There's no way Revan would actually win a fight against the Exile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kreyghun
While browsing some articles on the Star Wars wiki, I was reminded of the age-old debate of 'Revan vs. Exile, who would win?'. What struck me was the huge disparity between the personal growth Revan and the Exile underwent in their respective games. For reference, here are a few snippets from the wiki page of the latter:

This isn't stuff from some obscure novel or comic that was retroactively added to the Exile's backstory, this all happens in the game, and is reinforced both in the story and through gameplay mechanics. The Exile went through a genuine spiritual journey. Besides improving his combat skills, he also learned to resist mental torture, heighten his senses to detect hidden or even future threats, awaken others to their unrealized Force potential and teach them to be Jedi, etc. By contrast, Revan learned to...uh. Well, he learned to swoop ride so well he won the race on Taris to free Bastila? Seriously, the equivalent section on Revan's wiki page is almost completely empty compared to the Exile's. It mostly lists what other characters believed Revan capable of, not any actual specifics of what he learned.

I'm well aware of Revan's numerous exploits, but that's just the thing. It's not that Revan became such a popular character because all of his amazing exploits, it's that those exploits were only later added into his backstory because of how popular he was. Almost none of the things he's famed for actually happened in Kotor. Ironically, Kotor 2 is probably the biggest culprit of inflating Revan's myth, since it retconned Revan into some sort of strategical mastermind who attacked the Republic for the greater good.

Based on the things we actually see with our own eyes, I don't think Revan could stand a chance against the Exile.

Beniboybling
I agree, Exile would probably stomp.

Petrus
Beni, I notice that the carthage inside you has been growing as of late. Suppress it. smile

cs_zoltan
There's a carthage in every man and it stirs when you put a keyboard in his hands.

Beniboybling
yes

Dark-Kenshin
Originally posted by Kreyghun
While browsing some articles on the Star Wars wiki, I was reminded of the age-old debate of 'Revan vs. Exile, who would win?'. What struck me was the huge disparity between the personal growth Revan and the Exile underwent in their respective games. For reference, here are a few snippets from the wiki page of the latter:

This isn't stuff from some obscure novel or comic that was retroactively added to the Exile's backstory, this all happens in the game, and is reinforced both in the story and through gameplay mechanics. The Exile went through a genuine spiritual journey. Besides improving his combat skills, he also learned to resist mental torture, heighten his senses to detect hidden or even future threats, awaken others to their unrealized Force potential and teach them to be Jedi, etc. By contrast, Revan learned to...uh. Well, he learned to swoop ride so well he won the race on Taris to free Bastila? Seriously, the equivalent section on Revan's wiki page is almost completely empty compared to the Exile's. It mostly lists what other characters believed Revan capable of, not any actual specifics of what he learned.

I'm well aware of Revan's numerous exploits, but that's just the thing. It's not that Revan became such a popular character because all of his amazing exploits, it's that those exploits were only later added into his backstory because of how popular he was. Almost none of the things he's famed for actually happened in Kotor. Ironically, Kotor 2 is probably the biggest culprit of inflating Revan's myth, since it retconned Revan into some sort of strategical mastermind who attacked the Republic for the greater good.

Based on the things we actually see with our own eyes, I don't think Revan could stand a chance against the Exile. Revan > Darth Nyriss >Exile

Geistalt
thumb up

MythLord
A freaking wikipage... truly the source of ultimate informaton...

DarthAnt66
Revan distinegrated the same Sith Lord that humiliated the Exile.

Further, Revan is outright confirmed to be more powerful than her.

Unbowed
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Revan distinegrated the same Sith Lord that humiliated the Exile.

Further, Revan is outright confirmed to be more powerful than her.
And both events were authored by a hack.

Revan was always shit compared to the exile.

carthage
KOTOR sucks dick

quanchi112
Originally posted by carthage
KOTOR sucks dick Weak.

Trocity
Good thread.

Revan stomps.

samappo
Revan stomps, there's no debating it really.

Fated Xtasy
Yeah... Unfortunately, little one, you need more than a wiki page to even consider starting an argument.

Next time tho :3

darthbane77
Given the fact that Revan's feats far outstrip Meetra's own, as well as the fact that Revan annihilated the Sith Lord that was stomping Meetra, I'd say you're wrong here.

Kreyghun
Originally posted by MythLord
A freaking wikipage... truly the source of ultimate informaton... You might have a point if we were discussing quantum physics. Then obviously a wiki article would be a poor scientific source. But when it's something like the plot of a video game, wiki pages are pretty reliable. All the things I listed in my post did happen after all. Or are you going to deny their existence?

Originally posted by darthbane77
Given the fact that Revan's feats far outstrip Meetra's own, as well as the fact that Revan annihilated the Sith Lord that was stomping Meetra, I'd say you're wrong here. You do realize I acknowleged precisely that? Did you somehow miss the paragraph in my post where I alluded to Revan's numerous exploits?

