Batgirl Standalone Film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firefly218
Joss Whedon will write, direct and produce a standalone Batgirl film for the DCEU. Thoughts?

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/

Surtur
Well that came right the f*ck out of nowhere lol.

Seems like it will be Barbara, I think it would be cool for the Cassandra Cain version to have a movie, but meh. Whedon was behind both Avengers movies, so I'd say he could potentially do a good job with this.

ares834

quanchi112
Awful idea. Who gives a **** about batgirl. Ewwww.

Zack M
This can be fun.

Zack M
Originally posted by Firefly218
Joss Whedon will write, direct and produce a standalone Batgirl film for the DCEU. Thoughts?

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/

What are your thoughts?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Zack M
This can be fun. So instead of a more unique character from the dcu lets do batgirl. Hahahahahaha.

Firefly218
What are your thoughts? I'm pumped for anything coming from Whedon, Batgirl sounds especially interesting. Wonder how much of a presence Affleck's Batman will have in the movie though.

I think with Whedon doing Batgirl, Reeves doing Batman, McKay doing Nightwing and possibly Mathew Vaughn doing MoS2 and Mel Gibson doing Suicide Squad, the DCEU is about to become very interesting

Firefly218
Originally posted by quanchi112
Awful idea. Who gives a **** about batgirl. Ewwww. Lots of people

Surtur
So instead of a more unique character from the dcu lets do batgirl. Hahahahahaha.

Frankly I just want them to step away from the Bat Family entirely.

quanchi112
Lots of people **** no. I don't hear any regular people say a thing about batgirl. DC ****ing up with a horrible idea.

Surtur
Personally I am waiting for a prequel focusing on Alfred in Vietnam somehow.

Robtard

On paper sounds like a win. When Whedon's on point, he's great. Batgirl is a good character that hasn't had much spotlight in films.

Firefly218
**** no. I don't hear any regular people say a thing about batgirl. DC ****ing up with a horrible idea. No regular people said a thing about Iron Man before the first movie came out in 2008. So why does that matter? If Batgirl is good she'll become popular.

quanchi112
No regular people said a thing about Iron Man before the first movie came out in 2008. So why does that matter? If Batgirl is good she'll become popular. Iron man was a brand new character and concept. This is a female batgirl aka variation of batman. It'd be like marvel announcing here comes she hulk. The universes are too broad to focus on similar characters.

Firefly218
Iron man was a brand new character and concept. This is a female batgirl aka variation of batman. It'd be like marvel announcing here comes she hulk. The universes are too broad to focus on similar characters. The similarity between Batgirl and Batman has no bearing on how financially and critically popular Batgirl can be. If the movie is good and people love it, none of that matters.

playa1258
Quan is just pissed Whedon is directing for the DCEU now.

marwash22
Iron man was a brand new character and concept. This is a female batgirl aka variation of batman. It'd be like marvel announcing here comes she hulk. The universes are too broad to focus on similar characters. we can stop making Star Wars movies. thumb up

Darth Thor
I'm guessing they wanted Whedon on board, and he's the one who proposed a Batgirl film.

Robtard
Iron man was a brand new character and concept. This is a female batgirl aka variation of batman. It'd be like marvel announcing here comes she hulk. The universes are too broad to focus on similar characters.

Iron Man was not a brand new character nor concept before 2008. Are you feeling okay?

playa1258
This is good news. Whedon has a good track record.

BruceSkywalker
this will be Halle Berry Catwoman all over again

Zack M
I'm pumped for anything coming from Whedon, Batgirl sounds especially interesting. Wonder how much of a presence Affleck's Batman will have in the movie though.

I think with Whedon doing Batgirl, Reeves doing Batman, McKay doing Nightwing and possibly Mathew Vaughn doing MoS2 and Mel Gibson doing Suicide Squad, the DCEU is about to become very interesting

Don't forget about Doug Liman (Edge of Tomorrow) doing Justice League Dark. Is that still a thing?

marwash22
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
this will be Halle Berry Catwoman all over again i will smack your face.

Darth Thor
By the way this isn't confirmed yet...

this will be Halle Berry Catwoman all over again

Even if you have Zero faith in WB/DC, you should have faith in Whedon at least.

TheGrat1
It's a little early for April fools jokes.

0 interest as of now.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Even if you have Zero faith in WB/DC, you should have faith in Whedon at least. thumb up He's had his 10000 hours he knows what's he's doing by now

Zack M
Sorry Firefly, I knew this was too good to be true. sad

Bleedingcool: Joss Whedon's Batgirl Movie Early April Fools Prank

Arachnid1
At first I was going to come in here and lol

But Josh Whedon's name attatched to this makes all the difference. He knows how to do female characters justice and write a good story. I've been a fan of his since Buffy. I'm in, and fully support this movie, as strange as the idea is.

Originally posted by Robtard
Iron Man was not a brand new character nor concept before 2008. Are you feeling okay? Despite that, he wasn't a particularly big or well loved hero. His movie put him on the map. No normal people knew who he was or even cared about the Avengers before IM1. Spidey and the X-men carried Marvel on their backs almost elusively.

Firefly218
Sorry Firefly, I knew this was too good to be true. sad

Bleedingcool: Joss Whedon's Batgirl Movie Early April Fools Prank

Don't play with me bittch

Robtard
Originally posted by Arachnid1

Despite that, he wasn't a particularly big or well loved hero. His movie put him on the map. No normal people knew who he was or even cared about the Avengers before IM1. Spidey and the X-men carried Marvel on their backs almost elusively.

Sure, Downey's nigh prefect portrayal of Tony certainly put the MCU on the map, but that's not what I was talking about.

Arachnid1
Sure, Downey's nigh prefect portrayal of Tony certainly put the MCU on the map, but that's not what I was talking about. Yeah, but I think that's what he meant. Not that IM is really new, but he is to mainstream audiences. The character, his suit, all pretty fresh concepts at the time

Robtard
Fair enough.

