A pic that a friend did for me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Jake2TheJakenin
https://gm1.ggpht.com/ WeNqak56WgAsRaZW3X_g90F0u75rdSmMNcnyttmSBZuqzjL3YZ
ay3oMtP6HsPL2dB_Rj_TRX0V9ZebNJ5GAV0xstkKv57YOW1EQ- A2ccOuDvQgwpFEGzritmd5EabHCcWqr9knNEuocqPXngLL53gc
DGDTYSvTM7qW5QrcAc7H4cf-UTtQr0ALtcB_OUiTHcijCjjBHWuk6Xa827v4TgcO-i7z-8lp- stRHfKfnyONnqQhVh2R7DrFHKcjCOhj2veArWDhyhq605P6LQZ
86wskjWkmOjY9wQz_aQZm_EnUNYLpbdAE2pfaMETpt1d1jZ0VG
5U5_AvGMvPhWETysiJuvaPawPqPRY_FAICCKqvoibeS16UtFtR
jjFuw223t- boKy8YiQDilPlhkFEWbrThNH6mKPHSRmVxyWaIKIJbYQd1c0BU
w3MdHlpremw6g1A6FhG_zbzOF3Q3ti00A0r9oXWxb4IlhPN9Jf
a4l35i5TrurcaUIyp1Q_ldla6m3iAM2y8fCnxqBtYSMT9ws-2CgTcxKnWl6dl1wCN-laBz5A6iFzBj_zhJWRBF2BsJTT32ievW3gIBumByDK6sb9BP1-4vL7u1q3ouKe7EkxveZwtScaZ9eA- a0vA4QqpCrrz3JoVS4_HGjOdTTqoW2KVycGs1n6TFUMKFAw4AM
9cVHYHlwsbutQzT3MHa1nY8Z7AkZ0htnyE86fnbtHmf0WeTm05
7Qs=w1090-h830-l75-ft

riv6672
Might wanna save it to imgur or something, then re-post it, J.

Jake2TheJakenin
Originally posted by riv6672
Might wanna save it to imgur or something, then re-post it, J.

OK.

http://i.imgur.com/FJ4mBKP.jpg

StiltmanFTW
laughing

steverules_2
http://replygif.net/i/249.gif

riv6672
I can see it now. thumb up

Dreampanther
I like your passion and commitment. Like any other profession, it will take time, practice and hard work to turn your hobby into a career.

Your friend obviously has talent, but like any talent he/she also needs to develop his/her skill. I suggest your friend joins deviantart.com, which is a great community of amateur and professional artists. Quite a few of them show how much they progress over the years, when they do something called Then-And-Now, or Draw-It-Again.

http://i.imgur.com/ahpPolT.jpg

As for yourself, since you are so interested in boxing, did you watch the Hajime no Ippo anime I recommended? It has an approval rating of nearly 90% and is currently ranked #20 on the list of all-time best anime.

Check it out here.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/263/Hajime_no_Ippo?q=hajime

Since you are a boxing and an animation fan, you will love it.

steverules_2
He didn't draw the pic, his friend did

Dreampanther
Originally posted by steverules_2
He didn't draw the pic, his friend did

Hence

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Your friend obviously has talent, but like any talent he/she also needs to develop his/her skill. I suggest your friend joins deviantart.com, which is a great community of amateur and professional artists.

steverules_2
So what about this bit?

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I like your passion and commitment. Like any other profession, it will take time, practice and hard work to turn your hobby into a career.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by steverules_2
So what about this bit?

He's the one who likes boxing and wants to write about it. I've seen a couple of posts here from him and I think it's admirable that not only has he decided what he wants to do, but has also gone so far as to get a friend to start drawing the art for the scenes he wants to write.

He's passionate and he's dedicated. What he needs to do now is some research about boxing and to start practicing his writing skills.

StiltmanFTW
I told you once and I'm telling you again - welcome to the Internet, dreamp. Learn to recognize a troll account when you see one:

Originally posted by Jake2TheJakenin
I feel like human feces right now, and I just want to stop feeling this way.

