Defenders vs. Agents of SHIELD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
Defenders:

Daredevil
Ironfist
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage

Agents of SHIELD:

Melinda May
Ward (human Ward)
Daisy Johnson
Director Mace (fully powered) - if you're not familiar with Director Mace, substitute Deathlok

Round 1: Combatants are in standard gear and are fighting to the death
Round 2: Pure h2h fight, combatants are fighting in street clothes. Ironfist is only allowed to use his chi-fist if Quake is allowed to use her powers. Otheriwse, pure h2h and no power channeling.

TheVaultDweller
This is an extremely difficult fight to call. The teams are pretty well balanced in terms of overall skill and damage output. For now, I am leaning towards the SHIELD team, because they are experienced working with each other, and we have yet to see how the Defenders operate as a team.

tkitna
Daisy is the only one on Shield that would pose any problems. Defenders win.

FrothByte
Originally posted by tkitna
Daisy is the only one on Shield that would pose any problems. Defenders win.

You really don't think Director Mace poses a problem even if he can stop an SUV in its tracks? And May and Ward are both fighters at least equal to DD.

TheVaultDweller
Mace might be strong but he is a really shit fighter. It was shown that without his powers he is basically fodder to any skilled combatant.

FrothByte
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Mace might be strong but he is a really shit fighter. It was shown that without his powers he is basically fodder to any skilled combatant.

True but I'd still put him over JJ in a fight.

Supermutant
Luke beats the Patriot, DD & Ironfist beats Ward and May. Quake beats JJ and is tripled team, but takes out DD and Danny However, that distraction and Luke's invulnerability will protect him long enough to get one solid hit in. Defenders win

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by FrothByte
True but I'd still put him over JJ in a fight.

Yeah, but I see him getting his ass kicked quite thoroughly by Luke. Daisy is SHIELD's only really good shot of putting Luke down, if she really goes hard at him with her powers. Jessica's role would pretty much be to keep someone busy while the rest of her team try and put down SHIELD members.

Iron Fist is the wildcard here, IMO. Despite the crappy choreography, his skill level is strongly implied throughout the show, given the various opponents he fights and defeats, and the Iron Fist could potentially incapacitate at least 3 out of the 4 members of Team SHIELD if he lands a clean hit. On the flip side, Danny seems to get hurt more easily than Daredevil does, so the members on Team SHIELD could definitely do some damage if they got hits in.

TethAdamTheRock
Luke Cage soloes to be honest

FrothByte
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Luke Cage soloes to be honest

Or... Daisy spams the entire Defenders team with quakes and takes out everyone except Cage, then Cage gets quadruple teamed.

FrothByte
Yeah, but I see him getting his ass kicked quite thoroughly by Luke. Daisy is SHIELD's only really good shot of putting Luke down, if she really goes hard at him with her powers. Jessica's role would pretty much be to keep someone busy while the rest of her team try and put down SHIELD members.

Iron Fist is the wildcard here, IMO. Despite the crappy choreography, his skill level is strongly implied throughout the show, given the various opponents he fights and defeats, and the Iron Fist could potentially incapacitate at least 3 out of the 4 members of Team SHIELD if he lands a clean hit. On the flip side, Danny seems to get hurt more easily than Daredevil does, so the members on Team SHIELD could definitely do some damage if they got hits in.

Mace was trading blows with Ghost Rider and none of them seemed like they were going down anytime soon. That's some pretty high end durability. When Cage fought superpowered opponents he always seemed to get hurt by those hits. So I wouldn't discount Mace that easily. Not saying he actually wins against Cage but I doubt Cage will have an easy time with him.

I think the real ace card here is Daisy, as she can hit the entire Defenders team with her shockwaves and take out 3 of the 4 of them on her own. That's why in round 2 I limited it to street clothes so Daisy is limited on how much she can shockwave since she'll be without her bracers.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Supermutant
Luke beats the Patriot, DD & Ironfist beats Ward and May. Quake beats JJ and is tripled team, but takes out DD and Danny However, that distraction and Luke's invulnerability will protect him long enough to get one solid hit in. Defenders win

Fair enough. I'd argue though that Daisy can probably beat JJ faster than Luke, DD and Ironfist can beat their respective opponents.