So yeah sure, Revan is technically stronger. But not in a way that feels earned or believable. Again, there's no denying the fact that Revan started out as little more than a plot twist (and a nonsensical one at that) in his own game and needed tons of other pieces of Star Wars fiction to fill in the gaps about his character.

Just look at something like the ability of battle precognition, with both the Exile and Revan possess. In Kotor 2, the Exile learns this ability from the Handmaiden, who is a member of the Echani warrior-race. It allows the Exile to add his wisdom modifier to his defense score. Gameplay and story work in tandem to convey character growth. Furthermore, the sparring matches between the Exile and the Handmaiden have a philosophical bent pertaining to the the ethics of combat and warfare.

By contrast, I didn't even know Revan was supposed to possess battle precognition until I read it on his wiki page. Yet there's no explanation of how he learned it, or from who, or how he utilizes it, etc. Absolutely nothing.

That's just one relatively minor detail, but it easily demonstrates just how much more thought was put into the Exile's character compared to Revan's. The result is that the Exile is a much more believable character and by that I also mean that I find it much more believable that the Exile could best Revan than the other way around.

DarthAnt66
By contrast, I didn't even know Revan was supposed to possess battle precognition until I read it on his wiki page. Yet there's no explanation of how he learned it, or from who, or how he utilizes it, etc. Absolutely nothing.
Revan was naturally gifted at battle precognition, like Bastila Shan with Battle Meditation.

And he was way better at it than the Exile.

darthbane77
You might have a point if we were discussing quantum physics. Then obviously a wiki article would be a poor scientific source. But when it's something like the plot of a video game, wiki pages are pretty reliable. All the things I listed in my post did happen after all. Or are you going to deny their existence?

You do realize I acknowleged precisely that? Did you somehow miss the paragraph in my post where I alluded to Revan's numerous exploits?

So yeah sure, Revan is technically stronger. But not in a way that feels earned or believable. Again, there's no denying the fact that Revan started out as little more than a plot twist (and a nonsensical one at that) in his own game and needed tons of other pieces of Star Wars fiction to fill in the gaps about his character.

Just look at something like the ability of battle precognition, with both the Exile and Revan possess. In Kotor 2, the Exile learns this ability from the Handmaiden, who is a member of the Echani warrior-race. It allows the Exile to add his wisdom modifier to his defense score. Gameplay and story work in tandem to convey character growth. Furthermore, the sparring matches between the Exile and the Handmaiden have a philosophical bent pertaining to the the ethics of combat and warfare.

That's just one relatively minor detail, but it easily demonstrates just how much more thought was put into the Exile's character compared to Revan's. The result is that the Exile is a much more believable character and by that I also mean that I find it much more believable that the Exile could best Revan than the other way around. Sure, in that respect I can agree Meetra is better, but only within the confines of being a better character. When it comes to a vs thread, Revan is inarguably vastly superior to the Exile.

DarthAnt66
Revan's a better character too.

SunRazer
lol no. Revan and the Exile's "character" is pretty much entirely determined by the player in the two KotOR games.

The only thing that can be argued are the attributes of the characters that remain constant irrespective of gameplay, and of course, how you view those is up to you. For me, the Exile is less of a Mary Sue and has a more unique origin; she isn't a character designed to be godlike but rather just a Jedi who managed to live without the Force. All the "Wound in the Force" stuff is a bit excessive, but being a unique Jedi with some distinct talents is somewhat more appealing to me than someone who simply and naturally excels at everything. She isn't a universally-recognized badass, nor is she an all-in-one character (I realise that both factors may make Revan more appealing to some, especially the second), just a unique survivor.\

I love Revan as well, of course, and the two factors I mentioned above are part of that, but in the end, he's just a prodigius maximus that you can insert into quite a few different universes and still work. The Exile is not only unique in Star Wars but is also a distinctly SW character; she wouldn't be able to function as she is in another universe. I also like the nature of her greyness more than Revan's; Revan is really just black and white mixed together, whereas the Exile has a shade of inherent greyness in her character that's absent from most characters, including Revan.

And let's face it, Meetra Surik and Revan had virtually no character in either Revan or The Old Republic, both of which were horribly written. So we can safely exclude those.

samappo
Yeah, SoR was very underwhelming. I grew up playing both Kotors, and they became my favorite games. Then SoR comes along and you actually get to see Revan, hear him. He'd been masked and mysterious until then. And frankly, they sorta ****ed it up.

I will admit that Revan does give off the just a normal person who's gone through a lot, but not really the gravitas of a man who conquered the Mandalorians, or challenged Malak and defeated him.

Azronger
I prefer Revan myself. And yes, he does have shades of grey, a lot of them. At least my interpretation of Revan does.

Selenial
It amuses me that the only well written part of Revan's character comes from KOTOR II.

MythLord
That's not tru-
Yes, it is, actually. KoTOR I is largely dependant on the player, Drew's novel was godawful and SW: TOR didn't do much, character-wise.

Beniboybling
thumb up

darthbane77
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Revan's a better character too. In some ways, yes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.