There was a classic KMCer, Jake. Looks like some sock took his name for lulz.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I told you once and I'm telling you again - welcome to the Internet, dreamp. Learn to recognize a troll account when you see one:

There was a classic KMCer, Jake. Looks like some sock took his name for lulz.

Hmmph. Didn't quite see this as a troll account. Looked more like a young kid. Probably just the teacher in me coming out - always want to try and encourage kids, especially the creative ones wink

Astner

steverules_2
Anyone else think Hulk looks like a green Rocky?

Dreampanther

Astner
You suppose correctly.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Astner
You suppose correctly.

Prove it.

Astner
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Prove it.
What? That i can draw better than an eight year-old? Sure.

http://i.imgur.com/zjWIC7cm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6k7OGA3m.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/G381QHWm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6VKjIWM.jpg

steverules_2
https://media.tenor.co/images/680c5bb2448624b8a8be0aeb8b241f7e/raw

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Astner
What? That i can draw better than an eight year-old? Sure.



Well, that's not bad - not bad at all. In fact, I'd say that's much better than an 8-year old: it might even be as good as Alex Ross at age 12!



eek!

StiltmanFTW
Asstner's thanus looks as if he's taking some huge dump in that pic, lol.

steverules_2
He can beat the marvel universe but not constipation

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

wuleecat
Congratulations Astner. You just proved your awesomeness by pointing out the deficiencies of someone else's art and rubbing their noses in it.

What a delightful party guest you must be. You probably chew a few mouthfuls of the host's food before letting it dribble out of your mouth onto the carpet, pull a 'who-just-crapped-their-pants? - face, and loudly announce to the crowded room: "I can do SO much better. This idiot doesn't know how to nuance spices or herbs, and has no palate whatsoever."

Good job, hero.

wuleecat
By the way, I think your Thanos drawing looks copied

Astner
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Asstner's thanus looks as if he's taking some huge dump in that pic, lol.
I wanted to emphasis a dynamic pose as well as perspective.

Originally posted by wuleecat
Congratulations Astner. You just proved your awesomeness by pointing out the deficiencies of someone else's art and rubbing their noses in it.
If Dreampanther wouldn't have "challenged" me I wouldn't have spent 4 hours drawing the damn thing.

Originally posted by wuleecat
By the way, I think your Thanos drawing looks copied
I used one of Jim Starlin's images for reference, because I didn't know all the details on Thanos.

But as you can see the angle and pose is different from the one I drew.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/65/dd/88/65dd88c9c8bd61a97dc2c3fa3aa7d57e.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DErZFYQ.jpg

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Astner
I wanted to emphasis a dynamic pose as well as perspective.


If Dreampanther wouldn't have "challenged" me I wouldn't have spent 4 hours drawing the damn thing.


I used one of Jim Starlin's images for reference, because I didn't know all the details on Thanos.

But as you can see the angle and pose is different from the one I drew.


Quite a progression: From randomly sneering at and attacking someone else's original art, to attempted blameshifting, to blatantly copying somebody else's art, changing a few details and passing it off as your own.

Like Wuleecat said, you must be absolutely delightful to know.

Just to make a few points clear: I only responded to you after you decided to take it upon yourself to tear apart the effort of somebody else to create and share something original.

By the way, this is how you give feedback:

http://i.imgur.com/hEblGXS.png

So don't try to blame me, or try to confuse the issue, when you get called out for the way you treat other members on this forum.

Second, that is clearly a rip-off. Spending four hours creating an incomplete sketch ripping off Jim Starlin's work, and then trying to pass it off as your own, is not something I would be bragging about. If you didn't think you were doing something wrong, you would have stated right from the beginning that was somebody else's original sketch which you were "using for reference", instead of just adding your name to it and posting it here.

Astner
Originally posted by Dreampanther
to attempted blameshifting, to blatantly copying somebody else's art, changing a few details and passing it off as your own.
Are you retarded? When you draw something specific you need a motif. That's why you have models.