TheVaultDweller
Mace was trading blows with Ghost Rider and none of them seemed like they were going down anytime soon. That's some pretty high end durability. When Cage fought superpowered opponents he always seemed to get hurt by those hits. So I wouldn't discount Mace that easily. Not saying he actually wins against Cage but I doubt Cage will have an easy time with him.

Mace looked like he was barely conscious when Ghost Rider stopped hitting him. He didn't even last a full minute before other people had to get Robbie to stand down and, other than the toss at the beginning, we only see him land a single hit. Fight starts around the 1:30 mark.

47VLvs6n2B4

Luke took a far more extensive beating from Diamondback, and walked away from that fight not that much worse for wear.

I think the real ace card here is Daisy, as she can hit the entire Defenders team with her shockwaves and take out 3 of the 4 of them on her own.

If Danny does an area groundslam with the Iron Fist, he could do similar.

FrothByte
Mace looked like he was barely conscious when Ghost Rider stopped hitting him. He didn't even last a full minute before other people had to get Robbie to stand down and, other than the toss at the beginning, we only see him land a single hit. Fight starts around the 1:30 mark.

47VLvs6n2B4

Luke took a far more extensive beating from Diamondback, and walked away from that fight not that much worse for wear.

If Danny does an area groundslam with the Iron Fist, he could do similar.

Seems I remembered that fight incorrectly. I stand corrected. Guess I should have stuck with Deathlok instead of Mace. But I felt that Deathlok was too heavily armed. Though in hindsight, Ghost Rider would probably have been a better melee match for Cage.

As for Ironfist, I haven't gotten far enough into the series to see him do groundslams. Can he do them as easily and as often as Daisy does her shockwaves?

TheVaultDweller
Seems I remembered that fight incorrectly. I stand corrected. Guess I should have stuck with Deathlok instead of Mace. But I felt that Deathlok was too heavily armed. Though in hindsight, Ghost Rider would probably have been a better melee match for Cage.

Yeah, Mace has been rather underwhelming overall. I honestly expected, and hoped, for more. Ghost Rider vs Luke in pure H2H would be a looooooooooooooong ass battle. Full powerset I would go with Ghost Rider though, seeing as his flames are magical, and "burn right down to the soul" or something along those lines.

As for Ironfist, I haven't gotten far enough into the series to see him do groundslams. Can he do them as easily and as often as Daisy does her shockwaves?

Well, he doesn't use his full power very often. But the instance in which he did a groundslam he did it pretty much instantly, with maybe a second's build up. And he had used the Fist shortly before that, and also used it again shortly after (to deflect a bullet), so it doesn't completely drain him either.

tkitna
I see DD throwing a bill club in Daisys face to take her down. I dont see the Defenders having to much of an issue here.

FrothByte
I see DD throwing a bill club in Daisys face to take her down. I dont see the Defenders having to much of an issue here.

I think you underestimate just how good at fighting the SHIELD agents are. Both May and Skye have fought against superpowered opponents and done fairly well. That's something that DD has never done IIRC.

Unless DD times that throw perfectly, Daisy can easily deflect his club.

wakkawakkawakka
This seems like a pretty tough battle for either side with Luke and Daisy being the ace of their respective teams.

R2 would pose a challenge given that Luke could take out everyone except possibly Mace with a solid hit. Also while supposedly powerful, Danny doesn't seem like something that would cause May or Ward that much of a problem or rather any more of a problem than Jessica.

Ultimately I think the Agents take R1 but not entirely sure on R2.

KingD19
DD is capable of ricocheting his club. Daisy might not even see it coming once he realizes the air distortions or however he sees them are coming from her hands.