Surtur
There was an Iron Man cartoon in the 90s, as well as animated movies with him prior to the live action stuff.

The "Ultimate Avengers" movies were pretty good. So he was kinda there, but not as popular as he would later become.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by marwash22
i will smack your face.

you can try.. then i can choke you out

By the way this isn't confirmed yet...

Even if you have Zero faith in WB/DC, you should have faith in Whedon at least.

he is a turncoat now so f^ck him

hahahahaahahahahaaha

marwash22
you can try.. then i can choke you out gonna be hard to choke someone after i break your arms, m8.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by marwash22
gonna be hard to choke someone after i break your arms, m8.

son all I need are my samurai swords to chop you to pieces,, hahahaahahahahaha

-Pr-
if they had any guts, they'd have her shot partway through the movie and have the rest of the movie be her training until she's strong enough to beat the piss out of the Joker from her wheelchair.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
if they had any guts, they'd have her shot partway through the movie and have the rest of the movie be her training until she's strong enough to beat the piss out of the Joker from her wheelchair.

I'd rather see that happen for the sequel, If the first movie ends up being successful.

Mindship
Batgirl? So, yet again no movie for Matter Eater Lad.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
There was an Iron Man cartoon in the 90s, as well as animated movies with him prior to the live action stuff.

The "Ultimate Avengers" movies were pretty good. So he was kinda there, but not as popular as he would later become.

I doubt the majority of the GA watched all those things, Only the comic book reader's.

Darth Thor
^ Yeah he was pretty much an unknown to most people. As was Marvel's version of Thor.

Cap was fairly well known for being the leader of all the heroes, but audiences weren't really sure about is power set or origin story.

Hulk was the only really famous one.

Patient_Leech
Meh, even with Joss Whedon involved I'm still pretty meh. Don't care.

roughrider
Iron Man was not a brand new character nor concept before 2008. Are you feeling okay?

It was, as far as movies went. Iron Man had no live action appearances before it and very few animated ones. People doubted Marvel Studios was going to succeed, what with all the X-Men characters and Spider Man contracted to other studios. The rest is cinematic history.

It's a surprise and it's not a surprise, this announcement. I wondered when Whedon was going to jump back into this kind of project; I was holding out hope Marvel Studios would bring him in for Captain Marvel in 2019.

And it continues DC & Warners longtime trend of bringing in talent that's had great success with a Marvel project to do theirs, because they can't figure out how to do it themselves. stick out tongue Both directors and actors. We'll see if this gets further than development before the usual director's carousal gets going (Who's directing The Flash again?...)

Also, I would prefer if this was Batwoman/Kathy Kane. That would be someone more distinct than someone who's a Bruce Wayne groupie.

Zack M
Originally posted by roughrider
It was, as far as movies went. Iron Man had no live action appearances before it and very few animated ones. People doubted Marvel Studios was going to succeed, what with all the X-Men characters and Spider Man contracted to other studios. The rest is cinematic history.

It's a surprise and it's not a surprise, this announcement. I wondered when Whedon was going to jump back into this kind of project; I was holding out hope Marvel Studios would bring him in for Captain Marvel in 2019.

And it continues DC & Warners longtime trend of bringing in talent that's had great success with a Marvel project to do theirs, because they can't figure out how to do it themselves. stick out tongue Both directors and actors. We'll see if this gets further than development before the usual director's carousal gets going (Who's directing The Flash again?...)

Also, I would prefer if this was Batwoman/Kathy Kane. That would be someone more distinct than someone who's a Bruce Wayne groupie.

Uhh, they are following Gail Simone's New52 origin/stories. laughing out loud

It's not like Whedon is starting from scratch. DC has a multitude worth of stories they can adapt on the big screen.

roughrider

It's not like Whedon is starting from scratch. DC has a multitude worth of stories they can adapt on the big screen.

Hey, they had decades of history to draw on when he was signed for Wonder Woman all those years ago, but he was put off by their lack of enthusiasm for his ideas.

If DC & Warners could succeed as well with their movies as they do with their press releases, we would have had 2-3 times the number of DCEU movies out by now.

Zack M
Hey, they had decades of history to draw on when he was signed for Wonder Woman all those years ago, but he was put off by their lack of enthusiasm for his ideas.

If DC & Warners could succeed as well with their movies as they do with their press releases, we would have had 2-3 times the number of DCEU movies out by now.

I'm not sure what his ideas was, but from WW fans themselves, they weren't very good. sad

Flyattractor
Great.
So we are going to get a movie about a small girl beating up very large men and it will be more Soap Opera then Superhero Movie.

Yep...Can't wait....

Darth Thor
I'm not sure what his ideas was, but from WW fans themselves, they weren't very good. sad

Yet they've had full confidence in Zack Snyder's vision instead erm

Anyway that's Marvel's gain and DC's loss for not having faith in Whedon. Now they want him after his massive Marvel contributions.

quanchi112

It's not like Whedon is starting from scratch. DC has a multitude worth of stories they can adapt on the big screen. And we have the three garbage films for the dcu as of now. Doomsday was a total shit character and already done.

Surtur
Originally posted by Mindship
no movie for Matter Eater Lad.

I like the character. At least we got to see a bit of him in the Legion cartoon.

wakkawakkawakka
So it won't be Cassandra Cain as Batgirl? Well that sucks.

Zack M
Yet they've had full confidence in Zack Snyder's vision instead erm

Anyway that's Marvel's gain and DC's loss for not having faith in Whedon. Now they want him after his massive Marvel contributions.

Some things aren't meant to be made. Even George Miller stated that his Justice League movie shouldn't be made.

