The Dark Tower (2017)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Full trailer on the way!

As if you didn't know, The Dark Tower is based on Stephen King's epic work about the Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, who roams an Old West-like landscape where "the world has moved on" in pursuit of the Man in Black.

Starring Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey and Katheryn Winnick.

bBGpfih7XdI

Dreampanther
This looks epic.

"You're going to like Earth."

GjwfqXTebIY

riv6672
Fun.
Looks like they changed a lot of it, which i dont mind.

steverules_2
I like Idris Elba so this could be fun

Quincy
Idris Elba is cool and the gunslinger himself looks badass but I can't imagine this being any good

riv6672
^^^odd.

Quincy
I'll re-word that for you.

I think Idris Elba is a very talented actor and I think he was an inspired choice to play Roland. I also think the design of his character fits well, and the look of the Gunslinger itself with the way he reloads and uses his skills seems cool.

However, I don't believe that this adaptation will amount to much, and will ultimately fail in it's live-action adaptation of the source material. With condensing the bulk of the work, re-framing, and re-contextualizing the story itself, the film will in my opinion, likely feel hollow.

Kazenji
From what i've read regarding the movie its going to be done as as a continuation, As some photo's have shown Roland with the object Horn of Eld

http://ew.com/article/2016/07/14/dark-tower-movie-wont-feature-eddie-susannah/

Quincy
Right right I forgot about that. Well I guess I've less reason to be suspect of the plot.

Hopefully they really treat it as such instead of it being just a wink and a nod to the constant reader.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Quincy

I think Idris Elba is a very talented actor and I think he was an inspired choice to play Roland. I also think the design of his character fits well, and the look of the Gunslinger itself with the way he reloads and uses his skills seems cool.

However, I don't believe that this adaptation will amount to much, and will ultimately fail in it's live-action adaptation of the source material. With condensing the bulk of the work, re-framing, and re-contextualizing the story itself, the film will in my opinion, likely feel hollow.

I know nothing of the source material, but I'm a little skeptical of this film also. Only because the narrative seems like it might be a little awkward and it will probably take a lot to make the fantasy elements convincing. The juxtaposition of a Western-style gun wielding hero with what appears to be fantastical elements feels a little awkward. I hope it works, though.

But I will definitely be interested just for the simple facts of Idris Elba and Matthew McConahaybluewyblah.. thumb up

riv6672
Originally posted by Quincy

Less odd. Thanks for explaining.

Having read the source material, i dont mind that by its very nature a movie adaptation is going to be condensed, re-framed, and re-contextualized.

Esau Cairn
My recollection of reading the 1st novel was that King had some cool ideas but not necessarily a storyline to connect those ideas together.

Then dragging the story into several novels just felt like contractual obligation rather than a great tale to tell.

ares834

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
My recollection of reading the 1st novel was that King had some cool ideas but not necessarily a storyline to connect those ideas together.

Then dragging the story into several novels just felt like contractual obligation rather than a great tale to tell.

So a single condensed film should be better, yes?

ares834
That would be awful. Anyway, this isn't an adptation of the books. It's a sequel.

Quincy
I felt the same way reading The Gunslinger as you described Ares. Well put

BruceSkywalker
will read the books after I see this

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
So a single condensed film should be better, yes?

I'm not the one to speculate.

King dragged the series to 7 novels I think.

The 1st novel ended without a hint of where the story was going.
Then there was like a 3 year gap before the 2nd was published.

In that period I lost interest.

But as Ares pointed out, this is a sequel to the 7 novels (weird concept) & not an adaptation.

PaleMysts
Looks stupid, it's some hack fantasy movie.

TheOneFirestorm
I'm excited for this feature movie of a epic fantasy horror book series.

It is pretty dumb to change the Gunslinger to a black man. No doubt no logical reason for that change if they aren't going to do it right then don't do it at all.

Patient_Leech
Is the studio concerned about this? No reviews yet...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017

BruceSkywalker
seeing on saturday

Kazenji
Is the studio concerned about this? No reviews yet...

I've seen something somewhere the review embargo should be lifted soon.

Kazenji
Joblo has their review up

4/10

the reviewer thinks the movie is an adaptation of the books, When its clearly been stated its a sequel to them.

Dr Will Hatch
I keep reading about how the Dark Tower movie sucks, and it makes me wonder whether Tom Rothman is the real Randall Flagg.

Kazenji
But does it suck because people think its an adaptation of the books?....when they already have said its a follow up to them.

Patient_Leech
Why would they not start from the beginning of the books?

Sounds like they've doomed this to fail from the start.

Khazra Reborn
One of my friends saw this, told me it was shit minus the two lead actors, who I guess we're both really good.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, if it is indeed a continuation of the books and not an adaptation of them, then I have lost almost all interest. The film clearly shot itself in the foot because I imagine many are in the same boat I am having not read the books. I simply don't have the patience for long Stephen King books, but I might be interested in a film adaptation.