I'd say Danny is above May and Ward, a good fight for him, but above them as he is the Iron Fist and a titular character. For example, it was off-screen, but he did fight Shao-Lao. And he can rapidfire the IF off if he feels like it, so a normal punch could turn into a fisting instantly. He's also used it to break limbs by blocking a punch/kick with his.

tkitna
I think you underestimate just how good at fighting the SHIELD agents are. Both May and Skye have fought against superpowered opponents and done fairly well. That's something that DD has never done IIRC.

Unless DD times that throw perfectly, Daisy can easily deflect his club.

I don't remember them being all that impressive. I think May and Ward are the low characters on the totem pole here to be honest. Again, Daisy is the only one that I can see the Defenders having to worry about. They take her out and it should be over shortly after.

FrothByte
I don't remember them being all that impressive. I think May and Ward are the low characters on the totem pole here to be honest. Again, Daisy is the only one that I can see the Defenders having to worry about. They take her out and it should be over shortly after.

Both May and Ward take out fodder easier than s1 Daredevil. S1 Daredevil struggled with thugs that May/Ward would have bulldozed over. It wasn't till season 2 that DD truly upgraded his knockout power.

May also has feats of fighting against asgardian-enhanced thugs. Daisy has taken hits from Ghost Rider.

BruceSkywalker
going with Shield only because they have actually teamed up as a team.. the defenders netflix show isn;t out yet to judge fully how well they act like a team...

tkitna
Both May and Ward take out fodder easier than s1 Daredevil. S1 Daredevil struggled with thugs that May/Ward would have bulldozed over. It wasn't till season 2 that DD truly upgraded his knockout power.

May also has feats of fighting against asgardian-enhanced thugs. Daisy has taken hits from Ghost Rider.

Luckily the OP didn't make the thread with restrictions of DD only being from season 1. Season 2 DD was taking on bucket loads of Hand Ninjas. May and Ward aren't doing that.

What hits has Daisy taken from Ghost Rider? Do you mean the ones before he actually changed. The only hit she took was when she got floored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjNrIWaOY3E

Here's another interaction where Robby beat her down without even changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASXxpU7-DM

If she cant take them down with her powers, she's toast.

FrothByte
Luckily the OP didn't make the thread with restrictions of DD only being from season 1. Season 2 DD was taking on bucket loads of Hand Ninjas. May and Ward aren't doing that.

What hits has Daisy taken from Ghost Rider? Do you mean the ones before he actually changed. The only hit she took was when she got floored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjNrIWaOY3E

Here's another interaction where Robby beat her down without even changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASXxpU7-DM

If she cant take them down with her powers, she's toast.

DD didn't get some kind of strength or power upgrade between S1 and S2, which leads us to believe his increase in KO power is due to his armored costume and weighted gauntlets. As stated in OP however, the h2h fight is done in street clothes, meaning he'll be performing closer to how he was in S1 which means both Ward and May have better feats of stomping fodder than DD has.

Ward and May both have numerous feats of taking out SHIELD/Hydra agents as well as inhumans. May has feats of going up against Asgardian enhanced humans. DD has no feats to match.

And I have to apologize to misremembering Daisy's fight against GR. Seems my memory is foggy with anything to do with GR at the moment. Let me pose her fight against LMD Mace instead as proof that Daisy (and by extension May and Ward) can go up against physically superior opponents. Something that DD has no feats to compare with.

wakkawakkawakka
So is Deathlok being used now instead of Mace?

FrothByte
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
So is Deathlok being used now instead of Mace?

He's an option. Feel free to use him instead of Mace.

tkitna
DD didn't get some kind of strength or power upgrade between S1 and S2, which leads us to believe his increase in KO power is due to his armored costume and weighted gauntlets. As stated in OP however, the h2h fight is done in street clothes, meaning he'll be performing closer to how he was in S1 which means both Ward and May have better feats of stomping fodder than DD has.

I take it as he became a better fighter, but I can see your point too. I think about all the Hand Ninja's he stomped, but then again, I think about the staircase brawl and I can actually see May or Ward doing what he did there (been awhile since I've seen it though).

Just watched it again and I don't know now. One thing I noticed is DD is more of a brawler and not as fluid as May or Ward. Think they could get through that mess? Not saying they cant, just looking for your opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AvWkrppsg

May fighting Asgardians I cant remember. I'm sure its when Sif came to Earth, but I'd have to rewatch it.