Darth Thor
Some things aren't meant to be made. Even George Miller stated that his Justice League movie shouldn't be made.

Yeah well a lot of people say the same about BvS. My own opinion of it has decreased over time.

But you're right. Marvel's Avengers was meant to happen first.

Been Rewatching CA1 and Thor1 tonight. Say what you will about the TDK trilogy, but you have to admire just how amazing Marvel built up its Connected Universe so naturally and organically, and then just completely knocked it out of the park with the first Avengers.

Zack M
Most of those movies were below average, imo. They didn't age well.

Darth Thor
Most of those movies were below average, imo. They didn't age well.

Disagree.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, he's in the minority there. Don't think like Avengers has aged the best either, but to say they're below average is crazy.

So is this an April fools thing, or not? Not entertaining a Batgirl film till I know for sure. No Cassandra Cain is disappointing either way though.

Zack M
Agree to disagree, but a crap load of their work has been mediocre. I've spoken to a lot of people who are burnt out on MCU movies, because they're so formulaic. This is even addressed in the Honest trailers, for crying out loud.

|King Joker|
I would be looking forward to this but I'm not very confident in the DCEU. Joss directing is a very good move, though, so I definitely won't count it out.

BruceSkywalker
lol at some marvel movies being mediocre whe the whole dceu is full of shit ass horrible films and will prollly never be good at all

Zack M
MOS was awesome. Don't hate.

Darth Thor
Agree to disagree, but a crap load of their work has been mediocre. I've spoken to a lot of people who are burnt out on MCU movies, because they're so formulaic. This is even addressed in the Honest trailers, for crying out loud.

I think there's a bit of superhero fatigue amongst the GI, and I think Thor was massively more popular prior to TDW and AOU. People forget that him and Loki were two of the biggest highlights of Marvel Phase I, right under IM.
Hopefully Ragnorak and Infinity War will fix that.

Still audiences look forward to them, especially MCU films, so the trust is still there with Marvel at least.

Zack M
I think there's a bit of superhero fatigue amongst the GI, and I think Thor was massively more popular prior to TDW and AOU. People forget that him and Loki were two of the biggest highlights of Marvel Phase I, right under IM.
Hopefully Ragnorak and Infinity War will fix that.

Still audiences look forward to them, especially MCU films, so the trust is still there with Marvel at least.

We'll see if Wonder Woman drops off, but the GA did like the DCEU so far. Or it wouldn't be trending on social media like it has for the past week or so.

I predict WW will do above 100 M OW, which is a slam dunk for someone like her. Close to 300 M domestic.

IF WW is good, JL will do more than BVS, which I predicted not too long ago. To me that doesn't say DCEU is doomed. People obviously enjoy them. That or the trailers are damn good. stick out tongue

Firefly218
MOS was awesome. Don't hate. Oh god

Firefly218
It would kind of be interesting now if the next Batman movie becomes a Batfamily movie. Nightwing, Batgirl and Batman family reunion?

Zack M
Don't forget Damian Wayne. stick out tongue

roughrider
We'll see if Wonder Woman drops off, but the GA did like the DCEU so far. Or it wouldn't be trending on social media like it has for the past week or so.

I predict WW will do above 100 M OW, which is a slam dunk for someone like her. Close to 300 M domestic.

IF WW is good, JL will do more than BVS, which I predicted not too long ago. To me that doesn't say DCEU is doomed. People obviously enjoy them. That or the trailers are damn good. stick out tongue

Yeah, but they are not being enjoyed at the same level of success as the Marvel films. And the critical hate they get must sting the filmmakers and studio, because Marvel & Disney get both love and respect, from critics and audiences.

Curious to know what's really motivating Joss to do this. He was so public about being burned out after AOU, how he wanted to get back to doing his own projects...

Is this a subtle shot at Marvel Studios, Disney and Kevin Feige?

Darth Thor
MOS was awesome. Don't hate.

It Had a very mixed response. There's been no Universally loved film in the DCEU so far. But who knows, maybe WW will change that.

I don't buy the general audience loves them when they have such poor box office multipliers. Plus we know there's tons of fan hate towards them.

Of course if Wonder Woman is good it'll help JL. That's what I was saying from Day 1, that the more organic build upthey do, then the better off they'll be when it comes to JL.

Still a terrible idea to have Snyder direct JL. Let's hope this is by far his best DCEU to date. All we can do at this stage is hope.

Inhuman
MOS was awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/hkcR71A.gif

Zack M
It Had a very mixed response. There's been no Universally loved film in the DCEU so far. But who knows, maybe WW will change that.

I don't buy the general audience loves them when they have such poor box office multipliers. Plus we know there's tons of fan hate towards them.

Of course if Wonder Woman is good it'll help JL. That's what I was saying from Day 1, that the more organic build upthey do, then the better off they'll be when it comes to JL.

Still a terrible idea to have Snyder direct JL. Let's hope this is by far his best DCEU to date. All we can do at this stage is hope.

Mixed, but the GA liked it, and the home rental sales showed. Hell, it did better than TDKR and most MCU movies in AMC's tournament.

I didn't say "love', did I? stick out tongue

Darth Thor
Mixed, but the GA liked it, and the home rental sales showed. Hell, it did better than TDKR and most MCU movies in AMC's tournament.

Oh right. Well like I said "mixed response." Because I know people who loved it, but I also know people who hated it. The GA isn't 1 person with 1 opinion Lol

But certainly the best received of the 3 DCEU movies so far. Problem is BvS might have reduced some of the goodwill MOS had amongst the half audience who liked/loved it.

roughrider

Who gives a crap about AMC's tournament? How is that any reflection on it's quality at all? That's a desperate reach.

Zack M
Yeah, but they are not being enjoyed at the same level of success as the Marvel films. And the critical hate they get must sting the filmmakers and studio, because Marvel & Disney get both love and respect, from critics and audiences.