That said, the picture I drew is significantly different from the one I used for reference.

Starlin's view is from above the horizon, mine is from beneath. The horizontal angle is shifted. The pose is different, the perspective is different and the proportions are different.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
By the way, this is how you give feedback:

http://i.imgur.com/hEblGXS.png
And that's why the artist who drew the comic can't draw for shit. In order to improve all you need to know is what you did wrong.

This applies to all creative work, if you code and then your program doesn't run properly then you want someone to tell you what's wrong with it. What you don't want is some idiot wasting your time by patting you on the head for writing a thousand lines of code.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
So don't try to blame me, or try to confuse the issue, when you get called out for the way you treat other members on this forum.
If you can't take constructive criticism then perhaps you should go back to kindergarten and pay closer attention when your teacher brings up the saying about the sticks and stones.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Second, that is clearly a rip-off.
No it's not you dolt.

http://i.imgur.com/kkQSclb.png

You see how the farther away you get from the face—where both images are pinned—nothing aligns?

Originally posted by Dreampanther
If you didn't think you were doing something wrong, you would have stated right from the beginning that was somebody else's original sketch which you were "using for reference", instead of just adding your name to it and posting it here.
First and foremost, that's not a sketch, it's an ink drawing.

Secondly if you don't draw something directly from your imagination, you need a motif. Or would you argue that the Mona Lisa is shit because da Vinci used a model?

Astner
Double post.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Astner
That said, the picture I drew is significantly different from the one I used for reference.

Gotcha. Thanks for at least being honest and not trying to deny it was someone else's work you were trying to pass off as your own, changing only a few minor details.

Not only were you blatantly copying Starlin's art and trying to take credit for it, you even admitted you are unable to come up with something original.

At least wuleecat called you out on it, otherwise you would probably still be going around the forums trying to pass off Jim Starlin's sketches as your ideas.

Astner
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Gotcha. Thanks for at least being honest and not trying to deny it was someone else's work you were trying to pass off as your own, changing only a few minor details.
Are you retarded? That's the direct opposite of what I said.

No seriously, look at the pictures, they're nothing alike. It's completely different perspectives.

http://i.imgur.com/6gesLjN.png

One is from below and the other from above, and that's not counting for the horizontal angle, the lighting the perspective and proportions.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Not only were you blatantly copying Starlin's art and trying to take credit for it, you even admitted you are unable to come up with something original.

At least wuleecat called you out on it, otherwise you would probably still be going around the forums trying to pass off Jim Starlin's sketches as your ideas.
It is my work you dolt. Using a motif doesn't discredit me as the artist.

In fact you need motif to draw something specific. You mentioned Alex Ross earlier, he always draws from reference pictures.

8h2dO4HEsmM

I probably shouldn't be talking you too seriously because you're clearly an idiot who hasn't drawn anything since grade school.

Dreampanther
So defensive. Did I touch a nerve? Don't like being called out when you present work as your own without giving credit to the original artist?

Hmm, I can see why you resort to insults - must have been a bit humiliating when you posted your sketch after four hours of work and one of the first comments was that it looked copied.

Must be difficult, being unable to come up with anything original.

Astner

Dreampanther
"If I had a problem with the fact that I used a motif and I was trying to hide it then I wouldn't have posted it in the first place."

Except, of course, that you did hide the fact that it was Jim Starlin's Thanos - until you got called out on it. Why wouldn't you give credit to the original artist unless you hoped nobody would notice it wasn't your work in the first place?

"I was not trying to come up with anything original."

Yes, we all noticed that. At least now that you have been called on it you admit it. Maybe some day you will actually start giving credit to the original artist's work before it is pointed out.

wuleecat
Hmmmm...

Astner

wuleecat
Hey, how do you know I don't know how to draw?

