Creationist roadshow for kids touring in N Ireland

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ayelewis
http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/04/10/news/kids-creationist-dinosaur-roadshow-criticised-for-alternative-facts--991816/

I agree with both Boyd Sleator and a posting commentator from the topic's original link in regards that lying to children is a form of intellectual abuse.

Emperordmb
NB4 New Atheist circle jerk

Bashar Teg
INB4 pathetic deflection attempt

shit...too late

Robtard
Funny, because if schools started teaching Norse, Greek or Egyptian mythology as fact, by Thor's hammer you can bet these same people would blow a gasket; when their 6,000 year old Earth, talking snakes and magical gardens have no greater foothold on facts (scientifically speaking) than those other now defunct religions.

edit: Leave the teaching of faith-based beliefs in Churches, Mosques, Temples etc. Is what I'm saying.

Flyattractor
But they already teach little kids that their race and gender can be manipulated by the power of ...

https://media.giphy.com/media/QIiqoufLNmWo8/giphy.gif

Oh and just to point out one of our fave Leftist Soci-Nazis.
This is a ROAD SHOW! Not a Government Education Sanctioned School Curriculum. No one is FORCED to go to a ROADSHOW. No one is BEING FORCED to BELIEVE THIS DOCTRINE AT A ROAD SHOW!

Unlike in Govenrment run Schools where they DO act like they have the power to FORCE YOU TO BELIEVE their Nonsense. Like the Gender Thing.

But other then that....

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ayelewis
http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/04/10/news/kids-creationist-dinosaur-roadshow-criticised-for-alternative-facts--991816/

I agree with both Boyd Sleator and a posting commentator from the topic's original link in regards that lying to children is a form of intellectual abuse.

They'll get laughed at pretty much everywhere they go.

Except maybe Cork.

Robtard
Always has to be Cork. F--king Cork, man.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by -Pr-
They'll get laughed at pretty much everywhere they go.

Except maybe Cork. .

Got a news article to prove that or just your own Hate filled Biased Opinion of it?

Well the opinion you share with guys like Robbie.

Hate Filled and Narrow Minded that is.

Sacred Fire
Originally posted by Robtard
Funny, because if schools started teaching Norse, Greek or Egyptian mythology as fact, by Thor's hammer you can bet these same people would blow a gasket; when their 6,000 year old Earth, talking snakes and magical gardens have no greater foothold on facts (scientifically speaking) than those other now defunct religions.

edit: Leave the teaching of faith-based beliefs in Churches, Mosques, Temples etc. Is what I'm saying.

Funny you say that, because even the Norse practitioners of today (yes, there are still some) don't interpret their own mythology in a literal sense. haermm

Robtard
We call those people LARPers, not theist stick out tongue

Sacred Fire
We call those people LARPers, not theist stick out tongue

Lol.

But seriously, though...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/02/iceland-temple-norse-gods-1000-years

It's kinda old news at this point, but I still thought it was pretty interesting to find out about.

(KMC topic on the matter: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=608210&highlight=Asatru+forumid%3A80)

Robtard
"A modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in recent years as followers see the stories as metaphors for life not worship of the gods" -snip

We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology-snip

Really have no problem with that and good for them if it makes them be better people in their day-to-day lives. The problem is when one's religion/beliefs is used to bash and oppress others.

Flyattractor
"A modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in recent years as followers see the stories as metaphors for life not worship of the gods" -snip

We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology-snip

Really have no problem with that and good for them if it makes them be better people in their day-to-day lives. The problem is when one's religion/beliefs is used to bash and oppress others.

Kind of like how certain groups have pretty much turned Politics into a Religion and use that to bash and oppress others?

Sacred Fire

Really have no problem with that and good for them if it makes them be better people in their day-to-day lives.

Truly. The way I see it, that's all a religion should be: a set of moral guidelines and principles by which to live coupled with a good story and some ceremony. No pedantic bickering about whose version of the story is better; no exploitation of purported faith as a platform for pushing secular political agenda; just more of the "live, let live, and do it well" philosophy that I had once better expected of it.