Curious to know what's really motivating Joss to do this. He was so public about being burned out after AOU, how he wanted to get back to doing his own projects...

Is this a subtle shot at Marvel Studios, Disney and Kevin Feige?

I remember him stating that he loves dc and wouldn't mind doing a movie if the time is right.

Zack M
Who gives a crap about AMC's tournament? How is that any reflection on it's quality at all? That's a desperate reach.

Quality is all subjective. That tournament only reflects one example. Another being that MOS sold extremely well in home videos. More so than Iron Man 3 that year. I don't know why you guys have a hard time accepting that a lot of people liked it. Justice league will do big numbers too.

Darth Thor
Quality is all subjective. That tournament only reflects one example. Another being that MOS sold extremely well in home videos. More so than Iron Man 3 that year. I don't know why you guys have a hard time accepting that a lot of people liked it. Justice league will do big numbers too.

^ Well tbf that doesn't say much given IM3 is the worst MCU film to date.

But yeah a lot of people did like MOS, but it's defenders seem to have decreased post BvS.

Yes JL will do big numbers regardless of the quality. That's part of the problem. WB are just doing these movies to cash in on the shared Universe thing.

Zack M
^ Well tbf that doesn't say much given IM3 is the worst MCU film to date.

But yeah a lot of people did like MOS, but it's defenders seem to have decreased post BvS.

Yes JL will do big numbers regardless of the quality. That's part of the problem. WB are just doing these movies to cash in on the shared Universe thing.

That's assuming the quality is bad and that everyone thinks that way, which won't be the case. Ever since Geoff Johns took part in the DCEU, the good will seems to be there.

roughrider

It's just your subtle insinuation that MOS and these other DCEU films are actually more popular than the MCU films. What revenue facts do you have that DVD & Blu-ray rentals & sales for MOS were bigger than IM3 back in 2013? And does that tip any kind of balance?

MOS grossed $660 million worldwide, and critical & fan reaction was very mixed and polarized. While IM3 grossed $1.2 billion worldwide, and Mandarin controversy aside, did fairly well critically on the Tomatometer.

Zack M
It's just your subtle insinuation that MOS and these other DCEU films are actually more popular than the MCU films. What revenue facts do you have that DVD & Blu-ray rentals & sales for MOS were bigger than IM3 back in 2013? And does that tip any kind of balance?

MOS grossed $660 million worldwide, and critical & fan reaction was very mixed and polarized. While IM3 grossed $1.2 billion worldwide, and Mandarin controversy aside, did fairly well critically on the Tomatometer.

The numbers have been posted many times throughout other threads, brah.

I never said MOS is more popular than some of the MCU films, just that it did EXTREMELY well on home video sales.

BTW, the last two DCEU films is a precursor to what JL and WW might make. DC has a huge fan base, and so far the box office shows. At least for opening weekend.

Suicide Squad's legs, for instance, was actually better than Civil Wars.

Darth Thor
That's assuming the quality is bad and that everyone thinks that way, which won't be the case. Ever since Geoff Johns took part in the DCEU, the good will seems to be there.

Hope you're right.

But keeping Snyder on and rushing into JL isn't a good sign IMO.

Zack M
I forgot to add that whether you like BVS or not, the consensus is that the Ultimate edition is a MUCH better movie. The word of mouth was solid, seeing that it remained in the #1 slot for FOUR consecutive weeks. Not bad at all.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/batman-films-remain-top-dvd-blu-ray-disc-sellers-1201840573/

Suicide Squad did extremely well, too.

http://batman-news.com/2016/12/23/suicide-squad-tops-dvd-blu-ray-sales-charts/

Zack M
And seeing as Roughrider wanted the numbers:

Man of Steel, The Wolverine Beat Out Iron Man 3 in DVD and Blu-Ray Sales By a Wide Margin

Darth Thor
I forgot to add that whether you like BVS or not, the consensus is that the Ultimate edition is a MUCH better movie. The word of mouth was solid, seeing that it remained in the #1 slot for FOUR consecutive weeks. Not bad at all.

Hmm.. Ultimate Edition doesn't fix my biggest issue, which is that Batman was going to murder Superman. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Also doesn't fix Jesse's Luther.

Darth Thor

Man of Steel, The Wolverine Beat Out Iron Man 3 in DVD and Blu-Ray Sales By a Wide Margin

It's all good beating IM3 on DVD. What it needed to do was generate the kind of excitement IM1 did, which I personally don't think it did.

jaden101

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/batman-films-remain-top-dvd-blu-ray-disc-sellers-1201840573/

Suicide Squad did extremely well, too.

http://batman-news.com/2016/12/23/suicide-squad-tops-dvd-blu-ray-sales-charts/

The business model of "make the cinema cut a garbled mess then recut it for home release to make it less shitty so people will buy it" seems to work.

roughrider
The numbers have been posted many times throughout other threads, brah.

I never said MOS is more popular than some of the MCU films, just that it did EXTREMELY well on home video sales.

BTW, the last two DCEU films is a precursor to what JL and WW might make. DC has a huge fan base, and so far the box office shows. At least for opening weekend.

Suicide Squad's legs, for instance, was actually better than Civil Wars.

It's about how you finish at the end. Suicide Squad opened way bigger - like 80% bigger - than Guardians Of The Galaxy did in the same slot two years earlier. But by the end, GOTG still out-grossed it by a fair bit in the end.

MOS opened way bigger in 2013 than Thor: The Dark World did, but by the end the two films were only $30 million apart in worldwide take.

DC films are getting known for their huge drops after the huge opening weekend. Only the odd Marvel film drops off a cliff after opening weekend.

James Cameron films should be the ones to look to. Neither Titanic nor Avatar set any records for their opening weekends, but both would have the strongest box office legs since the original Star Wars Trilogy, grossing the same every week for months.