Yeah, DD hasent been pitted against any meta's so far so i'll have to give you that. Still haven't finished Iron Fist yet (ep. 10), but he appears to be a better fighter and harder to handle than Matt.

I don't know. I still think Daisy is the key for Shield to win though. She's going to have to take out Cage if they want a chance.

TheVaultDweller
DD didn't get some kind of strength or power upgrade between S1 and S2, which leads us to believe his increase in KO power is due to his armored costume and weighted gauntlets.

You can't really claim this for sure. For all we know, he has been hitting the gym more and improved his strength. Or it's an improvement in his actual skill and technique, as someone else has mentioned. We know he's been very active since he started. To assume he just stayed on the exact same level in terms of ability despite all the activity is rather flawed IMO. When he and Elektra snuck into that one building in S2, and battled the Yakuza guys, he had no suit or gauntlets with him, and took those guys out with much more ease than he did in S1. Even one-shotted one of the guy who they were looking for's personal bodyguard. During his fight with the Dogs of Hell, he actually kicked a guy hard enough to send him flying the length of the stairwell and, during his final fight with Nobu, he used his billy club to one arm flick him a good distance over that railing. His feats suggest an overall improvement in strength. Not just striking power. Which can easily be explained by him just training harder.

It would also hardly be the first power creep that has happened in Marvel. Cap went from struggling to bend metal railings in TFA to holding down helicopters in CW. Luke Cage went from actually being staggered backwards from muscular human hits, in JJ, to people breaking their arms trying to hit him full force in his own show. The notion that Daredevil became a better fighter and got a bit stronger is hardly out there in comparison.

TheHulk
Very interesting thread. I would like to go with Defenders but we don't know how good of a team they are.

FrothByte
You can't really claim this for sure. For all we know, he has been hitting the gym more and improved his strength. Or it's an improvement in his actual skill and technique, as someone else has mentioned. We know he's been very active since he started. To assume he just stayed on the exact same level in terms of ability despite all the activity is rather flawed IMO. When he and Elektra snuck into that one building in S2, and battled the Yakuza guys, he had no suit or gauntlets with him, and took those guys out with much more ease than he did in S1. Even one-shotted one of the guy who they were looking for's personal bodyguard. During his fight with the Dogs of Hell, he actually kicked a guy hard enough to send him flying the length of the stairwell and, during his final fight with Nobu, he used his billy club to one arm flick him a good distance over that railing. His feats suggest an overall improvement in strength. Not just striking power. Which can easily be explained by him just training harder.

It would also hardly be the first power creep that has happened in Marvel. Cap went from struggling to bend metal railings in TFA to holding down helicopters in CW. Luke Cage went from actually being staggered backwards from muscular human hits, in JJ, to people breaking their arms trying to hit him full force in his own show. The notion that Daredevil became a better fighter and got a bit stronger is hardly out there in comparison.

Ok fair enough. To me Cap's improvement was a bit gradual so I attributed it as power creep whereas DD's improvement was much more instantaneous. But your point on Cage is valid, so I'll concede to a power creep. Seems like it's bound to happen anyway (unless your name is Oliver Queen, and you instead de-creep).

Anyway, I'm still sticking to my main point that May and Ward are at the very least around DD's level . I've gotten far enough into Ironfist that I now consider Rand a notch above them in skill and offensive output but a bit lower on the durability scale.

FrothByte
I take it as he became a better fighter, but I can see your point too. I think about all the Hand Ninja's he stomped, but then again, I think about the staircase brawl and I can actually see May or Ward doing what he did there (been awhile since I've seen it though).

Just watched it again and I don't know now. One thing I noticed is DD is more of a brawler and not as fluid as May or Ward. Think they could get through that mess? Not saying they cant, just looking for your opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AvWkrppsg

May fighting Asgardians I cant remember. I'm sure its when Sif came to Earth, but I'd have to rewatch it.

