Rebels vs The Old Republic - Which one is shittier?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
As the title says.

Geistalt
Can't get much worse than lightsaber helicopters.

MythLord
Or holistic rivals ending their fight in three moves.

ares834
Personally, all joking aside, I thought it was quite a fitting end for the character in context. The focus was on the emotion and backstory to the duel, and not on an excessive duel itself. And I thought it worked quite well. The duel itself being more evocative of a western gunfight or an old samurai duel rather then a prequel one.

Also, considering Maul's entire arc throughout TCW and Rebels, a big epic duel wouldn't have made a lot of sense. The two series have unraveled the character. He isn't truly some big bad ass, rather he is broken and tragic man. He is trying to piece back together his life, but his inability to let go of the past prevents him from ever truly doing so. ANd the final conversation between Maul and Kenobi is great. Beyond being a nice homage to TPM ("Is He the chosen One" vs "He is the Chosen One"wink, we see these two rivals find some common ground at last.

Azronger
Yeah, Rebels is shitting on everything, lol. At least TOR is so removed from the movies that it's not polluting them with its filth. Although I guess it, too, shat on KotOR and threw the continuity of the OR era in the dumpster.

TenebrousWay
The transition from KotOR to TOR wasn't that bad but I feel that the general plot in TOR is pretty shit. I think if they had used a more decentralized empire controlled by competing sith warlords with their own armies striking the Jedi from afar, it'd be much more immersive than two big factions that are just mirror each other.

Azronger
Rebels shat on Vader as well. His helmet looks stupid, he gets knocked over by Padawans, and fails to ragdoll them on a DS nexus. Yeah, definitely voting for Rebels here.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ares834
Personally, all joking aside, I thought it was quite a fitting end for the character in context. The focus was on the emotion and backstory to the duel, and not on an excessive duel itself. And I thought it worked quite well. The duel itself being more evocative of a western gunfight or an old samurai duel rather then a prequel one.

Also, considering Maul's entire arc throughout TCW and Rebels, a big epic duel wouldn't have made a lot of sense. The two series have unraveled the character. He isn't truly some big bad ass, rather he is broken and tragic man. He is trying to piece back together his life, but his inability to let go of the past prevents him from ever truly doing so. ANd the final conversation between Maul and Kenobi is great. Beyond being a nice homage to TPM ("Is He the chosen One" vs "He is the Chosen One"wink, we see these two rivals find some common ground at last. tbfh thumb up

Emperordmb
Rebels... this duel was worse than Dark Disciple

The_Tempest
Rebels is lackluster for many reasons and was underwhelming long before this episode. But the episode itself was indeed bad and the duel even worse. The 2 minute stare off and silent posturing before the actual fight was cringeworthy.

Also the idea that Kenobi would feel any meaningful degree of pity for prick is silly; that connection was never developed. Maybe if more time had been dedicated to their faceoff around the campfire and an actual back and forth conversation occurred...

And yeah, the duel itself was a poor way to send off Maul. I don't mind the deconstruction of the character, but Maul was billed as one of two Big Bads this season. Once again, Rebels proves it can't handle villains well, beyond the possible exception of Vader.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Also the idea that Kenobi would feel any meaningful degree of pity for prick is silly; that connection was never developed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFU3l91qpDg&t=0m50s mmm

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Beniboybling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFU3l91qpDg&t=0m50s mmm

Then he murders the love of his life lol.

Obi-Wan is an ice cold gangster who left his best friend on the side of a volcano to painfully roast to death. He's also the guy who lied to a boy to get him to murder aforementioned best friend.

The sympathy he offered Maul in this episode was undeserved for how it was executed.

FreshestSlice
The Old Republic is worse because it makes you actively participate in it's bullshit. You can at least laugh at Rebels as an observer.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Then he murders the love of his life lol.

Obi-Wan is an ice cold gangster who left his best friend on the side of a volcano to painfully roast to death. He's also the guy who lied to a boy to get him to murder aforementioned best friend.