Zack M
It's about how you finish at the end. Suicide Squad opened way bigger - like 80% bigger - than Guardians Of The Galaxy did in the same slot two years earlier. But by the end, GOTG still out-grossed it by a fair bit in the end.

MOS opened way bigger in 2013 than Thor: The Dark World did, but by the end the two films were only $30 million apart in worldwide take.

DC films are getting known for their huge drops after the huge opening weekend. Only the odd Marvel film drops off a cliff after opening weekend.

James Cameron films should be the ones to look to. Neither Titanic nor Avatar set any records for their opening weekends, but both would have the strongest box office legs since the original Star Wars Trilogy, grossing the same every week for months.

That's why I clarify opening weekend. Plus, you forget that Suicide Squad did not open up in China. If it did, it would have done MORE than GOTG. SS had one of the better runs for a super hero movie.

Zack M
It's all good beating IM3 on DVD. What it needed to do was generate the kind of excitement IM1 did, which I personally don't think it did.

I definitely disagree there.

roughrider

And that offsets the extra $600 million that IM3 took home at the box office over MOS? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't think so.

roughrider
That's why I clarify opening weekend. Plus, you forget that Suicide Squad did not open up in China. If it did, it would have done MORE than GOTG. SS had one of the better runs for a super hero movie.

What if, what if, what if...

It's what happened that matters.

Zack M
Hmm.. Ultimate Edition doesn't fix my biggest issue, which is that Batman was going to murder Superman. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Also doesn't fix Jesse's Luther.

I didn't have an issue with that. People complain that wb needs to follow the source material, and they have for the most part. Batman has killed before. In movies and comics.

Zack M
What if, what if, what if...

It's what happened that matters.

Are you kidding me? GOTG did 440 million overseas. Suicide squad did 420. Are you telling me that SS wouldn't have done over 20 million in China? Even BVS did more than that, and that movie had shitty legs. Nah, it would have done more OS than GOTG.

Zack M
And that offsets the extra $600 million that IM3 took home at the box office over MOS? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't think so.

I never said it did, but you're comparing IM 3 after he came off of one of the biggest movies- Avengers. Remember, MOS was the first movie in the DCEU and it still did more than most MCU at that point. IM had time to build up to get to those numbers.

Darth Thor

thumb up

I definitely disagree there.

What you think MOS generated the kind of hype and excitement IM1 did?

I personally don't even think it generated the kind of buzz Thor1 did.

I didn't have an issue with that. People complain that wb needs to follow the source material, and they have for the most part. Batman has killed before. In movies and comics.

He used to kill villains who got in the way. He didn't go on mission to outright murder other heroes, just in case there was a 1% chance they change their ways.

After the beloved Nolan trilogy audiences did find this Batman to be too violent.

At least admit Lex Luthor was horrible.

Are you kidding me? GOTG did 440 million overseas. Suicide squad did 420. Are you telling me that SS wouldn't have done over 20 million in China? Even BVS did more than that, and that movie had shitty legs. Nah, it would have done more OS than GOTG.

Point is GOTG had far better legs, and now it's sequel is looking at an opening of $150mill+. You really think an SS sequel would have an opening like that?

I never said it did, but you're comparing IM 3 after he came off of one of the biggest movies- Avengers. Remember, MOS was the first movie in the DCEU and it still did more than most MCU at that point. IM had time to build up to get to those numbers.

Yeah IM3 had monster numbers coming right off Avengers, followed by poor DVD sales because it was a bad movie which people who saw it didn't really want to buy.

Yeah yeah, MOS was the first movie. But you have JL coming this year, so those excuses of the DCEU being too young to make as much money as Marvel, will no longer apply.

Kazenji
IM3 is far from being a bad movie, Maybe at most average.

Zack M

Darth Thor
Wow, you're awake at all hours Zack:

Of course it generated buzz. The proof is in the box office/sales. For a movie that was destroyed by critics, it did pretty well.

There was some buzz. But it clearly wasn't Iron Man type buzz.

Batman wasn’t certain that he would stay a hero or that he was a hero in the first place. All he saw was the destruction he caused. Kind of reminds me of how Batman is in the comics. He’s WILLING to kill, for the greater good. Even if that’s Superman.

Except Superman did nothing wrong erm

At least he did nothing that Batman doesn't do himself, which portrays Batman as a bit of a hypocrite.

That's just how most people seem to feel about his portrayal.

That and they feel this Superman is too miserable/dull all the time.

It had better legs because it opened BELOW Suicide Squad. That’s to be expected.

That's a strange theory.

OW is down to marketing and hype. Box Office Legs is down to WOM.

Civil War had a drop, too. And inferior legs.

Stop comparing to Civil War Lol. That was the biggest movie of the year. Bigger than R1.

We've yet to see if even Justice League can make those kind of numbers that Civil War made.

Point is, SS would have made more, if it opened in China. It’s certainly possible for SS sequel to open higher than 133/150. Why can’t it? Harley has a huge fan base now.

No one's denying SS did huge numbers.

Just that in terms of WOM it didn't generate the kind of buzz IM1 or GOTG or even Thor1 did.

Heck Ayer himself has admitted now the film wasn't that good. Which is why Ayer is better to keep around than Snyder, because Ayer might actually learn from his mistakes.

No idea why they've relied on Snyder for everything. It's almost as if WB/DC doesn't want to get Universal praise for it's biggest movies.

Either that or Snyder's got something big on them Lol

Zack M
I have to. I got stuck at work. mad

I honestly don't care if it was IM buzz, as long as it draws new fans to the character. My friend for instance loved MOS (He hates practically everything Superman). You don't always have to compare everything to MCU. MOS was a success in it's own right.