Yeah, DD hasent been pitted against any meta's so far so i'll have to give you that. Still haven't finished Iron Fist yet (ep. 10), but he appears to be a better fighter and harder to handle than Matt.

I don't know. I still think Daisy is the key for Shield to win though. She's going to have to take out Cage if they want a chance.

May didn't fight actual Asgardians per se, but humans who find an Asgardian berserker staff that granted them Asgardian physical strength. Tried to find a youtube vid but was harder than I expected. IIRC, she eventually got hold of the staff in the end and beat them by using it's powers, but for a bit she was able to keep up with them despite their enhanced physicality.

There are other examples as well, like when she tried to detain Creel. But anyway, my point is not to say they can easily beat DD. Just that May, Ward, DD and Ironfist are all good enough to keep each other busy for quite a while.

I think in the end, the winner of the fight will depend on who matches up with who. For example, Defenders can win if they set Cage against Ward and May, because those 2 can't really take out Cage. Get IF to dance around Mace and hopefully knock him out with enough iron fisting. Then have JJ and DD tag team Daisy. If they can beat her great. If not, at least last long enough for IF to join the fray.

Or, AoS can win with a matchup like this:

Set Daisy on Luke Cage. Cage isn't fast enough to dodge her blasts, and with unlimited blasts she can keep him off his feat indefinitely. Plus what the shotgun blast taught us is that Cage's brain isn't as tough as the rest of him, so Daisy could theoretically pulp his brain with enough shockwaves.

Get Mace to match JJ. I consider Mace to have better feats that JJ so I don't see JJ winning this match.

Then match Ward and May against IF and DD. IF will eventually defeat whoever he's matched with but they should be able to keep him occupied long enough for the 2 big AoS guns to finish with their respective fights.

TheVaultDweller
Ok fair enough. To me Cap's improvement was a bit gradual so I attributed it as power creep whereas DD's improvement was much more instantaneous. But your point on Cage is valid, so I'll concede to a power creep. Seems like it's bound to happen anyway (unless your name is Oliver Queen, and you instead de-creep).

Oliver is more like a yoyo-creep. He's become a lot like the Flash in recent times. His fighting capabilities fluctuate depending on the progress of the plot at any given point. In the same episode, he goes from fighting China White, Liza Warner and Cupid simultaneously and doing well, to having his hands full with China White alone later on.

Anyway, I'm still sticking to my main point that May and Ward are at the very least around DD's level . I've gotten far enough into Ironfist that I now consider Rand a notch above them in skill and offensive output but a bit lower on the durability scale.

I feel the same, which is why I said that I felt the overall skill levels of the two teams were pretty close, in my initial post. And yeah, Danny seems to have the most skill, the Iron Fist gives him a huge striking advantage, and he seems better at avoiding getting hit in return. But when he does get hit, he doesn't seem to handle it as well as the others. Blows that May, Ward, DD and even Daisy might shrug off seem to have a greater effect on him.

TheVaultDweller
Set Daisy on Luke Cage. Cage isn't fast enough to dodge her blasts, and with unlimited blasts she can keep him off his feat indefinitely. Plus what the shotgun blast taught us is that Cage's brain isn't as tough as the rest of him, so Daisy could theoretically pulp his brain with enough shockwaves.

The shotgun is highly inconsistent with his overall durability feats though. Beyond the other showings, when Cage fought Diamondback, Diamondback kneed him right under the chin (same spot as the shotgun) with enough force to send him flying over a dozen feet through the air and land on top of an SUV. And all it did was it stun/daze him a bit. But as I pointed out previously, based on feats, he got a power creep in between shows.

However, I still think Daisy could hurt him. In her fight with that Russian villain guy (I forget his name), a quick blast from her knocked out a thick concrete pillar and caused a large chunk of the ceiling to collapse on him. A single blast won't do the job, but if she hits Luke with enough of them she could ruin his day.

tkitna
I just finished Iron Fist and now I cant see Shield winning if Danny brings his A game. That punch that took out an entire floor of a skyscraper (not room, but floor) is so much above anything that any of the others characters can bring that its silly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.