Just not into MMo's

Smasandian
So basically, because you do not like MMO's (which The Division isn't), it's shit?

I don't like JRPG's but I won't say FF15 is crappy because a. never played it b. not my thing.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Arachnid1
You have games listed on your list like CoD: IW, The Division, and Far Cry Primal. The fact that games came out this year doesn't matter if they were shit games. Last gen was better by a mile

lol

Current gen is pretty good man.

People really underestimating for how long last gen's been around.

why don't we compare last gen when it had the lifespan of the current one instead of riding the hype of over a decade's worth of games?

Make it fair people.

I honestly see a lot of similarities between the two.

Smasandian
I think the problem is the lack of original IP's. It's creating this preconceived notion that there is lack of quality titles for this generation.

But in fact, it's just more sequels from franchises created from the previous console race. This situation of sequels from major franchises has been created by publishers/devs and gamers.

Zack Fair
Agreed about new IPs.

Speaking of new IPs I can't wait to get my hands on horizon Zero Dawn.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Zack Fair
why don't we compare last gen when it had the lifespan of the current one instead of riding the hype of over a decade's worth of games?
Even going by that, last gen had more, imo.

Arachnid1
But they aren't shit.

Do you know what shit games are? Those three are far from it. They might be paint by numbers but they are not crappy. There is a lot of skill within those games and if they were released 10 years ago, they would be put into the same "do you remember when" category.

I'm not arguing that this generation has better games. I'm just mentioning that the idea that this generation has nothing is ludicrous. This is a new gen with more capabilities. The fact that you have to say "If this released with the launch of last gen it would be well remembered" just shows that it's a subpar game for this gen. The shittiest car today would be hailed as an engineering masterpiece 50 years ago. That doesn't make it good today.

And when people say this gen has "nothing", it's not to be taken literal. It means the truly amazing choices we do have are sparse considering the fact that we're already halfway through this gens console life.

Despite that, I can at least agree with Zack below. It would be better to compare this gen to last gen once it's console life is up since it will likely peak towards the end like last gen did (though last gen was doing better by this point too). I can give the benefit of the doubt, for now. Especially with the releases of Nioh, Horizon, and Mass Effect all so close. That's shows some promise.

lol

Current gen is pretty good man.

People really underestimating for how long last gen's been around.

Make it fair people.

I honestly see a lot of similarities between the two.

ares834

Smasandian
Agreed about new IPs.

Speaking of new IPs I can't wait to get my hands on horizon Zero Dawn.

To tell you the truth....

It looks fantastic, controls really, the story is interesting and the area surrounding the game is neat. I have been doing a bunch of side activities and really have touched the main story.

However, the game isn't anything really new. It plays similarly to Far Cry Primal and has the setting of Enslaved.

Smasandian
I'm not arguing this generation has better games, or even games on par with last gen.

I'm just saying that the idea that this generation has "nothing" is complete bullshit. You might not like some of the games that have been released but a lot of people do.

Some great games released in the last three years.

MGSV
Witcher 3
Zelda: Breath of Wild
Super Mario Maker
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Titanfall 2
Bloodborne

Not including games like:

Gears 4
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Last Guardian
Watch Dogs 2
Shadow of Mordor
Destiny
Dying Light
Forza 5,6 and Horizons 2, 3
Fallout 4
Dishonored 2
Dragon Age 3
South Park: Stick of Truth
Alien: Isolation

And a ton of other games.

And in reality, it's only been three years. The systems were released at the end of the 2013. I roughly looked back and a lot of those "great" games were released in 2009, which is roughly around the game this generation is in.

ares834

Ridley_Prime
There's not really all that much that can be significantly improved or revolutionized now. Best to hope for is just more better games. Otherwise I agree.

ares834
Sure there is. I expect next gen will double down on VR for example.

Ridley_Prime
Not sure how much or how long VR will stick around for the long run, but at the very least I hope it's not just another thing that comes and goes once the novelty wears off like with motion controls.

Kazenji
So basically, because you do not like MMO's (which The Division isn't), it's shit?

I'm not saying its shit personally

and it does have the DNA of one

look...i get it you've played it and have been enjoying it, That's great for you.

Ridley_Prime
Now there's word that PS5 will be set for next year rather than 2020... Sony be desperate as phuck to get back at the Scorpio.

BackFire
That sounds extremely unlikely.

Smasandian
Unless it's just a hardware update and nothing else.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.