Seriously, why does everyone hate Drew Karpashyn?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
The Darth Bane trilogy was flawless, Revan was good, the showdown between him and Scourge and Vititate was epic, and his novel Annhiliation had a good ending. Why is everyone saying he sucks? Everyone loves James Luceno but his last two novels were PAINFULLY bad. Drew always has a good story. Why all this hate?

SunRazer
Revan was pathetic, lmao. Action climaxes don't make up for how dull the characters are; Meetra had virtually no characterization, and Revan, as a protagonist, was also sorely lacking in that area. If anything Scourge had more characterization than Revan; that's how embarrassing it is. Revan also betrayed how little research Karpyshynn did on KotOR II before writing the book. From pretending that tens of thousands of Jedi survived the Jedi Civil War when numerous sources tell us that barely a hundred did, to pretending the Sith Triumvirate was a splinter Jedi faction after the Jedi Civil War, to having Meetra Surik get mind-****ed by the prospect of not being able to feel the Force despite doing precisely that for ten years, it just stinks of ill-preparedness and ignorance that an author shouldn't have.

Path of Destruction was passable but Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil were pretty substandard as well. After PoD, Karpyshynn began to sacrifice characterization for this sort of writing:

I mean, ****ing hell. It must just be me, but writing like that is cringeworthy. It seems like Karpyshyn just can't pass up the opportunity to wank his characters whenever he can in the text, and he doesn't do it subtly either. It also reminds me; Karpyshyn employs a lot more tell than show, which is another problem. That amateurish, crapping writing I just quoted is pretty much all tell, and not in a good way.

I've only read Annihilation once and it was a while ago, but I recall believing it was his best work. Perhaps because not writing all-powerful characters gives him a reason to give us some actual characterization for once.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
The Darth Bane trilogy was flawless, Revan was good, the showdown between him and Scourge and Vititate was epic, and his novel Annhiliation had a good ending. Why is everyone saying he sucks? Everyone loves James Luceno but his last two novels were PAINFULLY bad. Drew always has a good story. Why all this hate?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

S W LeGenD
Path of Destruction was good, and he did great work on the KOTOR game. Only other SW work of his I'm familiar with is Rule of Two, which wasn't good at all imo.

darthbane77
"Revan" was good, not great, but good. The whole Bane trilogy was awesome.

Dark-Kenshin
Revan novel was awful. IMO, it killed the character.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Revan novel was awful. IMO, it killed the character.

Eh more like, it killed the characters people created in their heads.

Fated Xtasy
Here's the thing. We had context clues about what he was from people we spoke with in game.

He was scholar and a fighter as a Jedi. Charismatic and wise.

He was a devious tactician and a calculating mastermind. Powerful, intimidating and intelligent.

Everything should lead to a character hardened from war, yet hopeful. A man who was wiser from walking the line on the double edge sword of the force. A man capable of cooking up a carefully laid out plan in mere moments and break man with his force powers.

Revan in Drew Karpshyns novel was anything but that.

Meetra was butchered. Theres no going back. But lets just acknowledge that Drew missed the perfect opportunity to write an interesting character.

SunRazer
Everything was butchered, lol. It was an injustice to both games.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by SunRazer
It was an injustice to

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/20/Injustice_2_Promo_Poster.jpg/250px-Injustice_2_Promo_Poster.jpg

ares834
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Eh more like, it killed the characters people created in their heads.

No it killed the character presented in the games as well. Specifically KotOR 2's.

Unbowed
He's a hack.

MythLord
Drew's Mass Effect novels are pretty good, and Annihilation was nice. PoD and DoE were also good, but RoT was cringeworthy and Revan was by far one of the absolute worst books I've ever read. And I read Twilight(lost a bet, don't ask).

Drew's only really good at writting action scenes, and if you're just reading a book to get an adrenaline rush from a bunch of goons shooting at each other or a lightsaber duel, go ahead... But with regards to: plot, story elements, characterization, descriptions, and pretty much any and all components of a coherent and well-done novel -- Drew comes off as fairly pathetic, especially in regards to Star Wars.

People like Luceno and Stover don't want to just offer kewl, uber stronk characters and fight scenes, they want relatable characters, characters with depth and characters with an actual story behind them.
Drew, much like Traviss, just wants to push his own agendas through literature. Drew's a good choice to make an OP character or nice power ideas and concepts, but he's not a good choice to write about that character or those concepts.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by MythLord
People like Luceno and Stover don't want to just offer kewl, uber stronk characters and fight scenes, they want relatable characters, characters with depth and characters with an actual story behind them.Like Tyth, yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pACEBhQOo&t=0m45s

MythLord
What the hell is he saying? All I'm hearing is: Dammit, oregon mother! The infermal ignites! FEED MY RAGEH!... No wonder SWTOR needs subtitles.

Azronger
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Like Tyth, yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1pACEBhQOo&t=0m45s

laughing

Beniboybling
Originally posted by MythLord
What the hell is he saying? All I'm hearing is: Dammit, oregon mother! The infermal ignites! FEED MY RAGEH!... No wonder SWTOR needs subtitles. #BiowareStyleStorytelling

Darth Luminous
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
He was scholar and a fighter as a Jedi. Charismatic and wise.

He was a devious tactician and a calculating mastermind. Powerful, intimidating and intelligent.

"He was the best starpilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior."

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110211235650/starwars/images/thumb/8/84/AnakinSkywalkerghost.jpg/383px-AnakinSkywalkerghost.jpg

nfactor1995
Not sure tbh. I liked the Revan novel overall (not great, but still an enjoyable read for me - good tie in to SWTOR which I really like), granted I read the novel before playing KOTOR. Path of Destruction was pretty good towards the end, but I haven't finished reading Rule of Two or Dynasty of Evil. I've heard some good things about Annihilation, which I am excited to read especially because it focuses on Theron Shan (who I now know a ton about from playing the SWTOR expansions).

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Darth Luminous
"He was the best starpilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior."

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110211235650/starwars/images/thumb/8/84/AnakinSkywalkerghost.jpg/383px-AnakinSkywalkerghost.jpg
That's just a factually accurate statement. Where as Revan in SWTOR, from the novel to SoR, is a joke, and even when he's at his most threatening, he gets his ass handed to him.

Psychotron
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Revan was good

It was trash, and the character assassination of both Revan and the Exile is why people hate him. Jobbing the two protags of the Kotor games, who both soloed armies of Sith on DS nexuses, to some crappy Palpatine rip-off didn't help either.

MythLord
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZJUgaZb9sBI/WQjiiLOB6WI/AAAAAAAADNo/hStkWMjJCUASOIzVJXt6TjWXtKhoxxpEQCL0B/h346/2017-01-20.png

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.