Length of Lightsaber Duels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi:

- Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi: 4 minutes, 24 seconds

- Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon Jinn (until laser shields): 46 seconds

- Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon Jinn (until Qui-Gon's death): 33 seconds

- Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan Kenobi: 40 seconds

Total: 383 seconds

Dooku vs Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Yoda:

- Dooku vs Obi-Wan Kenobi (w/ talking): 55 seconds

- Dooku vs Anakin Skywalker: 39 seconds

- Dooku vs Yoda (lightsaber fight only): 29 seconds

Total: 123 seconds

Darth Sidious vs Darth Maul and Savage Opress:

- Palpatine vs Darth Maul and Savage Opress (until split): 1 minute, 45 seconds

- Palpatine vs Savage Opress: 17 seconds

- Palpatine vs Darth Maul: 25 seconds

Total: 147 seconds

Dooku vs Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker:

- Dooku vs Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker (w/o talking, until split): 12 seconds

- Dooku vs Anakin Skywalker (until Obi-Wan rejoins): 15 seconds

- Dooku vs Anakin Skywalker (w/ talking, until bladelock ends): 19 seconds

- Dooku vs Anakin Skywalker: 12 seconds

Total: 58 seconds

Grievous vs Obi-Wan Kenobi:

- Grievous vs Obi-Wan Kenobi (w/ four arms): 10 seconds

- Grievous vs Obi-Wan Kenobi (w/ three arms): 10 seconds

- Grievous vs Obi-Wan Kenobi (until clone intervention): 4 seconds

Total: 24 seconds

Darth Sidious vs Mace Windu:

- Darth Sidious vs Mace Windu (until Saesee's death): 3 seconds

- Darth Sidious vs Mace Windu (until Kit's death): 5 seconds

- Darth Sidious vs Mace Windu (until disarming): 1 minute, 8 seconds

Total: 76 seconds

Darth Sidious vs Yoda:

- Darth Sidious vs Yoda (w/ lightsabers, on ground, until scene cut): 11 seconds

- Darth Sidious vs Yoda (w/ lightsabers, not-on-screen): 26 seconds

- Darth Sidious vs Yoda (w/ lightsabers, on pods, until scene cut): 32 seconds

- Darth Sidious vs Yoda (w/ lightsabers and w/ Force, disarming of Palpatine, not-on-screen): 49 seconds

- Darth Sidious vs Yoda (until Force explosion): 1 minute, 11 seconds

Total: 189 seconds

Anakin Skywalker vs Obi-Wan Kenobi:

- Anakin Skywalker vs Obi-Wan Kenobi (the entire fight): 11 minutes, 42 seconds

Total: 702 seconds

---

Thoughts? Feel free to add additional fights or correct me on my times.

The reason I did this because you can't tell from YouTube the duration of the fights going on if there are time-skips.

Thus, these calculations included the off-screen fighting time if there were any, and for most fights there were.

DarthAnt66
Some observations I'd like to point out:

- Palpatine handled Maul roughly the same duration Yoda handled Dooku.

- Anakin defeated Dooku far faster than Palpatine did Maul or Yoda did Dooku.

- Kenobi handled Grievous ridiculously fast. Putting it in seconds really shows that.

Geistalt
Yoda was burdened by morality. Didn't want to let Obi-Wan or his lil' Chosen One get injured.

And Palps was jacking with them. He obviously could've ended them both with TK at any given moment

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Geistalt
Yoda was burdened by morality.

Not really. erm

I'm referring to the final duel, in which I'd say he wasn't.

Maul legitimately held his own, but only for 25 seconds.

Rockydonovang
One thing to consider is fights fo faster in animated meduims

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Not really. erm

I'm referring to the final duel, in which I'd say he wasn't.

Maul legitimately held his own, but only for 25 seconds.
Not really, even when maul was rage amped in that last 25 seconds, sidious was still ramping up the speed of his strkes up untill he actually disarmed

DarthAnt66
That doesn't mean Palpatine wasn't trying. erm

I never suggested he immediately began fighting on the same caliber he was at the end of his fight vs Yoda.

Fights generally always ramp up as things progress.

Rockydonovang
That doesn't mean Palpatine wasn't trying. erm

I never suggested he immediately began fighting on the same caliber he was at the end of his fight vs Yoda.

Fights generally always ramp up as things progress.
no, but given that sidious was able to speed up at will(and maul was less able to react as he sped up), it indicates he wasn't going all out. Also, maul was rage amped in a medium where rage amps allow pre prime oppress to simultaneously ragdoll dooku+ventress and allows an injured ventress to simultaneously ragdoll tcw kenobi+tcw anakin

nfactor1995
Ant, you don't think Sidious was still toying with or holding back against Maul at the end of their fight? (when Maul drew the darksaber right after Savage died)

SunRazer
There's some synctime involved, so you can't count the seconds literally and measure the fights based on that. However, this should still give a general approach.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by nfactor1995
Ant, you don't think Sidious was still toying with or holding back against Maul at the end of their fight? (when Maul drew the darksaber right after Savage died)
Palpatine wanted Maul alive whereas Maul wanted Palpatine dead, but I don't think Palpatine was jobbing, no.

samappo
- Kenobi handled Grievous ridiculously fast. Putting it in seconds really shows that.