Of course he didn't do anything wrong (in our eyes), but Batman didn't share the same opinion. Like I said, all he saw was destruction.

Batman has had flaws for a long time. Like I said, close to the comic version.

I just read on the BO forums that generally when a movie has a huge OW, the drop will be steeper the next week. Doesn't apply to every movie, though. Suicide Squad DID do more on OW than GOTG by a good margin and it did have good WOM.

Hey, YOU are comparing success by box office. You keep on mentioning, "MOS didn't have IM buzz" or "DCEU isn't doing MCU numbers" (Even though it doesn't have to) DCEU is a success in it's own right. It doesn't always have to copy MCU for success. And Warner keeps on adding movies to their lineup. Whether they are officially green lit remains to be seen.

Lol. Thor 1. I don't know many people who like the Thor movies. I think SS had a much bigger splash than Thor, but agree to disagree.

Darth Thor
^ You're right, doesn't have to be as good as Marvel to be good, but then we should just accept that Marvel is the ultimate shared universe, and stop comparing the two. But come on, don't compare Suicide Squad to the biggest film of 2016, which was Universally praised by fans and critics.

I don't think Snyder really gets the characters, which is why they're not as faithful to the source material as people would like. Greater care should have been taken with Batman especially, after they decided to reboot such a beloved and successful version of the character.

Obviously WOM can't effect OW, because nobody's see it yet, lol. WOM is only really seen by the 2nd weekend onwards. But that's not the only sign. Overall box office multipliers, DVD sales, merchandise sales, and OW for the sequel are all signs of WOM.

Thor1 had huge buzz which lead to Avengers being the biggest superhero film of all time. That wasn't all down just to Iron Man you know Lol. Thor and Loki were Huge, people have just forgotten.

Like I already mentioned the reputation of the Thor films have gone down in recent years due to The Dark World being bad, Thor not having much to do in AOU, and more of a focus on Cap.

Zack M
^ You're right, doesn't have to be as good as Marvel to be good, but then we should just accept that Marvel is the ultimate shared universe, and stop comparing the two. But come on, don't compare Suicide Squad to the biggest film of 2016, which was Universally praised by fans and critics.

I don't think Snyder really gets the characters, which is why they're not as faithful to the source material as people would like. Greater care should have been taken with Batman especially, after they decided to reboot such a beloved and successful version of the character.

Obviously WOM can't effect OW, because nobody's see it yet, lol. WOM is only really seen by the 2nd weekend onwards. But that's not the only sign. Overall box office multipliers, DVD sales, merchandise sales, and OW for the sequel are all signs of WOM.

Thor1 had huge buzz which lead to Avengers being the biggest superhero film of all time. That wasn't all down just to Iron Man you know Lol. Thor and Loki were Huge, people have just forgotten.

Like I already mentioned the reputation of the Thor films have gone down in recent years due to The Dark World being bad, Thor not having much to do in AOU, and more of a focus on Cap.

I'm not really comparing SS to CW. The only thing I noted is that it had better legs, seeing as people keep on comparing MCU to DCEU. I only wanted to point out that it had one of the more impressive runs in recent memory. Both Deadpool and SS did.

And SS was pretty damn close to the source material, if people were to actually read the comics.

Darth Thor
I'm not really comparing SS to CW. The only thing I noted is that it had better legs, seeing as people keep on comparing MCU to DCEU. I only wanted to point out that it had one of the more impressive runs in recent memory. Both Deadpool and SS did.

And SS was pretty damn close to the source material, if people were to actually read the comics.

Deadpool had the better BO multiplier though, plus was more Universally praised.

Neither of their BO multipliers were anything amazing though, but impressive for previously unknown properties.

Suicide Squad certainly had some good aspects to it, but the main villain and final act really dented it, which Ayer himself has admitted to.

Plus it did nothing to set up Justice League (aside from the post credit scene).

Zack M
Well, duh. I already know that DP had better legs. It had amazing legs, actually.

I said their BO RUNS were amazing. Which it was. Earning over 700 M WW WITHOUT the second largest market (China) is impressive, especially when both movies largely featured unknown characters.

I saw nothing wrong with the villain. Enchantress has gone rogue before, and it usually takes a team to defeat her.

I don't really care about all movies being interconnected. Just that I enjoy them, which I highly enjoyed SS. I thought it was better than MOS, tbh.

Darth Thor
Well, duh. I already know that DP had better legs. It had amazing legs, actually.

I said their BO RUNS were amazing. Which it was. Earning over 700 M WW WITHOUT the second largest market (China) is impressive, especially when both movies largely featured unknown characters.

I saw nothing wrong with the villain. Enchantress has gone rogue before, and it usually takes a team to defeat her.

I don't really care about all movies being interconnected. Just that I enjoy them, which I highly enjoyed SS. I thought it was better than MOS, tbh.

Deadpool had a box office multiplier of 2.7. Which is really good, but not "amazing". Most of Marvel's phase I matched that. What was amazing was it's OW and general hype for such an unknown property, and lighting up the box office at a time of year that's usually dead. Oh and being R Rated, but still crushing all previous X-Men movies including DOFP. That was all amazing.

Yes SS and DP both earned a lot. No ones arguing that. Of course DP's performance was better, had stronger legs, and was far more impressive for the reasons stated above.

Dude the villain was terrible. Terrible. Even Ayer admits it. You're the only one defending that. Dc desperately needs a movie that not only makes money but is clearly loved by audiences. Otherwise they're just going to carry on surviving based on big comic book names and star power, but with no real love for their films. And a lot of hate.

You're in the minority for not liking the shared universe. But tbh I think for DC they should step back from it and just do solo films for now. Because their shared universe is not natural and is being forced to catch up with Marvel, which is why it's not working.