I'll prove it to you. Just give me 4 hours, some tracing paper and the chance to scan through my collection of Bryan Hitch spreads. I'll use the 'Hitch motif' method to come up with something that looks 99.99% identical to Hitch's original, but I'll alter the angle of the elbow by 2 degrees and maybe raise an eyebrow by a fraction.

Then I'll post my work, bigging myself up about how stonkingly awesome I am, and how retarded everyone else is compared to me.

Hey presto! I'm an artist!

Fun, isn't it?

Damborgson
Just popped in to get some salt. Leaving now.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by wuleecat
Hey, how do you know I don't know how to draw?

I'll prove it to you. Just give me 4 hours, some tracing paper and the chance to scan through my collection of Bryan Hitch spreads. I'll use the 'Hitch motif' method to come up with something that looks 99.99% identical to Hitch's original, but I'll alter the angle of the elbow by 2 degrees and maybe raise an eyebrow by a fraction.

Then I'll post my work, bigging myself up about how stonkingly awesome I am, and how retarded everyone else is compared to me.

Hey presto! I'm an artist!

Fun, isn't it?

You know, this is a great idea. I'm going to take a short story by Neil Gaiman, change the names of the characters, the setting and time it takes place, add a few sentences of my own and then put my name on it and post it on forums to prove to people what a great writer I am.

If I get called out on it, I'll just tell people they don't understand how the creative writing process works and that all I did was use Neil Gaiman as a "motif".

Astner

wuleecat
Great idea.

I reckon Alan Moore would work too. Hang on, I'm having a 'motif moment...'

"The League of Awesome Guys". Bunch of characters from literature thrown together to fight crime. First in the lineup, 'Captain Seaweed' and his incredible - indeed, extraordinary - submarine, the Golden Squid.

Geez, writing comics is just as easy as drawing them, eh?

I guess any old "dolt" can do it. (By the way, who except bad Nazi villains in an Indiana Jones movie uses the insult 'dolt'? Who is this guy, the Red Skull?)

Astner

steverules_2
This is a pic I did at work a while a go, I was bored and had a comic with me so drew wolverine from one of the pages, was copied from a Jim Lee photo. Didn't have any pencils so had to use a pen. Think I did a pretty decent job.

https://s14.postimg.org/e7pjqwlv5/wolverine.jpg

Dreampanther
Originally posted by steverules_2
This is a pic I did at work a while a go, I was bored and had a comic with me so drew wolverine from one of the pages, was copied from a Jim Lee photo. Didn't have any pencils so had to use a pen. Think I did a pretty decent job.

https://s14.postimg.org/e7pjqwlv5/wolverine.jpg

So would you say that was a "Jim Lee motif" you used?

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Astner
God you're dumb.

"Motif Any figure or design, when used either as the central element in a work or is repeated to create an architectural or decorative pattern. Also, a recurrent thematic element in any work."

- Lineart Glossary: M

So no, it wasn't "Jim Lee" who was the motif, it was Wolverine as depicted in Jim Lee's work.

And in my case it was Thanos—as depicted by Jim Starlin—that was the motif.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Dreampanther
So would you say that was a "Jim Lee motif" you used?

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Well it's not an original pic like astners

StiltmanFTW
https://68.media.tumblr.com/d1a5fb94eee5d83f9bcd8874a0281327/tumblr_nq4hpeDKDu1sjc5sqo1_r1_500.gif

CosmicComet
This is a terrible thread.

And not because of the OP.

Galan007
Hey guys, I just drew a pic of Thanos, too!

http://i.imgur.com/4KJbKJn.jpg


Not gonna lie, though- I totally used Astner's pic for reference... But as you'll note, the poses are completely different. thumb up

Adam Grimes
Are they? They look the same to me.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Galan007
Hey guys, I just drew a pic of Thanos, too!

http://i.imgur.com/4KJbKJn.jpg


Not gonna lie, though- I totally used Astner's pic for reference... But as you'll note, the poses are completely different. thumb up

Look at the detail in his prune chin!

steverules_2
Those are his bedroom eyes

Philosopha
Originally posted by Galan007
Hey guys, I just drew a pic of Thanos, too!

http://i.imgur.com/4KJbKJn.jpg


Not gonna lie, though- I totally used Astner's pic for reference... But as you'll note, the poses are completely different. thumb up It seems like a 20-30 degree angle difference used there.

