Republicans attack class action lawsuits

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys

-Pr-
Wow.

Bashar Teg
so corporations would have the rights of people, but people won't.
good job republicans. thumb up how does satan's cock taste?

Surtur
I'd be curious as to how they justify this law?

Flyattractor
I more curious as to how much of a twist is being put on this from the sources that Neph pulled this from.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I more curious as to how much of a twist is being put on this from the sources that Neph pulled this from.

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer so when it is said they are making it "more difficult" I don't even know what that specifically entails.

Though speaking of Erin Brockovich lol read #6:

6 'Based on a True Story' Movies with Unpleasant Epilogues

She kinda sounds like a kunt.

Nephthys

Surtur

Nephthys
The judge. It says it in the quote.

Surtur
Yeah sorry see my edit.

Nephthys
It would discourage these kinds of lawsuits period. Why would a lawyer take the risk on this if they face potential harm and the financial benefit is uncertain. The idea isn't that judges would abuse this, its that now they're forced to punish lawyers simply for failing to meet their standard of proof. It's very draconian and obviously attempting to discourage lawyers from agreeing to represent people harmed by companies.

It also makes it very hard to do them at all, requiring that all were harmed equally in order to band together for a lawsuit. Meaning that more people would have to file them individually or in smaller numbers, putting greater financial pressure of them and limiting the evidence they can call upon. Which makes it easier to dismiss as frivolous.

It's disgustingly corrupt.

Surtur
What would you suggest we do to combat frivolous lawsuits?

Nephthys
Nothing more needs to be done. It isn't a real problem.

socool8520
You're cool with people suing over stubbed toes and such?

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by socool8520
You're cool with people suing over stubbed toes and such?

I ARE DOING LOGIC

Surtur
Originally posted by Nephthys
Nothing more needs to be done. It isn't a real problem.

What specific penalty would you have for people who bring frivolous lawsuits?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Surtur
What specific penalty would you have for people who bring frivolous lawsuits?

Oh something simple like.....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/58_-14iK2kk/hqdefault.jpg

Emperordmb
Well that's disgusting. So many republicans in political power seem to be corporatists masquerading as populists, like Donald Trump.

Both political parties have such a cancer in them, they're in need of realignment.

Stigma
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well that's disgusting. So many republicans in political power seem to be corporatists masquerading as populists, like Donald Trump.

Both political parties have such a cancer in them, they're in need of realignment.
Alt-Right and Ctrl-Left?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Stigma
Alt-Right and Ctrl-Left?
Basically yeah. A libertarian Right and Classical liberal left would be the ideal political realignment.

Surtur
Both sides need an overhaul, as well as our election system. No electoral college and a 1 term limit for presidents would be a nice start.

Emperordmb
I'm not sure about a 1 term limit, but yeah the electoral college needs to die.

Surtur
I'm not sure about a 1 term limit, but yeah the electoral college needs to die.

A one term limit is preferable IMO. Otherwise most of them want to run for a second term and that means during their first term they aren't just thinking about the country when they make decisions, but also possibly about how it will impact their chances at getting elected again.

I feel a 1 term limit would be better, with the possibility of changing it from 2 potential 4 year terms to a single 6 year term.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Stigma
Alt-Right and Ctrl-Left?
+Del.

NewGuy01
Basically yeah. A libertarian Right and Classical liberal left would be the ideal political realignment.

...you do realize those two things are exactly the same, right? Libertarians are classical liberals.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
+Del. Time for America to Force Quit, yeah.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Time for America The European Union to Force Quit, yeah.
ftfy thumb up

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Time for America to Force Quit giving money to Shithole Countries that do nothing that bad mouth us, yeah.

This I agree with.

dadudemon

dadudemon
Here is a website dedicated to Tort Reform in the US. The link is to each of the major issue areas:

http://www.atra.org/issues/

I should point out that Tort is a huge area of law. The lawsuit area that most are familiar with is only one area, for example.

Here are some areas that need reform:

1. Making it more difficult for a case to go to a jury trial.

2. Limiting the amount of money that can be paid out in a case (such as limiting punitive damages).

3. Limiting class-action lawsuits or the ability to form them.

4. Malpractice suits - limiting these in many ways.

5. Non-economic damages limits (such as CA having it capped at $250K).

Look through the link to see what it is about.

If I were to just throw my opinion on there on which states have the best Tort reform, I'd say it is California and Texas.

Perhaps Texas is more mature in their Tort reform because they focused on more than just the medical side of things.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.