Wonder Woman, for example, being set in the past away from the shared Universe looks to be their best movie yet. Shame about the casting though stick out tongue

TheVaultDweller

At least he didn't get raped in prison, which was an idea Snyder actually threw out there during a Watchmen interview.

Zack M
Deadpool had a box office multiplier of 2.7. Which is really good, but not "amazing". Most of Marvel's phase I matched that. What was amazing was it's OW and general hype for such an unknown property, and lighting up the box office at a time of year that's usually dead. Oh and being R Rated, but still crushing all previous X-Men movies including DOFP. That was all amazing.

Yes SS and DP both earned a lot. No ones arguing that. Of course DP's performance was better, had stronger legs, and was far more impressive for the reasons stated above.

Dude the villain was terrible. Terrible. Even Ayer admits it. You're the only one defending that. Dc desperately needs a movie that not only makes money but is clearly loved by audiences. Otherwise they're just going to carry on surviving based on big comic book names and star power, but with no real love for their films. And a lot of hate.

You're in the minority for not liking the shared universe. But tbh I think for DC they should step back from it and just do solo films for now. Because their shared universe is not natural and is being forced to catch up with Marvel, which is why it's not working.

Wonder Woman, for example, being set in the past away from the shared Universe looks to be their best movie yet. Shame about the casting though stick out tongue

What I said wasn't false. Both DP and SS had an amazing run at the BO. I remember YOU and a multitude of people saying Suicide Squad wouldn't make it past 500/600 M WW, with the mind that it would release everywhere. It over performed and earned a lot more without China.

Agree to disagree about the villain. When did Ayer say it was terrible? That is pretty much Enchantress in a nutshell.

I never said I didn't like the shared universe, just that not every movie needs to be linked together.

Darth Thor
What I said wasn't false. Both DP and SS had an amazing run at the BO. I remember YOU and a multitude of people saying Suicide Squad wouldn't make it past 500/600 M WW, with the mind that it would release everywhere. It over performed and earned a lot more without China.

Agree to disagree about the villain. When did Ayer say it was terrible? That is pretty much Enchantress in a nutshell.

I never said I didn't like the shared universe, just that not every movie needs to be linked together.

I didn't realise at the time SS needed $600mill just to break even. Honestly it would have been far better for WB/DC if SS was just a really well received movie than a box office smash. Still though, in terms of box office multipliers not 1 of the DCEU films has reached a 2.5. The reason is what I've always said, they're banking on big names that make a quick buck, instead of having passion for the projects and building up goodwill for their shared universe.

He said in a tweet responding to a fan praising SS, that the movie wasn't perfect, and that if he could go back he'd make Joker the main villain. He clearly has regrets, and isn't just praising the money the film has grossed. Google it and you'll see.

Well Marvel did link everything wonderfully in Phase I, which is why everyone is trying to imitate them now. What Marvel has done is simply a huge part of cinematic history now.

Anyway let's hope Wonder Woman knocks it out of the park.

Zack M
I didn't realise at the time SS needed $600mill just to break even. Honestly it would have been far better for WB/DC if SS was just a really well received movie than a box office smash. Still though, in terms of box office multipliers not 1 of the DCEU films has reached a 2.5. The reason is what I've always said, they're banking on big names that make a quick buck, instead of having passion for the projects and building up goodwill for their shared universe.

He said in a tweet responding to a fan praising SS, that the movie wasn't perfect, and that if he could go back he'd make Joker the main villain. He clearly has regrets, and isn't just praising the money the film has grossed. Google it and you'll see.

Well Marvel did link everything wonderfully in Phase I, which is why everyone is trying to imitate them now. What Marvel has done is simply a huge part of cinematic history now.

Like I already said before, SS over performed on OW, earning much more than the first GOTG film. It still had decent legs and in the grand scheme of things, had one of the most impressive runs to date, barring China and Mexico.

CW had a multiplier of 2.28, but that's to be expected, since it opened huge.

Zack M
BTW, I Googled Ayer and he didn't say he "Hated Enchantress", he said that he would do things differently, and use Joker as the villain. But that wouldn't be much of a "Suicide" mission, TBH. Unless Joker had one-sided prep.

quanchi112
Excuses.

BruceSkywalker

doubtful lol

quanchi112
doubtful lol thumb up

Darth Thor
Like I already said before, SS over performed on OW, earning much more than the first GOTG film. It still had decent legs and in the grand scheme of things, had one of the most impressive runs to date, barring China and Mexico.

CW had a multiplier of 2.28, but that's to be expected, since it opened huge.

So why are all DC films overperforming on OW?

Lol you keep clinging onto Civil War's multiplier. Difference is Civil War's predecessors (Captain America and Avenger films) have all had really good multipliers. Not sure why CW didn't, but it was a one off, and still the biggest movie of the year, and still Universally loved.

BTW, I Googled Ayer and he didn't say he "Hated Enchantress", he said that he would do things differently, and use Joker as the villain. But that wouldn't be much of a "Suicide" mission, TBH. Unless Joker had one-sided prep.

Point is he has regrets because he knows he didn't make a great film. Which is why he's a hundred times better than Snyder tbh.

Zack M
So why are all DC films overperforming on OW?

Lol you keep clinging onto Civil War's multiplier. Difference is Civil War's predecessors (Captain America and Avenger films) have all had really good multipliers. Not sure why CW didn't, but it was a one off, and still the biggest movie of the year, and still Universally loved.

Point is he has regrets because he knows he didn't make a great film. Which is why he's a hundred times better than Snyder tbh.

Don't know, tbh. Its been that way for a while, for the exception of Nolans series.

And Ayer wanted the Joker to be the villain, to make the movie more grounded. He never said that he hated enchantress as the villain. Choose your words more carefully.

Darth Thor
Don't know, tbh. Its been that way for a while, for the exception of Nolans series.