Totally not the same thumb up

Astner
Originally posted by Galan007
Not gonna lie, though- I totally used Astner's pic for reference... But as you'll note, the poses are completely different. thumb up
Agreed. I take no credit for Galan's fine work.

Endless Mike
Well it's better than I could do... but I can't really draw anything more complex than stick figures anyway

Prof. T.C McAbe
First you don't need a reference for drawing, it depends on the artist it's not a must but makes things much easier. Also, taking some different body parts from different pictures and composing them differently to copy it is not a crime, so give him a break. I am sure he will make a video how he draws from the beginning till the end to show you that he is more than able.

StiltmanFTW
I can draw, too!

https://s30.postimg.org/xohsrtnnl/thanus.png

Used Galan's picture for reference.

steverules_2
I like the use of colour

StiltmanFTW
Thanks smile I like your Wolverine, too. I mean it.

Damborgson
Originally posted by steverules_2
This is a pic I did at work a while a go, I was bored and had a comic with me so drew wolverine from one of the pages, was copied from a Jim Lee photo. Didn't have any pencils so had to use a pen. Think I did a pretty decent job.

https://s14.postimg.org/e7pjqwlv5/wolverine.jpg

That's a good little doodle.

abhilegend
LMAO @ this thread.

Astner

StiltmanFTW
Fear, not Feat stick out tongue Terrible event, btw.

Kazenji
That's how Greg Land rolls with his drawing.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Can't quote Aster.

Actually there I disagree. You don't need to draw a specific character for years to get his proportions right because artists have differen't styles which often are seen in the different approach to the proportions of characters, compare Michael Turner (God bless his soul) to Jim Lee. Most artists who draw people will get the proportions right even of monstrous characters, the way it suits them and their style. You will see Thanos drawn differently, sometimes to the extreme, by different artists. The only thing where the artist might need help are the details of the costume.

As for the tracing part. I don't really care about this as long as the final result looks good. If a photo was traced I don't care, if another artist was traced it's more difficult.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by Kazenji
That's how Greg Land rolls with his drawing.

What's wrong with him? He might trace some photos, or copy the poses, reuse some art but the final results look really realistic with near perfect proportions and his talent is obvious because he just copies, traces or whatever, the body but the suit and everything else is still work.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
What's wrong with him? He might trace some photos, or copy the poses, reuse some art but the final results look really realistic with near perfect proportions and his talent is obvious because he just copies, traces or whatever, the body but the suit and everything else is still work.

He uses porn scenes for his art, fyi.

http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/2012/August/Comics/land628.jpg

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
He uses porn scenes for his art, fyi.

http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/2012/August/Comics/land628.jpg

Then he deserves all the respect of the internet!

StiltmanFTW
Yes and no. At times he's so lazy, it hurts:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/145984/3435443-9521935026-the-t.jpg

Facee
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Thanks smile I like your Wolverine, too. I mean it.
no expression

StiltmanFTW
Steve is a talented artist, Jim Lee-level, and you're a hater with an ugly face.

Galan007
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I can draw, too!

https://s30.postimg.org/xohsrtnnl/thanus.png

Used Galan's picture for reference. This one-upper over here... srsly

steverules_2
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Steve is a talented artist, Jim Lee-level, and you're a hater with an ugly face.

Thank you smile Yes he is, it's just jealousy I think

wuleecat
Originally posted by Galan007
This one-upper over here... srsly

I think Thanos looks awesome in his itsy-bitsy two-piece.

The ****.

wuleecat
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Yes and no. At times he's so lazy, it hurts:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/145984/3435443-9521935026-the-t.jpg

You can see how he uses a 'tortoise motif' extensively in his depictions of Ben Grimm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.