And yeah, it's not sounding good...

Esau Cairn
The biggest gripe I've read so far is that the film is short at 95 minutes long.

The storyline is oversimplified & a lot of the characters lose their backstories/motives.

Talon Fang
I don't know. I kind of find it refreshing to see that a movie can be made in less then a near 3 hour sit. Even with the new reclining chairs and all, that is still a long time to sit in one place with out really being able to get up and move around.

jaden101
This looks terrible but the books have enough of a following that it probably won't be a total box office disaster.

BruceSkywalker
I will laugh if this makes money

Kazenji
SOYLBoXdqlo

Patient_Leech
^ C+

Well, the RT consensus is useless, in fact it doesn't even make sense to me...

That communicates nothing about the film.

But the good news is that audiences seem to be enjoying the movie much more than critics. 20% vs 64%

Patient_Leech
Oh, I just got more interest in this. I didn't realize Jackie Earle Haley is in it.

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2016/07/idris-elba-battles-jackie-earle-haley-on-dark-tower-set.jpg

He's great on Preacher.

Surtur
I'm not hearing good things about this. A shame, looks like it probably won't turn into a tv show.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
The biggest gripe I've read so far is that the film is short at 95 minutes long.

The storyline is oversimplified & a lot of the characters lose their backstories/motives.

Lol, what were they thinking making this only 95 minutes long?

Kazenji
Sounds like the movie was the victim of the studio attempted to make it part of a shared universe or franchise since that's the rage these days, Not every movie needs to be part of a shared universe or franchise.

Impediment
Two friends of mine have told me that this adaptation is extremely sub-par.

BruceSkywalker
this is a pretty good movie... haven't read the books but a friend told me that they used several parts of the 1st book and a couple others.

I enjoyed this.. unlike others I do not let critics sway me one way or the other, I go and judge for myself.. that being said again if this makes money I will laugh so damn hard at people..

8/10

roughrider
Originally posted by Surtur
I'm not hearing good things about this. A shame, looks like it probably won't turn into a tv show.

Lol, what were they thinking making this only 95 minutes long?

Sounds like there was heavy editing battles backstage.

Wait these many years for the adaptation...then they end up making up on the cheap in Eastern Europe with some no-name director, and butcher the final edit. Just great.

Surtur
Originally posted by roughrider
Sounds like there was heavy editing battles backstage.

Wait these many years for the adaptation...then they end up making up on the cheap in Eastern Europe with some no-name director, and butcher the final edit. Just great.

Yep, seems like it potentially might have all been for nothing. It's a shame if Idris Elba was squandered.

Insane Titan
As someone who's never read the book. Can I go see this and enjoy it as just a fun movie etc.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Insane Titan
As someone who's never read the book. Can I go see this and enjoy it as just a fun movie etc.

yes...

i've never read any of the books either

Insane Titan
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
yes...

i've never read any of the books either cool, cheers

NemeBro
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
this is a pretty good movie... haven't read the books but a friend told me that they used several parts of the 1st book and a couple others.

I enjoyed this.. unlike others I do not let critics sway me one way or the other, I go and judge for myself.. that being said again if this makes money I will laugh so damn hard at people..

8/10 Thanks for sharing your thoughts, you've convinced me not to see it. thumb up

Adam Grimes
Lol at box office being indicative of the movie's quality. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Insane Titan
cool, cheers

i will prolly read the novels when i get the chance...

Kazenji
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Lol at box office being indicative of the movie's quality. thumb up

Then i guess other movies with a poor box office is dogshit too..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Patient_Leech
Watched this. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it on some level. Idris Elba and Matthew Mchanahey (**** I don't want to look up how to spell his name) are both somewhat interesting, and even the kid is pretty good. I was interested enough to see where it was going, but I found myself laughing at it on several occasions and it really didn't go anywhere interesting. It's a bad movie. I was actually cheering for the monsters and demons and whatnot to be unleashed. They aren't shown enough. Seems like the film could have easily had another 20 or 30 minutes to make it more interesting. Instead it feels like just a half-assed attempt at sci-fi/fantasy. To me there is a disconnect between the technology and modern worlds and the fantasy elements and more archaic realms (is that the right word?) and the Man in Black's sorcery. And it really felt like the mythology wasn't layed out well enough. I can totally see why critics slammed this. It's a bad movie.

Oh, did I mention the terrible Coca-Cola product placement?

Oh, I just got more interest in this. I didn't realize Jackie Earle Haley is in it.

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2016/07/idris-elba-battles-jackie-earle-haley-on-dark-tower-set.jpg

He's great on Preacher.

He is extremely underused and just sort of gets shot and hit by a car and dies... haha.. I laughed at that part.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.