It's because the Nolan films were really well received. It's not some mystery. Bad box office multipliers are generally a sign of films not having great WOM. And before you go on about Civil War, that's the outlier.

And Ayer wanted the Joker to be the villain, to make the movie more grounded. He never said that he hated enchantress as the villain. Choose your words more carefully.

Dude, he's not happy with the movie he made, and he would correct that by changing the villain. It's not hard to put 2 & 2 together.

Zack M
It's because the Nolan films were really well received. It's not some mystery. Bad box office multipliers are generally a sign of films not having great WOM. And before you go on about Civil War, that's the outlier.

Dude, he's not happy with the movie he made, and he would correct that by changing the villain. It's not hard to put 2 & 2 together.

Two things you said were different though. I have no problem saying Ayer hated the FINAL product, but he never said he hated Enchantress.

Anyway, back on topic.

Looks like Joss Whedon is all but confirmed.

Joss Whedon on 'Batgirl' and Exploring the "Damage" Behind His Next Superhero

Darth Thor
Cool. He'll kill it.

BruceSkywalker
whedon will f%ck it up since WB loves too interfere

Ridley_Prime
How would that be Whedon's fault?

Sometimes it feels you're trying too hard with the hate just to fit in.

playa1258
Until the DCEU produces a good film, people will remain skeptical.

Zack M
Originally posted by playa1258
Until the DCEU produces a good film, people will remain skeptical.

Yeah, but that's not the same as Whedon will mess it up. Unless you have a good reason.

Ridley_Prime
^ That, basically. Surprised I ended up agreeing with Zack M on something here, but yeah; it's natural to be skeptical, but to assume this film would automatically be Whedon's fault if it falls short isn't really logical. David Ayer's a good director under normal conditions, and the fact he did what ended up being the heavily altered shit that was Suicide Squad which he wasn't entirely proud of doesn't make it less so or on him.

TethAdamTheRock
They had catwoman soo

Ridley_Prime
Catwoman (the film) was originally supposed to be set in the Tim Burton universe but somehow ended up not being so. I don't think I want to know everything that went wrong behind the scenes there with what became Catwoman in nothing but name, but thank goodness Batman Begins happened like a year later.

roughrider
Would love it if this was an early costume test. big grin

http://thumbnails101.imagebam.com/54456/e9caae544552478.jpg

Darth Thor
^ Yeah I bet you would

wakkawakkawakka
I'm still bummed by Cassandra Cain not being a thing. If this is going somewhere, what would it even be about?

roughrider
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I'm still bummed by Cassandra Cain not being a thing. If this is going somewhere, what would it even be about?

Knowing Joss Whedon, it will be a bit of The Killing Joke mixed with The New 52, with Barbara recovering from getting paralyzed by the Joker to train & become Batgirl (maybe Bruce helps her - or not.)

Also knowing Joss, a major supporting player will get killed. wink

Ridley_Prime
Meh... Was hoping for something that doesn't retread old ground as much, but alas.

roughrider
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Meh... Was hoping for something that doesn't retread old ground as much, but alas.

I'd really like it if it was Batwoman/Kathy Kane, with her lesbianism intact. That would be daring.

Zack M
Which actress would you guys pick for Barbra Gordon?

Zack M
Which actress would you guys pick for Barbra Gordon?

I'm going with Jessica Chaistain. stick out tongue

Kazenji
Been reading Priyanka Chopra wants the role.

Zack M

Darth Thor
^ Not falling for Rick Ashley again.

Zack M
Its from heroichollywood. Lol

Kazenji
That and its all over the net that news.

Darth Thor
Was a joke. Jeez.

Darth Thor
^ Lol it might as well have been a Rick Ashley video:

Joss Whedon has officially left this project.

BruceSkywalker
not a surprise whedon left... smart move

SquallX
I'm going with Jessica Chaistain. stick out tongue

Chicks a ***** though.

Flyattractor
Whedon left?

I would have thought this movie would have been his Dream Jizz in his pants Project.

jane21august
It's nice to have some DC movies with solo characters.A film like suicide squad and wonder woman are amazing rather than other DC movies.

Kazenji
Something to do with a Male director tackling female superhero in the wake of Wonder Woman in today's entertainment environment.

-Pr-
Given what's come out about his personal life, in this climate? The fact that they let him say it was "we don't have a script" rather than saying "we were worried he'd **** his actors" was a favour, imo. And taking in to account how bad his WW script was reported to be too.

I'm not surprised, but I do wonder what's going to happen next. Barbara Gordon is by no means my favourite character, but I do want to see what they can do with her.

Dreampanther
I'm not surprised, but I do wonder what's going to happen next. Barbara Gordon is by no means my favourite character, but I do want to see what they can do with her.

I wouldn't mind seeing Katheryn Bigelow's take on her.

Darth Thor
And taking in to account how bad his WW script was reported to be too.

I mean thats just rumours. But We know how good he is with female characters from all his work.

In any case, if that was true, then why bring him on in the first place.

Way too much flip flopping by WB Imho.

-Pr-
If he's to be believed, then whatever his pitch was, wasn't enough to carry an entire movie. It's not the first time it's happened, I imagine, so I don't know if I would put all the blame on WB for this one.

Nephthys
I read that leaked WW script and it really was offensively bad. It was horrifically sexist and it actually seemed like Whedon outright hated the character of Wonder Woman. Steve Trevor spends the whole movie just berating her and humiliating her and shes constantly sexualised and degraded. Its terrible.

I'm honestly a bit unsure of Whedon after the script leaking and AoU and JL being so crap. His star has definitely fallen recently.

Darth Thor
^ A bit unfair to blame JL on him.

Not that JL was THAT Bad.

BruceSkywalker
with no nightwing film in sight and now no batgirl film,, wb just continues to show they have no idea what the hell to do ..

Flyattractor
Well they are Hollywood Execs.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>