Makes sense, since Windu said Kenobi was the Jedi to take Grievous down. Not to say Windu himself or say Anakin wink Yoda or Drallig couldn't, but Kebobi was the best suited, in Windu's opinion.

Rockydonovang
which makes tcw grveious's manhandling of tcw kenobi(as a duelist) all the more impressive

ares834
Anakin Skywalker vs Obi-Wan Kenobi:

- Anakin Skywalker vs Obi-Wan Kenobi (the entire fight): 11 minutes, 42 seconds

Total: 702 seconds

This is a problem.

Rockydonovang
Some observations I'd like to point out:

- Palpatine handled Maul roughly the same duration Yoda handled Dooku.

- Anakin defeated Dooku far faster than Palpatine did Maul or Yoda did Dooku.

Couple of things worth noting:
-dooku retreated because he was in a losing battle and could have fought a bit longer without losing(assuming yoda wasn't holding back or going easy on him).
-But given that yoda didn't let go of his attachment to dooku untill the end of dark rendvous, he argably was holding back here.

-The Maul sidious faced was enraged and sidious wasn't going all out as shown by him being able to greatly up his speed untill maul couldn't react to him/].

-given that tcw fights are faster than movie fights, maul's fight vs sidious likely lasted longer than yoda's vs dooku

-Kenobi's fight vs grevious would have gone loner had it not been for a force bfr

Azronger
Palpatine wanted Maul alive whereas Maul wanted Palpatine dead, but I don't think Palpatine was jobbing, no.

Palpatine was toying with Maul until the end, according to SW.com. Fact. He also straight up blitzes him in SC.

Azronger
But good job overall. This has made look at some of the duels in a different light.

SunRazer
One thing we can't lose sight of is fight outcomes. Palpatine vs Maul having a similar time to Dooku vs Yoda doesn't mean much when Maul ended up having no sabers by the end of his duel with Palpatine, whereas Dooku fled his fight with Yoda but at least wasn't disarmed.

samappo
Originally posted by SunRazer
One thing we can't lose sight of is fight outcomes. Palpatine vs Maul having a similar time to Dooku vs Yoda doesn't mean much when Maul ended up having no sabers by the end of his duel with Palpatine, whereas Dooku fled his fight with Yoda but at least wasn't disarmed.

That is true. But even then Sidious didn't need to disarm Maul through lightsaber combat if he didn't want to. Easily could have ragdolled him instead. Probably just tried to prove a point or have fun, or both.

What I find really odd about the duel with Dooku and Yoda was Dooku's arrogance despite him being taught by Yoda and being a premiere swordsmen when he was a Jedi. As far as I know he goes into that fight actually thinking he could challenge Yoda, but he really didn't stand a chance. 30 seconds and he decided to run before he got spanked.

SunRazer
That doesn't have anything to do with my point. Yoda could've ragdolled Dooku as well; the point is that in their respective lightsaber engagements, Dooku not only outlasted Maul but also outperformed him, albeit under more favourable circumstances (unless you think Maul was enraged).

Rockydonovang
Maul was enraged and sidious wasn't going all out(just as with yoda). .

samappo
Do we really know if Yoda was or wasn't going all out?

Assuming Yoda and Sidious are almost dead equal (they're not, Sidious is superior) then it makes sense that Dooku outlasted Maul. That is why Dooku > Maul. Which is obvious anyway. Just like Vader > Dooku > Maul essentially. At least to me it is.

Rockydonovang
Given that yoda hadn't let go of his attachment to dooku till the end of dark rendevous, its reasonable to say he wasn't trying to kill him in aotc.

Yoda and sidious are virtually equals so the comparison still works.

Its plausible rebels maul surpassed dooku(though I doubt it).

SunRazer
Yoda wasn't trying to kill him, but he was still trying to beat him.

samappo
Yoda and Sidious are pretty much equals, but Sidious is higher.

And TCW/Rebels Maul couldn't take Dooku I think.

Rockydonovang
I don't either, but its not impossible. Though given dooku's calmness, he's probably perfectly suited for matchup wise vs maul

SunRazer
Dooku's calmness is only well-suited for exploiting mistakes that Maul makes, and that comes down to Dooku's precision more than anything else. Otherwise, I'm not seeing what benefits his calmness provides.

That being said, he's just better. Contrary to oft-made claims, Maul's strength could hardly press the Count and Tyranus is simply more skilled, powerful, knowledgeable, masterful, experienced, etc. Maul's more resilient, but that's about it.

Rockydonovang
I was talking about rebels maul.

Rockydonovang
And yes, one can very easily compare dooku and tcw maul simply by looking at their fights vs kenobi(who dooku faced in less favourable circmstanmces and who dooku faced superior verisons of)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.