Like I basically just said, I feel like the problem lies slightly less with people adopting their ideas from religion (though, I won't deny that to be a legitimate problem, likely stemming from fearful indoctrination) and more to do with people looking to propagate and justify indefensibly unethical beliefs they already hold. In other words, I posit that it's mostly the result and cause of false belief, as I think one who was more true to their faith would make a better point of remembering its core principles and actually living by them.

Anyways, just my two cents, for what it's worth.

-Pr-
Always has to be Cork. F--king Cork, man.

thumb up

Originally posted by Flyattractor

Got a news article to prove that or just your own Hate filled Biased Opinion of it?

Well the opinion you share with guys like Robbie.

Hate Filled and Narrow Minded that is.

Do you think Irish people at large believe dinosaurs and humans existed together at the same time? Really?

Flyattractor
thumb up

Do you think Irish people at large believe dinosaurs and humans existed together at the same time? Really?

But Humans were there , in what ever evolutionary from they may have had at the time. Unless you believe that Humanity just popped up out of nothing at some point...
rolling on floor laughing

ArtificialGlory
But Humans were there , in what ever evolutionary from they may have had at the time. Unless you believe that Humanity just popped up out of nothing at some point...
At that point in history the closest thing to humans were small, primitive mammals.

-Pr-

Basically this:

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
At that point in history the closest thing to humans were small, primitive mammals.

==

I checked the list of their shows, and funnily enough, there isn't a Dublin one. That says a lot, imo.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory

That is only a guess. Man may have in fact been more evolved at that point in pre history. THINK ON THAT!

Beniboybling
Wow, this is the kinda shit DMB stand ms for. sad

Surtur
Originally posted by Ayelewis

They will argue it's not actually lying because they are just preaching what they believe.

Also here is the thing, this is something you have to willingly attend. You would have to buy tickets for it. Any parents insane enough to do this have already been feeding their kids creationist bullshit.

If this was actually coming to schools I'd be more upset, but the people who would attend these things have already been brainwashed.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Surtur
They will argue it's not actually lying because they are just preaching what they believe.

Also here is the thing, this is something you have to willingly attend. You would have to buy tickets for it. Any parents insane enough to do this have already been feeding their kids creationist bullshit.

If this was actually coming to schools I'd be more upset, but the people who would attend these things have already been brainwashed. Hate to break it to you but pseudo sciences and history are already in schools in the conservative south. I myself have encountered a history textbook in Texas that says slavery was a form of indentured servitude and many slaves joined the confederate army to fight the northerners, which is clearly revisionism...

Surtur
Originally posted by Firefly218
Hate to break it to you but pseudo sciences and history are already in schools in the conservative south. I myself have encountered a history textbook in Texas that says slavery was a form of indentured servitude and many slaves joined the confederate army to fight the northerners, which is clearly revisionism...

I agree that example you gave is bad and a problem that needs to be rectified, but I would honestly feel a lot more alarmed by people telling kids that science is bogus, which is more or less what creationism does IMO. It says science is bullshit and Jesus probably rode a dinosaur as a form of transportation.

-Pr-

If this was actually coming to schools I'd be more upset, but the people who would attend these things have already been brainwashed.

Or they really, really want to see the dinosaur models.

Originally posted by Firefly218
Hate to break it to you but pseudo sciences and history are already in schools in the conservative south. I myself have encountered a history textbook in Texas that says slavery was a form of indentured servitude and many slaves joined the confederate army to fight the northerners, which is clearly revisionism...

Thankfully, Irish textbooks aren't that bad.

Surtur
Or they really, really want to see the dinosaur models.

Well I do not live there so I do not know what your dinosaur situation is like in terms of options for other dinosaur models.

If this is the only place for people to see dinosaur models that almost makes it more dastardly, they are abusing the good name of dinosaurs in order to lure children in.

-Pr-
Well I do not live there so I do not know what your dinosaur situation is like in terms of options for other dinosaur models.

If this is the only place for people to see dinosaur models that almost makes it more dastardly, they are abusing the good name of dinosaurs in order to lure children in.

There aren't many shows where you can see them, no. Especially not travelling ones.

Surtur
What about museums? I mean as an alternative, if a kid is into dinosaurs.

-Pr-
What about museums? I mean as an alternative, if a kid is into dinosaurs.

We have a natural history museum, which is great, but it's not as good as I would imagine a lot of American museums are.

jaden101
Spazzies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.