The Big Three (of authors)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
In my opinion the 3 best Star Wars authors are

Michael Stover
Drew Karpashyn
Timothy Zahn

I know many people will disagree with me, but Stover is a wordsmith. Drew always has exciting endings and Zahn really makes you think. Luceno used to be good, but his last 2 novels sucked.

Thoughts?

DarthAnt66
Zahn and Stover are classics, but you're going to get eaten alive for saying you like Drew on KMC.

Darth Abonis
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Zahn and Stover are classics, but you're going to get eaten alive for saying you like Drew on KMC.

Lol I know. Idk why people hate him. The Darth Bane trilogy rocked.

ares834
Zayn, Luceno, and Stover.

Darth Abonis
Luceno lost it. Tarkin was horrible and Catalyst was one of the most boring books I've ever read.

Trocity
Luceno lost it, but Drew is in the Big Three? laughing

Christ.

AncientPower
Luceno.
Stover.
Zahn.

SunRazer
Luceno, Stover and Sean Stewart (only had one entry, but it was great).

Revan is probably irredeemable. Drew's lack of research before writing his books is noticeable when he has Sirak using Vaapad and the Triumvirate slaughtering tens of thousands of Jedi. Or Meetra being unable to cope with the prospect of not feeling the Force. With only a few exceptions, his characters are as a devoid of characterization as Nathema is of life.

Rockydonovang
stover, stover, and more stover

MythLord
Stover, Zahn and Luceno are probably the absolute best.

Sean Stewart is also amazing.

ares834
Originally posted by ares834
Zayn, Luceno, and Stover.

*Zahn

Damn autocorrect.

I'm not actually a big fan of Zahn but is easily the biggest SW author (though not the biggest author to write SW novels).

Petrus
Originally posted by AncientPower
Luceno.
Stover.
Zahn.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by AncientPower
Luceno.
Stover.
Zahn.

Selenial
Originally posted by MythLord
Stover, Zahn and Luceno are probably the absolute best.

Sean Stewart is also amazing.
thumb up

Also:
Originally posted by SunRazer
Revan is probably irredeemable. Drew's lack of research before writing his books is noticeable when he has Sirak using Vaapad and the Triumvirate slaughtering tens of thousands of Jedi. Or Meetra being unable to cope with the prospect of not feeling the Force. With only a few exceptions, his characters are as a devoid of characterization as Nathema is of life.

Kurk
Christie Golden
Sean Stewer

NemeBro
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Luceno lost it. Tarkin was horrible and Catalyst was one of the most boring books I've ever read. Better to have lost it than to have never had it tbh.

I'm not nearly as well-versed on the EU as anyone here, but I couldn't get much further than the first page of Revan. From a purely technical perspective Drew is horrible, lol, and what little I've read of his Mass Effect novels seem to confirm that. His prose is unusually bad for a professional author.

By contrast, I'm reading through Darth Plagueis right now and Luceno is at least technically competent.

Fated Xtasy
Stover is by far the best writer in the star wars verse that has had More than one entry.

Luceno is arguably a contender for top dog but his books are of an acquired taste, while Stover manages to draw both audiences with his grasp of character and story telling ability.

Timothy Zahn isn't someone I can judge because I've never read his stuff in it's entirety. But one author I do think has considerable talent is Paul S Kemp(author of Crosscurrent/Riptide in Legends Canon and Lords of the Sith in Disney Canon)

Kemp brings a lot to the table, great story telling, a lot of focus on character development and he actually does research on characters(He went through various sources for Jaden Korr, played the game and even went to Wookieepedia to boot)

He's certainly someone to watch out for imho

The_Tempest
Stewart

Stover
Luceno

Everybody else

Karpyshyn

TheMuser
Drew
Luceno
Zahn
tbh

Kurk
Christie Golden isn't bad tbh

The_Tempest
Originally posted by NemeBro
By contrast, I'm reading through Darth Plagueis right now and Luceno is at least technically competent.

Very. But that book is overrated af; this coming from the Prime Sheevite.

You want a fantastic Star Wars book? Read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. thumb up

Kurk
Originally posted by The_Tempest

You want a fantastic Star Wars book? Read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. thumb up Dark Rendezvous could've been written by a child.

AncientPower
If there's one thing you don't do in the presence of Tempest, it is insulting the great DR.

Kurk
I still wank the Dooku wounding Yoda thing though wink

Trocity
Dark Rendezvous is a fantastic read, but it's Stewart's only entry in the SW universe, and it isn't as good as Revenge of the Sith, which is the greatest SW book ever written.

Stover is top dog.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by TheMuser
Drew
Luceno
Zahn
tbh
drew>stover?

AncientPower
How Drew is even remotely comparable is unfathomable.

carthage
Stover
Luceno

Maybe Zahn for the 3rd

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Trocity
Dark Rendezvous is a fantastic read, but it's Stewart's only entry in the SW universe, and it isn't as good as Revenge of the Sith, which is the greatest SW book ever written.

Stover is top dog.
Yup, You could argue shadows of mindor is better too imo

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by TheMuser
Drew
johnson
Golden
tbh
Stover's trash
no

NewGuy01
Shadows of Mindor > DR? kek

Beniboybling
Luceno writes great prose but of his books I've read (or tried to), Darth Plagueis is the only one I haven't found to have a dull plot line. So I'm hesistant to put him in a top three. Stover is brilliant, RotS is easily the best Star Wars novel I've read, if not book I've read, and the opening is a compete masterpiece. Don't know about Zahn but I look forward to reading Thrawn to see if he's good. I'll get round to reading Dark Rendevous eventually.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Shadows of Mindor > DR? kek
I said it could be argued, though i have dr higher. The part where luke and shadowspan mentally battle is awesome imo

Geistalt
Star Wars' 3 Most Massive A$shole Authors:
1. Drew Karpyshyn
2. Dave Filoni
3. Tom Veitch

Geistalt
The Best:
1. Matthew Stover
2. Chris Avellone
3. James Luceno

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Geistalt
Star Wars' 3 Most Massive A$shole Authors:
1. Drew Karpyshyn
2. Dave Filoni
3. Tom Veitch
The fck does feloni get so much hate for. TCW was awesome, and outside of that he did atla

Geistalt
I don't hate him; he's just a douche for what's happened thus far in Rebels.

NemeBro
Originally posted by The_Tempest

You want a fantastic Star Wars book? Read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. thumb up I've already read it.

It was all right. Not as good as what I've read of Plagueis so far, but decent.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Geistalt
I don't hate him; he's just a douche for what's happened thus far in Rebels.
Its Disney, always blame disney

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.