Ranking the Lightsaber Duels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SunRazer

carthage
Maul losing to Kanan, getting Cut in half by Padawan Kenobi, and getting stomped by Ben Kenobi are all great feats as well

Geistalt
Let's not forget the prop fvck-ups in RotS.

The movie was still great, but the novel was better.

NewGuy01
@Sunrazer:

Luke vs Vader in Jedi is excellent in that the music is very powerful, and in that the emotional stakes are high. That said, the choreography itself is far less visually impressive to me than the duel in Empire.

Revenge of the Sith's duel suffers from it's length, with it's best scenes (like the grappling clip and the lava clash) being overshadowed by the sheer magnitude of mundane shots. That said, like the duel in Jedi, the emotional stakes and excellent music largely make up for that.

Rey vs Kylo Ren would have been great if it weren't for, well, Rey. Her lame fighting style and PIS haxxx unfortunately take away from Kylo's awesome fighting style.

SunRazer
@NewGuy -

1. I agree the choreography in that last part with the music is lackluster, but then again, it's mostly fitting since Luke is in a state of rage and swinging about wildly. I'd argue the only jarring part is the way Vader collapses. The part prior to this seems to have better choreography than anything in ESB, IMO.

2. Agreed on RotS.

3. But what about her Sidious-stabs that provide clear evidence of her being a Palpatine?

relentless1
I base these on choreography, power involved and overall excitement:

1. Anakin vs Obi Wan

2. Maul vs Obi Wan and Qui Gon

3. Luke vs Vader II

4. Dooku vs Obi Wan/Anakin/Yoda

5. Dooku vs Anakin/Obi Wan

6. Sidious vs Mace

7. Luke vs Vader I

8. Yoda vs Sidious

9. Rey/Finn vs Kylo

10. Obi Wan vs Greivous

11. Vader vs Ben

Azronger
1. Luke vs Vader in RotJ
2. Luke vs Vader in ESB
3.Yoda vs Sidious
4. Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-Wan in RotS
5. Vader vs Obi-Wan in RotS
6. Duel of the Fates
7.. Sidious vs Mace and B-Team
8. Vader vs Obi-Wan in ANH
9. Yoda vs Dooku
10. Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-Wan in AotC
11. Obi-Wan vs General Grievous
12. Maul vs Qui-Gon
13. The TFA duel.

nfactor1995
1. Anakin vs Obi-Wan
2. Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (though I do agree that the stakes feel lacking, something I actually didn't notice until you mentioned it)
3. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku (ROTS)
4. Luke vs Vader ROTJ
5. Yoda vs Sidious
6. Obi-Wan vs Grievous (I actually liked this fight...)
7. Yoda vs Dooku
8. Sidious vs Mace & B-Team
9. Rey vs Kylo
10. Maul vs Qui-Gon (Tatooine)
11. Luke vs Vader (ESB)
12. Finn vs Kylo
13. Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-Wan (AOTC)
14. Vader vs Kenobi (ANH)

|King Joker|
So true that Rey's shit fighting style really hampered how Kylo looked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.