The sympathy he offered Maul in this episode was undeserved for how it was executed. Quite, and yet while he was choking her with the Force Kenobi still tried to reach out for him. 20 years later and I don't see it as curious that Kenobi wouldn't be capable of offering sympathy again, rather, it's in his nature. Whereas what your essentially suggesting is that Kenobi would bear a grudge.

And I assume your being facetious about Kenobi not having sympathy for Vader, kek. As I recall, he was spotting partying with Vader's former self at the end of ROTJ. mmm

UCanShootMyNova
Nothing compares to the garbage fire that Rebels has become. It used to just be a dump but somebody's turned that sh!t into a disaster threat.

Lord Stark
The Old Republic is obviously shittier. It had a decent premise but they butchered Revan's character and the Sith Emperor plot languished on and on for far too long. + The Eternal Empire is the most ass pull shit I've ever seen. (Oh btw the Emperor built a secret power able to stomp both the Republic and the Empire). Basically an excuse so they didn't have to make 8 new plots. Turrible.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Nothing compares to the garbage fire that Rebels has become. It used to just be a dump but somebody's turned that sh!t into a disaster threat.
Rebels makes me think of Gehenna, a valley in Jerusalem where ****ed up shit like child sacrifice to Pagan gods and torturing people with fire used to happen before Jesus's time, then in Jesus's time it was a sewage dump area. Jesus mentioned it numerous times to make a point, and in numerous versions of the Bible Gehenna was translated to hell or was believed to be a metaphor for Hell.

So Gehenna... a place of torture and child sacrifice, a sewage dump, and what some people believe to be an allegory for hell... sums up Rebels pretty well.

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

TenebrousWay
Very poetic and accurate, dmb!

Rockydonovang
A crap fight=/ a crap story guys
It was a great episode on its own and had a great story and clever context/storytelling and solid thematic representation. The fight was rushed but even it was representative of what the story was going for, that letting go of past grudges>holding on to them.
Disney canon is mostly crap and its fair to say this fight/rivalry was too rushed(I think it deserved a movie) but the episode itself was good

nfactor1995
Considering I like SWTOR and the Old Republic era in general...Rebels is worse by default

SunRazer
Originally posted by ares834

Also, considering Maul's entire arc throughout TCW and Rebels, a big epic duel wouldn't have made a lot of sense. The two series have unraveled the character. He isn't truly some big bad ass, rather he is broken and tragic man. He is trying to piece back together his life, but his inability to let go of the past prevents him from ever truly doing so. ANd the final conversation between Maul and Kenobi is great. Beyond being a nice homage to TPM ("Is He the chosen One" vs "He is the Chosen One"wink, we see these two rivals find some common ground at last.

thumb up

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Azronger
As the title says.

Rebels.

To be fair Rebels does have its good points (the episode where Sabine learns to use the Dark Sabre is pretty good) and TOR does have its problems, but overall TOR is such an incredibly diverse setting with so much potential and great ideas to explore.

The Dark Temple, the Infernal One, the Power Guards, the Children of the Emperor, the Hoth pirates, the Great Hunt, the list goes on. Any one of these makes for a great story and TOR has a bunch of them. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from TOR. Heck, I've even considered writing Smuggler/Bounty Hunter/Agent characters and I normally have no interest in non-Jedi characters.

Rebels? I haven't gotten a single plot idea from it.

Rockydonovang
stwor sucks.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
stwor sucks.

Why?

Emperordmb
Thought the two episodes today were great. Thrawn was handled really well IMO

Maybe Rebels is starting to take a step out of Gehenna.

Darth Abonis
Wow. You guys are harsh. I like Rebels.

Dark-Kenshin
Comparing the first two seasons alone, TOR. Rebels was building itself to have a lot of potential. Season 3 of rebels shitts on all that potential though. I don't see this show lasting past another season if the writing quality remains the same.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.